Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Still not 'duly elected' Arizona Governor -- Kari Lake, TFG Endorsee

SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I get those a lot. I've never responded to one.
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

orlylicious wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:08 pm
Brahm Resnik @brahmresnik 49m
NOW ⁦@KariLake⁩ says she’s organizing ‘largest ballot-chasing operation’ in the country. Got $1 million committed. That’s the BIG announcement. (Mark Finchem also behind her at newser.)

Brahm Resnik @brahmresnik 46m
MORE Lake says she will keep fighting court case. Her lawyers have lost 5 rulings w 4 judges in 2 court systems. Lawyers sanctioned twice in 2 different courts for misleading judges.
According to a Kari Lake supporter this means she's going for "Ballot harvesting, early voting, mailing ballots, etc." That's going to piss Mike Lindell off bigtime if true. He's 100% against all that, and he funded her court cases.

We're going to need tons more popcorn. :rotflmao:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Reeeeeaaaallist, I'm starting to PANIC. The dynamic duo of Leo and Ryan are supremely confident.

Leo Appeal Win.JPG
Leo Appeal Win.JPG (66.02 KiB) Viewed 734 times

He did another Space but too skeered to listen right now.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

They can only appeal to your national SCOTUS now, yes?

And they've turned down election deniers before, so what's the point, just for grifting?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Grumpy Git wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:25 pm They can only appeal to your national SCOTUS now, yes?

And they've turned down election deniers before, so what's the point, just for grifting?
No, they've the AZ Appeals (which they might skip) and AZ Supreme courts ahead of them still.

But yes to your second question fo shure.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:27 pm
Grumpy Git wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:25 pm They can only appeal to your national SCOTUS now, yes?

No, they've the AZ Appeals (which they might skip) and AZ Supreme courts ahead of them still.

But yes to your second question fo shure.
I'm confused, I thought the AZ Supreme Court had already washed their hands of this case, which is why they kicked it back down to this lower court?

BTW this Leo Donofrio, Esq. I thought his name rang a bell, I recall he was on Mike Lindell's show about three/four months ago talking utter Klingon, another legal 'expert' happy to fleece more money out of Lake and Lindell.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Git, it's a good question because it's confusing. And Kari Lake and other election deniers want it that way.

The Arizona Supreme Court threw out all of Kari Lake's case except for one count, the count about signature verification. They remanded (sent back) that one count to Judge Thompson because he originally ruled it was too late to challenge the process (called "laches"). Arizona Supreme Court said laches wasn't good enough to dismiss that count. So that's what the trial was about, that one issue. And they failed to prove that and lost again.

Now, Lake can appeal (again) to the Court of Appeals, or try to skip them and go directly back to the Arizona Supreme Court (which, IIRC, she's tried twice already and the AZ Supreme Court rejected that and said go to the Appeals Court first). It's important to note that appellate courts do NOT hear new information (which LakeBots and others seem to think can happen). They just review decisions for accuracy (like how the AZ Supreme Court remanded the one issue).

Or (they seem to think) they can just appeal to the US Supreme Court (but almost always all lower courts must be exhausted, so they'd have to fail at AZ Supreme Court again). It's all bogus, all for grifting and making people doubt the election process. Then they trumpet that people don't trust elections. They're using losing and grifting as a business model and it sucks.

Donofrio goes back to the Birther days, he's been wrong and lost court cases for decades.

Reality is an endlessly useful political opponent
Analysis by Philip Bump National columnist May 23, 2023 at 10:29 a.m. EDT

Kari Lake lost the Arizona gubernatorial election by about 17,000 of the votes cast by Nov. 8, 2022.

She lost the election in the mind of the public when it was called by the Associated Press on Nov. 14. She lost officially when the election was certified on Dec. 5.

She lost the election again on Dec. 24, when a judge threw out a legal challenge to the results. She lost again on Feb. 17 when her appeal was denied. And she lost again on Monday, when a court rejected her argument that flaws in the process for counting absentee ballots warranted reconsideration of the contest.

That’s something like six losses in the same contest, if you’re counting. But Lake is as unchastened as she was on Nov. 9, when — after earning Donald Trump’s endorsement by echoing his false claims about election fraud — she began claiming that her own loss was tainted. In the aftermath of that most recent legal rejection, she retweeted a meme suggesting that the way in which absentee ballots were counted was suspect.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... se-claims/
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
bob

Post by bob »

orlylicious wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:11 pmDonofrio goes back to the Birther days, he's been wrong and lost court cases for decades.
:fingerwag: :

:rockon:
Image ImageImage
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

One thing I am not sure on. Can the go to SCOTUS now on the parts that SCOAZ denied? Do they need to wait for the other part? If they wait for the other part, could they blow the clock on the first parts? Is it the opinion of the whole case that has to go, and therefore the parts denied earlier don't start tolling on the clock until the final part gets to SCOAZ?

Not that it really matters for this case.
101010 :towel:
bob

Post by bob »

northland10 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:29 pm One thing I am not sure on. Can the go to SCOTUS now on the parts that SCOAZ denied? Do they need to wait for the other part? If they wait for the other part, could they blow the clock on the first parts? Is it the opinion of the whole case that has to go, and therefore the parts denied earlier don't start tolling on the clock until the final part gets to SCOAZ?
They certainly could try. And it wouldn't be ridiculous to do so.

But SCOAZ kicked it back to the trial court, so SCOAZ hasn't issued a final ruling on the case yet.

Oh:
Image ImageImage
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Last time SCOAZ told Heath, "go away, boy, you bother us." I don't think he has improved since then.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

northland10 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:29 pm Can the go to SCOTUS now on the parts that SCOAZ denied? Do they need to wait for the other part?
Probably not to the first question, and probably yes to the second.

It would ultimately be an issue of federal law under 28 U.S.C. § 1257, which limits the Supreme Court's certiorari jurisdiction to "[f]inal judgments or decrees rendered by the highest court of a State." The federal law issue would have an embedded issue of what constitutes a final judgment under Arizona law. I can't be bothered to look up any of it. :yawn:

But piecemeal appeals are usually not a thing, although there can be a procedure for splitting off an issue for separate judgment and immediate appeal.* It would be weird to do that here, and even the current MAGATs on the Court probably wouldn't use Lake's case as an opportunity to play legal Calvinball.
northland10 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:29 pm If they wait for the other part, could they blow the clock on the first parts? Is it the opinion of the whole case that has to go, and therefore the parts denied earlier don't start tolling on the clock until the final part gets to SCOAZ?
Again, probably not for the first question, and probably yes to the second.

________
* In federal court this is governed by FRCP 54(b:)
Judgment on Multiple Claims or Involving Multiple Parties. When an action presents more than one claim for relief—whether as a claim, counterclaim, crossclaim, or third-party claim—or when multiple parties are involved, the court may direct entry of a final judgment as to one or more, but fewer than all, claims or parties only if the court expressly determines that there is no just reason for delay. Otherwise, any order or other decision, however designated, that adjudicates fewer than all the claims or the rights and liabilities of fewer than all the parties does not end the action as to any of the claims or parties and may be revised at any time before the entry of a judgment adjudicating all the claims and all the parties’ rights and liabilities.
New York State has a squirrelly procedure for optional "interlocutory" (immediate) appeals of practically every order a court might make in the course of a litigation. Waiver of appeal rights can get complicated, and I always have to look it up. But this case is not in New York

Edit: That was a very lawyerly question to ask, and there are very, very few lawyers who can competently trust their instincts on the question of Supreme Court jurisdiction in a complex and quickly-moving case. If I were involved in representing Lake ( :sick: ), several experienced people would have made sure that they had refreshed their understanding of the interplay of Arizona appellate procedure with the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court, and they would have checked again at each stage.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Wasn't Foggy in Leo's rock band? I remember Foggy using this same logo: :rockon:

Now Blehm is interacting with Leo along with dead-ender Josh Barnett :lol:

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

PS: The election deniers are doing a Space, over 8500 wailing at 8:50pm EDT at

All the best people are there... Brick Suit, David Jose... looked if RDA was there but no, he would have been a wonderful speaker :(

Brick Suit David Jose.JPG
Brick Suit David Jose.JPG (60.92 KiB) Viewed 574 times
bob

Post by bob »

SANCTIONS REQUEST IN ARIZONA— Maricopa County has requested sanctions against Kari Lake and her lawyers, @washingtonpost has learned. The other defendants have joined the request, which includes an award for attorneys fees.
Image ImageImage
northland10

Post by northland10 »

The key phrase in the law for checking signatures is "elector's registration record." It does not say the voter registration form but only their election record. That record could, I assume, contain the signature on the form, a driver's or other state ID signature when applying while renewing or applying for a DL, or signatures collected from prior elections (that form we sign when we vote in person).

Leo is creating a narrow definition that does not exist in the law.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Lake should just change her name to Didulo, move to Canada, & proclaim herself Queen.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Luke

Post by Luke »

I'd love to see a knock down drag out between Lake and Didulo.

Hidden Content
Attachments
Leo Like.JPG
Leo Like.JPG (38.28 KiB) Viewed 500 times
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

orlylicious wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:57 pm I'd love to see a knock down drag out between Lake and Didulo.

Hidden Content
But, since the alleged discrepancy is in the EPM, laches applies and Lake still loses.
Luke

Post by Luke »

As Stern quoting Orly would say, de minimis.

Hidden Content
Attachments
Leo Liz News.JPG
Leo Liz News.JPG (32.49 KiB) Viewed 482 times
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I am too lazy to be blocked by Leo. If I were not, I would have replied to him that I would more likely listen to somebody practicing actual law and not Ryan and Leo playing Look At Me Law.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

northland10 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:46 am Look At Me Law.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Luke

Post by Luke »

The deadline is EOD today to file if any of the defendants want to pursue sanctions against Lake.

Hidden Content
Luke

Post by Luke »

Hidden Content
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I attempted to duplicate Leo's web archive search, but was unable to do so. Nothing I tried using recorder.maricopa.gov came up with a page that had that information, which looks like it actually came from elections.maricopa.gov :think:

ETA: Nevermind, I found it under FAQs. Here's what Leo cut off: "If the packet is deemed to have a missing or non-matching signature, it is then sent for further review to a higher-level staff member who has been trained in signature verification."

As I recall from the testimony, Level 1 review had a limited number of exemplars, while Level 2 had access to additional exemplars. Also, note that even the part included and circled by Leo said "form or forms."
Luke

Post by Luke »

They are so excited.
Hidden Content
Attachments
Kim Block.JPG
Kim Block.JPG (93.76 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Trolls Puke.JPG
Trolls Puke.JPG (68.42 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Kim Leo.JPG
Kim Leo.JPG (82.68 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Ryan Leo Kim.JPG
Ryan Leo Kim.JPG (55.24 KiB) Viewed 342 times

Return to “Governors & State Elections”