Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Still not 'duly elected' Arizona Governor -- Kari Lake, TFG Endorsee

noblepa

Post by noblepa »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:50 pm IFF one shoots up vertically, the bullet ought eventually drop back. Stepping out of the landing zone is advised :twisted:
If one shoots perfectly vertically, and the bullet travels upward for three seconds and falls back to earth in three seconds, for a total flight time of six seconds, the earth will have rotated 1 2/3 miles under the bullet (assuming earth surface speed of 1,000 mph). Farther if bullet travels for more than six seconds.

The shooter is in no danger.

Someone 1 2/3 miles to the west had better watch out.

ETA: I just did a little google-fu and found that the muzzle velocity of a 30-06 hunting rifle varies between 2,700 and 3,100 feet-per-second, depending on the type and quantity of powder used, weight of the bullet and barrel length. If I remember my high school physics correctly, that means that a 30-06 round fired directly upwards at 2,700 fps, will travel upwards for 21 seconds (total flight time: 42 sec.) and will land 11.6 miles west of the location from which it was fired.

And a 30-06 is not a particularly powerful rifle.
much ado

Post by much ado »

noblepa wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:08 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:50 pm IFF one shoots up vertically, the bullet ought eventually drop back. Stepping out of the landing zone is advised :twisted:
If one shoots perfectly vertically, and the bullet travels upward for three seconds and falls back to earth in three seconds, for a total flight time of six seconds, the earth will have rotated 1 2/3 miles under the bullet (assuming earth surface speed of 1,000 mph). Farther if bullet travels for more than six seconds.

If that were true, then when someone tosses a ball vertically, it should also start moving to the west at about 1,000 mph as soon as it leaves the persons hand. The issue is that the person, the hand, and the ball are all moving to the east at that speed. So the ball appears to go straight up and come straight down. The same thing holds for a bullet shot from a gun.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

neonzx wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:55 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:20 pm
neonzx wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:14 pm Wow, that's some serious firepower she must be wielding. The "balloon" is over 12 miles high.
And, last I heard, it was over Montana.
And why would they want to spy on Montana -- in the WINTER? I mean, it's lovely outdoorsie country and all but...
My understanding is that the base there is one of the intercontinental missile sites. FWIW.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

neonzx wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:55 pm :snippity:

And why would they want to spy on Montana -- in the WINTER? I mean, it's lovely outdoorsie country and all but...
ICBM launch sites.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

A bullet falling thru air would reach a terminal velocity of about 300 feet per second. Not likely to do much damage if it hits someone.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

ETA: I just did a little google-fu and found that the muzzle velocity of a 30-06 hunting rifle varies between 2,700 and 3,100 feet-per-second, depending on the type and quantity of powder used, weight of the bullet and barrel length. If I remember my high school physics correctly, that means that a 30-06 round fired directly upwards at 2,700 fps, will travel upwards for 21 seconds (total flight time: 42 sec.) and will land 11.6 miles west of the location from which it was fired.

:nope:

You're forgetting the initial angular velocity of the bullet :fingerwag: Using w for angular velocity (instead of the correct lower case omega), you have w=v/r. We can assume v = 1,000 mph for both the ground and the bullet, but r does change with altitude, so there will be a slight lag. Montana is at about 45 degrees latitude, so we can multiply the radius of the earth (3,960 miles) by inverse of square root of 2 (.71) to get r0 of 2,800 miles (we need this because the earth is spinning on an axis, the radius of the circular motion is dependent on latitude). According to Mythbusters (which I admit can be dicey at times), a 30-06 would go about 10,000 feet up, but because of drag, it would take about a minute to land. So our rpeak would be 2,801 miles. Let's now look at how much faster the bullet's lateral speed would have to be to land on the same spot - that is, constant w. vpeak = v*rpeak/r0 = 1,000*2801/2800 = 1,000.36 mph. To be conservative, let's assume the bullet is at the peak altitude the entire minute (obviously it will be less than that). Given our delta v, 0.36 mph, the bullet will lag by less than 0.36 mi/hr * 1 min * hr/(60 min) = .006 mi = 34 feet. In reality, it'll be a bit more than half that, maybe 20-25 feet.
raison de arizona

We had shot spotter in Brooklyn, and it’s in Phoenix too. They’ll nail you. Montana, you’re probably ok.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Better…. For one thing a bullet shot vertically goes up as a spinning bullet (ballistic) with less drag than how it falls (as a tumbling body) at terminal velocity.

In any case, plenty of people are injured or killed from celebratory gunfire.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I seem to remember Mythbusters busting that one.

Too many variables for it to come straight down - perfectly vertical (90.00000000... degrees or just a tiny bit off), wind naturally, and even the spin of the Earth.

And also the terminal velocity of the falling bullet (200-300 feet per second) is around 10% of the muzzle velocity (2000 - 3000 fps?) depending on cartridge and bullet. And it is tumbling when it comes down.

Can it still kill you? Don't know. There are no recorded instances. Can it hurt you? Sure. A bullet travelling at 200-300 feet per second is going to hurt if it hits you but reports of falling bullets breaking the skin are unverified and may be due to bullets fired at less than 90 degrees.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona

Shannon’s law in AZ. Shannon Smith.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon's ... prov=sfti1
keith

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:26 am Shannon’s law in AZ. Shannon Smith.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon's ... prov=sfti1
Interesting, and its incredible that Smiths killing was 'only a misdemeanor', but Smith was not struck by a bullet shot straight up into the air. Clearly a shot fired at a 45 degree angle is still going to have a lot more of its muzzle velocity when it strikes you.

Growing up in Tucson, it was well understood that discharging a firearm inside the city limits was against the law, and if it resulted in injury you were in big trouble. I'm not sure what Shannon's Law adds to that.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

keith wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:11 am
Can it still kill you? Don't know. There are no recorded instances. Can it hurt you? Sure. A bullet travelling at 200-300 feet per second is going to hurt if it hits you but reports of falling bullets breaking the skin are unverified and may be due to bullets fired at less than 90 degrees.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5912041/
In 2007, after Iraqi football team won the Asian cup, three people were killed in Baghdad amid widespread gunshots as fans celebrated.[10] From January 2006 to December 2010, 165 patients with a history of stray bullet injuries were admitted in a public sector university hospital in Hyderabad, 13 of which died.[11] Between December 31, 2003, and January 1, 2004, in Puerto Rico, falling bullets from celebratory gunfire of the new year caused 19 injuries and one death.[12] In 1991, celebratory gunfire in Kuwait at the end of the Gulf War II was blamed for 20 deaths.[7] In August 8, 1988, thousands were injured and hundreds died after the Iran–Iraq war ceasefire; almost all of them were injured by falling bullets.[9] Between the years 1985 and 1992, in Los Angeles, doctors treated 118 people for random falling-bullet injuries at King/Drew Medical Center, and 38 of them died.[13]
tek

Post by tek »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:47 am A bullet falling thru air would reach a terminal velocity of about 300 feet per second. Not likely to do much damage if it hits someone.
Several dozen people here in south florida are injured every year by bullets falling out of the sky after being shot into the air by revelers
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

From a research paper:
The bullets’ terminal velocity required to penetrate the skin is between 45.1 and 60.0 m/s (148 and 197 ft/s), and bullets traveling at <60.0 m/s (200 ft/s) can penetrate the skull. If kept in mind that the falling bullets have the capability of reaching up to 180 m/s (600 ft/s), the bullets could cause double penetration of the skull not only one pierce.
So 60 m/s or 200 ft/s can penetrate skin or skull.

Source (Journal of Neurosciences in Rural Practice): Abdali, Hoz & Moscote-Salazar (2018): Cranial Gravitational (Falling) Bullet Injuries: Point of View
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Penetrating Ms. Lake's skull might pose a challenge. :|

Edit: Oh, you were talking about bullets. :doh:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Foggy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:36 am Penetrating Ms. Lake's skull might pose a challenge. :|

Edit: Oh, you were talking about bullets. :doh:
Once it gets inside it has a clear path all the way through though.* :lol:

*NADT
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

From what I understand from Mythbusters and various online articles:

If fired on a true verticle, a 30-06 could get about 10,000 feet and a handgun around 4,000 feet (this is from articles and is an estimation since it depends on various factors). Mythbusters found, at least with a handgun, a bullet fired straight up and thus falling at its terminal velocity would not be enough to kill somebody.

However, people shooting in the air would very rarely be shooting directly verticle to their location, and that changes everything. Because, even at the slightest deviation, the round would no longer come to essentially a stop and start falling but instead would follow a ballistics trajectory (sorry if I got some terminology wrong), and therefore the returning round would be traveling faster than its terminal velocity. This could kill or seriously injure a person.

A bunch of the RWNJ followers would likely believe Lake and Junior on this stupidity. I doubt they have considered how they might see a balloon flying at 60,000 feet. I don't know if they make scopes that strong. Maybe if it was pouring chemtrails along the way, but then, you only need a spray bottle of vinegar to protect the world.
101010 :towel:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

There's a lunatic named Michele Swinick, she supposedly was an "election judge" in Maricopa (just a glorified observer). She's like a chipmunk on speed. She's been at all of Leo's spaces, apparently, she has a show of her own.

idk why but the show stops at 5:19 after some survival food ads. Maybe Rumble is still processing it, but it's been up for a while. It starts up again at 16:29 or so with Leo. Is this really what he looks like??? What a handsome and professional photo. Now I see why Realist was so panicked. It's just this still photo on the video. He still sounds like Dick Morris to me.

Leo In Da Car.JPG
Leo In Da Car.JPG (93.67 KiB) Viewed 492 times

Note how she copies all nutters for this nonsense. She should really call it The BS Hour. He's still going on about real-time provisional ballots.

🖥Everything Home Talk Show 🇺🇸THEY STOLE ARIZONA @EverythingHomeT 19h
🚨 WATCH LIVE TODAY - ARIZONA ELECTION FRAUD REVEALED! How They Really Stole It!
5pm MT / 7pm ET
@LCDLAW1 joins me for the hour "There is nothing hidden that will not be known" LUKE 12:2
@Rach_IC @BerryRazi @EmeraldRobinson @JDRucker @BarnettforAZ @LizHarrisMBA @redwildcat

Skip to 16:29 for Leo when the video restarts (they can't even get video processing right).

https://rumble.com/v2890j4-live-5pm-mt- ... k9&mrefc=2
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Kendra wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:05 pm
I’m told there’s a balloon that needs to be taken care of?
Even if she climbed up on top of a mountain made up of the Arizona ballots from 2022 she still wouldn't have enough range to shoot that balloon with that shotgun.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
realist

Post by realist »

by orlylicious » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:35 am
There's a lunatic named Michele Swinick, she supposedly was an "election judge" in Maricopa (just a glorified observer). She's like a chipmunk on speed. She's been at all of Leo's spaces, apparently, she has a show of her own.

idk why but the show stops at 5:19 after some survival food ads. Maybe Rumble is still processing it, but it's been up for a while. It starts up again at 16:29 or so with Leo. Is this really what he looks like???
It depends.
Here as Birther attorney:
Leo Donofrio Birther Lawyer.jpg
Leo Donofrio Birther Lawyer.jpg (24.69 KiB) Viewed 413 times
Poker Player:
Leo Donofrio Poker Player.jpg
Leo Donofrio Poker Player.jpg (58.26 KiB) Viewed 413 times
I have one somewhere of him and his rock band, but couldn't quickly find it.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Your maths are a little off there. By about 11 miles give or take.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Gregg wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:09 pm

You are kidding me? Is this why when I go outside and jump off a ladder, I don't land several feet away? Oh, that's because I was already in motion with the earth's rotation. Thank you, Newton. :biggrin:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

neonzx wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:24 pm
Gregg wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:09 pm

You are kidding me? Is this why when I go outside and jump off a ladder, I don't land several feet away? Oh, that's because I was already in motion with the earth's rotation. Thank you, Newton. :biggrin:
Good thing too, imagine jumping straight up on an airplane that travels half a mile away from under you.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
keith

Post by keith »

keith wrote:
200 fps is about 136 mph.

A Major League baseball pitch AVERAGES around 92mph.

The bullet has much less mass than a baseball, so less momentum, but that momentum will be applied over a much smaller area when it hits you.

It'll hurt.

A lot.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Uggh… Topic was hajacked a long time ago… but…
Wikipedia has an entire article on “Celebratory Gunfire”— (Sugar Magnolia quoted from it too)— in short plenty of people die from vertically shot guns.

Most disappointing is that, especially in this group, no one would do a simple Google search.

Can we move on? Please please please?

Return to “Governors & State Elections”