Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

School related violence

Kendra

Re: School related violence

Post by Kendra »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you for posting this.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Damn! What a good speech. :clap:
(I watched it twice)
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

In Michigan School Shooting, First Lawsuits Are Filed
The parents of two sisters who survived the Oxford High School shootings have filed two $100 million suits against the district and its officials.

By Dana Goldstein
Dec. 9, 2021 Updated 11:34 a.m. ET

The parents of two sisters who survived the Nov. 30 shooting at Oxford High School in suburban Detroit filed two $100 million lawsuits in federal court on Thursday against the school district and its officials, including the superintendent, principal, dean of students, two guidance counselors and two teachers.

The plaintiffs are Jeffrey and Brandi Franz, parents of Riley, a 17-year old senior, and Bella, a 14-year old freshman. Riley was shot in the neck in front of her sister.

The lawsuit claims constitutional violations under the 14th Amendment’s guarantee of equal protection, and violations under Michigan state law, because the teenagers “had a clearly established right to be free from danger.” And, the lawsuit states, school staff members acted in “reckless disregard” for the victims’ safety.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/09/us/m ... xford.html
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:46 am
Oxford school shooting: Ethan Crumbley appointed lawyer by court after parents only hired their own
James and Jennifer Crumbley hired high-profile attorneys Shannon Smith and Mariell Lehman to represent themselves but appear to have declined to foot their son’s legal bill\
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 71470.html
If his parents have had that basic attitude for the whole kids life (the best for them, whatever the kid can scrape together for him) it could explain if he has any kind of major depressive disorder - though that's just my non-expert guess.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

They abandoned their own child to save their own asses. Fuck-em.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Sheriff: N Carolina student was carrying AK-47 on school bus
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/sh ... li=BBnbfcL
ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina high school student has been taken into custody after he was found to be carrying a rifle with a loaded magazine on a school bus, a sheriff's office said.

Pasquotank County Sheriff Tommy Wooten told a news conference on Wednesday that the student was carrying a pistol-grip AK-47 with a loaded 30-round magazine, The Daily Advance of Elizabeth City reported. Wooten would only identify the student as under the age of 18.

The bus carrying students from Northeastern High School and River Road Middle School stopped at the middle school at around 9:20 a.m. Wednesday, the sheriff said. As the middle school students were getting off the bus, the bus driver called an assistant principal after smelling marijuana on the student, authorities said.

Wooten said the assistant principal told the school resource officer, who searched the student and found the rifle and marijuana before taking the student into custody. Both the middle school and high school were placed on lockdown to allow law enforcement personnel to conduct searches, Wooten said.
filly

Post by filly »

Florida College Student Was Planning Campus Bloodbath, Cops Say

Published Dec. 10, 2021 1:05PM ET

A college student in Florida is facing a slew of charges after tipsters informed police that he was planning to “enact a Columbine” on campus, a reference to the 1999 Colorado school shooting that killed 15, Daytona Beach Police Chief Jakari Young said at a news conference.

John Hagins, 19, who attends Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and allegedly planned to carry out the mass shooting on the last day of school before winter break, was arrested Thursday outside his apartment. He is accused of attempted first-degree homicide, terrorism, and making written threats to injure or kill, according to authorities. When cops went to detain Hagins, they found a Kel Tec SUB2000 collapsible rifle in Hagins’ backpack along with “hundreds of rounds of ammunition,” Daytona Beach police said in a news release.

It appears Hagins sold his vehicle to purchase that gun and ammunition.” “Detectives are still trying to piece together the exact motive, but we have learned that Hagins was in danger of failing classes at [Embry-Riddle] and was also cited for a traffic infraction while on campus yesterday,” the release said. Hagins is now jailed without bond.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/embry-rid ... s?ref=home
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

TikTok December 17 Challenge Has Police, Schools On High Alert
Some school districts are on high alert after a challenge pushing school violence on Dec. 17 surfaced on the social media platform TikTok.

https://patch.com/us/across-america/tik ... HVbOAgKzUo
Multiple law enforcement agencies across the country say they are monitoring reports of a TikTok challenge that has encouraged students to threaten gun violence at their schools on Friday, Dec. 17.

Some districts say they have been "inundated" with questions about the social media school violence rumors and have responded in letters to parents and public statements in the days leading up to Friday.

While it's unclear where the December rumor originated, a news release issued by the Tooele County School District in Utah said the original threat started as a way for students to skip school, but "morphed into something much more disturbing."

Some school districts say they are planning for an increased police presence on many campuses.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Glad my kid's last day was today.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/12 ... ncredible/
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Seneca Valley School District says its campuses are safe after rumors of a threat circulated on social media.

Officials say the potential threat at Ryan Gloyer Middle School was found to be “non-credible” after a police investigation. All students and staff are safe.

Parents said a lack of communication and two recent suicides in the district have them concerned.

Several parents pulled their children from school on Thursday after the social media threat caused panic for some at Ryan Gloyer Middle School and the nearby intermediate and high schools. Jackson Township police said about 3,500 people are on the campus on any given day.
All of this got worked up because parents were paying more attention to social media and listening to rumors.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:00 pm Glad my kid's last day was today.
Glad our teacher daughter's last day was today.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Prairie View A&M, 6 other HBCUs receive 'all clear' after bomb threats, reports say

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... m=referral
Prairie View A&M University was among seven historically black colleges and universities to receive bomb threats and subsequent "all clear" notices Tuesday evening, according to news reports and student leaders.

In addition to Prairie View A&M, the other HBCUs to receive bomb threats were Howard University in Washington, D.C., Norfolk State University in Virginia, the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluffs, Florida Memorial University, North Carolina Central University and Xavier University in Louisiana.

None of the seven universities had reported an actual bomb, suspicious package or attack as of Wednesday morning, according to The Hill.

All have issued "all clear" notices to their communities, the Post reported.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Texas-

2 people detained at Denton high schools after threats force police to lock down campuses

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/loca ... rylink=cpy
Two people were detained Wednesday morning after high schools in Denton were placed on lockdown when authorities received anonymous, unsubstantiated threats about the campuses, police said.

One person was detained at Denton High School and another person was taken into custody at Denton Ryan, but no weapons have been found, Denton police said in a social media post.

Police did not provide the ages of those detained or comment on whether they were students at the schools.

More arrests could be made or others could be detained because the investigation is ongoing, Denton police said. Searches of the campuses were still continuing, police said shortly before noon.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Dave from down under wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:34 am I’m no psychologist and am probably to much of a cynic..

But his “help me” was an appeal to the gun to help him stop the thoughts (lives) of others… and not a cry for help but fantasy about what he wanted to do.
Not when it follows "the thoughts won't stop".

He wanted help stopping his thoughts. He was upset that he couldn't control his thoughts.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K

Post by LM K »

Suranis wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:11 am So he could have been Developing Schizophrenia. I had a Schizophrenia episode when I was 15 and it was pretty scary. That "Stop the thoughts from other people" analysis could be very incisive.

At which point I would be pushing for an insanity defense to get the kid into care and get the help he needs. Getting thrown into the prison system is the last thing he needs.
:yeahthat:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

LM K wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:27 pm
Suranis wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:11 am So he could have been Developing Schizophrenia. I had a Schizophrenia episode when I was 15 and it was pretty scary. That "Stop the thoughts from other people" analysis could be very incisive.

At which point I would be pushing for an insanity defense to get the kid into care and get the help he needs. Getting thrown into the prison system is the last thing he needs.
:yeahthat:
I wondered about this, too. I have a close family member who suffers from Schizoaffective disorder. Like many who suffer from mental illness, she often stops taking her medication. So, our family has witnessed many psychotic episodes. Some of what I have read about the kid's writings and his possible hallucinations sound familiar to me and I do think there is a possibility he might really suffer from a mental illness.

For quite a few years I lived with my mentally ill family member and from time to time I had sessions with her psychiatrist and learned quite a bit about her particular mental illness. The doctor told me that people who are eventually diagnosed with Schizophrenia and Schizoaffective disorder often start having symptoms as a teenager and typically have symptoms before their mid 30's. For men and women the typical age of onset varies, but if I remember correctly, most often symptoms start in mid to late teens to early 20's for men. For women the typical age of onset is older, like 20's to 30's. I do wonder if this kid is experiencing symptoms of real mental illness. It sounds quite possible to me.

I don't know what to think of his parents. Were they selfish and so wrapped up in themselves that they simply didn't have time to fulfill their parental responsibilities? Did they see or were aware of the kids problems and excel at the art of denial? I cannot imagine how his parents could know what they knew about their son and still buy him a gun. I am no lawyer, but those charges against the parents seem totally justified. If he was telling his mother he was having hallucinations, they should have taken him to see a psychiatrist right away. Not to mention some of the other behavior that tracks with symptoms of mental illness.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
LM K

Post by LM K »

There's a separate thread for the Michigan school shooting.

Oxford, Michigan, School Shooting

A lot of info was released about Ethan and his parents a few weeks ago. He definitely has some form of dissociative disorder. He was seeing "ghosts" and "demons". He told his mom about seeing/hearing ghosts and demons via text messages.

Lots more in the other thread.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Bomb threats made to historically Black schools across US

https://apnews.com/article/louisiana-ed ... SocialFlow
At least a half-dozen historically Black universities in five states and the District of Columbia were responding to bomb threats Monday, with many of them locking down their campuses for a time.

In warnings to students, school officials say some of the threats were directed at academic buildings.

The FBI “is aware of bomb threats received by some Historically Black Colleges and Universities,” the agency said in a statement provided by Jenna Sellitto, an FBI spokesperson in Atlanta. “The FBI takes all potential threats seriously, and we regularly work with our law enforcement partners to determine their credibility.”

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also responded to the threats on Monday and was working with local law enforcement to continue investigating, Acting Deputy Director Thomas Chittum said.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Las Vegas

Vanessa_Murphy
@Vanessa_Murphy
·
1h
This is the scene outside Chaparral High School right now.

@lvmpd
: Five victims are being treated at the hospital. Initial reports are that teenagers were shooting at each other.

More to come
@8NewsNow
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://www.ktnv.com/news/5-teens-shot- ... police-say
Las Vegas police say several teenagers have been shot Monday afternoon in the east part of town.

Authorities were called to a reported shooting near Chaparral High School and near the intersection of Don Carlos Drive and East Katie Avenue at about 11:45 a.m.

At least five teens were shot in the incident and transported to Sunrise Hospital, according to police, after they were shooting at each other.

Police say the situation remains active.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/active-shoote ... itter_abcn
Deputies from the Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office are responding to reports of an active shooter at Bridgewater College in Bridgewater, Virginia, a law enforcement official told ABC News.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Suspect in custody.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:eek:

4 miles north of me, just a few blocks from the Target store I frequently shop at. I know the area well. There will be a news conference in a few minutes.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:34 pm Suspect in custody.

ABC News
@ABC
JUST IN: At least one law enforcement officer has been shot in a gun-related incident at Bridgewater College in Bridgewater, Virginia, sources tell
@ABC
News.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”