Dr. Ken

Re: School related violence

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

This article is in desperate need of an editor, but you'll get the drift.
Bulletproof backpack sales soar in wake of Texas school shooting

Profits of bulletproof backpacks are surging in the wake of the Uvalde, Texas, faculty massacre, producers and studies reported.

Worried mothers and fathers are reportedly scrambling to purchase the armored baggage, even however they can go for as significantly as $400.

“It can occur anywhere with this gun factor,” anxious mum or dad Angelica Azpeitia, 42, informed the Dallas Early morning News in an report published Monday. “Anyone can have a weapon just for the sake of it.”

Azpeitia, who was buying for security for her 16-12 months-outdated son and 4-yr-old daughter, is not on your own, according to brands.

In the instant aftermath of the Could 24 mass shooting at Robb Elementary School that killed 19 youngsters and two lecturers, Leatherback Gear observed an 800 % enhance in sales, its CEO and founder advised TMZ. A company referred to as Tuffypacks observed a 300 per cent spike in gross sales of its armored bag inserts, which can be placed inside of any retail backpack, TMZ mentioned.
:snippity:
https://sskit.net/bulletproof-backpack- ... -shooting/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Assuming the kids have time to get to the cloakroom, find their backpack, fend off the kids who don't have one and remember to put it on backwards so the strike plate is in the front, it sounds like a great idea.

For the older kids, they'll have to run out into the hall (or halls) get to their locker and unlock it to access the things.

Makes as much sense as the single-entry plans.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:30 pm This article is in desperate need of an editor, but you'll get the drift.
Kinda feels like it was either AI translated, or outright AI written.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

He's the mayor for pity's sake. Who else would the police brief?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:46 pm He's the mayor for pity's sake. Who else would the police brief?
Real good trial lawyers?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I should’ve expected this, but I thought with the cluster fuck that is the Uvalde police department, I thought that might tamp it down.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-e ... -rcna32442

GOP candidate shares Uvalde false flag bullshit.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

House Oversight Committee hearing is just beginning, rumor has it it will be gut-wrenching at times. Can Gym Jordan, Biggs and Andrew (they were just tourists) Clyde show some respect and compassion, or will they run true to form?
Edit:
They won’t watch the J6 hearings and won’t attend hearings on gun violence. The 2022 Republican Party.
tek

Post by tek »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:18 am I should’ve expected this, but I thought with the cluster fuck that is the Uvalde police department, I thought that might Tampa down.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-e ... -rcna32442

GOP candidate shares Uvalde false flag bullshit.
“I told my secretary to remove it. It was just terrible, and I would never write something like that," Paladino told the newspaper, adding that he had “no idea” how the post appeared on his page.

“I don’t even know how to post on Facebook,” Paladino said.
Uh huh.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

And I've got a bridge for sale.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Wasn’t good boi Carl a birther?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Republicans looking for a way to not blame easily available guns.
raison de arizona

Volkonski wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:55 pm https://twitter.com/madlinbmek/status/1 ... 3611198465

Republicans looking for a way to not blame easily available guns.
Addressing easily available guns, or guns at all for that matter, is already off the table. They clearly play no role in the problem.
Abbott and other Republican leaders say they want to fully understand what took place before and during the Uvalde shooting before committing lawmakers to finding solutions — although the governor has also made it clear that restrictions on gun ownership or use will not be entertained.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.texasobserver.org/uvalde-an ... rity-scam/
For so long, the people of South Texas have been expected to sacrifice their communities to a border security apparatus. Drones, helicopters, and agents have saturated cities and towns where residents have gone without health insurance and send their children to underfunded schools. It was this apparatus that responded in late May when a gunman rampaged through an elementary school classroom in Uvalde, killing children—19 in all—and two teachers.

Hundreds of state troopers, federal immigration agents, sheriff’s deputies, U.S. Marshals, and local police quickly descended on a town of 15,000, set among ranchlands 80 miles southwest of San Antonio and 60 miles from the border with Mexico. That rapid influx reflected the deep penetration of the border security apparatus in the region. And it was members of that apparatus, a tactical team that included Border Patrol agents, that Governor Greg Abbott and Texas Department of Public Safety Director Steve McCraw credited with charging into a classroom and killing the gunman.

But amid the public speculation about the causes that may have motivated a young man to kill third and fourth graders, that apparatus went almost unmentioned. Abbott and McCraw, whose agency is leading the investigation into the massacre, grasped at familiar themes—mental illness, video games, bullying. Speculation quickly morphed into purpose, with Abbott soon calling a special legislative session tasked with ginning up “recommendations on school safety, mental health, social media, police training, firearm safety, and more,” implicitly validating certain factors and rejecting issues that Republicans shun, specifically: gun control.

:snippity:

In the constructed war zone around Uvalde, violence and inhumanity are openly encouraged. Down the road from Uvalde, in Kinney County, the sheriff’s office has shared online posts that compared migrating people with hunting prey, according to a federal civil rights complaint filed by the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas and the Texas Civil Rights Project. Local ranchers and state troopers, according to the complaint, have worked in tandem to subject migrating people, mostly Latino and Black men traveling through the region, to criminal trespass charges under the governor’s latest border security gambit, Operation Lone Star. Images of those arrests became, in the hands of the governor, trophies to broadcast on social media.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Two friends who died to be buried side by side.
:crying:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

The Cleric

Feb 16 • 29 tweets • 5 min read
Reading through "Columbine", and one of the things that stands out the most to me is how much the cops actively made the situation and the aftermath WORSE.

A (long-ish) thread 🧵:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1494 ... 77185.html
raison de arizona

Well that’s really disturbing. And scarily parallel. But I’m sure the good guys with guns will step up and make a difference NEXT time!

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:52 am
The Cleric

Reading through "Columbine", and one of the things that stands out the most to me is how much the cops actively made the situation and the aftermath WORSE.

A (long-ish) thread 🧵:
In a similar direction: Creator of the FBI's protocol for dealing with mass shootings is shocked that local law enforcement kept acting like local law enforcement!. TBH, it kinda makes her sound a bit incompetent. Local law enforcement ignoring or fighting the FBI where it conflicts with their local politics is a problem dating back longer than I have been alive. It is shocking in the same way finding gambling at Rick's is shocking.

The creator of the FBI mass shooting protocol is 'shocked' by Uvalde police response
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Based on the article in the Texas Observer I posted above yesterday, the local police in that part of Texas are pretty much subservient to the Texas Border Patrol. Actually, it seems so is much of that part of the state.
raison de arizona

neeneko wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:01 am In a similar direction: Creator of the FBI's protocol for dealing with mass shootings is shocked that local law enforcement kept acting like local law enforcement!. TBH, it kinda makes her sound a bit incompetent. Local law enforcement ignoring or fighting the FBI where it conflicts with their local politics is a problem dating back longer than I have been alive. It is shocking in the same way finding gambling at Rick's is shocking.

The creator of the FBI mass shooting protocol is 'shocked' by Uvalde police response
She makes some good points, specifically regarding the order of run-hide-fight and how folks aren’t doing that right, but…
That the law enforcement was there for an hour on the other side of a wall is just unheard of.
Really? Unheard of? I would expect someone in her position to have heard of the Columbine mass shooting, at least.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:52 am
The Cleric

A (long-ish) thread 🧵:
It's even worse than portrayed. You know that sign "1 bleeding to death" shown about halfway through the thread? The cops thought it was an attempt to lure them into a trap. :fuckyou:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”