School related violence

Dave from down under

School related violence

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-16/ ... /102734902

US mother pleads guilty to felony child neglect after six-year-old son used her gun to shoot teacher

The mother of a 6-year-old boy who shot his teacher in Virginia has pleaded guilty to a charge of felony child neglect, seven months after her son used her handgun to critically wound the educator in a classroom full of students.

Key points:

Prosecutors say they will not seek a sentence longer than six months
Court proceedings revealed new facts about the case
A sentencing hearing is scheduled for October 27
Prosecutors agreed to drop a misdemeanour charge of reckless storage of a firearm against Deja Taylor.

As part of the plea agreement, prosecutors said they would not seek a sentence that is longer than state sentencing guidelines, which call for six months in prison.

The crime is punishable by up to five years in prison, with a judge to have full discretion when they ultimately decide the length of Taylor's sentence.

A sentencing hearing is scheduled for October 27.
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

North Oakland elementary school evacuated after bomb threat with ‘racial undertones’
Oakland police finished searching the school for explosives around midday Monday

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/08/29/ ... press.coop
A bomb threat that included “racial undertones” forced the evacuation of a North Oakland elementary school on Tuesday morning, according to police.

The threat, which was emailed to the principal of Chabot Elementary School, was among several that Oakland police investigated throughout the city, according to Oakland police Capt. Lisa Ausmus. The rest of the threats appeared directed at individuals living in private residences elsewhere in the city, she said.

Oakland police were told of the bomb threat at Chabot Elementary shortly before 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, before most students had arrived at the school. About 30 children were at the building when the principal called police, they were later reunited with their parents.

The exact contents of the email remained unclear Tuesday afternoon. Ausmus said there were “definitely some racial undertones” to the message, and that the Federal Bureau of Investigation had been brought into help investigate the case.

Bomb-sniffing K-9s from the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office were brought in to help search for explosives. The search ended at about noon Tuesday, though it was not immediately clear whether authorities had found anything.

The incident comes after the school’s parent-teacher association received “nasty racist threats and just a barrage of messages earlier this week,” said Sam Davis, the Oakland Unified School District Board of Education member for North Oakland. Most of them derided a “playdate” held at the school on Saturday, which encouraged families of numerous ethnicities to attend, he said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

School related violence

Post by raison de arizona »

The Tennessee Holler @TheTNHoller wrote: 😳 WATCH — UNC: “We are CURRENTLY in the middle of another shooting. I am DONE. We were just kicked out of our state legislature for demanding our politicians do literally fucking ANYTHING about this. Students are terrified to go to school… This is HELL.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

3 students injured in shooting near Baltimore's Carver Vocational-Technical High School

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/ ... gh-school/
Three students were injured as classes began Friday morning in a shooting near Carver Vocational-Technical High School, police and school officials said.

The shooting happened at Presstman at North Bentalou Street, police said around 8:30 a.m. on social media. The intersection is at the corner of the Northwest Baltimore school.

Two sixteen-year-olds were found shot at the scene, police said, and a third 17-year-old victim walked into an area hospital.

One of the 16-year-old victims was shot in the chest and required a chest-press and tourniquet, police said, but they are all expected to survive.

Police are looking for the shooter, Acting Deputy BPD Commissioner Kevin Jones said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

2 people shot, 1 dead at Worcester State University; campus closed

https://www.telegram.com/story/news/loc ... 359162007/
One person has died after two were shot on the campus of Worcester State University early Saturday morning, according to Worcester County District Attorney Joseph Early Jr.

At a late Saturday morning press conference, the parties are believed to have known each other. The other victim underwent surgery and Early was told they would survive.

"This does not appear to be a random incident. The parties that were involved knew each other from what we could ascertain at this point," Early said.

Early did not share the name of the deceased victim Saturday.

The shooting occurred around 2:30 a.m. Early said that neither the shooting victims nor the suspected assailants were students of the university.

:snippity:

This is homecoming weekend at Worcester State; family day activities had been scheduled to take place Saturday, along with field hockey and football games.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Slim Cognito »

Maybe I'm overly sensitive but this whole, "don't be afraid, the people who died knew each other," doesn't comfort me.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

School related violence

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:46 pm Maybe I'm overly sensitive but this whole, "don't be afraid, the people who died knew each other," doesn't comfort me.
I mean, look, clearly only people who know other people have something to fear at this point.

So, clearly, we must all become crazed introverted loners and turn to online discussion boards of like minded individuals for our sole comfort.

Wait.

Dammit.

Oh, nevermind, I forgot I clarified with "crazed". I'm good, thanks.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
neeneko

School related violence

Post by neeneko »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:46 pm Maybe I'm overly sensitive but this whole, "don't be afraid, the people who died knew each other," doesn't comfort me.
I think it comforts the people who believe the threats of violence are proper ways of asserting yourself among your peer group and family.
Dave from down under

School related violence

Post by Dave from down under »

IIRC

Most violence is done by someone you know.

Most gun deaths are at the hand of someone you know.

So…

To be safe… know no-one ..
Gregg

School related violence

Post by Gregg »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:26 pm IIRC

Most violence is done by someone you know.

Most gun deaths are at the hand of someone you know.

So…

To be safe… know no-one ..

No, no, no. You're not getting it.

To be SAFE, keep plenty of crew served weapons systems with interlocking and cleared fields of fire.

"... the right to keep and bear anti-aircraft missile systems shall not be infringed..."

2nd Amendment, paraphrased Clarence Thomas Edition
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
neeneko

School related violence

Post by neeneko »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:26 pm To be safe… know no-one ..
Sadly, the intended lesson is 'to be safe, know your place'. Those gun deaths tend to come out of 'person who feels they deserve respect/deference and is not getting it', and the lack of gun laws are supported by people who generally empathize with, well, those who feel they deserve more respect by virtue of being white men. So gun violence will go down when lesser people learned to be respectful of their betters.
sad-cafe

School related violence

Post by sad-cafe »

had a chair thrown at me today but a ED student who was pissed at another student and not me. He got 2 days OSS and that is it.

I am getting too old for this shit
AndyinPA
Verified:

School related violence

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

sad-cafe wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:12 pm had a chair thrown at me today but a ED student who was pissed at another student and not me. He got 2 days OSS and that is it.

Hope you weren't hurt too badly. :bighug:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sad-cafe wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:12 pm had a chair thrown at me today but a ED student who was pissed at another student and not me. He got 2 days OSS and that is it.

:bighug:
sad-cafe

School related violence

Post by sad-cafe »

no,

big bruise on the front of my leg.

Kid did not even know he threw the chair he was that out of it.

Never an outburst from this sweet 12 year old before.

Apparently last year was a lot different. Maybe something that should have been relayed to the new teachers ya think????
Suranis

School related violence

Post by Suranis »

But if they warned you, that might prejudice you against the little sweet darling lump of fuzz nuts.
Hic sunt dracones
RVInit

School related violence

Post by RVInit »

:bighug: sad cafe. That must have been a bit of a shock. I’m glad you were not hurt too badly.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
sad-cafe

School related violence

Post by sad-cafe »

I was totally shocked.

Not once did I ever suspect this kid would do that.

AFTER the incident, I got all kinds of info that I should have had before!!!
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

Police say there has been a shooting at a high school in Perry, Iowa; extent of injuries unclear

https://apnews.com/article/perry-high-s ... a7f30cf1b9
Police in Perry, Iowa, say there was a shooting Thursday at the city’s high school.

A woman who answered the Perry Police Department phone confirmed the shooting at Perry High School but did not provide any further information.

An enormous number of emergency vehicles surrounded the building that houses the town’s middle school and high school.

Erica Jolliff said that her daughter, a ninth grader, reported getting rushed from the school grounds at 7:45 am. Distraught, Jolliff was still looking for her son Amir, a sixth grader, one hour later.

“I just want to know that he’s safe and OK,” Jolliff said. “They won’t tell me nothing.”

The high school is part of the 1,785-student Perry Community School District. Thursday was the first day back in school for students following the holiday break.

The shooting occurred in the backdrop of the Iowa caucuses and not far from where Republican candidates were campaigning.

Phone messages left with the Perry School Board’s president and vice president, and an email message left with Superintendent Clark Wicks, were not immediately returned.

Dallas County’s Emergency Management Agency said a new conference would be held later in the morning.

Perry is about 40 miles (64.37 kilometers) miles northwest of Des Moines.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

School related violence

Post by neonzx »

Well sh#t. This is rural Iowa outside DSM.
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 105587007/
Dad reports son injured in shooting, son saw principal get shot
Kevin Shelley said his son, Zander, 15, was grazed by two bullets while in a school hallway. He left the school at about 8:30 a.m. and went to his nearby home, Kevin Shelley said. He described his son's injuries as minor.
Perry teachers told to go home
All staff have been released to go home, according to a message sent on the districtwide communications system. "Do not return to the building. More information will be available later," the text said.
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/li ... rcna132235
Victims from Perry High School are being taken to MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center, a hospital spokesperson said.

It was not immediately clear how many patients were headed to the facility.

The hospital dispatched ambulances and helicopters to the shooting scene. Further details were not immediately available.
The shooter is believed dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound and may have been a student, according to multiple law enforcement officials briefed on the matter.

Three others were injured, including two students and an administrator, the officials said.

One of the injuries may be fatal but investigation is ongoing, the officials said.
AndyinPA
Verified:

School related violence

Post by AndyinPA »

Latest update I saw: three injured, shooter dead.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

School related violence

Post by Kendra »

Might make for interesting questions at tonight's CNN town meetings. Back to back, DeSantis and Haley.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”