Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

School related violence

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

School related violence

Post by raison de arizona »

Thread with Popehat's take on the issue at link.
RiggedAndStollenHat @Popehat wrote: /10 So when a crime victim says, on the record, at a public trial, that defense lawyers and their children should face karma, should the victim be punished? No. Should we revile the victim? No, we should understand her and have compassion for her.

/11 But if the lawyers stand up for themselves, point out that we live in a time where this rhetoric puts them and their families in mortal danger, we should not tolerate contrived outrage about it -- not from victims, and certainly not from a nominally professional judge.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RVInit

School related violence

Post by RVInit »

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – The president of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers sent a letter Thursday to Broward County Chief Judge Jack Tuter disapproving of Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer’s treatment of the Parkland school shooter’s defense.

Ernest L. Chang signed the letter saying that as representatives of the Criminal Defense Bar, they were dismayed at Scherer’s “hostile and demeaning treatment” of Public Defender Gordon Weekes and his assistants during the sentencing hearing on Tuesday.

“The image of a judge relegating an elected public defender and his top assistant to sit in the corner like misbehaving children is offensive and discounts their very vital and difficult role in this system,” Chang wrote.

In the letter, Chang accused some of the grieving families of the victims of the 2018 Valentine’s Day massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School of delivering “thinly veiled threats” during the sentencing hearing and Scherer asked that these be ignored.
https://www.local10.com/news/local/2022 ... s-defense/
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona

School related violence

Ingraham HS in Seattle, WA, reportedly.
https://twitter.com/SeattlePD/status/15 ... 1280217088
Seattle Police Dept. @SeattlePD wrote: Officers responding to a report of a shooting at a school in the 1800 block of N 135th. More information as it becomes available.

One person reportedly injured. This is a developing situation. Please avoid the area. PIO will be responding to the scene.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

School related violence

Post by RTH10260 »

Suspect in custody after student shot at Ingraham High School

By Colleen West, KIRO 7 News
November 08, 2022 at 12:34 pm PST

SEATTLE — A student was shot and injured inside Ingraham High School in North Seattle and a suspect is in custody.

Police are continuing to investigate as parents are being reunited with students.

Police said they received reports of shots fired at the school at 1819 North 135th Street at 9:55 a.m. on Tuesday. The school went into lockdown to protect students.

Officers entered the school and found one victim with a gunshot wound. That person was taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Seattle Public Schools assistant superintendent of public affairs Beverly Redmond said the victim was a student.

“We do not believe this was a random act of violence,” Redmond said in a statement released late this morning.

Officers searched the area for a suspect. During a news conference at about 11:05 a.m., Seattle Police Chief Adrien Diaz announced that a suspect had been arrested.

Witnesses told KIRO 7 that a male suspect was arrested at a nearby bus stop on Aurora Avenue North near 145th. A dozen officers armed with semi-automatic rifles swarmed the area and arrested the suspect, who did not resist, according to witnesses. Seattle police have not confirmed the location of the arrest.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/one-pe ... M43BDDECY/
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

3 dead, 2 others wounded in University of Virginia shooting as police search for suspect

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/13/us/unive ... index.html
A shooter killed three people and wounded two others at the University of Virginia’s main campus in Charlottesville on Sunday, and the suspect – identified as a school student – remains at large, university president Jim Ryan said in a statement issued Monday.

The campus was advised to shelter-in-place around 10:40 p.m. following a shooting reported on Culbreth Road, the University of Virginia Police Department tweeted. It has been in lockdown as authorities search for the suspect.

The suspect, identified by police as Christopher Darnell Jones, Jr., is believed to be armed and dangerous. He’s described as wearing a burgundy jacket with blue jeans and red shoes, and may be driving a black SUV, according to police.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

4 Idaho college students found dead in apparent homicide, officials say

https://abcnews.go.com/US/idaho-college ... d=93247819
Four University of Idaho students who were found dead on Sunday were believed to be the victims of homicide, school officials said.

The students, who have not been identified, lived in Moscow, Idaho, near the university campus, officials said.

“The Moscow Police Department is investigating and the families of these students have been notified,” university officials said in a message posted to Twitter.

Police said they responded to King Road for a report of an unconscious person. When officers arrived, they “discovered four individuals who were deceased,” according to a press statement.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

School related violence

Post by Kendra »

Today is the 10th anniversary of the Sandy Hook shootings. Anderson Cooper just had a sit down interview with four students (now teens) who were there. So many striking comments and memories, but one thing really struck me was one young lady mentioning fireworks - someone in the neighborhood sets off fireworks on every holiday and how stressful it is for her to live through that over and over again.

I have a lot of reasons to loath fireworks, but that's one reason I'd never thought of.

If I find a link to the interview I'll post it. I still recall AC's compassionate coverage of that tragic day ten years ago. CNN is featuring a special coverage of this, but I don't think I'll be able to watch.
raison de arizona

School related violence

pipistrelle

School related violence

Post by pipistrelle »

Kendra wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:40 pm I have a lot of reasons to loath fireworks, but that's one reason I'd never thought of.
Fireworks upset veterans for the same reason. Having heard a nearby shooting recently, I understand why.
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

4 students shot outside Chicago high school

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/16/us/chica ... index.html
Four students were shot outside Benito Juarez High School southwest of downtown Chicago Friday afternoon, according to the Chicago Fire Department. Spokesperson Larry Langford told CNN that two of the victims are “very critical.”

The students were shot outside the school building, but on school grounds, Langford said. They were transported to Stroger Hospital.

Chicago Police did not immediately provide details on the circumstances of the shooting.
Chilidog

School related violence

Post by Chilidog »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:50 pm 4 students shot outside Chicago high school

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/16/us/chica ... index.html
Four students were shot outside Benito Juarez High School southwest of downtown Chicago Friday afternoon, according to the Chicago Fire Department. Spokesperson Larry Langford told CNN that two of the victims are “very critical.”

The students were shot outside the school building, but on school grounds, Langford said. They were transported to Stroger Hospital.

Chicago Police did not immediately provide details on the circumstances of the shooting.
That one hits close to home for me.

I'm familiar with that school. I did a large project out there a few years ago. The principal and staff there are some of the best that Chicago has to offer. The Pilsen community has made some significant improvements over the past 10 years.
RTH10260

School related violence

Post by RTH10260 »

Several in custody after adults 'forced' their way into Merrill Middle School, had physical confrontation with staff, officers

Bremen Keasey, Oshkosh Northwestern
Wed, January 11, 2023 at 11:43 PM GMT+1

OSHKOSH ‒ Multiple people are in custody after a number of adults "forced" their way into the school Wednesday afternoon and created a physical confrontation between them and school staff and police officers, according to Oshkosh Police.

Oshkosh Police said that around 2:15 p.m. Wednesday, family members and "acquaintances" of a student involved in a fight earlier in the day showed up at Merrill Middle School.

The adults forced their way into the school and "created a disturbance" that led to the school resource officer calling for back up.

School staff and the school resource officer asked the people who were in the school to leave, but they refused, which led to a physical confrontation between the intruders and the school staff and officers.

Oshkosh police said "several adults" and one juvenile were taken into custody, and Merrill Middle School was put on lockdown until the incident ended.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/several-cust ... 33934.html
(original: The Northwestern)
RTH10260

School related violence

Post by RTH10260 »

Kentucky parents concerned after teen who compiled 'kill list' allowed to return to school

Corky Siemaszko
Mon, January 16, 2023 at 10:44 PM GMT+1

Parents in a suburban Kentucky school district have sent a clear message to administrators: They don’t want a teenager who is alleged to have created a “kill list” of students back in the classroom with their children.

The worried parents spoke out last week after they learned that the Boone County Board of Education had allowed the 14-year-old to return to school despite having been charged with second-degree terroristic threats.

“Whatever help he has gotten, he is still a threat,” worried parent Deanne Corbin said at a school board meeting in Boone County, which is just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati, according to NBC affiliate WLWT.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kentucky-par ... 30583.html
(original: NBC News)
RTH10260

School related violence

Post by RTH10260 »

Students mercilessly assault 9-year-old girl on school bus, parents pressing charges: video

Lawrence Richard
Fri, February 3, 2023 at 7:26 AM GMT+1

A video of two students viciously beating a 9-year-old student on a Florida school bus has surfaced online, alarming the community and prompting a swift reaction from the girl’s parents.

The disturbing footage shows two boys repeatedly striking the girl as she is folded over in a seat, barely defending herself with one hand as she tightly grips her backpack with the other. Many of the punches land on the girl’s head, neck and face.

No fellow students or adults intervened to stop the brutal assault.

The heartbroken mother of the third-grader said she is pressing charges against the school, Coconut Palm K-8 Academy in Homestead, and is pursuing criminal charges against the assailants, according to Local News 10.

"I got sent the video of my daughter getting attacked by an older kid," the mother, who wished to remain anonymous, told the outlet.

She also confirmed at least two adults were on the bus at the time of the incident, including the bus driver and an aide.

https://news.yahoo.com/students-mercile ... 31565.html
(original: Fox News)
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

School related violence

Post by neonzx »

Yeah, um. Still think Florida is "paradise"?
neeneko

School related violence

Post by neeneko »

neonzx wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:30 am Yeah, um. Still think Florida is "paradise"?
I guess it depends on what you want to do and if you picture being stopped.
RTH10260

School related violence

Post by RTH10260 »

Mom calls out school officials for confiscating 11-year-old’s 'inappropriate' drawing: ‘This is very much a bow tie’

David Artavia
Sat, February 4, 2023 at 2:23 AM GMT+1

On Jan. 13, Sierra Carter received a surprising phone call from her daughter's elementary school teacher. The fifth grader had drawn an "inappropriate" picture in class.

The drawing — a pink pig with a necktie in the shape of what could be interpreted as male genitalia — was brought to the teacher's attention by a classmate who'd informed them that Carter's daughter drew "boy parts on a pig."

The 11-year-old, according to her mom, told her teacher that she drew a "bow tie," not "boy parts."

"The teacher told her, 'I'm going to have to give it to the principal and ask him how he wants to handle it,'" which she did, Carter tells Yahoo Life. "They didn't even talk to my daughter, didn't try to investigate it at all. Nothing. The principal just said to write her up."

That was on a Friday. On the following Tuesday, Carter met with the school's vice principal, a social worker and her daughter to discuss the drawing. "That was when I saw it for the first time and I was beside myself," she explains. "This is very much a bow tie."

Attached to the drawing, Carter alleges, was a stapled piece of paper describing the various ways her daughter had reacted to the teacher when pressed about the drawing. Carter says she was told that the photo and its attached paper were going in her daughter's student file, at the request of the school's principal.

"I said, 'I would like to discuss this with him as well,'" she recalls saying in the meeting. "So somebody went and got him and he came in. I pointed to [the drawing] right away and I said to him, 'I'm not quite sure what's wrong with this. This is a bow tie.' And he argued with me. He goes, 'Well, bow ties have a bow.' I'm like, 'Well, she's 11, and when she was drawing a bow tie, to her, this is her interpretation of that.' I was like, 'This is very clearly a bow tie.'"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom-sch ... 28421.html
sugar magnolia

School related violence

Post by sugar magnolia »

If it's not a bow tie, it looks like it would be painful.
raison de arizona

School related violence

🥀_Imposter_🕸️ @Imposter_Edits wrote: Right-wingers were misrepresenting the school's "bathroom buckets" so this teacher took the time out to make a video explaining what they are actually there for.

They are emergency supplies in case of school shootings. Trauma kits in classrooms!
AndyinPA
Verified:

School related violence

Post by AndyinPA »

:o :crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

School related violence

Have we learned nothing from Uvalde? Apparently not. Moar gunz, pleeze.
https://twitter.com/azedschools/status/ ... 4899743744
Arizona Department of Education @azedschools wrote: Superintendent Horne is urging schools to prioritize having armed officers from law enforcement or highly trained security on campus. Our office is accepting school safety grant program applications here >>> http://azed.gov/ssp
raison de arizona

School related violence

Dalhart ISD, police identify student killed in accidental shooting in school parking lot

DALHART, Texas — Dalhart ISD and police identified the student who was killed in an accidental shooting in the school parking lot.

Preston Ralston, 15, was killed Monday afternoon when a gun was accidentally discharged in a vehicle.

The district went into lockdown at the request of law enforcement while the situation was investigated. Once it was determined there was no threat, the lockdown was lifted.

Parents were notified of the incident a little before 2 p.m., a statement from the district said.

The high school campus was dismissed at 2 p.m. while other campuses were released at normal times.

The district also said there are experienced counselors available to talk with anyone in need. The Region 16 Educational Service Center crisis team and Dalhart Ministerial Alliance team are at the high school students or faculty needing to talk to someone.

The following message from Preston's family was posted on the Dalhart ISD website.
We want everyone to know this was an accident. We want those involved to know, that we know this was an accident.
https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/dal ... -discharge
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

School related violence

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

It isn't an accident if the gun is loaded.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

School related violence

Search underway for student who shot 2 staff members at Denver high school, officials say

A male student shot and wounded two faculty members at a Denver high school on Wednesday and then fled the scene, spurring a citywide search for his whereabouts, according to city officials.

The shooting at East High School was reported at about 9:50 a.m., and police and medical responders arrived on the scene “very quickly” to find two adult men with gunshot wounds, Denver Police Chief Ron Thomas said.

One faculty member is in stable condition, and the other is in critical condition, he said.

The student suspected in the shooting, who is under 18, was under a school safety plan in which he was patted down each day, the police chief said. During Wednesday’s search, a handgun was retrieved and several shots were fired in an office area in the front of the school, away from other students and staff, he said.

The student then fled the school, and a search is underway for his whereabouts. The weapon has not been recovered, Thomas said.
:snippity:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/22/us/color ... index.html
raison de arizona

School related violence

Nobody cares. Thoughts and prayers.
Three children killed, shooter dead at The Covenant School on Monday

Vanderbilt University Medical Center tells NewsChannel 5 that three children are dead after a shooter at The Covenant School.

"Three pediatric patients were transported to Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, all having suffered gunshot wounds. All three were pronounced dead after arrival," officials said.

There is no word on the state of their injuries at this time.
The school is a private Christian school in Nashville for PreSchool through 6th grade. Last year, the school ran an active shooter training program.
https://www.newschannel5.com/news/polic ... ant-school

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”