Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

School related violence

Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

Growing up I attended 8 years of high school football games in Massachusetts.

When our daughters were in their high school band I attended 7 or more years of high school football games in Texas.

In addition to those I sometimes went to games with my father when I was younger plus the odd game here and there over the years.

It never once occurred to me to worry about gun violence at one of those games.

What have we come to?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

School related violence

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:50 pm Growing up I attended 8 years of high school football games in Massachusetts.

When our daughters were in their high school band I attended 7 or more years of high school football games in Texas.

In addition to those I sometimes went to games with my father when I was younger plus the odd game here and there over the years.

It never once occurred to me to worry about gun violence at one of those games.

What have we come to?
I played in a high school marching band. No one ever thought of gun violence. Guns were for hunting.
Kendra

School related violence

Post by Kendra »

We spent our time at football games behind the bleachers drinking Mad Dog 2020 :bag:
But yeah, no guns in the 70s.
pipistrelle

School related violence

Post by pipistrelle »

Kendra wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:53 pm
We spent our time at football games behind the bleachers drinking Mad Dog 2020 :bag:
But yeah, no guns in the 70s.
Not entirely true. This school-related shooting was seen as an aberration. 1974.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olean_Hig ... l_shooting
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

School related violence

Post by Frater I*I »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:19 pm30 yards
You forgot the automatic first down...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

School related violence

Post by keith »

I am not trying to diminish the hatefullness of these crimes in anyway, but when I was in High School, it seems like we went through at least one bomb threat every year.

Is this not the 'modern equivalent'?

Of course, the difference is that it plays out in the context of very real active shooter 'events'.

In my day no one ever knew of an actual, real bomb blowing up a school. So we all 'knew' it was a hoax, but also that we had to take it seriously 'just in case'.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
pipistrelle

School related violence

Post by pipistrelle »

keith wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:29 pm I am not trying to diminish the hatefullness of these crimes in anyway, but when I was in High School, it seems like we went through at least one bomb threat every year.

Is this not the 'modern equivalent'?

Of course, the difference is that it plays out in the context of very real active shooter 'events'.

In my day no one ever knew of an actual, real bomb blowing up a school. So we all 'knew' it was a hoax, but also that we had to take it seriously 'just in case'.
Yep, same here. Difference is, I was never scared because it was 99.9% odds it was a hoax. Today any school could be shot up at any time, or bombed. (OKC-not a school but you get the idea.)
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

School related violence

Post by jez »

When I was in school, we didn't have any of this. Half the student pickups (and probably as many of the teacher's) had rifles on racks on the back window. Unloaded, but they were there, especially during hunting season.

I guess I grew up a bit sheltered in comparison.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
neeneko

School related violence

Post by neeneko »

I grew up in that odd period where the media was trying to somehow reconcile its earlier 'super predators are turning city schools into warzones so get all your white kits to suburbia!' with 'now some rich white boys shot up a suburban school, no one has ever known such violence who do we blame to feel superior!'.

It actually made them a bit difficult to take seriously, and mostly highlighted how odd the isolation of affluent white suburban communities had made them.
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

Phoenix520
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Phoenix520 »

What if they all - schools, teachers, communities -just said No? No to DNA kits, no to metal detectors and plastic backpacks and dead children. No to useless school security guards, no to all that wasted money.

We’ve lost the we the people part. It doesn’t matter what we the people want now. It just doesn’t.
sad-cafe

School related violence

Post by sad-cafe »

I can fully retire December 2026 with full benefits.

I can buy two years from a different state for 13 K and retire December 2024 with the same full benefits-they would take the 13 grand from my retirement.

I Had planned to teach until I wasn't enjoyable anymore.

I believe we are nearing that time....................
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

sad-cafe wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:26 pm I can fully retire December 2026 with full benefits.

I can buy two years from a different state for 13 K and retire December 2024 with the same full benefits-they would take the 13 grand from my retirement.

I Had planned to teach until I wasn't enjoyable anymore.

I believe we are nearing that time....................
:( But as the husband, father, uncle and grandson of teachers I know where you are coming from about this.
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Kriselda Gray »

'Bout time, dammit.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

School related violence

Post by raison de arizona »

Nothing could have prevented this, thoughts and prayers to the victims.
2 killed in shooting at St. Louis high school; gunman also killed

A woman and a teenage girl were killed Monday morning in a shooting inside a St. Louis high school, authorities said. The gunman was also killed in the shooting, police said, and at least six others were taken to hospitals with injuries.

The shooting was reported just after 9 a.m. at Central Visual and Performing Arts High School, prompting hundreds of students to leave the building, many of them running.

St. Louis Public Schools said on Twitter that the shooter was "quickly stopped" by police.

The FBI said in a statement later Monday morning that there was no longer an "immediate threat" at the school. The district said the injured students were on the way to a hospital, but did not indicate how badly they were injured.
:snippity:
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/st ... s-injured/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

School related violence

Need better doors, bigger walls, and more LE. Obviously.

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

School related violence

Interesting, apparently this one doesn't qualify as a school shooting unless more of the injured die.
https://twitter.com/K12ssdb/status/1584589629726285824
K-12 School Shooting Database @K12ssdb wrote: The government only considers an attack to be a "school shooting" when 4 or more students are killed.

As of now, 2 were killed (9 wounded) at Central Visual and Performing Arts High in St. Louis.

After today, government reports will pretend like this never happened.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Slim Cognito »

A shooting in a school isn't a school shooting unless the death count hits an arbitrary threshold? Sounds legit.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
sugar magnolia

School related violence

Post by sugar magnolia »

I guess next they'll outlaw windows.
raison de arizona

School related violence

No more dead children.
Shannon Watts @shannonrwatts wrote: The school in St. Louis had metal detectors. Police said the doors were locked. There were armed guards inside the school.

Two people are dead.

Republicans will tell you the solution is somehow more guns. On Nov 8, you need to tell them they’re full of shit.
roadscholar

School related violence

Post by roadscholar »

I thought the rule was: It's only a School Shooting if the shooter is brown. Otherwise it's an unforeseeable act of random violence by a troubled lone-wolf firearms enthusiast.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
keith

School related violence

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:51 pm Interesting, apparently this one doesn't qualify as a school shooting unless more of the injured die.
https://twitter.com/K12ssdb/status/1584589629726285824
K-12 School Shooting Database @K12ssdb wrote: The government only considers an attack to be a "school shooting" when 4 or more students are killed.

As of now, 2 were killed (9 wounded) at Central Visual and Performing Arts High in St. Louis.

After today, government reports will pretend like this never happened.
WTF?

That's the threshold for a 'mass shooting'.

It shouldn't have anything to do deciding if a shooting takes place in a school.
keith

School related violence

Post by keith »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:20 pm I guess next they'll outlaw windows.
No they'll mandate that all windows have machine gun nests.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”