School related violence

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

School related violence

Post by Frater I*I »

RVInit wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:13 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:13 pm I remember them. Saw one go into the side of a house. Didn't make the renters happy.
When I was a kid I threw a dart and it went right into the knee of a friend's brother who was kneeling down on one knee and the other knee was oh-so-exposed. It didn't make him happy. :oopsy: :oopsy: :oopsy:
That's alright....It built character....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

School related violence

Post by keith »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:30 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:13 pm I remember them. Saw one go into the side of a house. Didn't make the renters happy.
When I was a kid I threw a dart and it went right into the knee of a friend's brother who was kneeling down on one knee and the other knee was oh-so-exposed. It didn't make him happy. :oopsy: :oopsy: :oopsy:
That's alright....It built character....
No idea of the ages involved in this anecdote, but maybe it kept him out of the Viet Nam? Win-win!
Has everybody heard about the bird?
AndyinPA
Verified:

School related violence

Post by AndyinPA »

Ouchie!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

School related violence

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:18 pm
Ouchie!
If that projectile fell a few inches another way it could have been way way worse.
RVInit

School related violence

Post by RVInit »

neonzx wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:32 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:18 pm

Ouchie!
If that projectile fell a few inches another way it could have been way way worse.
Off Topic
True. It was terrible as it was. I threw it with enough force that the entire shaft went into that knee, it hit just perfectly in between the bones. It required a trip to the emergency room.

I felt so bad I never threw another dart until I was well into adulthood. I think I was around 7 years old at the time. The poor recipient was around 12 or 13. We were throwing darts at a proper target and it was a weird fluke that his brother was able to step right in and then kneel down right as the dart was leaving my arm and I couldn't take it back. I missed the dartboard completely, obviously. Sorry about the threadjack
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

Police investigating online threats of Monday violence at Frisco ISD middle schools, officials say
The social media post comes in the wake of Saturday's deadly mass shooting at Allen Premium Outlets and follow-up scare at Stonebriar Mall.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local ... 2ca88eb8ae
FRISCO, Texas — The Frisco Police Department is investigating a post circulating on social media that threatens possible violence on Monday at multiple middle school campuses within Frisco ISD.

In an email sent to Frisco ISD parents on Sunday, superintendent Dr. Mike Waldrip addressed the post being shared among students and parents across the district in the wake of Saturday's deadly mass shooting at Allen Premium Outlets and follow-up scare at Stonebriar Mall.

He said the district is well aware that, following Saturday's events, "safety concerns are high in our community, especially when it comes to our students."

As a result, Waldrip said, all student absences across the district will be excused on Monday.

Waldrip also asked that parents speak with their children about the harms of posting threats online -- even those shared as a joke -- and promised that students who post threats about violence at school will be disciplined by the district and "charged by the law accordingly."

The letter additionally notes that threatening harm to a school campus or members of its student body can result in charges relating to terroristic threats or the exhibition, use, or threat of exhibition or use of firearms -- crimes that can be classified as up to a third-degree felony and that can warrant punishments of a fine up to $10,000 and two to 10 years in prison.
Frisco is north of Dallas just a few miles from Allen.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

Staff member shot at middle school in Las Vegas

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-new ... le-school/
At approximately 12:30 p.m. on Monday, dispatchers received reports of an individual struck by gunfire Ed Von Tobel Middle School, near the intersection of Pecos Road and Carey Avenue in northeast Las Vegas.

Ed Von Tobel Middle School and Jay W. Jeffers Elementary School, another school nearby, were immediately placed in a hard lockdown while investigators set up a perimeter and ensured that children were uninjured.

At approximately 1:39 p.m., police said that Von Tobel Middle School had been cleared and that no additional injuries were reported. Officials from the Clark County School District Police Department said they plan a controlled release at dismissal time for both Von Tobel Middle School and Jeffers Elementary School.

According to officials, the adult victim was taken to an area hospital for treatment, where they are listed in stable condition. Detectives are interviewing potential witnesses that could provide more information on the shooting.

In a statement from CCSD Superintendent Dr. Jesus F. Jara, the victim was identified as a staff member.

“Thankfully, no students were injured in today’s incident at Von Tobel Middle School, and our hearts are with our staff member and their family as we pray for a speedy recovery,” said Jara.

The suspect in the shooting has yet to be identified or taken into custody, and it is not yet known if the shots originated from outside or inside the school.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

"a stray bullet" :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/sho ... g-2774552/
An 18-year-old has been arrested in connection with a shooting at a Las Vegas middle school, police said Tuesday.

Authorities identified the man as Jessie Rios. His jail records were not immediately available.

“During the investigation detectives were able to determine that the shooting took place a few blocks away from the school and a stray bullet struck the victim who was on school property,” the Metropolitan Police Department said in an email.

Rios is suspected of shooting a security monitor around 12:30 p.m. Monday at Ed Von Tobel Middle School, 2436 N. Pecos Road.

The man who was shot was taken to University Medical Center, and he was expected to survive.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

School related violence

Post by raison de arizona »

stray
verb
move away aimlessly from a group or from the right course or place.
"gun owners are urged not to allow their bullets to stray"
adjective
not in the right place; separated from the group or target.
"he dodged a few stray bullets"
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

School related violence

This is going around locally. The district has said that it isn't a real threat and that parents shouldn't worry, but it is the last week of school anyway and many parents are just keeping their children home rather than risk it. :(
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

School related violence

Post by poplove »

There was a similar threat going around Las Vegas shortly after the Texas mall shooting. The threat did not mention any specific school but did mention shooting up a nearby Albertsons. There were reports of threats with the exact same wording in other states. A lot of parents kept their kids home just in case.

Article with a picture of the threat.

https://www.alamogordonews.com/story/ne ... 203711007/
raison de arizona

School related violence

Yeah, the district sent a letter home to parents to not worry about it, but how can you not if it is your kids in the targeted school?
raison de arizona

School related violence

Police: Valley student arrested after bringing AR-15 to school
A student was arrested Friday afternoon by Phoenix police for allegedly bringing an AR-15 rifle and ammunition to Bostrom High School.

A 15-year-old student was arrested Friday afternoon by Phoenix police for allegedly bringing an AR-15-style rifle and ammunition to Bostrom High School.

Officers were dispatched to the campus, located near 27th Avenue and Osborn Road, at about 1 p.m. for reports of a student with a gun. The school was placed on lockdown.

Upon arrival, the officers detained the juvenile in the main office and seized possession of a semi-automatic rifle. Officers also found ammunition in the student's backpack and lunch box, Phoenix police said.

No injuries were reported by police.

The student's currently in police custody and is facing many felony charges.
:snippity:
https://www.12news.com/article/news/cri ... 4afedef652
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

School related violence

Post by RTH10260 »

Ammunition in the luch box? I bet that does not get thru the regular digestion channels but he would be sweating bullets :twisted:
W. Kevin Vicklund

School related violence

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

A bitter anniversary
Last Day of Fourth Grade

Tomorrow’s the last day of fourth grade
Have you chosen what to wear?
We’ll pose you with a slateboard
With your picture-perfect hair.

Remember the first day of fourth grade
As you waited for the bus?
We posed you with a slateboard
You didn’t want any fuss.

And now the nation reels in outrage
Who would bring those arms to bear?
They pose in front of whiteboards
But we know they just don’t care.

Today is the last day of fourth grade
Any end to our despair?
We’ve posed you in your coffin
Kissed your picture-perfect hair.

- W. Kevin Vicklund
Last Day of Fourth Grade (small).jpg
Last Day of Fourth Grade (small).jpg (180.08 KiB) Viewed 5204 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

School related violence

Post by AndyinPA »

:crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Phoenix520 »

:crying: :crying:

ETA K-this is very moving. :bighug:
RVInit

School related violence

Post by RVInit »

A perfect expression. :cry:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
W. Kevin Vicklund

School related violence

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I originally posted this May 27th last year, the poem and art (to the extent you can call it art) are my own. This and my poem Listen (about George Floyd) will be popping up soon on my Facebook memories.
AndyinPA
Verified:

School related violence

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: :bighug:
Dave from down under

School related violence

Post by Dave from down under »

Damn... first in decades - thankfully no-one injured.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-25/ ... /102388604

WA Premier Mark McGowan says it was lucky no one was killed when shots were fired at a Perth school yesterday, as police released dramatic footage of the aftermath of the incident taken from officers' body-worn cameras.

Key points:
The WA Premier says the shooting "could have been so much worse"
Police have released body-worn camera vision of the aftermath
A mother has told of the "instant panic" she felt when she heard the news

A 15-year-old boy was arrested at the scene, and the police vision shows the moment officers pushed the boy to the ground and handcuffed him as he lay on his stomach.

The teenager allegedly fired three shots at Atlantis Beach Baptist College just before midday on Wednesday, and he remains in police custody, as detectives try to piece together what happened.

Police allege he took two high-powered rifles from his home and went to the college, about 60 kilometres north of Perth's city centre.
raison de arizona

School related violence

Scary.
Florida Man Arrested, AK-47 Found Near Preschool in Fairfax County: Police
Suspect allegedly told officers he was going to the CIA

A Florida man was arrested while trespassing at a McLean, Virginia, preschool Tuesday, and officers seized two firearms from his vehicle, police said. Fairfax County police said one of the guns was an AK-47.

Eric Sandow, 32, allegedly approached the Dolley Madison Preschool about 11 a.m. Tuesday and asked to come inside and use the bathroom.

He was not allowed in, then wandered off.

A community member spotted him and called police to report a suspicious person.

When officers found Sandow, he allegedly said he was going to talk to the CIA, Fairfax County police said. The agency’s headquarters is about a mile away from the preschool.

Sandow wasn’t armed when officers found him, and never made any threats, police said.

Officers detained Sandow, searched his vehicle and found two firearms. A photo released by police shows a long gun and a handgun, plus bullets and other firearm accessories.
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/loca ... e/3354223/
Dave from down under

School related violence

Post by Dave from down under »

Pooh!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-04/ ... /102397796

From horror films to school shooting PSAs, Winnie the Pooh is popping up in the weirdest places

Last month, California Governor Gavin Newsom tweeted his outrage at a book allegedly distributed to Texas children teaching them what to do in the case of an active school shooting.

What was unique about the book was that the message was delivered by Winnie the Pooh, Piglet, Roo and other members of the Hundred Acre Forest.

The page from the book tweeted by Mr Newsom features mother character Kanga teaching child Roo and Piglet that when faced with an active shooter, if they cannot "run" or "hide" then they have to "fight with all our might".

In recent years in the US, the "run, hide, fight" mantra has become the accepted danger response when involved in a school shooting.

It is similar to how "stop, drop, roll" has become a commonplace fire-safety instruction.

etc
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

https://mas.to/@cnexnews/110499905107744067

Shooting at high school graduation in Richmond, Virginia, leaves multiple people wounded
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

School related violence

Post by RTH10260 »

Seven people were shot – leaving three with life-threatening wounds – Tuesday evening outside a theater where a high school graduation ceremony was taking place, Richmond’s interim police chief said.

Two people have been taken into custody, interim police chief Rick Edwards said.

The shooting happened in Richmond’s Monroe Park after Huguenot High School’s graduation ceremony, which took place in the nearby Altria Theater, Richmond Public Schools official Matthew Stanley said. The park is on Virginia Commonwealth University’s campus, across the street from the theater.

Three off-duty officers were working security at the ceremony and heard gunshots outside just before 5:15 p.m. ET. They radioed a call of shots fired and other officers who were working traffic duty responded, Edwards said.

They found the seven victims with gunshot wounds and other people who suffered injuries from causes other than gunshots, including one person who was hit by a car in the chaos following the gunfire, Edwards said.

from https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/06/us/r ... index.html

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”