Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Sugar Magnolia

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
sugar magnolia

Sugar Magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I have breast cancer. The bad kind. The only way it can be any worse at this point is if they discover it has metastasized some place besides the lymph nodes they already know it's in. More CT scans and a full-body bone scan next Thursday. It's been a whirlwind of tests and biopsies and scans and stuff this week but I get a break tomorrow. Told the kids and my parents already, and a few friends who are BC survivors so I could get surgeon and oncologist referrals from them. My girlfriend from TN dropped her life and drove down as soon as I told her and she's been with me until today. She's one of my rocks. My husband and kids are still stunned. He'll start going with me to appointments and treatments next week. I don't know if I'll find out Tuesday or at some later time if I have to do chemo first then surgery, or surgery then chemo/radiation. I don't actually know a lot about any of it. I know it's malignant (what a perfect word for it) fast-growing, triple negative, invasive ductal, and already spread to at least one lymph node under my arm. I have an absolutely fabulous support system, including one friend who texted me at 5:00 am the other day to tell me if I need her to she'll retire early, another friend who dropped off a "fuck, fuck, fuck" gallery wrapped canvas painting, and another friend who is married to a doctor who has made phone calls and referrals, offered himself in any capacity I need and smoothed the road for me in more ways than I can even know. Aidan's wedding is in 4 weeks and I have no idea what shape I'll be in by then but at least we bought the damn dress finally. She'll be a beautiful bride whether I'm there or not. I also told my anti-vax son that it was no longer his choice about getting the shot, it was now his choice whether he wants to see me or not. Non-negotiable.
p0rtia

Re: Sugar Magnolia

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Fuck. Just…fuck. A whole page of them, I have saved them for you. :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart:

My sister is still here. She had metastatic BC, too. Double mastectomy, many chemos later, she’s healthy and still here.

How can we help, honey?

If you don’t mind, I’ll practice some woo on you.(wavy hands energy work, not reiki. I’m certifiable certified!)

Did you have an inkling?
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

:(
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

Oh no....... :brokenheart:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

So, so, sorry to hear this. My mother-in-law had it bad, double mastectomy, chemo, etc. and she's been good for over a decade now. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

:( :bighug:
:fuckyou: cancer
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug: :nooo: :grouphug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

OMG, that's horrible news. I can just imagine your husband trying to wrap his head around all this. :lol: I promise, I'd be exactly like that if it happened in my fambly.

But let's get first things first - you are going to survive this, and we're going to try to help. I learned recently about another friend who was diagnosed with cancer last year and originally told he'd be gone in less than a year. Today he's in remission. You can get there too.

I told him Earvin "Magic" Johnson is still out there enjoying his life, and he has freaking AIDS. So if he can do it, you can do it.

Which means that your attitude and internal strength will help you, and I think you are one of the strongest women I've ever known, right up there in Wifehorn territory.

Today is a good day for me to be sad about this. I'm still recovering from food poisoning or sumpin'. But tomorrow, tell us how we can help, what we can do.
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Oh fuck! 😭
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:yeahthat: and mostly what Foggy said.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

So sorry to hear this, Sugar!

I had ductal breast cancer 11 years ago and I’m still here. I had a double mastectomy and reconstruction.

I wish I could give you a big hug! Stay as positive as you can. It really does make a difference. And they have made so many advances in fighting cancer. :bighug: :bighug:
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

Sugar, I've "known" you for a long time and I know you are one tough but sweet cookie.

You will get through this. :bighug:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:fuckyou: cancer
Damn skippy, :fuckyou: cancer!
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

We are all here for you, Sugar. If I can be any help, I will. I am sending positive vibes (which is all I can do at the moment) but if you need anything at all, please let us know.

You are strong. You can do this. :boxing:

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Gene Kooper

Post by Gene Kooper »

Your posts here are always among the first I read. Because of that, I know you will fight this until it gives up.

Mrs. G sends her love and hugs to a fellow fiber artist.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Oh. My. God.

I wish there was something I could do for you.

My wife is a two-time cancer survivor, so all I can say to you is stay strong.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Omg. I don't know what to say other than I adore you and I want the very, very best for you.

You're a kick ass woman, my dear. :lovestruck:
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

I have faith in you. You single-handedly raised my opinion of Mississippi; you can beat this.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

and fuck cancer.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm so sorry. I have two people I love very much who were both given a really bad prognosis. Both beat it. I always think there is hope. We will all be here for you. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Sugar-

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Oh gosh, Lady Luck has rather forgotten the Magnolia family these last few years, hasn't she?

Very best wishes and sympathy. :bighug:
somerset

Post by somerset »

My stepmother has/had breast cancer. She initially had a single mastectomy, followed by chemo, and things were OK for several years. About a year ago it came back in the other breast, so now she's doing it again. Since I had colon cancer in 2019 (early Stage II, just surgery to remove with no chemo or radiation. I've been really lucky), she and I talk a bit about cancer and our experiences. One thing her oncologist said was, "we've learned so much about how to treat breast cancer over the last 10+ years that it's probably the "best" one to get today." Another thing my stepmother said was she wished she'd gone for a full radical mastectomy the first time, even though a less invasive treatment was considered appropriate at the time. Breast cancer is a lot different than other cancers (actually, cancers are all different from each other) and while very aggressive treatment isn't appropriate for something like early stage colon cancer, it turns out to be much more appropriate for breast cancers.

I'm glad to hear you're getting referrals and recommendations, and proactively handling this. I don't doubt for a second you'll come out of this just fine :bighug: :bighug:

:grouphug:
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

:crying: :bighug:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”