Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin & LT Gov Winsome Sears

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Notaperson

Re: Virginia Governor - Terry McAuliffe v Glenn Youngkin - Nov 2

Post by Notaperson »

Not worth a damn thing, but I'll take any tiny positive hint I can get...

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

We've been so away from cable news... listened to MSNBC on TuneIn, the network isn't on YouTube but there's some Peacock coverage:

Decision 2021 | The Choice/MSNBC on Peacock

Kornacki's tweet, flashbacks :lol: :

CBSN LIVE: 2021 election results, coverage and analysis | CBSN

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I don't know what will happen but I'm hoping for a California-like blow-out.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:34 pm I don't know what will happen but I'm hoping for a California-like blow-out.
Not expecting it, but it sure would feel good.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Fairfax County just coming in with McAuliffe leading with about 74% of the vote, and thus taking statewide lead.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Youngkin up by almost 10 points?

Fuuuuuuuck!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bob

Post by bob »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:17 pm Youngkin up by almost 10 points?
This race will be like those in 2020: Expect an early Republican lead chipped away as the Democratic-stronghold results trickle in later in the night.

But I don't know enough to know whether the later results will be enough.
Image ImageImage
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Dave Wasserman's seen enough. Not ready to go there until we know more about Fairfax, but respect Dave a lot.

Dave.JPG
Dave.JPG (24.54 KiB) Viewed 1489 times

Midterms are a long way away. Not getting those bills done in Congress hurt but this is going to light a fire under getting them done. Tough with such close majorities but there's so much good coming... hearing, at last, they've agreed Medicare is going to be able to negotiate on drug pricing, that's taken decades. It's so important to let people know what's in these bills, we can't let the Obamacare information gap happen again.

We're still 100% confident that Democrats will keep the House and Senate in the 2022 Midterms. Races like these help adjust strategies. Tara has a point. Gateway House of Boys is already SCREAMING it's rigged. If Trumpkin wins, they won't care, it'll be never mind.
Tara Setmayer @TaraSetmayer 1h
Regardless of tonight's outcome in #VAGov, Dems must be tougher & more prepared for political guerilla warfare in the midterms.

Rs don't give a f*ck about your feelings or facts or the truth. You can't bring a policy pen to a gunfight.
LPTV @lptv 8h
TONIGHT: Catch a special Election Night episode of LPTV’s The Breakdown 🍿
@TheRickWilson and @TaraSetmayer break down the results live at 9:30 PM ET.

Tune in: http://bit.ly/3vmhHNz
https://twitter.com/lptv

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

We're still 100% confident that Democrats will keep the House and Senate in the 2022 Midterms.

I pray you're right, but I have to say that I'm not confident.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
bob

Post by bob »

The race is tightening (53% to 46.4% with 82% of the precincts reporting), but that may not be enough.
Image ImageImage
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm getting depressed. :crying:

If McAuliffe loses, I'm going back to saying I'm from WDC.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Doesn't look any better down ballot. Looks like the democrats are losing the lt governorship as well as attorney General
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

what the actual F is wrong with people????
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

sad-cafe wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:41 pm what the actual F is wrong with people????
Power, Rs see themselves at the cusp of ultimate power, and it has them showing u to the polls. Dems face the usual not showing up for and off year election problemem.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

sad-cafe wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:41 pm what the actual F is wrong with people????
They don't care.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Wish our Democrats had gotten more accomplished in Congress, having to depend on Manchin and Sinema has sure been tough. But there's a year until the midterms. Sad for the folks in Virginia (and NJ is closer than expected*). Democrats crushed it in California a few months back. Adams won by 40 points in NYC. Would have been great to buck the odds in VA, but we all know it's predictable to see a flip in VA after a presidential (IIRC, the only time it wasn't was with Terry of all things). Republicans also flooded the polling averages in VA, that was in the Sabato report -- other than the Fox News poll (suspect in itself), every other released poll in the last week was from GOP polling firms.

Trumpers have been losing for several years -- audits, House, Senate, Presidential, on and on... the GOP has been crushed into the dirt. And their demographics aren't getting any better. So sure, Republicans are going to go wild, they haven't won in VA since 2009. But Democrats still control the House, Senate and White House.

:stamp:

And the GOP is still the party of lies. From The Big Lie to not even knowing what Critical Race Theory is (the new Southern racial strategy), the GOP is bankrupt. Pro Democrats need to deeply dive into the data from tonight and make corrections. But by next year when COVID has receded, the consumer economy is stronger (although the stock market hit another high today) & the legislation has been passed from child care to prescription drugs to employment from infrastructure, it's going to be a whole different world. In a sense, good that Washington is getting this message to get those cats to herd. We're still totally confident.

As of 11:45pm ET, a live NBC News YouTube special is still on. It's Chuck Todd & the reporters, Kornacki is still on the MSNBC channel.

LIVE: Meet The Press 2021 Election Night Special Coverage | NBC News NOW
26,236 watching now Started streaming 2 hours ago

filly

Post by filly »

“People” are disappointed in the Democrats. I have tried to tell you folks but instead many prefer to argue that people don’t have a right to be disappointed. I think there were many factors here but the Democrats better wake up.
bob

Post by bob »

filly wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:00 am “People” are disappointed in the Democrats. I have tried to tell you folks but instead many prefer to argue that people don’t have a right to be disappointed. I think there were many factors here but the Democrats better wake up.
Too also: Off-year election where a vote for the Republican gubernatorial candidate was also seen as a protest against the sitting president.
Image ImageImage
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

In a bit of good news, looks like Dems have held onto or at least tied the VA. House of Delegates. It's significant to me that no networks have yet called the races in either VA. or NJ. There must be enough mail-in votes still uncounted to potentially make a difference.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

filly wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:00 am
“People” are disappointed in the Democrats. I have tried to tell you folks but instead many prefer to argue that people don’t have a right to be disappointed. I think there were many factors here but the Democrats better wake up.
Counterpoint with a bit of perspective;

But the Dems lose the vote Governorship in a state that only went for a Dem governor once in the last 11 elections since the 1970s, to a Republican who ran a campaign distancing himself from Trump, While winning everywhere else. and we are back to "you should have run Bernie instead!"

And Turnout was very good for the Dems in an off year election.

Positivity. Yes the media picked Virginia as a bellweather to suck Trump dick, but look around you, kids. The guy who won ran away from Trump as fast as he could, but the Republicans will learn the lesson that they should suck Trump dick even more.

That said:

Hic sunt dracones
Luke

Post by Luke »

Filly, you'll never hear me argue about that (or anything, you know how smitten with you I am). :lovestruck: The slow progress has lots of people disappointed and frustrated and that's what elections are for. Now Congress and the White House will look deeply at the results and make corrections. Still think a lot is timing, when inflation & gas prices come down, COVID is in the rearview mirror, and folks learn of the Build Back Better & Infrastructure contents, all of which individually poll incredibly well, have confidence it'll turn around.

Trying to take a moment to, unlike Trumpers, congratulate them on their win. It's been a long time since they've had one. And it's a point of pride for everyone that Winsome Sears was elected as the first Black Lt Gov in VA's history. So taking the opportunity to congratulate the R team on this, we have to set an example that when an election is over, it's over. Heartened that there are a lot of Republicans who appreciate that, any small places we can get the conversation going again is vitally important.
From your Democratic friends: Congratulations to Winsome Sears, #VAGov Glenn Youngkin and your team on the wins. It was a well-fought election and respect to Virginians who made their choice. 🗳️ Wishing Youngkin and the team success in a beautiful state, lots of family there. 🇺🇸
Leo Sears.JPG
Leo Sears.JPG (73.15 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

Sam.JPG
Sam.JPG (45.61 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

PS: DecisionDesk standing by its projection that Murphy prevails in NJ. Lots of vote still out in blue NJ.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

That was a very nice response.
Last edited by Foggy on Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: speling/grammer
Hic sunt dracones
filly

Post by filly »

Thanks Orlylicious. I didn’t post about disappointment with Biden to be argumentative but rather to tell folks what I was hearing from real people around the country. And that the polls were reflecting the same sentiments. The situation is far more complex but that is a big red flag. I try to be, to coin a name, a realist. .
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Thanks, filly, Orlylicious, and all you others for a great discussion of the results in Virginia.

I'm trying to be optimistic. I'm trying.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶

Return to “Current Politics”