Raise the Debt Ceiling? Not when a Democrat is President

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

That’s right! For two years y’all have been proclaiming that you don’t care if the full faith and credit is breached; in fact you’ll do your damnest to make it happen.

But it’s Biden‘s fault. Let’s be crystal clear that if he doesn’t do what we say, we’ll bring the whole thing down.

Just like Putin, Trump, and Bannon want.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

The blackmailer blames the victim.

Got it.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:03 pm If House GOP doesn’t back down, they’re heroes. If Biden doesn’t back down, its all his fault.

Sounds legit.
Funny how that works. Heads I win, tails you lose.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

. You may have heard this before. The federal government hit its legal debt limit in January - $31.4 trillion. This week, House Republicans approved a bill to let the country keep borrowing money, but with strings attached. President Biden says they're unacceptable. Since 1960, Congress has raised, extended or revised the debt limit 78 separate times - 49 times under Republican presidents, 29 times under Democratic administrations. Kathleen Day is a business journalist who teaches financial history at Johns Hopkins University's Carey Business School.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Completely unbelievable. Not buying it for a second.
Republican Claims Senate Dems Would Pass McCarthy's Debt Ceiling Bill

Rep. [Marshall is a Senator] Roger Marshall tried to talk up the unserious and highly destructive House debt ceiling bill and claimed, with no proof, up to forty Senate Democrats would vote for it.
One minute video at link: https://crooksandliars.com/cltv/2023/05 ... dems-would
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tek

Post by tek »

bring it on, Joe..
d-1.jpg
d-1.jpg (117.4 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

PJ, I know you think these are gotcha videos somehow, but wtf is this? Bunch a Republicans grumbling about Biden, honestly I didn’t understand the point he was making. And I wholeheartedly disagree that what they’re doing is for the American people.

At least make a comment when you plop these down so we can see what your point might be.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:lol:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:46 am PJ, I know you think these are gotcha videos somehow, but wtf is this? Bunch a Republicans grumbling about Biden, honestly I didn’t understand the point he was making. And I wholeheartedly disagree that what they’re doing is for the American people.

At least make a comment when you plop these down so we can see what your point might be.
Seems to me you got/made the point clear. Thanks.

This week it’s the folks in the red hats in front of the mikes, next week it’ll be the blue hats, instead of doing their jobs. The “gotcha” is on us for continuing to vote for them.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:46 am PJ, I know you think these are gotcha videos somehow, but wtf is this? Bunch a Republicans grumbling about Biden, honestly I didn’t understand the point he was making. And I wholeheartedly disagree that what they’re doing is for the American people.

You Tube keeps suggesting Forbes videos to me and I keep ignoring them. Forbes is conservative trash.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

pjhimself wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:14 am This week it’s the folks in the red hats in front of the mikes, next week it’ll be the blue hats, instead of doing their jobs. The “gotcha” is on us for continuing to vote for them.
Equating the two American political parties is a blatant and disgusting falsehood, which must be challenged. It's amazing that anyone could be a part of this website and be that hopelessly ignorant of reality.

Only one party is a direct threat to American democracy, and we all know very well which one it is.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Foggy wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:39 am
pjhimself wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:14 am This week it’s the folks in the red hats in front of the mikes, next week it’ll be the blue hats, instead of doing their jobs. The “gotcha” is on us for continuing to vote for them.
Equating the two American political parties is a blatant and disgusting falsehood, which must be challenged. It's amazing that anyone could be a part of this website and be that hopelessly ignorant of reality.

Only one party is a direct threat to American democracy, and we all know very well which one it is.
History has given the major parties in our Republic equivalency, not me.
You are so clearly full of your own ignorance/bias as to post such an allegation/challenge without substantiation.
Do you really believe these pressers (by both parties) serve your/our interests ?

The debt “limit” has been an issue for over 100 years. Both parties have chosen to find ways to get around the “limit” over those 100 years. Check your facts sir. The majority party has never cared about you/us when it comes to budget.

And, for you to change the subject to “threat to democracy” ought to be something the guy in charge of thread hijacking ought to deal with but, oh my that would be you; won’t happen here. Partisanship seems to reign here and so be it. Welcome to Fogbow.

I’ve surpassed my limit for dealing with those who have different ideas but don’t accept that other ideas are allowed/welcome for discussion. I wonder where they store their blinders. Not you of course… kind responder.

Being accused of “blatant and disgusting falsehood” seems (unfortunately) typical of this site (and what goes on in DC). Red hats hate the Blue hats, and vice versa, yet never the twain shall meet to get things done (gee, isn’t that the point here ???).

Rant over, I’ll be back maybe later with some non partisan doggie posts.

(I chose not to finish with a more negative finish)
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

You’re surprised about our partisanship? It’s no secret. Where have you been for the last 13 years?

Do you think you’re not partisan?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

You’re surprised about our partisanship? It’s no secret. Where have you been for the last 13 years?

ETA We believe what we believe. We are by and large educated, we don’t watch FOX news, and we are old. Please do us the courtesy of believing that we’ve come to our beliefs for reasons, over time. You aren’t going to change anyone’s mind.
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:11 pm You’re surprised about our partisanship? It’s no secret. Where have you been for the last 13 years?

ETA We believe what we believe. We are by and large educated, we don’t watch FOX news, and we are old. Please do us the courtesy of believing that we’ve come to our beliefs for reasons, over time. You aren’t going to change anyone’s mind.
Proof of my partisanship ??? Got it. None shown here. Facts not relevant.

Fox News, watch if you will, or CNN or CNBC or any of the so called “news” sources you choose.
Being “old” doesn’t make you smart. (In fact some of the postings here prove otherwise).
Please stay on topic. We bring in $$$ and but continue to spend more than that, both parties. Fact

This is an issue that is older than your quoted 13 years. And older than you, though you don’t seem to care.
Debt limit is a century old issue that neither party has dealt with.

I wonder sometimes if some of you read your own posts.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yeah, I never read my own posts or any other posts here.

I don’t watch the news either. I come from a newspaper family. My dad was an editor at several; other fam members are reporters and editors throughout the country. At one point in my life I read newspapers from every state, daily. I don’t lack variety.

So you truly don’t believe you’re partisan, from your response. I’d say differently if someone asked.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

He's not partisan, he just posts conservative horse potatoes. :lol:

Your fault if you watch any video he posts. I never do. :roll:
... if you post some content created by someone else, without making any comment of your own, we have to assume that you agree 100% with the content you posted. If you disagree with any content you posted, make that very clear to your readers.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The debt limit hasn't been an issue for over 100 years. It only began to be an issue in 1953

The only people who say both parties are the same are Republicans or republican sympathetic. Did you ever think about why that is the case before you swallowed their rhetoric? Why are the people who lie about the Democratic party saying they are the same as the Republican party?
Hic sunt dracones
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Suranis wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:05 pm The debt limit hasn't been an issue for over 100 years. It only began to be an issue in 1953

The only people who say both parties are the same are Republicans or republican sympathetic. Did you ever think about why that is the case before you swallowed their rhetoric? Why are the people who lie about the Democratic party saying they are the same as the Republican party?
Sorry to bring the discussion back to the topic:
In 1917, during World War I, Congress created the debt ceiling with the Second Liberty Bond Act of 1917, which allowed the Treasury to issue bonds and take on other debt without specific Congressional approval, as long as the total debt fell under the statutory debt ceiling. The 1917 legislation set limits on the aggregate amount of debt that could be accumulated through individual categories of debt (such as bonds and bills).
. Depending on who is doing the research, it is said that the US has raised its debt ceiling (in some form or other) at least 90 times in the 20th century.[13]

The debt ceiling was raised 74 times from March 1962 to May 2011,[14] including 18 times under Ronald Reagan, eight times under Bill Clinton, seven times under George W. Bush, and five times under Barack Obama. In practice, the debt ceiling has never been reduced, even though the public debt itself may have reduced.

Congress has raised the debt ceiling 14 times from 2001 to 2016. The debt ceiling was raised a total of 7 times (total increase of $5365bil) during Pres. Bush's eight-year term and it was raised 11 times (as of 03/2015 a total increase of $6498bil) during Pres. Obama's eight years in office.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... nd%20bills).-,Public%20Debt%20Acts,and%201941%20and%20subsequently%20amended.

Send your complaints or corrections to Wiki, not me.

None of the above is news. It’s only on topic.
Carry on.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

See what I mean? He isn't going to defend the video he posted on Saturday, and instead he's going to lecture you about posting off-topic, you bad person, you. :fingerwag:

And he's going to find something that actually is accurate to post, in the hope that we'll forget about the stupid partisan right-wing video that was, after all, two whole days ago.

Only one American political party is a direct threat to American democracy and our way of life. Read more of the topics we post here, and you'll learn more about that.
:flag:

For example, the Democrats in Congress have never threatened to prevent the United States from paying its debts as a political stunt, like the Republicans have done many times already.

There's a good chance that we're going to default on our debts, which is going to seriously hurt the country I love. And it will be 100% the Republicans' fault, but they'll lie about it all day and night and blame it on Joe Biden, because Republicans are lying assholes who hate our American democratic republic.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Every time we get to this debt limit crisis, the GOP threatens to crash everything if they don't get their way, like a 4-yo in a grocery store who didn't get his Capn Crunch. Then the public gets scared when gas prices soar, the market crashes and people wonder if their social security payments will show. Despite Republicans insisting Dems will take the heat, sentiment turns against the GOP for causing the instability when a lot of the public realizes all the GOP needs to do is pass the raise and then they can go back to bitching about immigrants and "entitlements." The rich people losing $$ in the market crash start bitching at their servants, errrr, congresspeople to stop the bleeding, they pass the raise, then take credit for it.

Or am I misremembering?

(I don't mean to belittle the urgency, I know it's about to get bad, but that's how I remember it.)
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, but the 4 year olds have gotten away with threatening to break the toy (the United States of America), without any serious repercussions, and I fear they're eventually going to really break it, just to see what happens.

Empty Gee and Matt Highschoolgirls would totally do it.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

The subject video highlights folks wearing red hats talking into microphones about what’s wrong with the folks that wear blue hats. What’s wrong is that no matter which hat they wear, negotiating isn’t happening, typical Washington.

You can spin things if you must but that’s the topic. Throwing shade elsewhere seems to be a theme here.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

pjhimself wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:41 am Send your complaints or corrections to Wiki, not me.

None of the above is news. It’s only on topic.
Carry on.
Read further down the wiki article

You said it has been a problem for over 100 years. You then posted when it was enacted as though that proved something. The first time there was a problem was 1953 when the senate refused to pass a debt raising bill.

Then
In 1979, noting the potential problems of hitting a default, Dick Gephardt imposed the "Gephardt Rule," a parliamentary rule that deemed the debt ceiling raised when a budget was passed. This resolved the contradiction in voting for appropriations but not voting to fund them. The rule stood until it was repealed by Congress in 1995
So there were no problems in that period of time.

The fact that you posted that without revealing the rest shows that either you read it on some right wing propaganda website that didn't show you the rest of the wiki page and you didn't have the curiosity to check it, or you were being a disingenuous shit.

Also, I'm impressed that spending a couple of sentences attacking the logic of the central premise of your post "Both sides are the same" inspired you to declare that the whole thing was off topic and decide to avoid it for the good of everyone. How magnanimous of you.

And I just noticed you went right back to declaring it in the post right above this which you posted while I was typing. What, is it only off topic when someone points out the logic of it is nonsense? It would be irresponsible not to speculate.
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Economy”