Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Raise the Debt Ceiling? Not when a Democrat is President

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Posted for the duplicitous video at the bottom.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I'm sure there are folks who laugh off this sickening debt ceiling mess. It's not a joke to many of us who have to consider the possibility of late or missing SS checks or VA benefits for disabled veterans, and federal workers.while I live thinly, and I have been judicially working on building credit (to qualify for a new roof,) my financial health is directly dependent on my SS benefits. WHICH I fucking earned and saved the gubbmint tons of $ caring for a disabled son and dying husband. I earned every fucking dollar the pus-brained republicanss are playing with and I am feeling physically ill over this.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:bighug:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:52 pm I'm sure there are folks who laugh off this sickening debt ceiling mess. It's not a joke to many of us who have to consider the possibility of late or missing SS checks or VA benefits for disabled veterans, and federal workers... and I am feeling physically ill over this.
I'm with you.

I'm preparing for retirement. I'm using most of my SS to pay off credit cards and the rest for to my savings account. Now I'm worried.

Rant:
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
In other news...
The White House @WhiteHouse wrote: The threat of default is a crisis manufactured by House Republicans. Plain and simple.
Holding the US economy hostage.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

They went home for the holidays. :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:56 pm They went home for the holidays. :mad:
They didn't go home, they went on billionaire funded junkets. :torches:
raison de arizona

Kevin McCarthy @SpeakerMcCarthy wrote: I am not going to give up. I will stay with it until we solve the Democrats' spending addiction.
Christopher Webb @cwebbonline wrote: Dude, you and House Republicans literally gave yourselves a four day weekend while the U.S. is on the brink of default.
@SpeakerMcCarthy
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/pretty-big-news
Pretty Big News
By Josh Marshall
|
May 26, 2023 12:16 a.m.
THE BACKCHANNEL
FREE EDITION
NEW!
A FREE email newsletter from Josh Marshall

One thing that has had me very concerned over recent days is that the White House would be forced to take a rough deal with House Republicans and then also have to whip Democratic votes to get it passed. So the Freedom Caucus forces a ruinous deal and then doesn’t even vote for it. Democrats have to make up those votes. That’s not worth doing. Despite the danger, force McCarthy to pass it entirely with Republican votes. If he can’t get the votes for his own demands, let’s just go over the cliff.

But news out tonight from the Times, now also confirmed by the Post, points to the outlines of a deal that actually looks fairly good for the Dems.

Caveats: You’ll know there’s a deal when it’s official. Maybe this falls apart. Also, let’s remember that we shouldn’t be in this negotiation at all. But we are in the negotiation and we’re days from a crisis. Here are the outlines of a deal as I understand them from the Times article.

Defense and Veterans spending continues to rise at the level Biden outlined in his budget. No freeze there. Other spending (non-defense discretionary spending) gets frozen but at roughly 2023 levels rather than 2022 levels. That difference may not sound like a big deal but it is.

There are cuts that bring the numbers in a bit under 2023 levels. But they make up that money but taking $10 billion from the $80 billion of expanded funding for the IRS. Taking $10 billion away from the increased funding for the IRS allows Republicans to say they clawed back some of the money going to that mythical army of IRS “agents” who are going to harass ordinary working folk. That’s not great. But $10 billion off the $80 billion leaves the great bulk of the funding intact and it basically protects key social spending

There are two additional provisions which, if they pan out, seem key. The debt ceiling is raised into 2025, so out past the next election. The deal also prevents Republicans from coming back for another bite at the apple later this year when it comes time to put together an actual budget. That’s always been one of the huge risks here. You’re forced to agree to ruinous cuts and then Republicans come back in 4 or 5 months to extort more cuts, this time with the threat of a government shutdown. This prevents that second bite at the apple and basically rules out the possibility of a government shutdown later this year.

Clawing back unspent COVID spending isn’t even mentioned in this piece. Perhaps that’s because it’s assumed at this point. I don’t know.

They’re still arguing over work requirements and so-called “permitting reform.”

Again: This isn’t great. There shouldn’t be a negotiation at all. But this is a fairly small payment for the hostage, given what was possible.
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

US debt crisis: Joe Biden gets the deal done but at a cost
President accepts a compromise that could anger some Democrats in the hope of avoiding economic calamity

James Politi and Aime Williams in Washington
YESTERDAY

Joe Biden tried to make the best of the fiscal truce he negotiated with Republican House speaker Kevin McCarthy late on Saturday, designed to prevent a potentially devastating default on US debt in little more than a week.

“The agreement represents a compromise, which means not everyone gets what they want,” the US president said. “That’s the responsibility of governing.”

While the pact will cement Biden’s reputation for bipartisan dealmaking, it comes at a cost. For months he had pleaded for Congress to raise the country’s $31.4tn borrowing limit without a fight, only to be drawn into frenzied budget negotiations in Washington that forced him to cut short a trip to Asia.

Many Democrats — particularly those furthest to the left — have grown increasingly unhappy about the terms of the deal as it came together, worrying that he was offering too many concessions.

“I think the White House is trying to do a good job and the president’s heart is certainly in the right place,” said Sheldon Whitehouse, the Democratic senator from Rhode Island, ahead of the deal. “The question is, when you’re negotiating with a fanatic who has a hand grenade, the situation can get very precarious.”

The agreement was sealed in a phone call on Saturday evening between McCarthy and Biden. The Republican House speaker announced it before Biden, shortly after 9pm, with a cutting Twitter post. “I just got off the phone with the president a bit ago,” McCarthy wrote. “After he wasted time and refused to negotiate for months, we’ve come to an agreement in principle that is worthy of the American people.”

https://www.ft.com/content/12ff8ac9-579 ... 093ecc5921
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:35 pm
US debt crisis: Joe Biden gets the deal done but at a cost
President accepts a compromise that could anger some Democrats in the hope of avoiding economic calamity

James Politi and Aime Williams in Washington
YESTERDAY

Joe Biden tried to make the best of the fiscal truce he negotiated with Republican House speaker Kevin McCarthy late on Saturday, designed to prevent a potentially devastating default on US debt in little more than a week.

“The agreement represents a compromise, which means not everyone gets what they want,” the US president said. “That’s the responsibility of governing.”

While the pact will cement Biden’s reputation for bipartisan dealmaking, it comes at a cost. For months he had pleaded for Congress to raise the country’s $31.4tn borrowing limit without a fight, only to be drawn into frenzied budget negotiations in Washington that forced him to cut short a trip to Asia.

Many Democrats — particularly those furthest to the left — have grown increasingly unhappy about the terms of the deal as it came together, worrying that he was offering too many concessions.

“I think the White House is trying to do a good job and the president’s heart is certainly in the right place,” said Sheldon Whitehouse, the Democratic senator from Rhode Island, ahead of the deal. “The question is, when you’re negotiating with a fanatic who has a hand grenade, the situation can get very precarious.”

The agreement was sealed in a phone call on Saturday evening between McCarthy and Biden. The Republican House speaker announced it before Biden, shortly after 9pm, with a cutting Twitter post. “I just got off the phone with the president a bit ago,” McCarthy wrote. “After he wasted time and refused to negotiate for months, we’ve come to an agreement in principle that is worthy of the American people.”

https://www.ft.com/content/12ff8ac9-579 ... 093ecc5921
Well, thar ya go. Repubs showing decency and dignity. I hope their fucking nuts fall off.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Oooorrrrrrr, Biden let McCarthy stew in his own juices by blowing off his ridiculous demands.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

I'm pretty much staying out of this. We're running the Senate and White House, the MAGA House is mostly squeaking irrelevantly. Next year will be the battle for the election. There's no way the debt ceiling should be fu*ked with, but it's political reality. Better this than the chaos these GOP idiots who don't even know what the debt ceiling is could cause.

The Gateway House of Boys has a ANGRY column with points by Nancy Mace, who is bending over backwards for MAGA because of her (limited) pro-choice position. So now she has to be an idiot.

This is a pretty good overview, but presented as LOSING for Republicans. Not being able to understand that compromise is how things get done is another example of their inability to govern. They prefer being skunks at the garden party someone else is hosting. In 2024, let's let them get back to what they love -- being the minority opposition.

Bonus: Joe Biden is an Evil Genius who punked the MAGA House but he also can't find his pants. Nancy doesn't seem to notice how that makes no sense.
“NO”: Rep. Nancy Mace Eviscerates Biden-McCarthy Debt Ceiling Deal, “Republicans got outsmarted by a President who can’t find his pants”
By Kristinn Taylor May. 30, 2023 11:46 am

Rep. Nancy Mace (R-SC) eviscerated the debt ceiling deal between Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) and Joe Biden in a Twitter thread posted Tuesday morning in which she announced she would be voting “NO” on the deal. After a detailed takedown of the bill, Mace observed; “63% of Americans want Congress to cut spending as part of a debt ceiling deal. This bill doesn’t do that. Unacceptable.” The Biden-McCarthy agreement is not holding up under scrutiny and is being seen by conservative lawmakers in both houses of Congress as a cave by McCarthy. (Read the 99 page bill at this link.)

[Nancy's tweet thread:]

Washington is broken. [Wow, what a clever opening.]
Republicans got outsmarted by a President who can’t find his pants.
I’m voting NO on the debt ceiling debacle because playing the DC game isn’t worth selling out our kids and grandkids.
— Rep. Nancy Mace (@RepNancyMace) May 30, 2023
Let’s dive into the bill: This “deal” normalizes record high spending started during the pandemic. It sets these historically high spending levels as the baseline for all future spending. The bill then grows govt even more each year at about ~1%.

After factoring in a small cut to discretionary spending over the next 2 yrs, we are still talking about ~$6T more or less in spending bc of large increases in spending elsewhere. In other words, it’s a wash spending-wise.

Govt grew massively over the past 3 years. This growth was supposed to be emergency funding only during COVID. During this time, govt grew 40% or by $2 trillion from 2019 to 2023. We went from spending just over $4T to spending just over $6T.

This deal keeps that record high spending intact and makes it the baseline for all spending. Wild.

The bill doesn’t actually set a debt limit. Rather it suspends the debt limit entirely until Jan. 2, 2025 and there is no actual amount capping the debt ceiling.

Some say there will be a $2T deficit in 6 years, but that CBO guesstimate relies on spending caps that do not exist and are not binding in any way in this deal.

And only in DC is a bill clawing back small amounts of unspent COVID funds considered a cut.

They tell us this bill cuts $41b in its first year; about the same amount as the unspent COVID funds. Pretty convenient. Also not a cut.

And on that note, do we really think the states will send back unspent COVID funds or will they find a way to use the money so they don’t have to send it back?

Pay-as-you-go has some fine print under Section 265 everyone should read. The OMB director has sole waiver authority to spend if it’s “necessary for program delivery.” So that one line wipes out PAYGO. These words on paper are totally meaningless if you read the fine print.

A $1.4b cut to the IRS doesn’t equal $80b in cuts to the IRS. Nor does it mean we are “gutting” the IRS or its 87k new hires. Allegedly there will be $10b cut off top for 2024 during the approps process. But it’s also not in bill. That money can be cut anywhere the IRS decides.

Work requirements for SNAP moved from age 50 to 54 and student loan forgiveness EO repeal never happened. Not sure why anyone even bothered here.

Manchin’s carve out for his pipeline is not germane to the bill. This is just your run of the mill govt picking winners and losers in the market and business as usual in Washington. 🙃

A continuing resolution at 99% in Section 102 only applies to discretionary and provides ample time for an omnibus should all else fail.

While we like the intent here, it’s like a Penny Plan for discretionary, but once again, bc of how it’s written, it’s meaningless.

Fully funds every spending request by the Administration (pretty much).

And just a friendly reminder, debt ceilings are about future outlays, about future spending, and how it will be financed. It’s not about past spending or past obligations from one Administration to another. Let that sink in.

63% of Americans want Congress to cut spending as part of a debt ceiling deal. This bill doesn’t do that. Unacceptable.

Washington is, was and always will be lousy at responsibly spending your tax dollars.

That won’t change unless we demand change.
Running tally of “No” Republicans by the DC Examiner’s Cami Mondeaux:

Keith Self (TX)
Nancy Mace (SC)
Wes Hunt (TX)
Cory Mills (FL)
Matt Gaetz (FL)
Anna Paulina Luna (FL)
Mary Miller (IL)

Likely no's, but undecided:
Tim Burchett (TN)
Victoria Spartz (IN)
Raul Grijalva (D-AZ)
— Cami Mondeaux (@cami_mondeaux) May 30, 2023

A list with more GOP “no” votes compiled by CNN’s Haley Talbot:

Informal whip count latest —> pic.twitter.com/0uR0FZsZIh
— Haley Talbot (@haleytalbotcnn) May 30, 2023
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

“Republicans got outsmarted by a President who can’t find his pants”

By the way, every time I respond to a Rasmussen poll, one of their questions is whether or not Biden is actually running things or is it really people behind the scenes who are in charge. That goes right along with the Right Wing assertions that Biden is just a bumbling front man for the radical left policy makers.
bob

Post by bob »

orlylicious wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:28 pmNot being able to understand that compromise is how things get done is another example of their inability to govern.
Exactly: Biden and McCarthy made a deal that majorities from both parties can live with. And hence will have a majority in the House, even if both parties' wings vote against it.

The next issue is whether the Freedum Caucus will try to jam the vote by moving to vacate the speakership. I assume, if such a motion is made before the vote on the debt ceiling, enough Democrats would vote in support of McCarthy.
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

“NO”: Rep. Nancy Mace Eviscerates Biden-McCarthy Debt Ceiling Deal, “Republicans got outsmarted by a President who can’t find his pants
And what does that say about Republicans?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:38 pm By the way, every time I respond to a Rasmussen poll, one of their questions is whether or not Biden is actually running things or is it really people behind the scenes who are in charge. That goes right along with the Right Wing assertions that Biden is just a bumbling front man for the radical left policy makers.
I believe I have seen this kind of thinking for decades. For some reason, there are people who think the Presidency is a Kingship. It not running a Ma&Pa local ice cream shop. Management requires delegating authority and find/retaining the best women/men for those jobs. Joe doesn't have to do everything because he is smart enough to know that there are people in their respected fields of expertise and are better than him.

tfg problem was he, while not on executive time(watching Fox and Friends) or golfing, he tried to micromanage. Resulted in the continuous revolving door of his administration.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

neonzx wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:14 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:38 pm By the way, every time I respond to a Rasmussen poll, one of their questions is whether or not Biden is actually running things or is it really people behind the scenes who are in charge. That goes right along with the Right Wing assertions that Biden is just a bumbling front man for the radical left policy makers.
I believe I have seen this kind of thinking for decades. For some reason, there are people who think the Presidency is a Kingship. It not running a Ma&Pa local ice cream shop. Management requires delegating authority and find/retaining the best women/men for those jobs. Joe doesn't have to do everything because he is smart enough to know that there are people in their respected fields of expertise and are better than him.

tfg problem was he, while not on executive time(watching Fox and Friends) or golfing, he tried to micromanage. Resulted in the continuous revolving door of his administration.
BUT.... But.... but.... he knows everything better than his Generals .... :lol:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

neonzx wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:14 pm

:yeahthat:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Nobody can prove that I have been hiding Joe's pants. :?

'Course, we knew he couldn't find his pants when we picked him to run against Trump. It was great fun, watching a guy who couldn't even find his own pants, but he kicked Trump’s ass anyway hahahahahaha OMG I gotta breathe! :rotflmao:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

It passed the House:
The House on Wednesday overwhelmingly passed legislation negotiated by President Biden and Speaker Kevin McCarthy to suspend the debt ceiling and set federal spending limits, as a broad bipartisan coalition lined up to cast a critical vote to pull the nation back from the brink of economic catastrophe.

The bill would defer the federal debt limit for two years — allowing the government to borrow unlimited sums as necessary to pay its obligations — while imposing two years of spending caps and a string of policy changes that Republicans demanded in exchange for allowing the country to avoid a disastrous default. The 314-to-117 vote came days before the nation was set to exhaust its borrowing limit, and days after a marathon set of talks between White House negotiators and top House Republicans yielded a breakthrough agreement.

With both far-right and hard-left lawmakers in revolt over the deal, it fell to a bipartisan coalition powered by Democrats to push the bill over the finish line, throwing their support behind the compromise in an effort to break the fiscal stalemate that had gripped Washington for weeks. On the final vote, 149 Republicans and 165 Democrats backed the measure, while 71 Republicans and 46 Democrats opposed it.

That was a blow to the Republican speaker, whose hard-fought victory on the measure was dampened by the fact that more Democrats ultimately voted for the bill than members of his own party.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/31/us/p ... -vote.html

"Speaker of the House..."

Return to “Economy”