Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Raise the Debt Ceiling? Not when a Democrat is President

Notaperson

Re: Raise the Debt Ceiling? Not when a Democrat is President

Post by Notaperson »

McConnell shows signs of caving...

McConnell to propose deal with Schumer to solve debt impasse

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/575 ... bt-impasse
tek

Post by tek »

If true, McConnell sees poll data showing he and the GOP are gonna take a hit for this obstruction.
At least that's my political-pundit's view.
(Narrator: he's not a political pundit)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Temporary, should last two months (December) before we do this all over again again.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Don't tell me the Dems put McConnell in a position of weakness because I know better and they didn't, nyaaah, nyaaah, I can't hear you. :notlistening:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Today has been an unusually hamfisted day for Mitch McConnell. He has jammed himself into a corner and is scrambling to find 10 of his party willing fall on their swords and open themselves up for primaries, as Schumer and the Dems circle for the kill.

https://twitter.com/Angry_Staffer/statu ... 5829949440
Jake Sherman@JakeSherman
· 3h
Thune says Rs do not have 10 votes to break their party’s filibuster. He said they’ll get there but it will be a “painful birthing process”
Angry Staffer@Angry_Staffer
3h
This has been a really interesting misstep from a usually politically savvy McConnell.
Jake Sherman@JakeSherman
· 3h
Just to be clear:

Rs are demanding 60 votes to overcome the filibuster on the debt limit. This only hurts Rs, who now have to find 10 Rs to vote for cloture.

Schumer offered them all week to do this at a majority threshold. Now McConnell wants it at a majority threshold!
T-texan mom here@Carmell90250805
Replying to @Angry_Staffer
Explain more?
3h
Mitch blocked Dems trying to pass this with a majority vote more than once

- Dems said “k fine we’ll nuke the filibuster”

- McConnell said “oh shit we gotta get something passed”

- Now his caucus is still demanding a 60 vote threshold and they’re trying to find 10 Rs to vote
3h
McConnell laid a trap for the Dems to try to saddle all of Trump’s debt on them, pledging on the Senate floor the GOP would provide no votes for this.

Now they need 10 votes or Dems will nuke the filibuster, and nobody wants to be one of the 10.

He shit and fell back in it.
Hic sunt dracones
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Trump and his allies target McConnell over deal to avoid default
Thursday’s debt-limit deal has prompted a new round of attacks on Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell by former president Donald Trump and his supporters, highlighting McConnell’s beleaguered role in a party where Trump remains the most powerful force.

“Looks like Mitch McConnell is folding to the Democrats, again,” Trump said in a statement issued through his Save America PAC. “He’s got all of the cards with the debt ceiling, it’s time to play the hand. Don’t let them destroy our Country!”

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), one of Trump’s closest allies on Capitol Hill, described McConnell’s deal as an abject surrender to the Democrats. “I don’t understand why we as Republicans are folding here,” he said. “This is a complete capitulation.”

And on his “War Room” podcast, former Trump White House chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon criticized McConnell at length, deriding him as “the genius from Kentucky, the country lawyer” and urging listeners to register their disapproval with McConnell because he “caved” on the debt ceiling.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

:lol:
raison de arizona

JFC! It's almost like he's a moron who doesn't understand what will happen if the debt ceiling isn't increased.

Wait a second- that's exactly what it is!

On the plus side...
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I love when evil consumes itself. Delicious.
raison de arizona

Passed, these are the eleven GOP:

Barrasso
Blunt
Capito
Collins
Cornyn
McConnell
Murkowski
Portman
Rounds
Shelby
Thune
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:04 pm Passed, these are the eleven GOP:

Barrasso
Blunt
Capito
Collins
Cornyn
McConnell
Murkowski
Portman
Rounds
Shelby
Thune
I'm lazy. Who isnt running next election? I know Portman isnt.
tek

Post by tek »

CRUZ: "In the game of chicken, Chuck Schumer won this game of chicken. As two trucks drove towards each other on a country road, one or the other was going to turn or you were going to have a lot of dead chickens. I wish Republicans hadn't blinked."
So now Cruz is into dead chickens?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Blunt is retiring.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:24 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:04 pm Passed, these are the eleven GOP:

Barrasso
Blunt
Capito
Collins
Cornyn
McConnell
Murkowski
Portman
Rounds
Shelby
Thune
McConnell was just re-elected in 2020, so he isn't up for election until 2026, if he doesn't decide to retire.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

POLITICO Playbook: Why McConnell backed down
McConnell took notice. Our friend Manu Raju at CNN reported, “McConnell told his colleagues he’s concerned about pressure on [JOE] MANCHIN and [KYRSTEN] SINEMA to gut [the] filibuster in order to raise [the] debt ceiling, I’m told. He pointed to this as reason why he is floating short-term increase in order to ease pressure on and push Democrats to use reconciliation.”

McConnell himself alluded to how filibuster reform was the key issue at play. “It’s not clear whether the Democratic leaders have wasted two-and-a-half months because they simply cannot govern, or whether they are intentionally playing Russian roulette with the economy to try to bully their own members into going back on their word and wrecking the Senate,” he said on the Senate floor. :fuckyou:

The minority leader seemed skittish enough about where filibuster reform fever was headed in the Democratic caucus that he vetted his compromise plan with Manchin and Sinema, report Burgess Everett, Marianne LeVine and Anthony Adragna. :snippity:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Are there many “off-year” elections?
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

VA guv is the only one I know of, but I've been wrong before.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well, if he is doing that he is betting that he will be in a better position after said elections with Republican victories... and in the current climate that's a losers bet.
Hic sunt dracones
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

noblepa wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:52 am
Patagoniagirl wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:24 pm

Barrasso
Blunt
Capito
Collins
Cornyn
McConnell
Murkowski
Portman
Rounds
Shelby
Thune
McConnell was just re-elected in 2020, so he isn't up for election until 2026, if he doesn't decide to retire.
I'm hoping for manufacturer recall before then. :twisted:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... id=DELLDHP
Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona may be in political trouble, according to a new poll from Data for Progress , a progressive research firm that advocates for liberal policies.

The poll found that 70% of potential Arizona Democratic primary voters - made up of both registered Democrats and independents - disapprove of the work Sinema is doing as a senator. The first-term lawmaker has refused to back the $3.5 trillion social spending bill essential to President Joe Biden's agenda for reasons that remain unclear.

Furthermore, the poll found Sinema losing overwhelmingly to four potential Democratic challengers, including Reps. Ruben Gallego and Greg Stanton, Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego, and Tucson Mayor Regina Romero. Sinema, who won the Senate seat in 2019, will face a Democratic primary in 2024 if she runs for re-election.

In head-to-head matchups with each candidate, Sinema hovers around 25% support among voters
I doubt she cares. She will land on her feet. :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Sinema has, um, interesting taste in clothes. Overall, I applaud the bold colors and patterns she favors. In the past she’s also died her hair purple. Once, green. Today it’s a weird apricot-ish orange.

But this outfit… :eek: She just looks frumpy.
4E7BCC08-7E99-4506-9D17-56BE6432161D.jpeg
4E7BCC08-7E99-4506-9D17-56BE6432161D.jpeg (33.03 KiB) Viewed 3306 times

Too, also, is it me or does she look like she’s recently gained weight? (Meow)
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:51 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... id=DELLDHP
Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona may be in political trouble, according to a new poll from Data for Progress , a progressive research firm that advocates for liberal policies.

The poll found that 70% of potential Arizona Democratic primary voters - made up of both registered Democrats and independents - disapprove of the work Sinema is doing as a senator. The first-term lawmaker has refused to back the $3.5 trillion social spending bill essential to President Joe Biden's agenda for reasons that remain unclear.

Furthermore, the poll found Sinema losing overwhelmingly to four potential Democratic challengers, including Reps. Ruben Gallego and Greg Stanton, Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego, and Tucson Mayor Regina Romero. Sinema, who won the Senate seat in 2019, will face a Democratic primary in 2024 if she runs for re-election.

In head-to-head matchups with each candidate, Sinema hovers around 25% support among voters
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:36 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:51 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... id=DELLDHP
That's interesting, and I'll keep that in mind, but although the numbers may not be as great, I have heard in general that her support is dropping from other places, too, but I don't have anything to back that up. You are certainly closer to it than I.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:54 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:36 pm

That's interesting, and I'll keep that in mind, but although the numbers may not be as great, I have heard in general that her support is dropping from other places, too, but I don't have anything to back that up. You are certainly closer to it than I.
No, I agree, her support is dropping hard. Just a grain of salt on the poll.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:17 pm Sinema has, um, interesting taste in clothes. Overall, I applaud the bold colors and patterns she favors. In the past she’s also died her hair purple. Once, green. Today it’s a weird apricot-ish orange.

But this outfit… :eek: She just looks frumpy.

4E7BCC08-7E99-4506-9D17-56BE6432161D.jpeg

Too, also, is it me or does she look like she’s recently gained weight? (Meow)
She's probably dressed better now. She's heading for Europe--to fund-raise. :evil:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/13/us/p ... urope.html

Return to “Economy”