Another weird, run-in ridiculous bs topic that no o e can search for and is rendered irrelevant but I think is Clever.

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Another weird, run-in ridiculous bs topic that no o e can search for and is rendered irrelevant but I think is Cleve

Post by Foggy »

What in the world makes you think that title would be difficult to search for?

Do an Advanced Search, search for the word rendered (or weird, or ridiculous, any of them will work ) and check the box that returns Topic titles only.

Now seriously, how hard was that? Only weird even returns more than one result!

I've read the complaints about long thread titles. I don't find them objectionable, and I give people here a lot of freedom, and that sometimes includes long thread titles.

I should make a video about search techniques. :think:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
p0rtia

Re: Another weird, run-in ridiculous bs topic that no o e can search for and is rendered irrelevant but I think is Cleve

Post by p0rtia »

I don't care for the lengthy titles either. Nothing to do with using the search function; it's just hard to identify what the threads are about when scanning the Active Topics list. Middle names and thread titles with several names tend to blur and bury the point of the thread.

Of course it's anyone's choice to make such thread titles, but I think it's useful to hear the push-back too, in the interests of democratic process.

:heart:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Well this is a nice thread to discuss how long a thread title should be. 8-)
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

We should be able to describe the contents of a thread in five words or less.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, boring. :lol:

My "Biden gonna stick your girlfriend" thread has 14 words in the title but it wouldn't be half as much fun with only five!

:banana:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I think this proves that even information is fractal.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:28 am Yeah, boring. :lol:

My "Biden gonna stick your girlfriend" thread has 14 words in the title but it wouldn't be half as much fun with only five!

:banana:
I thought “Biden’s going to poke your partner” had better shock value.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oops, that's 6 words! :fingerwag:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:39 am Oops, that's 6 words! :fingerwag:
Biden’s gonna poke your partner.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Shock value is good.

Long strings of nouns tend not to be (an informed opinion, having made a living as a substantive/content editor for 30 years).
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Antidisestablishmentarianism.

Also, these are pictures of a tree on my Families land. Everything is better in Ireland, even horticultural fractals.

DSCF1030.jpg
DSCF1030.jpg (312.01 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
DSCF1029.jpg
DSCF1029.jpg (322.45 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Here's the thing - I can't set the forum to limit the number of words in a title, the most I could do is limit the number of characters. The software used to allow that as a setting, but not anymore. I can't reduce the number of characters allowed in a post title. I will not make a rule about this, because y'all are grownups and this is something you should work out amongst yourselves. If I make a rule, then what? I get people reporting on each other and people appealing rulings because some topics need an extra word or two, and pretty soon I'm running the District Court of Bun-Dogs here! I didn't sign up to be a freakin' administrative judge!

And besides, there IS a limit on post length, and looky thar, Patagoniagirl done broked it! Because look at the title in all the posts following her original post. They're all missing the letter R in the word Clever. The title is too long. Problem solved!

:boxing:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Where am I how did I get here?
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I dislike the long, run on titles, but it's the typos that hurt my brain, and this one is full of them.
Image Image Image Image
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Suranis wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:47 am Antidisestablishmentarianism.

Also, these are pictures of a tree on my Families land. Everything is better in Ireland, even horticultural fractals.

DSCF1030.jpg

DSCF1029.jpg
Yes, but we Greeks invented fractals.

And maths.

And water pumps.

You're welcome.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, and it's not just that, citizens. Some thread titles aren't compliant with the Chicago Manual of Style, which will be rigorously unenforced, henceforth.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

The hills are alive with the sound of silence.

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I know Cleve. He’s an ass. He once told me at a Christmas party that he didn’t recognize me all dressed up. I usually looked like I was about to clean the bathroom*.

Dr Ken, I think we’ve fallen into the looking glass. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as horticultural fractals and now look! Two! Members! are fractalling horticulturally!

What’s that word, when you’ve just learned something and it blows your mind and then you see it everywhere, when you didn’t even know it existed before? Surely there’s a word for that.

* He may have had a point - new mom @ 46, working mom, menagerie manager ( 5 dogs, 4 cats, 6 chicken, 3 goats), on the Boards of Historical Museum and Old House Group. I didn’t have a lot of time for myself. But you don’t say that to someone out loud in front of 25 people unless you’re an utter ass.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Image Image Image Image
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:51 am What’s that word, when you’ve just learned something and it blows your mind and then you see it everywhere, when you didn’t even know it existed before? Surely there’s a word for that.
Epiphany
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Estiveo wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:58 am Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Sure, Jan. :nope:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”