Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

EU Lawsuits

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

EU Lawsuits

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.euractiv.com/section/agricu ... rt-ruling/
Champagne makers mark first win in ‘Champanillo’ legal battle after EU court ruling

The European Court of Justice (ECJ) has ruled that the EU’s protected designation of origin (PDO) for foodstuff and drinks extends to services, awarding the French champagne lobby a tactical win in a legal battle against a small Spanish restaurant chain.

When the French champagne lobby Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne took legal action against Champanillo, a Spanish tapas bar chain with five restaurants in the Catalonia region, the provincial court of Barcelona referred the issue to the European Court of Justice (ECJ), asking how to apply the EU’s PDO scheme on the ground.

The plaintiff argued that the term champanillo – which means ‘little champagne’ in Spanish – as well as the use of two champagne coupes in the restaurant’s logo, infringe the EU’s geographical protection granted to champagne in 1973.

On 9 September, the EU judges ruled that, in assessing the potential infringement of the geographical indications (GIs) framework, the Spanish Court must consider that the 2011 quality scheme regulation protecting PDOs applies not only to foodstuff but also to services, like restaurants in the present court case.

According to this regulation, registered names are protected not only against misuse or imitation but also evocation of the place in which products are made.
► Show Spoiler
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Re: EU Lawsuits

Post by keith »

Offs. Whaddabout Miller Hilife?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

keith wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:59 am Offs. Whaddabout Miller Hilife?
You can still call it piss-water. This ruling does not appear to impact that.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

northland10 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:35 pm
keith wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:59 am Offs. Whaddabout Miller Hilife?
You can still call it piss-water. This ruling does not appear to impact that.
I think it should be properly called PissWasser...they even have a commercial... :biggrin:

"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”