Post by John Thomas8 »

This YT channel is interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/@PartTimeExplorer/videos
RVInit

What are you watching?

Post by RVInit »

John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:44 pm This YT channel is interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/@PartTimeExplorer/videos
I love this channel, I have watched quite a few of his videos. They are very well researched and very interesting, I ran across his channel several months ago and subscribed.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Clairez

What are you watching?

Post by Clairez »

neonzx wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:01 pm Transatlantic on the Netflix. A recommend.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81556185

Mini-series -- 7 episodes.
In 1940, Varian Fry traveled to Marseille carrying three thousand dollars and a list of imperiled artists and writers he hoped to help escape within a few weeks. Instead, he stayed more than a year, working to procure false documents, amass emergency funds, and arrange journeys across Spain and Portugal, where the refugees would embark for safer ports. His many clients included Hannah Arendt, Max Ernst, Marcel Duchamp, and Marc Chagall, and the race against time to save them is a tale of forbidden love, high-stakes adventure, and unimaginable courage.
It is not a documentary, but a drama written around real events (with creative license).
Loved it!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Slim Cognito »

For my big day, we're watching Sleeper. Yeah I know, Woody Allen. But it's still one of the funniest movies ever made and stands the test of time.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

neonzx wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:56 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:06 pm :snippity: I’m a big Tim Roth fan (I’ve watched Lie to Me 4 times).
I was super-bummed when Lie to Me was canceled. Yeah, I love Tim Roth too.

Gonna have to have a peek at that Tin Star series.
Ok now, I am up into episode 5. This is a slow-burn series... which is why I avoid series like this-- too slow. It's why I gave up on Yellowstone. But I am going to be a trooper and see this one through.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Question: In the 60's who were The Wrecking Crew the backup band for?

Answer: Just about everybody. If you heard a hit song in the late 50's, throughout the 60's and into the 70's, there's a good chance you were listening to The Wrecking Crew. They were a loose collective of professional studio musicians that performed and produced much of the music we know from that period.

The Everly Brothers
Mamas and Papas
Sonny and Cher
The Beach Boys
Frank Sinatra
Nancy Sinatra
Dean Martin
... and many many more.

They were Phil Spector's Wall of Sound.

Available on Amazon streaming

neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

neonzx wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:31 am
neonzx wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:56 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:06 pm :snippity: I’m a big Tim Roth fan (I’ve watched Lie to Me 4 times).
I was super-bummed when Lie to Me was canceled. Yeah, I love Tim Roth too.

Gonna have to have a peek at that Tin Star series.
Ok now, I am up into episode 5. This is a slow-burn series... which is why I avoid series like this-- too slow. It's why I gave up on Yellowstone. But I am going to be a trooper and see this one through.
Alright, now the show officially has gotten way much better in the latter episodes so I can recommend it.
Volkonski
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Volkonski »

Watched the 1st 3 episodes of the 5th and last series of " The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" on Prime last night.

Not so marvelous but it had its moments. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:49 am Watched the 1st 3 episodes of the 5th and last series of " The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" on Prime last night.

Not so marvelous but it had its moments. ;)
I watched that too. It feels forced. Maybe I'm wanting too much.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Thanks for the Part-Time Explorer channel!

All Out History is also terrific, just found it. They have long documentaries and the production values are excellent. The archeologist in this loves the subject so much, it shows through as she goes through the life of a royal architect and his wife. They uncovered their untouched tomb in 1906, it was 3000+ years old and so much of what they were doing mirrors what's still happening today. Fascinating.

The Ordinary Life Of Ancient Egyptians | Life And Death In The Valley Of The Kings | All Out History
All Out History - Premium History Documentaries

Pharaohs, the sphynx and the pyramids. These are all iconic images of Ancient Egypt, but what about normal people? What were their lives and deaths like? If you're a history fan who loves binge-watching, this is the channel for you! From the pyramids of Ancient Egypt to the Trenches of WW1, we'll be publishing the best history documentary series for you to sink your teeth into.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
RVInit

What are you watching?

Post by RVInit »

Thanks for the heads up about the All Out History channel. I'm currently watching the episode you posted. I am amazed at the quality of programs that can be found on YouTube. There is plenty of drek to found on YouTube, but there are real gems as well.

On the Part Time Explorer channel there is a really cool video about the telegraph operators on the Titanic. I think this is the first video I saw on this channel and I watched some of the others and then subscribed because I enjoyed them so much.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

I'm excited we're watching the same thing, isn't she terrific? Her passion is infectious. Here's another, it's another binge with Joann Fletcher: Beyond Tutankhamun: The Complete History Of Ancient Egypt | Immortal Egypt | All Out History. I've never seen a better overview of all the dynasties, dark ages and zeniths of Egyptian history. Getting a lot of special permission and backstage passes, she really brings it to life. They even animate some of the hyroglyphics and cave images, it's really cool.

Joann Fletcher is an Egyptologist and an honorary visiting professor in the department of archaeology at the University of York. She has published a number of books and academic articles, including several on Cleopatra, and made numerous television and radio appearances. Wikipedia
The Last Signals will definitely be next, thank you!
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I loved the daily Egyptian lives. Question: Did the houses have walls and roofs? The answer is probably "yes", but, like the colors on and in the buildings, how do we know? :confuzzled:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:21 am Alright, now the show officially has gotten way much better in the latter episodes so I can recommend it.
You have a ways to go, but let us know what you think of the ending.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Flatpoint High »

Inside Job on Netflix. It's an animated series about "the deep state/reptilians and other conspiracy theories
for more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_Jo ... TV_series)
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:28 am
neonzx wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:21 am Alright, now the show officially has gotten way much better in the latter episodes so I can recommend it.
The end-end last episode? I wasn't sure what to really make of the Worth family jumping.
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:57 pm
bill_g wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:28 am
The end-end last episode? I wasn't sure what to really make of the Worth family jumping.
► Show Spoiler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

neonzx wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:57 pm The end-end last episode? I wasn't sure what to really make of the Worth family jumping.
I don't want to be bitchy, but you might want to edit your post and put that in a spoiler tag, with a not that it,spoils the ending. I was thinking of checking it out, but I wouldn't be able to get involved with the family's story since I know their fate. If you go ahead and edit it, at least other who come by later can avoid getting spoiled on it.
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:02 am
neonzx wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:57 pm The end-end last episode? I wasn't sure what to really make of the Worth family jumping.
I don't want to be bitchy, but you might want to edit your post and put that in a spoiler tag, with a not that it,spoils the ending. I was thinking of checking it out, but I wouldn't be able to get involved with the family's story since I know their fate. If you go ahead and edit it, at least other who come by later can avoid getting spoiled on it.
Eh, I didn't spoiler anything. Maybe they jumped off a train or a boat to escape capture.....

I guess you will have to watch and find out.
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:02 am I don't want to be bitchy, but you might want to edit your post and put that in a spoiler tag, with a not that it,spoils the ending. I was thinking of checking it out, but I wouldn't be able to get involved with the family's story since I know their fate. If you go ahead and edit it, at least other who come by later can avoid getting spoiled on it.
Definitely check it out Kris. It's a broken cop story with some outlandish situations. It has some good characters in it by some well known actors, and some fresh faces showing us they can tell a story too.
► Show Spoiler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Thanks, Bill! I'll think about it :)
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Another Netflix mini series. Florida Man (2023)

How could I resist a show called Florida Man??? :biggrin:

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81336864

It is 7 episodes
In Florida Man, created by Todd, when a struggling ex-cop (Ramírez) is forced to return to his home state of Florida to find a Philly mobster's runaway girlfriend, what should be a quick gig becomes a spiraling journey into buried family secrets and an increasingly futile attempt to do the right thing in a place where so much is wrong. The series is described as a wild odyssey into a sunny place for shady people in the spirit of Body Heat and Elmore Leonard's Out of Sight.
I just started with episode 1 tonight so I cannot give a full recommend yet.
John Thomas8

What are you watching?

Post by John Thomas8 »

bill_g wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:14 pm Question: In the 60's who were The Wrecking Crew the backup band for?

Answer: Just about everybody. If you heard a hit song in the late 50's, throughout the 60's and into the 70's, there's a good chance you were listening to The Wrecking Crew. They were a loose collective of professional studio musicians that performed and produced much of the music we know from that period.

The Everly Brothers
Mamas and Papas
Sonny and Cher
The Beach Boys
Frank Sinatra
Nancy Sinatra
Dean Martin
... and many many more.

They were Phil Spector's Wall of Sound.

Available on Amazon streaming

The number of people who actually played on radio music outside of formal bands is intensely small compared to the output produced. I keep bringing up Leland Sklar because he played with damn near everyone that didn't have a bass player in a band. Glenn Campbell got jammed into a "HeeHaw" niche, but the dude could flat out play guitar and compose on the fly better than most anyone else. The Wrecking Crew and the bunch around Muscle Shoals are the basis for 70% or more of American music since 1950.
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

John Thomas8 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:13 pm The number of people who actually played on radio music outside of formal bands is intensely small compared to the output produced. I keep bringing up Leland Sklar because he played with damn near everyone that didn't have a bass player in a band. Glenn Campbell got jammed into a "HeeHaw" niche, but the dude could flat out play guitar and compose on the fly better than most anyone else. The Wrecking Crew and the bunch around Muscle Shoals are the basis for 70% or more of American music since 1950.
Most people know about New York, LA, and Nashville, but not about Muscle Shoals AL. Barely a two hour drive south of Nashville, that quiet uncelebrated small town in northern Alabama made an oversized contribution to American music in all genres. It's an amazing story.
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

What are you watching?

Well, as of Sept 29 2023 not DVD's from Netflix. No more red envelopes in the mail. The medium that started it all is being cast aside for a streaming only business model. Citing reduced revenues over the last several years, Netflix announced it has decided it is time to discontinue the disc division. That is unfortunate. We've enjoyed getting titles unavailable elsewhere.

Ugh. Life marches on. What was once new is now old.

WaPo story on Netflix DVD by mail

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”