Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:13 am Hubby introduced me to "Doc Martin" on Hulu. Cornwall village doctor is Sherlock Holmes type who has no social skills and, like Holmes, can diagnose some cases by just looking at someone. It's fun. :biggrin:
Mrs and I loved the series years ago. He faints at the sight of blood, and he has a thing for Louiser. There are a lot of nuts in that village.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

bill_g wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:54 am
RVInit wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:24 pm The Power of the Dog on Netflix. Excellent. This is a Jane Campion movie. I loved it and highly recommend it. It moves kind of slowly, but it's really good.
Cumberbatch is able to pull off the cowboy role?
Yes! He plays the part beautifully. It's a really unique role for him in other ways, too. I don't want to give anything away, but he is superb in this role.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Also watched Unforgiveable with Sandra Bullock. That was also very good.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Posted this in Media Moves but with the questions about streaming services thought it would be helpful here too also. Put it in spoiler so it's optional, it's about CNN+ (which today Chris Wallace announced he's leaving Faux to join CNN+).
► Show Spoiler
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

RVInit wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:38 pm Also watched Unforgiveable with Sandra Bullock. That was also very good.
Four thumbs up from Mrs_G and me. We watched it over dinner together last night. It has elements of being another Sandra Bullock Social Activist Story, but it's not what you think it is. Worth the watch.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Fast Color (2018)

On Netflix streaming now.

Want a sci-fi movie that doesn't involve aliens and massive action scenes? Do you want something a bit more contemplative that takes a gentler path in story telling? Or maybe you just need some more Lorraine Toussaint in your viewing diet? If so, Fast Color is for you. There's no shoot-em-ups, or jump scares, or complicated conspiracies. It's just a story about some women living in the desert so everyone will leave them alone. The how-come-why is what the movie is about.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

We watched The Alpinist on Netflix. Well, my husband watched it. I often looked at my phone so I didn’t have to look at the images of a free climber hanging on to the side of a sheer cliff with nothing but his fingers and toes. Those parts were scary AF. But the scenery was spectacular.

It is a very well-done documentary about Marc-Andre LeClerc, a solo climber from the Canadian Rockies.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:shock:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
filly

Post by filly »

Thanks for posting the spoiler. I was going to look up CNN+ yesterday and you saved me the trouble. Doesn't seem like anything I would be remotely interested in.
orlylicious wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:14 pm Posted this in Media Moves but with the questions about streaming services thought it would be helpful here too also. Put it in spoiler so it's optional, it's about CNN+ (which today Chris Wallace announced he's leaving Faux to join CNN+).
► Show Spoiler
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:56 am We watched The Alpinist on Netflix. Well, my husband watched it. I often looked at my phone so I didn’t have to look at the images of a free climber hanging on to the side of a sheer cliff with nothing but his fingers and toes. Those parts were scary AF. But the scenery was spectacular.

It is a very well-done documentary about Marc-Andre LeClerc, a solo climber from the Canadian Rockies.
I watched that myself. A "dirtbag" climber. And it was exciting to see him scale those mountains. I have never done anything at his level, but I have climbed elevations like that on a much safer approach. It occurred to me that many of those images at close ups meaning the guy holding the camera was there with him. !!! (But he gets the credit, not the camera)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

"Landscapers" on HBO.

It's four parts, and two parts have aired so far. I love it, but I'm finding it hard to describe, so I'll go with this:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... on-the-run
Landscapers is a meditation on how many versions of reality there can be within one chain of events, on the impossibility of objectivity. The police go by bullets and trajectories and missing money to arrive at one truth. Susan goes by history, emotion, imagination and self-preservation to arrive at hers. Chris has her story and whatever else his blind devotion to Susan allows him to see. Where viewers land is up to them.

Landscapers doesn’t tie anything down. Even beyond the possibilities evoked, we sense further hinterlands, unknowns and unknowabilities. It is a rich, generous, clever, multi-textured thing, immaculately played by all the main actors, but awards for Colman, Thewlis and the script must surely be given. Consider it the first of your Christmas treats.
I watch anything I can find with Olivia Colman in it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

With our new free Paramount+ subscription (1 year free if you have T-Mobile or Sprint), we found a new fun show we've been watching a lot. It's a reality show called BAR RESCUE, it's on Spike TV. They've done 8 seasons, most recently in Vegas dealing with the pandemic. There are a ton of episodes, don't know how we never heard of it.

Season Episodes Originally aired
First aired Last aired
1 10 July 17, 2011 September 25, 2011
2 10 July 29, 2012 September 30, 2012
3 40 February 10, 2013 May 4, 2014
4 58 October 5, 2014 July 31, 2016
5 31 August 7, 2016 September 17, 2017
6 47 March 11, 2018 September 29, 2019
7 16 March 1, 2020 September 13, 2020
8 12 May 2, 2021 August 15, 2021

Bar Pro Jon Taffer takes struggling bars and rescues them ala Hotel Impossible. He brings a chef and drinks expert in for each episode. It gets into the business and science of bars, has lots of cool drink and food recipes on every show (they're easy, we've made some of the drinks), and the makeovers turn out really well in a lot of cases. There's a website to see what happened to the bars https://www.barrescueupdates.com/p/all- ... dates.html. Of course, most bars don't make it and Taffer can't solve staff and other issues after the rescue, but it's really fun to see the drama and the reveals of the new places at the end of the show.

Here's a playlist of some that are free on DailyMotion (quite a few of them are there): https://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x760ew

Here's a fun example episode, this place was called Characters Quarters and was awful, they had the staff dress up in costumes for no reason. Everybody was embarrassed. By the end, it's totally transformed. It's still going strong and they've opened another location with a plan to franchise it. Taffer plays mean at the top, these owners are failing and he has to break through and get them to pay attention and change their ways. It works.

And, in Foggy's honor, it's in North Carolina! :thumbsup:

(Don't worry, we're still watching our Hawaii Five 0 episodes, we're up to Season 11 but since there are only 12 seasons we've slowed down the watching so we have episodes to look forward to. My partner knows so much about Lani now that he leads our toast to her good health and happiness each episode we watch :bighug: )
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Yeah, Jon Taffer is an asshole.
Image Image Image Image
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

The Forty Year Old Version

On Netflix streaming. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but perhaps not for everyone's taste.

A black playwright reinvents herself, and you wince at every misstep she makes.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

My husband went to see "Don't Look Up" last night and said it was brilliant. Apparently, it really skewered the lack of respect for science too many people in our society hold. He tends not to like movies with political messages, but seems to have enjoyed this one quite a bit. It's in theaters now and will be on Netflix Dec 24.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Well, dang.

YouTube TV did not come to an agreement with Disney, so YouTube TV no longer carries local ABC stations, Disney stations, or ESPN. And a few other stations. I wonder what will happen. Yes, YTTV is dropping the price from $65 to $50, but there has to be some seriously pissed off viewers right now switching to the competitors.

Since I rarely watch ESPN or the Disney stations, that doesn't bother me too much. I'm more upset with losing the local ABC station. Fortunately, YTTV is just my backup for the local ABC station because, as long as the weather is good, ABC comes in fine over-the-air.

It'll be interesting to see if and how this gets resolved.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

bill_g wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:42 am
RVInit wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:38 pm Also watched Unforgiveable with Sandra Bullock. That was also very good.
Four thumbs up from Mrs_G and me. We watched it over dinner together last night. It has elements of being another Sandra Bullock Social Activist Story, but it's not what you think it is. Worth the watch.
I was thinking of it, but your recommendation pushed me. Thanks. I really enjoyed it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke

Post by Luke »

ETA on Bar Rescue: It's now a 24-hour channel on Pluto TV, Channel 293. Not surprised, Paramount owns the show. But it's a sign of how successful it is. There are like 200 episodes, tons to choose from and a lot of good info on cooking, drink recipes and how bars can be made successful.

Channel 159 is "Nosey TV", it's Jerry Springer & other shows like that. Springer is hilarous, Includes a courtroom show with Jeanine Pirro, had no idea she'd done that. It was from a long time ago, she seems sober.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I like game shows, especially when I'm internet surfing. They don't require the attention that a movie or TV drama does. Pluto's Classic The Price is Right is a good game show to have on in the background. Recently YouTube TV added Game Show Network and I discovered America Says. I find it very entertaining. When GSN had some other game show on this afternoon, I checked out what Pluto had to offer. They have a GSN channel which is currently showing America Says. So I'm watching that while writing this.

Edited to add: Jeopardy is an exception to game shows not requiring your full attention.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Oddly, in a way, I have been fixated on the SG-1 series which is on Netflix. It is old-school sci-fi. I didn't know it ran that many seasons.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:57 pm Well, dang.

YouTube TV did not come to an agreement with Disney, so YouTube TV no longer carries local ABC stations, Disney stations, or ESPN. And a few other stations. I wonder what will happen. Yes, YTTV is dropping the price from $65 to $50, but there has to be some seriously pissed off viewers right now switching to the competitors.

Since I rarely watch ESPN or the Disney stations, that doesn't bother me too much. I'm more upset with losing the local ABC station. Fortunately, YTTV is just my backup for the local ABC station because, as long as the weather is good, ABC comes in fine over-the-air.

It'll be interesting to see if and how this gets resolved.
Answer: Resolved in one day. No change in YouTube TV's price.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

The Bitch Who Stole Christmas on VH1. A hilarious parody of Hallmark movies starring RuPaul and a cast of drag queens.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

SuzieC wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:49 pm The Bitch Who Stole Christmas
Anything with a title like that must be worth a watch! :lol:
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

neonzx wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:01 pm
SuzieC wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:49 pm The Bitch Who Stole Christmas
Anything with a title like that must be worth a watch! :lol:
Neon even my not so-gay friendly husband found it hilarious and laughed his ass off!!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The Sound of Music :bighug:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”