What are you watching?

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

RVInit wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:15 pm The Chestnut Man series on Netflix. It's a Swedish (I think) series but the English dubbing is done by the same actors that played the parts in their native language and you don't have to read subtitles, you can concentrate on the action. It's a really slow burn kind of crime thriller. The crimes are a little gruesome, but not terribly overdone, it doesn't seem gratuitous and there are only two or three. When you find out whodunnit it's a real surprise. I think it's very well done and an interesting story.
It's Danish cuz they are in Copenhagen, but they can cross a bridge to Sweden. So, close enough.

This is creepy on the same order as HBO's True Detectives. Started it last night and will savor it the rest of the week. Thanks for the recommend.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Pro tip for watching Chestnut Man: Malmo, Sweden, is a popular vacation spot for Eastern Europeans, the Brits, Ireland, and others close by. There are several Swedish author mystery novels written in which Malmo is the primary city involved in the story.

My niece by marriage is a Bosnian immigrant. When I was telling her about the Swedish mysteries and Malmo, she told me she had just visited her Bosnian grandparents in Malmo where they vacation yearly. 🎶It's A Small World🎶
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

The Malmo bridge (called Øresund Bridge) is a huge feat of architecture connecting Copenhagen with Malmo Sweden. It's both above and below water. The funny thing is both countries hate it, they think it was a huge waste of money. Chestnut Man is Danish, recommended a few other Danish shows like it above (one stars the female lead in CM). My buddy's series "The Bridge" is about the Malmo Bridge... basically it's about what happens if somebody is killed on the bridge, does Sweden or Denmark get the case?

It's a gorgeous bridge.

We hung out in Malmo a lot, it's a small town. Every Summer they have a great music festival there, we'd take the train over (10 mins or something fast like that) and eat Moose Burgers in our fav restuarant in the town square and listen to the live bands. Danes and Swedes have a joking rivalry, our Danish friends would bitch and moan about having to go to Sweden. We were like shut up and eat your Moose Burger. :P
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

The original version of The Bridge (Danish Sweedish) was superb.
The British French version (The Tunnel) pales in comparison.
The American Mexican version, was total rubbish.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
filly

Post by filly »

bill_g wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:28 am
RVInit wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:15 pm The Chestnut Man series on Netflix. It's a Swedish (I think) series but the English dubbing is done by the same actors that played the parts in their native language and you don't have to read subtitles, you can concentrate on the action. It's a really slow burn kind of crime thriller. The crimes are a little gruesome, but not terribly overdone, it doesn't seem gratuitous and there are only two or three. When you find out whodunnit it's a real surprise. I think it's very well done and an interesting story.
It's Danish cuz they are in Copenhagen, but they can cross a bridge to Sweden. So, close enough.

This is creepy on the same order as HBO's True Detectives. Started it last night and will savor it the rest of the week. Thanks for the recommend.
I think it's better than any of the True Detectives, the only issue I had is keeping many of the names straight (or straighth as Ed Hale used to say).
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Cccoooollllll video, orly!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

keith wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:27 pm The original version of The Bridge (Danish Sweedish) was superb.
The British French version (The Tunnel) pales in comparison.
The American Mexican version, was total rubbish.
Happy to hear that Keith and I'll pass that along to my best buddy from Denmark who was the male star of the series. I'm so proud of him, he's like a brother. He and I agree with you, the original series was by far the best. They were licensing deals and the US Mexican version especially was really poorly done.

That bridge is amazing isn't it TRL? It was fun to be in Sweden so quickly, we had so many wonderful days there.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

So showtime is doing a series on the first ladies which stars viola Davis as Michelle obama, Michelle pfeiffer as Betty Ford, Gillian Anderson as Eleanor Roosevelt
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Orly, that bridge video is really cool! I enjoyed that.

I'm almost embarrassed to share what I'm watching this weekend, I' am checking out that amazing website I posted about in a different thread (not the one I'm embarrassed about :lol: ) and also watching again a series that I watched a long time ago. I think when I first saw it, it may have been on Netflix, but it's no longer there, but on Hulu for anyone who missed it on Netflix. This is why I'm almost embarrassed, might give the impression that allI watch are crime thrillers. I admit to having a special propensity to watch that, but I do also enjoy comedy, family drama, uplifting family movies, historical fiction, historical non-fiction and lots of other types. I seem mainly lately to be watching more of the crime thriller/drama.

The Killing, which features Mireille Enos in an amazing female lead role is a really great crime thriller, if you like that kind of thing and missed it on Netflix, try it this weekend on Hulu. I never saw the foreign series it's based on, so don't know how it compares, but this version is critically acclaimed and excellent. Mirelle Enos also played Marissa Weigler in the most recent incarnation of Hanna, which has been on Prime Video the last several seasons. She really shines in The Killing.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

RIP\
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

RVInit wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:15 pm The Killing, which features Mireille Enos in an amazing female lead role is a really great crime thriller, if you like that kind of thing and missed it on Netflix, try it this weekend on Hulu. I never saw the foreign series it's based on, so don't know how it compares, but this version is critically acclaimed and excellent. Mirelle Enos also played Marissa Weigler in the most recent incarnation of Hanna, which has been on Prime Video the last several seasons. She really shines in The Killing.
Great show. Loved the story. Love Mirelle Enos. She's the perfect tired damaged cop for this mystery.

But!
► Show Spoiler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

We watched the first 2 episodes of the 4th season of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel". Mrs. V. thought the first episode wasn't as good as earlier episodes in the series but the second episode met her expectations.

Lots of on location shots in Manhattan and early 1960's references which we remembered. :biggrin:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I caught The History Channel remembering for once that they are The HISTORY Channel with their first night of the 3 night Abraham Lincoln documentary. It is executive produced by Doris Kearns Goodwin (Team of Rivals; The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism; Leadership in Turbulent Times, etc.) with a whole bunch of narrators from different disciplines including Barack Obama. I will need to make sure to catch it the next two nights (they are also replaying last night's episode before the new one tonight).

One thing I was struck by was how they must have used Spielberg's "Lincoln" as the inspiration of some of their characterizations. While not Daniel Day-Lewis (who is), the actor did work to get the voice correct even has he had to make sure it was younger for much of the period. The actor who played Wiliams Seward sounded very close to David Strathairn (as did their Mary Todd sound like a young Sally Field. The President's Office and lighting looked very close to the movie one but that was more a matter of following the available pictures and descriptions of how it actually looked. It was less cluttered but the first term had just started.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Earlier in the day, they had started out with one on George Washington, and then one on Grant. I would have liked to have seen the one on Grant, but we had the grandkids here and were taking them home, so I really didn't get to see much of it at all. I did watch the firsr part of the Lincoln one last night, though, and will finish tonight.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke

Post by Luke »

Amazon has All In The Family thru IMDB TV (with ads but very few). It's incredible how Donald IS Archie Bunker. Both ignorant Queens NY bigots. Archie's excuse is it was 1971. Donald has no excuse.

Season 2 Episode 6:
6. Election Story, The
October 26 1971

A local election has the Bunker family in turmoil as Mike and Gloria are all for Claire Packer, a woman, which is exactly why Archie is dead set against her. However, once down at the voting booths, Archie soon realizes that he can't vote because he isn't registered, leaving it up to him to try to convince Edith to vote for his candidate of choice.
Even an appearance by the Gay Liberation Front. :P Here's the episode but with an important warning, it's way beyond racially and religiously insensitive. If you haven't seen the show and could be offended by bigoted portrayals, please don't watch it. Posting it because it's a window into another era of America that for the most part has thankfully been extinguished, but unfortunately, Donald has made the GOP think it's fine to go back to that shameful era. And amazing Rob Reiner is still around and fighting -- the reason the show works is the fighting between Archie, Mike & Gloria, and the absolute ignorance Archie shows (in this episode, at one point when Mike points out Gloria is voting for the first time, Archie says, oh yeah, she's voting for the first time. "And a little child shall lead them... whoever said that didn't know nothin."

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:42 pm Earlier in the day, they had started out with one on George Washington, and then one on Grant. I would have liked to have seen the one on Grant, but we had the grandkids here and were taking them home, so I really didn't get to see much of it at all. I did watch the firsr part of the Lincoln one last night, though, and will finish tonight.
Well, actually, I'm watching the "third half" now. :oopsy:

Ends tonight. I'm really enjoying this. It's very well done.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060036/

Who remembers The Time
Tunnel?
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

:dance:
Kendra wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:39 pm https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060036/

Who remembers The Time
Tunnel?
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

"Reacher" which I'd have given up on, but it has Malcolm Goodwin who saves the whole thing. Otherwise, Alan Ritchson is not quite Tom Cruise, although twice the size.

For cozy mysteries, "The Queens of Mystery" is back with a second season. It's all a little twee, but I liked it. One policewoman and her three aunts, four detectives in all, all trying to out Marple each other.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Who remembers The Time
Tunnel?
Yep, me.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Luke

Post by Luke »

PaulG wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:19 pm "Reacher" which I'd have given up on, but it has Malcolm Goodwin who saves the whole thing. Otherwise, Alan Ritchson is not quite Tom Cruise, although twice the size.

For cozy mysteries, "The Queens of Mystery" is back with a second season. It's all a little twee, but I liked it. One policewoman and her three aunts, four detectives in all, all trying to out Marple each other.
:dance: Alan Ritchson is my big boy! Don't get any ideas, claimed him a long time ago. :lol: Was a donor for Blue Mountain State the Movie. He's a Florida boy, his folks still live here, was at their place for a party for the movie. Here's my post about him from last June :P https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 128#p28128. Haven't gotten to Reacher yet, we have till the end of the month for ad-free Paramount+ and we're going through that like 1883.

Alan's come a long way from his American Idol audition (spoiler: I'm Paula Abdul in this video :lol: )

One more thing about All in the Family -- my partner found this, hadn't seen it. There were three versions of the pilot.
All In the Family’: An Unaired Pilot Featured Different Actors and an Unfamiliar Last Name
Bradley Geiser
Published onMay 1, 2021
Save for early TV show pioneers like I Love Lucy, it’s hard to pinpoint a more important sitcom than All in the Family.

The fictional Archie Bunker may have changed how creators wrote television characters decades later. Carroll O’Connor, Jean Stapleton, Sally Struthers, Sherman Hemsley, and Rob Reiner became entertainment royalty. However, when the pilot first premiered, the cast and characters looked slightly different. Pilot season is a staple of the television world. Up-and-comers and television veterans alike scramble together an episode with hopes that it sells. However, just because a pilot is a hit doesn’t mean it will be official. Thus was the case for Justice for All, a Norman Lear-directed pilot that eventually became All in the Family.

According to Vulture, not everything about the pilot was different. Despite lear’s interest in Hollywood superstar Mickey Rooney as the show’s lead, O’Connor and Stapleton stepped into the roles that helped define them. O’Connor won the role after Rooney declined. Every other character in the show was recast. Tim McIntire and Kelly Jean Peters played Richard and Gloria, and D’Urville Martin played Lionel Jefferson. However, while the pilot remained unseen by general audiences for many years, it boasted many staples that helped define its eventual form. Archie Justice went on long-winded rants about racism, anti-Semitism, sex, and food. ABC loved it, but it didn’t mean that they were quite ready.

According to Lear, ABC passed on the pilot due to chemistry issues between O’Connor, Stapleton, and the original actors who played their kids. They recast Rich and Gloria, calling on Candy Azzara and Chip Oliver to play the roles while Martin returned as Jefferson. ABC passed on this pilot, too, finding it too racy for their audience. Luckily for Lear, CBS was interested, too, and immediately picked up the show. However, once they worked out kinks, the Justice family became the Bunkers, Gloria and Rich were played by Struthers and Rob Reiner, and Sherman Hemsley came in as Lionel [sic, Hemsley was GEORGE. Kid writers :P ] Jefferson, the man who not only helped the Bunkers see things from a different angle but also spearheaded his own wildly successful spin-off.
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... name.html/

Vulture article: https://www.vulture.com/2015/01/the-man ... amily.html

Pilot 1: "Justice For All"
They even chyroned "Suggested for the Mature Audience"

Pilot 2: "Those Were The Days"

Here's Jean Stapleton discussing the three pilots:

And here's the 1st episode, Pilot 3 went to air:

(It's fun to see how the changes they made in the scene with the first time the two couples interact in the story. Sorry, as a TV guy I love this kind of stuff.)
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:01 am

Who remembers The Time
Tunnel?
Yep, me.
I remember being so bummed when the show ended after one season. I bought the download from Prime video a few years ago, and rewatching again now. Really fun bouncing through history.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Mrs and I finished "Inventing Anna" on Netflix last night. It was a bit of a slog since it's nine episodes, and Mrs can only sit up for about an hour at any one time. But we made it, and enjoyed it. Though we think Anna needed to be horse whipped, we agree with her lawyer.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

"The Protege" on amazon. Action-er with Samuel L. Jackson, Maggie Q, and Michael Keaton (for an average of 62. But they are spry). Jackson raises up Maggie Q to be an assasin like him, you can guess the rest. Pretty good fight scenes anyway. Also has Robert Patrick, but he's 63 so he doesn't budge the age average much.

Somebody here posted a video of "The Rainbow Connection" and I've humming it ever since, so I'm going to watch "the Muppet Movie" next. How the heck did they get all those actors to do cameos? Was it sort of a "big thing" among the A-lists to be in it?

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”