Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

Dave from down under

What are you watching?

Post by Dave from down under »

orlylicious wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:00 pm
Has anybody seen a History Channel show called ALONE?
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-seri ... -australia

Haven't watch more than the trailers - looks more interesting than any Survivor - except for that season of Survivor Australia when Tim the Yowie Man was busy dropping chocolates on them from a helicopter or Sneaking in and leaving care parcels...
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

I'm the last one that hasn't seen Survivor... but know about the format. There's no interaction in Alone, nobody is voted off or anything, it's raw survival. Some are forced to leave because their Body Mass Index (BMI) drops so low... some lose 25% or more of their body weight. They have a radio to tap out if they need to, they get extremely emotional toward the end when they must leave. Many of the contestants are survivalists, they run schools and workshops. I haven't seen anything like it.

Just discovered there's a Danish version, this is Episode 1 on YouTube (haven't watched). It must be beautiful. Skipping through it before posting, it'll give you an idea of how grueling and intense it is.

And come on Neon, after you texted me this preview you knew I'd be amped to see it :lol: :towel:

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.openculture.com/2023/03/ame ... -film.html
Amélie Was Really a KGB Spy: Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet Re-Edits His Beloved Film, Amélie, into a New Comedic Short

No French film of this century is more beloved than Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s Amélie. Or rather, no protagonist of a French film in this century is more beloved than Audrey Tautou’s eponymous Amélie. Hence, no doubt, why the movie is best known by that short version of its title rather than by the long version, Le fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain. Now, more than twenty years after the release of Le fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain, Jeunet has followed it up with La véritable histoire d’Amélie Poulain, which you can watch (with optional French or English subtitles) just above.

“After all this time,” Jeunet says in a brief introduction, “I felt the moment was right to tell you, at long last, the real story of Amélie Poulain.” She turns out, according to his voice-over narration that follows, not to be a simple Montmartre waitress who dedicates herself to surreptitiously enriching the lives of those around her.

In fact she works as a spy for the KGB, having first been recruited in childhood with the promise of candy bars. That may sound far-fetched, but Jeunet supports every detail of Amélie’s double life, and of the story of her re-entry into espionage after the fall of the Berlin Wall, using the very same scenes and involving the very same characters we remember from Amélie.

On one level, La véritable histoire d’Amélie Poulain testifies to the enduring playfulness that keeps Jeunet from taking his own work — even the work that became a global phenomenon — too seriously. (Indeed, that spirit is on display in the original movie’s exaggeration of whimsical-French-film tropes.) Much like the Hollywoodified Kubrick trailers we previously featured here on Open Culture, this new short also constitutes a demonstration of how the meaning and impact of cinema are created not by the images themselves, but rather by their context and juxtaposition. And so, with characteristic cleverness, Jeunet has reinvented Amélie as a Soviet agent by employing the principles of Soviet montage.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Dave from down under

What are you watching?

Just watched the 6 episode mini series “Vigil” on SBS on Demand
Well worth 3GB of streaming

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-series/vigil
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Watching Top Gun Maverick (available on Prime for free).

I am hanging my head in shame. But it's included. I have to relive this crap from 30 years ago? It was bad then but we have to redo?
Dave from down under

What are you watching?

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I just finished watching another skill based reality competition shows,dothis time featuring ...wait for it... Chainsaw carving! It was actually a lot of fun. The artwork the carvers created was phenomenal and some of the challenges they had were pretty funny. Actor Adam Beach hosted the show and did pretty good. He got a bit OTT at times, but was also amusing and touchingly sentimental. The contestants were all really good sports and there was no unnecessary drama. It's available on Discovery+
Slim Cognito
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Slim Cognito »

Why do we even Have that lever?
► Show Spoiler
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Danraft

What are you watching?

Post by Danraft »

There is a new Amazon Prime series, “The Power,” which only has three episodes. I’m thinking this one has legs and is a unique premise—light sci-fi scenario handled deftly.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:03 pm Watching Top Gun Maverick (available on Prime for free).

I am hanging my head in shame. But it's included. I have to relive this crap from 30 years ago? It was bad then but we have to redo?
Yeah. Maverick was definitely a Tom Cruise Make Work project. He must have needed an extension on his boat house or something. Entertaining, but! Nothing new. Maybe they should rename it MI-12.
► Show Spoiler
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:36 am
neonzx wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:03 pm Watching Top Gun Maverick (available on Prime for free).

Yeah. Maverick was definitely a Tom Cruise Make Work project. He must have needed an extension on his boat house or something. Entertaining, but! Nothing new. Maybe they should rename it MI-12.
He needed money to pay his dues to L. Ron Hubbard. (RIP)
That sh*t isn't cheap.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

What are you watching?

Post by RTH10260 »

UK

for the US and other places with a more prude outlook on life :cantlook: - NSFW???

Americans falling over with heart attacks ;)
Naked Education review – the look at pubic hair is wonderfully revelatory
Giggling, blushing teens! Unbridled nudity! It’s yet another Anna Richardson show about nakedness, but surprisingly, this one features genuine moments of wisdom

Jack Seale
Tue 4 Apr 2023 21.00 BST

Channel 4’s long-running but to-this-day terrifying dating show, Naked Attraction, must hold the record for the number of boobs, bellies and balls shown on British television. Its host Anna Richardson has always tried to steer the judging of strangers’ anatomies towards a message of positivity about our endlessly different shapes and sizes, with limited success – and now she has a new series, Naked Education, with which to atone. Again, the hook is unbridled nudity, but this time the focus is definitely on acceptance, myth-busting and affirmative shared experiences.

We’re in a light-factual magazine format, flipping between clearly labelled sections that recur reassuringly every week. “Teen Talk” gathers together a group of teenagers and asks for their views on a particular aspect of body image, before a gentle re-education takes place at the hands of co-presenters Yinka Bokinni and Dr Alex George. Their unconventional, unforgettable teaching aid? A lineup of fully naked adults.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... revelatory
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Transatlantic on the Netflix. A recommend.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81556185

Mini-series -- 7 episodes.
In 1940, Varian Fry traveled to Marseille carrying three thousand dollars and a list of imperiled artists and writers he hoped to help escape within a few weeks. Instead, he stayed more than a year, working to procure false documents, amass emergency funds, and arrange journeys across Spain and Portugal, where the refugees would embark for safer ports. His many clients included Hannah Arendt, Max Ernst, Marcel Duchamp, and Marc Chagall, and the race against time to save them is a tale of forbidden love, high-stakes adventure, and unimaginable courage.
It is not a documentary, but a drama written around real events (with creative license).
Phoenix520
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Phoenix520 »

Designing Women!!!

It’s on Prime. I adore these women. Starting with season 1, waiting for Hal Holbrook and Meshach Taylor to show up.
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:45 am Designing Women!!!

It’s on Prime. I adore these women. Starting with season 1, waiting for Hal Holbrook and Meshach Taylor to show up.
That show never worked for me. From that same exact time era, Ima still a Golden Girls fan.
(does that make me gay? :? )
Tiredretiredlawyer

What are you watching?

Designing Women never worked for me either. I liked Golden Girls but didn't watch regularly. When I finish reading Randy Rainbow's book, neonzx, maybe I can tell whether you're gay. 8-)
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Tin Star on Amazon.

Tim Roth stars as a unshakable bent alcoholic cop in Alberta Canada who is crafty, quick on the draw, deadly with his aim, and an absolute creator of chaos. It's a single story told in 26 parts over three seasons (10/10/6). Certainly not everyone's cuppa, and definitely adult material (smoking, drugs, sex, violence, criminal behavior, subject matter, et al). It almost makes Sons of Anarchy a family show by comparison. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.
Kendra

What are you watching?

Post by Kendra »

Oh. I recall a year or two ago we were talking about Greatest American Hero and season two not available on Prime Video. Color me shocked to go for a replay and there it is. Yay.
Phoenix520
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Phoenix520 »

Bill, I’m not a big fan of shows like Sons of Anarchy but I thought Tin Star was very well done. I’m a big Tim Roth fan (I’ve watched Lie to Me 4 times). All the other actors were good. Thé story was good too.
Phoenix520
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Phoenix520 »

Designing Women:
I loved the characters and the actors who brought them to life. Dixie Carter could light flames with those flinty eyes; Annie Potts, the sweet passive aggressive one, was Every Woman; and of course Jean Smart. Their outfits, looking back, were really costumes - OMG that 80s style is HIDEOUS now! High-waisted midi skirts with mid-thigh-length jackets :eek: but it’s definitely the characters for me.
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:06 pm :snippity: I’m a big Tim Roth fan (I’ve watched Lie to Me 4 times).
I was super-bummed when Lie to Me was canceled. Yeah, I love Tim Roth too.

Gonna have to have a peek at that Tin Star series.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

What are you watching?

Post by Frater I*I »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:26 pm Designing Women:
I loved the characters and the actors who brought them to life. Dixie Carter could light flames with those flinty eyes; Annie Potts, the sweet passive aggressive one, was Every Woman; and of course Jean Smart. Their outfits, looking back, were really costumes - OMG that 80s style is HIDEOUS now! High-waisted midi skirts with mid-thigh-length jackets :eek: but it’s definitely the characters for me.
What's the difference between Delta Burke and Delta Airlines.....

About 50 pounds...

I'll see myself out :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer

What are you watching?

Hubby found “Kingdom” on FreeVee. It stars Stephen Fry as Peter Kingdom, a small town solicitor. Well-written, it has the most beautiful opening sequence and the accompanying theme is angelic.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

Please do. :notlistening:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Volkonski »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:51 pm Hubby found “Kingdom” on FreeVee. It stars Stephen Fry as Peter Kingdom, a small town solicitor. Well-written, it has the most beautiful opening sequence and the accompanying theme is angelic.
Sadly "Kingdom" was canceled after 3 series with some plotlines unresolved. :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”