Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:24 pm We watched it when it first came out. I was aware of the specific case, and I thought it was well done. He deserves the Emmy nomination.
So, a friend and I have watched the first three episodes. During the 3rd episode opening credits, she jumps a bit and says "DID YOU SEE THAT?'' So I rewind it a bit.
Created by Dustin Lance Black
He wrote the screen play. All Cool. :thumbsup:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:40 am "Under the Banner of Heaven" on HULU is about the murder of a Mormon mother and child by members of a Mormon splinter group. I can't say more without lessening the enjoyment.

Sounds like a Zane Grey novel.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

keith wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:04 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:40 am "Under the Banner of Heaven" on HULU is about the murder of a Mormon mother and child by members of a Mormon splinter group. I can't say more without lessening the enjoyment.

Sounds like a Zane Grey novel.
Nope, based on true events. Not a novel. The book of the same name is by Jon Krakauer.

The mini-series is proving quite chilling.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

What are you watching?

Post by Maybenaut »

I read the book by Jon Krakauer - same guy who wrote Into The Wild and Into Thin Air.

Edit - ninja’d by everybody.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

I rarely binge watch, but I wasn't feeling well yesterday, so I watched "The Devil's Hour" on Prime. Six hours. If you like mystery plus supernatural, you will enjoy this. I usually have to do something else while watching anything on TV, but I had to pay close attention to this. The ending is not to be missed. It has been picked up for two more seasons, although I can't quite figure out how this will work with the same characters. Great acting. Peter Capaldi and Jessica Raines. The ending has been described as mind bending.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:14 pm I rarely binge watch, but I wasn't feeling well yesterday, so I watched "The Devil's Hour" on Prime. Six hours. If you like mystery plus supernatural, you will enjoy this. I usually have to do something else while watching anything on TV, but I had to pay close attention to this. The ending is not to be missed. It has been picked up for two more seasons, although I can't quite figure out how this will work with the same characters. Great acting. Peter Capaldi and Jessica Raines. The ending has been described as mind bending.
You are right. I got all of 15 minutes into E1 and had to back away because I am also a multi-tasker.

I will watch it though in the right frame of mind. It has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and 86% rating from regular viewers.

----

We did finish "Under the Banner of Heaven". Good watch. We are left hanging a bit because we don't know if Jeb went forth "bearing testimony" in the church, as his wife wanted.

Me, after everything he had seen, I'd pack up the family and GTFO. Creepy cult thing going on out there.
Jim

What are you watching?

Post by Jim »

Interesting factoid about Julia Roberts...

This Is Why Martin Luther King Jr. Paid for the Hospital Bill When Julia Roberts Was Born
The actress then confirmed that Dr. King and his wife, Coretta Scott King, paid for Roberts's mother's hospital bill when she gave birth to Roberts.

"My parents had a theater school in Atlanta called the Actors and Writers Workshop, and one day, Coretta Scott King called my mother and asked if her kids could be part of the school, 'cause they were having a hard time finding a place that would accept her kids. And my mom is like, 'Sure, come on over.' And so, they just all became friends, and they helped us out of a jam," Roberts explained.

In the 1960s, Gayle King noted, it was not common for Black and white children to interact or even attend the same schools—especially acting schools.

Paying for Betty Lou Bredemus and Walter Grady Roberts's hospital bill, then, was a way in which the Kings thanked them for their kindness.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:59 am

----

We did finish "Under the Banner of Heaven". Good watch. We are left hanging a bit because we don't know if Jeb went forth "bearing testimony" in the church, as his wife wanted.

Me, after everything he had seen, I'd pack up the family and GTFO. Creepy cult thing going on out there.
The sheriff was a fictional character, but I agree with you.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Phoenix520 »

IMHO Jon Krakauer is one of the best non-fiction writers out there.
Volkonski
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Volkonski »

"Wednesday" on Netflix.

The familiar Addams Family characters in an 8 episode miniseries centering on a 15 year-old Wednesday Addams.

After Wednesday gets in trouble at her high school her parents enroll her at the boarding school they themselves attended, Nevermore Academy in Vermont.

Typical weird school tropes borrowed from such movies as the Harry Potter series, Carrie, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Halloweentown High, Teen Wolf, etc.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

What are you watching?

Post by Kendra »

Season 3 I Dream of Jeannie. The gang goes to Oahu. Seeing Don Ho in last episode was fun, but more fun is when they visit the Royal Palace and Tony wishes for King Kamehameha (sp? too lazy to look). LOL. I can't even begin to describe the crazy.
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

I am kinda embarrassed to be offering this recommend...
But Firestarter (2022) available on Prime is a pretty good redux of Stephen King's novel. :bag:
keith

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

I've been watching the Science Fiction TV series "The Expanse" and reading the book Series it is based on after seeing it recommended here. I'll pause the TV series untill I catch up with the books. I've finished series 3, which appears to cover through book 2, but I've just finished book 2.

I remember trying the series when it first appeared but I just couldnt get into it. I'm glad I gave it another chance.

WHAT I'M NOT WATCHING: War Of The Worlds series 3.

I found the first series watchable, but the second series didn't catch me. YMMV, Ignore that it has NOTHING to do with H. G. Wellx story and enjoy it on its own terms.

But the 3rd series? Geeze, the trailers indicate that it has gone right off the rails.

Science Fiction depends on "suspension of disbelief", but a black hole 'appears' over the earth? And Earth continues to exist? And we just get random weird hallucinations? Puleeze.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:42 pm "Wednesday" on Netflix.

The familiar Addams Family characters in an 8 episode miniseries centering on a 15 year-old Wednesday Addams.

After Wednesday gets in trouble at her high school her parents enroll her at the boarding school they themselves attended, Nevermore Academy in Vermont.

Typical weird school tropes borrowed from such movies as the Harry Potter series, Carrie, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Halloweentown High, Teen Wolf, etc.
That was a fun romp. Enjoyed it. Easily digested.
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

keith wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:01 am I've been watching the Science Fiction TV series "The Expanse" and reading the book Series it is based on after seeing it recommended here. I'll pause the TV series untill I catch up with the books. I've finished series 3, which appears to cover through book 2, but I've just finished book 2.

I remember trying the series when it first appeared but I just couldnt get into it. I'm glad I gave it another chance.
(snip)
The Expanse is great. Someday I'll finish it if I ever get Apple TV. I'm one of the few not on the Bezo's train.
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Emily the Criminal on Netflix VOD now.

Excellent Hidden Gem / strong female lead. I loved it. One actor I recognized from Sons of Anarchy. Everyone else including the protagonist were new to me. Good story about someone screwed over and dropped into the Lost Cause bucket by Society. It questions what is illegal and who are criminals.
keith

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

bill_g wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:41 am
keith wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:01 am I've been watching the Science Fiction TV series "The Expanse" and reading the book Series it is based on after seeing it recommended here. I'll pause the TV series untill I catch up with the books. I've finished series 3, which appears to cover through book 2, but I've just finished book 2.

(snip)
The Expanse is great. Someday I'll finish it if I ever get Apple TV. I'm one of the few not on the Bezo's train.
Mistyped that. Series 3 appears to complete book 3 - but I haven't read book 3 yet.

But yeah, its great. Seems like they were hurrying to get to a resolution of sorts in series 3 because it seems a bit disjointed to me. It was cancelled after 3 by the original network (SyFy) then got picked up for 3 more by Amazon.
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

keith wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:38 am
Mistyped that. Series 3 appears to complete book 3 - but I haven't read book 3 yet.

But yeah, its great. Seems like they were hurrying to get to a resolution of sorts in series 3 because it seems a bit disjointed to me. It was cancelled after 3 by the original network (SyFy) then got picked up for 3 more by Amazon.
I shoulda caught that myself since I knew it had been purchased by Amazon. Doh!

I watched it on Syfy when it was fresh. Lived for each episode. Very dismayed when they cancelled the series before the story concluded. Crushed when Bezos snapped it up. Secretly hoped someone would Tor it someplace, but never went looking. Someday when it's very dated I'll get to see it, and wonder why it captured my attention like so many of my old favorites coming back around on Roku are doing now. Farscape for example.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

The third and final season of His Dark Materials has dropped, with little fanfare, on HBO this week. Two episodes at a time for four weeks. Lots of new characters. More complex.
bob

What are you watching?

Post by bob »

I binged "The Expanse" when I was waiting for the COVID to GTFO.

Enjoyable, yes. Fun, moody. The books (which I have not read) are supposed to be fairly science based. So the space battles are touted as being most "realistic," and not just basically WWII IN SPAAAAACE.

But, other than the battle scenes, there was too much hand-wave-away-the-science plot armor to say it really felt real to me.

And the acting. Such a weird mix of both great and cringe.
Image ImageImage
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

I liked how it it was a story that started off as a 30's gumshoe murder mystery with an underbelly of social stratifaction, inequity, and workers rights, and then slowly wrapped it's arms around a threatening space alien that defied their attempts to study. You could see the evolution of the story over each season. Having never read the books, I don't know if that was the natural course, or part of the translation to TV.
bob

What are you watching?

Post by bob »

From what I understand, the series is a decent adaptation of the books. Events skipped or condensed, minor characters combined, etc. The usual stuff for adaptions.

The plot is a bit convoluted, but ultimately works for its space-opera melodrama setting. It was a long walk to explain, for example, why the space gumshoe and space cowboy were on parallel paths to the same destination, but it was worth it.
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Slim Cognito »

I've been watching The Orville, a Star Trek clone, but good on its on merits. It tackles a lot of controversial subjects.

Occasionally, an Alliance council meets to talk about...stuff. There is a woman who sits on that counsel, never speaking as I recall, but she sure looks a lot like Nancy Pelosi. Since it's a Seth MacFarlane vehicle, I'm guessing that's intentional. Has anyone else noticed?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Ran across "Dr Jeykll and Mr Hyde" on Prime.

I do not know how I missed it when it was released (2008). Modern day adaption set in Boston. I watched part of it last evening and am going to finish the second half now. Very good, IMHO.

I like the little trivia feed. The movie was shot in 28 days. (that is amazing in itself)

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Jekyll-Hyde-P ... B01D9KI32E
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

Watched Alexandra Pelosi's documentary film on her mother last night. Nancy didn't even know it was being made. Everybody is so used to Alexandra always filming. HBO

:thumbsup:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”