Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:05 pm Midnight Mass on Netflix. :eek:
Limited series, the last episode is WILD. It has religion at its core, but come to find out what they believe isn’t what they think it is.
I'm going to give it the good ole college try. NetFlix is only putting it at 35% match for me, but their algorithms aren't perfect.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

If you liked that, look for other things by the same producer, Mike Flanagan. Several are on Netflix. Remakes of The Haunting of Hill House, The Haunting of Bly Manor, Dr. Sleep, others.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Limited series, the last episode is WILD. It has religion at its core, but come to find out what they believe isn’t what they think it is.

There are draggy sections and silly sections but overall I liked it. The last episode is just…unexpected. It turned the thing into an allegory for me.

I really like the lead actor, Hamish Linklater.
And DONE! (watched on x1.25 speed) Good rec 520... :like:
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

Yesterday I watched the first 4 episodes of "The First Lady" on Showtime. It is about Eleanor Roosevelt, Betty Ford, and Michelle Obama. Each episode features all 3 ladies in the same point of their lives (meeting husband, early married lives, becoming First Lady, etc.)

I had seen the PBS series on the Roosevelts but am learning a lot about Eleanor. Nothing much new (to me) about Michelle. But the Betty Ford segments are pretty illuminating; I never really thought much about her but she had an interesting life.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

"Lie to Me" on Hulu on-demand streaming. I think a 2009 series that got cut after 3 seasons. I'd seen some episodes when it was on broadcast TV but not the whole thing.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

There are draggy sections and silly sections but overall I liked it. The last episode is just…unexpected. It turned the thing into an allegory for me.

Holy Shittah! I was annoyed, charmed, disgusted, triggered, horrific and lost. I would recommend this. I did not like the freaky devil, blood-suckng angel? A little far out for my liking. But a really good series. Thanks for the nightmares.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Season 3 of Love Death and Robots is now available on Netflix.

I loved the last episode Jibaro, but who wouldn't love Conquistadors versus a water witch?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

neonzx wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:39 pm "Lie to Me" on Hulu on-demand streaming. I think a 2009 series that got cut after 3 seasons. I'd seen some episodes when it was on broadcast TV but not the whole thing.
I loved that show!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Perry Mason still. Here are the now famous actors on the show since my last report:

Leonard Nimoy!
Margaret O'Brien (the former child actress)
Max Showalter (16 Candles)
Another Star Trek actor who was in the same episode as Nimoy.
Lee Van Cleef!
Jackie Coogan (child actor and Uncle Fester on the first Addams Family TV series).

The show recycles several character actors. It's interesting to see them in different roles.

In the Season 6 episodes Perry's hair is shorter and brushed back. No Brylcreem was used starting with Episode 1. Women's hairstyles are now longer and looser, especially the younger women.

So far, there have been three Black actors- the first was an expert witness, the second I forget, but the last was a judge presiding over a murder case against a judge.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:40 pm
neonzx wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:39 pm "Lie to Me" on Hulu on-demand streaming. I think a 2009 series that got cut after 3 seasons. I'd seen some episodes when it was on broadcast TV but not the whole thing.
I loved that show!!!!
Me too! I went on a Tim Roth bender last year, watched the series (twice), then watched Tin Star. That was brutal, but well done.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Dug into it last night. Definitely churchy. Definitely lots of character developement in the first two episodes. Plays like a Stephen King or Dean Koontz book. Definitely a good recommend with a YMMV caveat.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Greatgrey wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:12 pm It’s been a wait, but tonight

Better Call Saul!
This season has been fantastic. I finally got around to watching S6E7 last night. You knew Howard was not going to make it but I never guessed Lolo would be the one. Now we have to wait until July.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

bill_g wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:07 am

Dug into it last night. Definitely churchy. Definitely lots of character developement in the first two episodes. Plays like a Stephen King or Dean Koontz book. Definitely a good recommend with a YMMV caveat.
I watched that when it first came out. It put me on the search for other things by Mike Flanagan, the producer. I have not been disappointed by any of them. He also produced "Dr. Sleep," which is Stephen King.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Series FINALE of "Bull" (CBS broadcast TV last night). Found it boring, ho-hum, and disappointing for such a great show. :yawn:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:42 pm
I watched that when it first came out. It put me on the search for other things by Mike Flanagan, the producer. I have not been disappointed by any of them. He also produced "Dr. Sleep," which is Stephen King.
So, I got through E4. I keep falling asleep, and have to catch up the following night, but that's not the show's fault. It's one of the reasons I like On-Demand and Netflix - I don't miss anything. I can give a show or a movie another go.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:35 am Series FINALE of "Bull" (CBS broadcast TV last night). Found it boring, ho-hum, and disappointing for such a great show. :yawn:
Well, maybe Dinozzo can come back to NCIS now.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:11 am
neonzx wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:35 am Series FINALE of "Bull" (CBS broadcast TV last night). Found it boring, ho-hum, and disappointing for such a great show. :yawn:
:talktothehand: The NCIS franchise is well past the expiration date.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:15 am
(gasp) :notlistening: :faint:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:20 am
neonzx wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:15 am

(gasp) :notlistening: :faint:
CSI suffered the same demise == they tried to milk it for every last drop of $$ until it was no more. So will be the fate of NCIS eventually (On March 31, 2022, NCIS was renewed for a 20th season. :faint: )
Tiredretiredlawyer

Perry Mason update. It is now 1964.

Big stars appearing on the show include:

George Kennedy - he did a fabulous job.

Ilya Kuryakin, I mean David McCallum, portrayed a French bookstore clerk. He was riveting. How does he do that?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:52 am Perry Mason update. It is now 1964.

Big stars appearing on the show include:

George Kennedy - he did a fabulous job.

Ilya Kuryakin, I mean David McCallum, portrayed a French bookstore clerk. He was riveting. How does he do that?
You mean Ducky.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Yes!
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

bill_g wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:10 am
AndyinPA wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:42 pm
So, I got through E4. I keep falling asleep, and have to catch up the following night, but that's not the show's fault. It's one of the reasons I like On-Demand and Netflix - I don't miss anything. I can give a show or a movie another go.
Oregon Sunshine dripped all yesterday making indoors the place to be. It gave me plenty of time to finish this. All I have to say is The Catholic Church will hate this, I loved Riley and Erin, I prolly woulda done what Pruitt did, and Bev can rest in Hell.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Pre-credits "Stranger Things" 4 (Netflix) :(
IMG_20220529_182013485_HDR(1).jpg
IMG_20220529_182013485_HDR(1).jpg (64.61 KiB) Viewed 524 times
This is where we are ... fictional supernatural shows have to post warnings now.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Binged the first three episodes of "The Time Traveler's Wife" series today. Episode 4 should hit my on-demand SkyGo app on Monday and will be devoured Monday night.

I enjoyed the movie version with Bana and McAdams, but this version is so much better it has me hooked and I legitimately tear up at least two or three times per 40-50 minute episode. I don't know how it's under 40 percent on Rotten Tomatoes but it has me. It completely has me.

Now, part of this is because of some particular trauma in my own life involving romantic relationships, abandonment, etc., and I get that these themes might not be everyone's cup of tea. But ... damn. Just .... damn. And I love the way the t.v. version confronts head on the accusations that their relationship is psychologically unhealthy by saying "Yeah, maybe, but consider instead that nobody has any fucking idea on how the rules apply in this completely unique and weird situation that looks superficially weird, but beneath is EVEN MORE WEIRD than you can possibly fucking imagine."
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”