Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

SuzieC
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by SuzieC »

Edit:
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:49 am Just watched Glass Onion on Netflix. It was GREAT!!!!! It was suspenseful, hilarious, and well-enough plotted that I saw only one twist before it was revealed, ND when the whole whodunit mystery was explained, it all made sense.

I have a question about Avatar and Avatar 2. I can't go see A2 in the theater obviously, so I can't see if it's answered there. Im putting this in a spoiler box since i me tion stuff pertinant to A2.
► Show Spoiler
I also just watched it. I enjoyed it, but I liked the first Knives Out better. In Glass Onion, I thought Daniel Craig was excellent. Fun that he is revealed to be gay and his partner or husband is a very big name with a cameo appearance. I also thought Janelle Monae was good. As far as I know, this is the biggest movie role she has ever had and she killed it. Kate Hudson got most of the attention pre-release but I thought her character was meaningless. She wore some gorgeous outfits though.
Mrich

What are you watching?

Post by Mrich »

... I also thought Janelle Monae was good. As far as I know, this is the biggest movie role she has ever had and she killed it.
I haven't seen the Glass Onion yet, but Janelle Monae's role in "Hidden Figures" was notable. One of my fave movies; I went to see it with a couple other female engineers and we were all crying at the end.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Mrich wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:54 pm
... I also thought Janelle Monae was good. As far as I know, this is the biggest movie role she has ever had and she killed it.
I haven't seen the Glass Onion yet, but Janelle Monae's role in "Hidden Figures" was notable. One of my fave movies; I went to see it with a couple other female engineers and we were all crying at the end.
I loved her (well, everyone, really) in Hidden Figures - great movie, I've watched it few times :) but I'd say she even better in this one!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

Royal Variety Performance.

As usual, I find the first couple of musical numbers underwhelming.

But then it picks up.

Acrobats were good. London production of Caberet is good. I don't know Nial Rogers but he was great.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

I really don't know why I can't listen to 'modern' pop.
keith

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

SWMBO has decided we need to watch I CLAVDIVS for fourth or fifth time.

It was a pain in the ass to get YouTube to work on the TV properly.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Continuing with the new Amazon Prime Video account. Finished The Expanse. It did not go where I imagined. Too bad it won't be continued. But, such is the lot of most TV I like. I have moved on to Bosch. Essentially another flawed cop show. It should keep me entertained through the New Year.
bob

What are you watching?

Post by bob »

I saw Babylon ... in a theater. :smoking:

Hoooboy. It is ... epic. The drug-fueled fever dreams are ... spectacles worthy of a big screen.
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Slim Cognito »

I loved Glass Onion.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

What are you watching?

Post by Ben-Prime »

I have noticed that with the surplus of options on both Amazon Prime and Netflix, I have managed to fight through the usual paralysis-of-choice by becoming *pickier*. I will watch the first 15-20 minutes of a movie, or the first episode of a show, and if it doesn't grab me, I move on.

The pain in the ass is then going back into my queue of partially watched items to delete them from the list so that a) I am not reminded to continue watching, and b) they are not used by the company algorithms to suggest something else.

But I endure. It's allowed me to discover that I have a pretty good 50-50 ratio with (for example) made-for-streaming Christmas movies. They are brain candy, mental floss if you will, and I keep them on as background noise while I clean because with only a few exceptions you don't really even have to watch them, just listen to the dialogue. Lindsay Lohan's recent 'Falling for Christmas' wws one example of the counter to that, but then I still believe that either LL or Amanda Bynes could have been the second coming of Lucille Ball had either of them not fallen at least temporarily to personal demons. Alas.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Mrich

What are you watching?

Post by Mrich »

HLN (CNN's Headline News) is playing a West Wing marathon through Sunday. All day and night with the exception of a few hours in the morning.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"New Tricks"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362357/
Three retired police officers are drafted in to solve cold cases, with a touch of comedy and drama
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Tricks
New Tricks is a British television police procedural comedy drama, created by Nigel McCrery and Roy Mitchell, produced primarily by Wall to Wall (until its final year, when it was handled by Headstrong Pictures), and broadcast on BBC One. The programme originally began with a pilot episode on 27 March 2003, before a full season was commissioned for 1 April 2004, with it concluding after twelve seasons on 6 October 2015.[2] The show utilises an ensemble cast, of which Dennis Waterman was the only constant over all twelve series; this cast variously included Alun Armstrong, James Bolam, Amanda Redman, Denis Lawson, Nicholas Lyndhurst, Tamzin Outhwaite, and Larry Lamb.

The original cast of New Tricks – Amanda Redman with (clockwise from left) Alun Armstrong, Dennis Waterman, and James Bolam
The series focuses on the work of the Unsolved Crime and Open Case Squad (UCOS) – a fictional division within London's Metropolitan Police Service tasked with re-investigating unsolved crimes. UCOS primarily functioned with a senior police detective overseeing the work of three retired police officers who would handle each case, and who could bring in police support when needed. Each episode focuses on a different investigation, with characters often coping with problems at their age but using their wisdom to overcome hurdles in the original investigation of cold cases. Both creators, McCrery and Mitchell, devised the title of the programme around the proverb "You can't teach an old dog new tricks".
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
keith

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:47 am "New Tricks"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362357/
Three retired police officers are drafted in to solve cold cases, with a touch of comedy and drama
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Tricks
New Tricks is a British television police procedural comedy drama, created by Nigel McCrery and Roy Mitchell, produced primarily by Wall to Wall (until its final year, when it was handled by Headstrong Pictures), and broadcast on BBC One. The programme originally began with a pilot episode on 27 March 2003, before a full season was commissioned for 1 April 2004, with it concluding after twelve seasons on 6 October 2015.[2] The show utilises an ensemble cast, of which Dennis Waterman was the only constant over all twelve series; this cast variously included Alun Armstrong, James Bolam, Amanda Redman, Denis Lawson, Nicholas Lyndhurst, Tamzin Outhwaite, and Larry Lamb.

The original cast of New Tricks – Amanda Redman with (clockwise from left) Alun Armstrong, Dennis Waterman, and James Bolam
The series focuses on the work of the Unsolved Crime and Open Case Squad (UCOS) – a fictional division within London's Metropolitan Police Service tasked with re-investigating unsolved crimes. UCOS primarily functioned with a senior police detective overseeing the work of three retired police officers who would handle each case, and who could bring in police support when needed. Each episode focuses on a different investigation, with characters often coping with problems at their age but using their wisdom to overcome hurdles in the original investigation of cold cases. Both creators, McCrery and Mitchell, devised the title of the programme around the proverb "You can't teach an old dog new tricks".
New Tricks is a lovely show.

As he did with the theme for Minder ("I Could Be So Good For You", reached number 3 in UK charts), Denis Waterman supplied the theme for "New Tricks".

He had a number of releases with varying degrees of success over the years, but not monsters.
much ado

What are you watching?

Post by much ado »

I am watching episode 319 (of 327) of Supernatural on Netflix. :bag:

Pretty soon I can move on to new things!
Phoenix520
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Phoenix520 »

We finally watched Glass Onion, though I fell asleep twice so I’ll want to watch it again. We glitched when trying to watch Knives Out first - CC on file expired the very day we tried to rent it - so next time we’ll watch in order.
Phoenix520
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Phoenix520 »

Dont get me started on Avatar 2. I want to live on Pandora, among those people. If tfg comes roaring back, maybe I will.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

We watched Glass Onion, and enjoyed it. I picked out a few inconsistencies, but still really enjoyed it. We had already watched the first one when it came out. There will be one more.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
SuzieC
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by SuzieC »

I watched The Menu on HBO Max. Ralph Fiennes stars and is great as a psycho chef who exacts revenge upon pretentious foodie culture.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

SuzieC wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:37 am I watched The Menu on HBO Max. Ralph Fiennes stars and is great as a psycho chef who exacts revenge upon pretentious foodie culture.
High on our list.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Season 2 of Vikings: Valhalla on Netflix is fun. But nothing compares to the original seasons of Vikings.

Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches is slower going than the Vampire series, but they've managed to condense hundreds of pages into a tight show. That took creativity and it works.

Finally, after years, watched the finale of the original Hawaii Five-0 and that completes all seasons. 60's Hawaii, from the cars to technology, is great fun to watch. The guest stars that went on to stardom are great. These old shows are so much more interesting than most of the junk on today.

Like this reality show on formerly The Learning Channel. Haven't seen it yet, has anybody?
Is Milf Manor the queasiest new dating show on TV?
Moms watch their sons flirt with other moms in strange reality competition series that feels like a 30 Rock joke made real
Wed 18 Jan 2023 11.50 EST

The reality show Milf Manor, which premiered on Sunday night, has already picked up more awards than some programs will ever enjoy. Various Twitter users have anointed it “the most disgusting show”, “the worst show”, and also “the darkest thing I have ever seen on television.” There’s no denying that the overlying concept is rather horrifying: eight mothers descend on a Mexican villa, all single and ready to mingle with an octet of twentysomething men – who happen to be their sons. The program’s oedipal twist emerges in the beginning of the first episode, a front-loaded affair that struggles to know what to do with itself once the vaguely incestuous and thoroughly cringey reveal is out of the way.
That’s right. Welcome to the bachelor pad where men aren’t ever expected to leave the nest. They can lounge around all day in their fleece pjs, and give mom a hug when the spirit moves them. It’s a Mommy and Me pajama party that comes with uniquely low stakes, but the queasy factor is through the roof. At least that’s the intention. In this production, mothers must watch their precious sons chat up older women. And the sons, in turn, are forced to watch their mothers bat their eyes at men who might not be old enough to rent a car. Finally, some might say, the tables are turned. The May-December romance story has been rewritten! Older women get their shot at dewy-fleshed paramours. But more of us might see through the hashtag feminism and identify Milf Manor as a gussied-up American tragedy.
Love is in the air, but it’s of the Freudian variety. Pola goes on a paddleboarding “mini date” with a young foot fetishist named Jimmy. They lie across their paddleboards and do stomach crunches as well as partner yoga, an activity that Pola says reminds her of raising her son. “I used to do this with Jose when he was younger,” she enthuses as she is seen holding her date aloft on her shins in an airplane pose. “I love to do that with kids. So this was really fun for me.” Pola’s passion only becomes visible when they are back on the land, and she spots her son Jose close-talking to Kelle, a peroxide blond who has an alter-ego called “Disco Mommy” (hopefully there will be more on this later?). For now, Kelle is a chipper vertex of the Mommy and Me love triangle that is packaged as the episode’s cliffhanger. Will Jose pair up with Kelle? Or does mama know best? I fear I won’t be learning the answer anytime soon. It’s hard to let go, yes. And this show is equally hard to watch. Milf Manor airs on TLC in the US with a UK date to be announced
'MERICA! :lol: (And no, the titular Mama June is not in it.)

Bonus: Putting aside the evil predator Bob Barker is/was (now he's 99), this clip with Adam Sandler is hilarious. Hadn't seen it before.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

Took The Menu off our list and watched it. Great fun. LOVED the ending.

Watched The Last of Us on HBO. I'm not a fan of zombie movies, although these are slightly different. I was really impressed with production values, acting, etc.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

What are you watching?

Post by Maybenaut »

I’ve been watching a lot of documentary series on Netflix.

My favorite so far is How To Fix a Drug Scandal.

The title is really stupid, but the content is sobering. It’s about two different chemists working in two different crime labs in Massachusetts, fiddling with drug test results in two different ways for two different reasons.

Also watched The Family about the control some evangelicals have over the Washington power structure. Featured Zach Wamp, a former Congressman from TN - lived down the street from me when I was a kid.

Currently watching Locke and Key - supernatural mind candy.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

The Family is creepy.

Locke & Key, lightweight fun.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Liked Locke & Key a lot, upthread I put some behind-the-scenes YouTube videos on the making of the show and the sets.

Outer Banks is a similarly fun and light show, Season 3 arrives on Netflix Feb 23.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
RVInit

What are you watching?

Post by RVInit »

This is an excellent documentary about an Orangutan jungle school. It is fantastic, about 45 minutes in length.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”