Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:22 pm I've been seeing promos for She Hulk who also works as an attorney and Iz confuzzled. Why do female superheroes need second jobs? Do they not get paid the same as the men?
She doesn't do law as a 2nd job - it's her passion.

The first episode was a LOT of fun. Some of the CGI is a bit *too* obvious, but not enough to affect my ability to enjoy the show. Tatiana Masley does a great job with the role. I'm really looking forward to seeing more :)
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bill_g wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:24 am (Neither are vampires or zombies - instant no-go on both counts)
Same here!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:04 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:22 pm I've been seeing promos for She Hulk who also works as an attorney and Iz confuzzled. Why do female superheroes need second jobs? Do they not get paid the same as the men?

The first episode was a LOT of fun. Some of the CGI is a bit *too* obvious, but not enough to affect my ability to enjoy the show. Tatiana Masley does a great job with the role. I'm really looking forward to seeing more :)
If you like Tatiana Masley, check out Orphan Black. She kills it in what had to be an exhausting role.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:26 am

If you like Tatiana Masley, check out Orphan Black. She kills it in what had to be an exhausting role.
Thanks, I'll do that!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

(I also remember, from decades ago, the Bionic Woman worked as a schoolteacher, but the Six Million Dollar Man only had the one gig and that's always bugged me.)

I know Superman was a mild mannered reporter, and there may be others. I'm not big into the DC or Marvel Universe but still......
Most male superhero characters had regular day jobs (a fav of mine was Daredevil, who was an attorney). Unless they were independently wealthy (ala Bruce Wayne, etc). they needed to work to pay rent.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

OMG, I loved that so much.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

She finally got an Emmy near the end of that show's run.
Lani

Post by Lani »

My tv didn't work for a few days, so I finally turned to netflex and fubo. Plus CNN & MSNBC live for free - which I mostly use. Awhile back, the spouse of a close friend interrupted our discussion (always about Trump) to tell me to watch Bridgerton. She said there was a gorgeous man & I needed to see him.

So months later, I began watching the show 2 days ago. Yep. Hot. About through the series... I'm losing interest of it. But I now have fubo & netflix to play with. And my cable tv is restored.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

If you want to watch the new HBO show House of the Dragon, it's on now at https://ustvgo.tv/hbo/ and will repeat at 10:10pm Eastern.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Phase Four of the MCU.

Have seen:

Black Widow
Shang-Chi
Eternals
No Way Home

Remaining:

Multiverse of Madness
Love and Thunder

... and more will be revealed. 8-)
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I just started "Wheel of Time" a couple days ago and will finish it either tonight or tomorrow most likely (I just have 2 eps to go.) Its quite good. I've read about 6 of the books, but gave up when I realized I'd skipped an entire book and didn't know it until I was over halfway through the next one. As big as those books are, I should hve noticed it MUCH sooner!

Part of what I'm liking about the show is that it's reminding me of all the stuff I loved about the books I did read while not feeling nearly as overstuffed as the books do. I can't really say how faithful to the books the show is because its been almost 15 years since I last read any of it, but nothing feels too out of place.

The cast is good, and extremely diverse. In some ways it feels like it's diverse just for the sake of diversity, but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. I certainly never imagined the characters looking like they do in the show, but I don't mind it either. It was just something that stood out.

Anyway, if you like fantasy served up epically, this is one I'd recommend.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Zone Blanche (translated as Black Spot :shrug: ), a French Noir series on Netflix. The title refers to the fact that there are dead zones all over in which electronics won’t work. Electricity is not reliable.

Villefranche is the name of a real place in France, but the Villefranche of this series is fictional. As you might expect, there’s a lot of intrigue in this tiny town within sight of a city - those who want to hang on to their power in a changing world, those who would stop them. The tiny Gendarmes force (4), a DA who is trying to refurbish his good name in the big city after a witness he had persuaded to testify against really bad guys was murdered in front of him, and the town’s citizens - all have ulterior motives. The forest is also a character; there are, briefly, Roman Legionnaires and Celts and, more frequently, Cernunnos the Celtic Stag god, who is terrifying.

It explicates itself very gradually. So far over two seasons and 8 episodes I’m not sure whodunnit (lots of death) or if Cernunnos is real or just vividly in the consciousness of the residents. Metaphysical confusion abounds.

It’s not like American series. Nothing is neatly wrapped up. Each episode is 1 hour long and lots happens. Pay attention!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I enjoyed that one.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

The Patient on Hulu. Fascinating. Steve Carell is a psychiatrist who meets clients in his home. One of the clients is a serial killer (unknown to Carell) who seeks help for his compulsion. Flashbacks show family problems in Carell's Jewish home. I thought I was going to binge, but only two episodes have been released!

Also, too, you can't crochet, knit or play video games while watching. You WILL miss something.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Ima big Bill Nye fan so I just started watching The End is Nye, theoretical end-of-life-on-earth disaster scenarios. Scary AF.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:20 pm The Patient on Hulu. Fascinating. Steve Carell is a psychiatrist who meets clients in his home. One of the clients is a serial killer (unknown to Carell) who seeks help for his compulsion. Flashbacks show family problems in Carell's Jewish home. I thought I was going to binge, but only two episodes have been released!

Also, too, you can't crochet, knit or play video games while watching. You WILL miss something.
On my list. Thanks for the heads-up on watching it.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I just started watching Mike on Hulu. It's a drama about Mike Tyson. Yes I know he's not a good guy. The actor sure has his voice down though.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I watched the first two episodes of The Patient. I like it so far. I may start searching for some other new things to watch this weekend. I appreciate all the suggestions, I will check out some of the things the rest of you are watching.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Watched the first two episodes of She-Hulk. Good acting, funny. I think I’ll like it. I’m a Mark Ruffalo fan, too also.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

You guys have convinced me. I'll add She Hulk to my watchlist.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I've seen the first two episodes of She-Hulk and I really enjoyed them too.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

If you're watching She-Hulk and haven't discovered this yet, there are mid-credit scenes that are worth catching. They come up right after they finish with all of the illustrated credits before they go to a scroll.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

She-Hulk is only on Disney+, amirite?

Asking for a friend wife.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:48 pm She-Hulk is only on Disney+, amirite?

Asking for a friend wife.
Yes. Tell her she'll have a lot of fun with it, though!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yabbut, we don't have Disney+.

Sad trombone. :sadtrombone:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”