What are you watching?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Dammit! I just lost my detailed review of Bloodline Detectives! Like Host Nancy Grace or not, you learn a LOT about DNA profiling history and up to date techniques. DNA experts and technology developers are interviewed as relates to each case and how it was solved be it identifying a perp or a victim. Watching the cold cases from the 50's through the DNA development shows why there are so many wrongly convicted innocents.

It is used now to prevent crimes such as in serial killers and serial rapists. I'd love to hear from our science peeps about this. I might even start a thread regarding cases in some of the episodes.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Rolodex

What are you watching?

Post by Rolodex »

That sounds really interesting! Do they go into the problems with DNA also? We think it's the gold standard, but there are deviations every once in a while.

Once a woman was accused of welfare fraud. The government said she was trying to collect benefits for kids that weren't hers. It was a surprise to me, but they required DNA matches for benefits for this very reason (this was in Oregon, I think). Her DNA and the kids' didn't match, so they denied benefits and charged her. She was pregnant at the time and a worker was with her at the hospital, watched her give birth and then checked the DNAs - again, no match. they thought she was running a surrogate scam but she denied it. Long story short, it turns out she's a so-called "chimera," where her DNA won't match her parent or her offspring. They think it's caused by a failed twin getting resorbed in utero into the surviving child. They were able to match her DNA after they took samples from different part of her body and one finally matched (in her case, it was thyroid tissue). Weird!

Then there's the issue of "touch" DNA. Again, unlikely but possible...I shake hands with you, you open a door and my DNA shows up on the doorknob, even though I've never been to that place.

It's a really interesting topic and I'll look for that show!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
sugar magnolia

What are you watching?

Post by sugar magnolia »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:27 am It is used now to prevent crimes such as in serial killers and serial rapists. I'd love to hear from our science peeps about this. I might even start a thread regarding cases in some of the episodes.
How is it used to prevent crimes?
MN-Skeptic

What are you watching?

Post by MN-Skeptic »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:05 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:27 am It is used now to prevent crimes such as in serial killers and serial rapists. I'd love to hear from our science peeps about this. I might even start a thread regarding cases in some of the episodes.
My WAG is that if you're taking about serial killers and serial rapists, DNA identification can lead to faster apprehension and so, therefore, the prevention of further crimes by these evil people. Just my guess as to what's being said.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:yeahthat:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
John Thomas8

What are you watching?

Post by John Thomas8 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:11 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:05 pm
My WAG is that if you're taking about serial killers and serial rapists, DNA identification can lead to faster apprehension and so, therefore, the prevention of further crimes by these evil people. Just my guess as to what's being said.
That's what I get from hours upon hours of listening to the Casual Criminalist. Except that one time in Germany where 40+ crimes all had the same DNA associated with them but, the DNA came from the kit manufacturer that lacked quality control and one worker's DNA showed up across all those different cases.
Volkonski
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Volkonski »

Soon-

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Netflix - The After is a precious short film from London starring David Oyelowo. I can say it will be difficult for recently widowed people to digest, but it might be the best thing you've seen this year.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

This is March, Oscar month. TCM has Oscar-award winning films all month. I just watched The Lost Weekend. I am looking for The Third Man, but going ahead about ten days, it doesn't show up yet. But lots of other things I'd love to watch again do.

Edited to add:

Oops! It started February 9, ends on the tenth of March. Missed most of it again. :bag: It's far from the worst mistake I've ever made.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:52 am Netflix - The After is a precious short film from London starring David Oyelowo. I can say it will be difficult for recently widowed people to digest, but it might be the best thing you've seen this year.
Thank you for the recommend. 18 minutes including credits.

The final act confused me for a brief moment as I wasn't sure what was happening for a few seconds.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:07 pm This is March, Oscar month. TCM has Oscar-award winning films all month. I just watched The Lost Weekend. I am looking for The Third Man, but going ahead about ten days, it doesn't show up yet. But lots of other things I'd love to watch again do.

Edited to add:

Oops! It started February 9, ends on the tenth of March. Missed most of it again. :bag: It's far from the worst mistake I've ever made.
The Third Man is on Tubi, I watched it last week. The Ghostery free extension on a desktop browser wipes the commercials out. Tubi has a huge library of classic films, really enjoy it.

https://tubitv.com/movies/100011944/the-third-man
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
p0rtia

What are you watching?

Post by p0rtia »

qbawl wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:52 pm Season 4 of "For All Mankind"!
Just finished it. What did you think? My own feelings are not intense; stuff I like, stuff I ff'ed through.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

Luke wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:10 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:07 pm This is March, Oscar month. TCM has Oscar-award winning films all month. I just watched The Lost Weekend. I am looking for The Third Man, but going ahead about ten days, it doesn't show up yet. But lots of other things I'd love to watch again do.

Edited to add:

The Third Man is on Tubi, I watched it last week. The Ghostery free extension on a desktop browser wipes the commercials out. Tubi has a huge library of classic films, really enjoy it.

Thank you! When I looked it up, it didn't look like it had any Oscar nominations, so maybe wouldn't have been on, anyway.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Here's a link to the free Ghostery extension: https://www.ghostery.com/

For movies, it's also good to check DailyMotion.com and Vimeo.com. Kanopy.com and Hoopla (through public libraries). Internet Archive also has some old classic movies. Watching Murder by Contract on Tubi, they have a lot of Hitchcock and black and white film noir films.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
qbawl

What are you watching?

Post by qbawl »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:27 pm
Just finished it. What did you think? My own feelings are not intense; stuff I like, stuff I ff'ed through.
I felt it was the weakest of the 4 seasons so far I still enjoyed it though. I am a fan of alternative histories and the nature of the early true alternative stuff means the more current fictions lack a certain hook that really appealed to me in the early seasons. I now see it as more of a science fiction / drama genre. Also the required aging of the core characters becomes problematic at a point. I have read a 5th season is in the works (in the can?) but can't find a confirmation. Original plans I understand were for 7 seasons.

Another thought on the characters. The original core characters and their actors/portrayals IMHO were outstanding. The inevitable deaths by many means requires the staggered introduction piecemeal of the characters that are advancing the story which makes it difficult for me at least to buy into them as much as I did the original core.

But yeah, I still loved it. YMMV!
Dr. Ken

What are you watching?

Post by Dr. Ken »

The new shogun on FX is pretty good. I remember watching the original from the 80s.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Rolodex

What are you watching?

Post by Rolodex »

Luke wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:01 pm Here's a link to the free Ghostery extension: https://www.ghostery.com/

For movies, it's also good to check DailyMotion.com and Vimeo.com. Kanopy.com and Hoopla (through public libraries). Internet Archive also has some old classic movies. Watching Murder by Contract on Tubi, they have a lot of Hitchcock and black and white film noir films.
You and I need to settle in to watch the old B&W's together! Saturday and Sunday afternoons are the times I put aside for those. I have seen some really good movies, but sometimes I want to watch old faves like All About Eve or Mildred Pierce. I saw a great prison break movie this weekend - Brute Force (Burt Lancaster as a prisoner and Hume Cronyn excellent as a super sleazy guard) and also Marty for the umpteeth time.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

What are you watching?

Post by northland10 »

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:17 pm The new shogun on FX is pretty good. I remember watching the original from the 80s.
I was sitting through the previews before Dune Part 2 when I saw the preview for this. I actually asked myself, are they doing a remake of Shogun? My question was soon answered.

I may have been 11 or 12 on the first one, but it must have made enough of an impression that I remembered it (and yes, I do).
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

What are you watching?

Post by pipistrelle »

Rolodex wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:51 pm
Luke wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:01 pm Here's a link to the free Ghostery extension: https://www.ghostery.com/

You and I need to settle in to watch the old B&W's together! Saturday and Sunday afternoons are the times I put aside for those. I have seen some really good movies, but sometimes I want to watch old faves like All About Eve or Mildred Pierce. I saw a great prison break movie this weekend - Brute Force (Burt Lancaster as a prisoner and Hume Cronyn excellent as a super sleazy guard) and also Marty for the umpteeth time.
I've recommended some weird ones like The Black Cat and Carnival of Souls, but a film noir with a weird vibe is The Strange Love of Martha Ivers--am assuming you've seen it.
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

northland10 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:32 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:17 pm The new shogun on FX is pretty good. I remember watching the original from the 80s.
I was sitting through the previews before Dune Part 2 when I saw the preview for this. I actually asked myself, are they doing a remake of Shogun? My question was soon answered.

I may have been 11 or 12 on the first one, but it must have made enough of an impression that I remembered it (and yes, I do).
That's my brother! Hiroyuki and I have been together since we were 20, I helped him practice his English when he did King Lear in London with Nigel Hawthorne (he received an OBE for it). I was with him on the set of The Last Samurai. he was known as the Tom Cruise of Japan and he read so similarly to Tom that they made him the bad guy and had Ken Watanabe, a Japanese TV star, in Hiro's original role.

Clearly, that's all makeup on Hiro because we are not that old! :lol:

Great idea, Rolodex! If others want to join in that would be lots of fun.
Rolodex

What are you watching?

Post by Rolodex »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:13 pm
I've recommended some weird ones like The Black Cat and Carnival of Souls, but a film noir with a weird vibe is The Strange Love of Martha Ivers--am assuming you've seen it.
I'm not so much into the old horrors (although I have seen Carnival of Souls), but love noir! And yes, I've seen the Strange Love of Martha Ivers several times and I love it. I grew up watching The Big Valley and that's all I really of Barbara Stanwyk, but hoo boy...in her prime she was in some incredible movies and what a fantastic actress! Her old movies have made me a big fan! Meet John Doe, Double Indemnity, Christmas in Connecticut, and of course Stella Dallas. Whew!
p0rtia

What are you watching?

Post by p0rtia »

qbawl wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:06 pm
p0rtia wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:27 pm
I felt it was the weakest of the 4 seasons so far I still enjoyed it though. I am a fan of alternative histories and the nature of the early true alternative stuff means the more current fictions lack a certain hook that really appealed to me in the early seasons. I now see it as more of a science fiction / drama genre. Also the required aging of the core characters becomes problematic at a point. I have read a 5th season is in the works (in the can?) but can't find a confirmation. Original plans I understand were for 7 seasons.

Another thought on the characters. The original core characters and their actors/portrayals IMHO were outstanding. The inevitable deaths by many means requires the staggered introduction piecemeal of the characters that are advancing the story which makes it difficult for me at least to buy into them as much as I did the original core.

But yeah, I still loved it. YMMV!
I too thought this was the weakest of the four seasons. I think your point about the absence of the alternative feel is a good one, which I hadn't thought of. Other than setting up a contemporary world where it's the norm to have women in leadership roles, and a few political cameos, the fun was over. The aging issues were a distraction for me too. All those short actors playing characters now in, what--their thirties?--bumped me out of the story every time.

I thought the main story arc in the third season was great, though I felt let down by the slimness of the conspiracy theory plot-line (and it's most obvious consequence--so uncalled for, IMO). Never got into the new characters in the fourth season.

What interested me a lot was the presence of the Star Trek people on the production side. I got whiplash from the theme song in Season One (I only recently started watching). It was like the second movement of the theme to Discovery. I appreciated the desire to show how insane/unpleasant the people who take such huge risks are. But I missed the complex characterizations and consequences--which didn't work for me till Season 3.

The big, A+++++ for me was the visuals. Wow and boy howdy. I could not take my eyes from the screen when they were in space/on the Moon/Mars. Loved that sooo much!
qbawl

What are you watching?

Post by qbawl »

The big, A+++++ for me was the visuals. Wow and boy howdy. I could not take my eyes from the screen when they were in space/on the Moon/Mars. Loved that sooo much!
Yes, the visuals!

The part that really hooked me was that first hour of S1,E1. I remember watching the moon landing broadcast (though the peeps I thought I watched it with have convinced me some memories are flawed) back in '69 with a few brews and a sense of pride.

The shows portrayal of those events was so real that at one point I found myself asking in my head "why are all these folks so sad and quiet‽" A show that generates such a 'suspension of disbelief' so spontaneously has a lot going for it.
Reddog

What are you watching?

Post by Reddog »

:snippity:

Thanks Luke, I cut cable a few years ago. I miss TCM but I’ve been content with an antenna, and a couple of streaming services. I hadn’t checked out Tubi.
There is a lot of good content on there!
I just started watching George Carlin from 1998. I’m starting to think he really is a time traveler. I also noticed that, (regarding film noir), that “The Big Sleep” is available. I plan to watch again to see if I can figure out the plot.
Rolodex

What are you watching?

Post by Rolodex »

Reddog wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:05 pm :snippity:

Thanks Luke, I cut cable a few years ago. I miss TCM but I’ve been content with an antenna, and a couple of streaming services. I hadn’t checked out Tubi.
There is a lot of good content on there!
I just started watching George Carlin from 1998. I’m starting to think he really is a time traveler. I also noticed that, (regarding film noir), that “The Big Sleep” is available. I plan to watch again to see if I can figure out the plot.
I love TCM

If you have HBO/Max, TCM is under Brand Highlights.
If you have Hulu, it's in hubs (look under A-Z or view all or something like that), I think. If you have Hulu live, then you could get TCM "live," but otherwise it's on demand.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”