Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Season 41 of Survivor is now on CBS.
► Show Spoiler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:50 am Season 41 of Survivor is now on CBS.
► Show Spoiler
Season 41? It hasn't been going on that long haz it?? The Simpsons have not run that long(yet).
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:59 am
► Show Spoiler
Season 41? It hasn't been going on that long haz it?? The Simpsons have not run that long(yet).
Yep. 41 seasons of Jeff saying "come on in guys".
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:32 am
neonzx wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:59 am
► Show Spoiler
Yep. 41 seasons of Jeff saying "come on in guys".
Are they measuring in half years. This garbage show debuted in 2000.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Yes, two seasons per year.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
filly

Post by filly »

I spent good parts of the last month watching the Robert Durst trial on Youtube. The prosecutor, John Lewin has an unconventional approach to cross-examination. He tangled with nearly every witness. He had Durst on the stand for 9 days. As wily as Durst is Lewin had him admit that he had perjured himself at least 5 times during the trial! There was much criticism of Lewin but he gets his convictions. And at 80, Dick DeGuerin needs to retreat to the various ranches he's had his clients turn over to him throughout the years. Fini./
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Good for Lewin! Durst is slippery, I thought he’d never get convicted.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Sort of binge-watched "Midnight Mass" on Netflix. Horror, exploring religion, afterlife, sin, grief, redemption, and addiction. There are some long monologues, which I enjoyed, but it might be preachy for some. Although there were hints, I wasn't sure where it was going after the first three (out of seven) episodes. I'm glad I stayed with it. If I'd known what form the evil came in, I might not have watched as it's not one of my favorite horror genres, but I won't say what it was.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Watched first two episodes of FOUNDATIONS it shows promise.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I'm simple. PLUTO TV (free app) has been showing every single episode of The Andy Griffith Show. It's a soothing salve for what ails me.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I have been watching Court TV's Primetime shows about current trials. On the weekend, "Judgment" with Ashleigh Banfield covers past state court trials. I have learned that people really do some stupid stuff and their friends help them sometimes. :eek:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

► Show Spoiler
It’s a guilty pleasure. What I’d really like to see, though, is for them to go old school. No hidden immunity, no advantages. You perform in challenges and around camp and play the social game.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:53 pm Sort of binge-watched "Midnight Mass" on Netflix. vorite horror genres, but I won't say what it was.
I tried to get into it, but it' wasnt working. I quit.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:34 am It’s a guilty pleasure. What I’d really like to see, though, is for them to go old school. No hidden immunity, no advantages. You perform in challenges and around camp and play the social game.
You and Mrs would get along famously.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:39 am
AndyinPA wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:53 pm Sort of binge-watched "Midnight Mass" on Netflix. vorite horror genres, but I won't say what it was.
I tried to get into it, but it' wasnt working. I quit.
It did take a while. I actually wondered if I should go on at the end of the third episode, but curiosity got to me. I won't suggest you try again because I wouldn't do that, but I was glad I stayed with it. Flanagan has directed, produced other things I liked, "The Haunting of Hill House," "The Haunting of Bly Manor," "Doctor Sleep," and a few others. I'm going to catch "Gerald's Game" and "Hush" soon.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:lol: I stopped by a friend’s house today to say hi to her parents, who are in town. Her mom just turned 90; dad is 92. My friend’s sister was watching Longmire with her dad in the other room. Pretty soon we heard her hoot and say “ooo lala” and her dad said “Oh, my”. We had to go see.

I must have missed this episode first time around. I would have remembered. Lisa rewound to the beginning of the scene, in which a man runs out of a shower naked and then dithers back and forth with his bum fully exposed. There is full-frontal, but with a hand fig leaf.

“OMG it’s JIM” my friend and I exclaimed at the same time.
Dad looked at her, eyes wide.
“You know him?‘

Jim “Martha Stewart”MacDonald, character actor, playwright, dad to Aggie and Drake, interior decorator divine. Yeah, we know him. He’s one of the dads! You’ve seen him in CSI, all the crime dramas, The Telephone Booth, lots more. He introduced me to Vedanta.

I love living in LA. :P
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Kate, what a great story. Too small a world! I met Jim when he did a CBS Schoolbreak Special in (cough) the late 80's called Soldier Boys, it was like War Games.

We watched War Games this weekend, what a fun movie with Matt Broderick. Hadn't seen it in forever. Kanopy has it until 9/30.

Also just until 9/30 Kanopy has Fargo, it's as great as we remembered. Kept thinking of Mike Lindell with those Minnesota accents doncha know.

And full circle, we're probably the last ones, but holy cow Bridge of Spies with Tom Hanks and Mark Rylance was fantastic. Only Spielberg can pull that off on such a grand scale. It wasn't until the credits rolled that we saw it was co-written Joel and Ethan Coen (who wrote, produced and directed Fargo). For anybody else like us, it's the Francis Gary Powers U-2 spy story. Masterfully done.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Just watched Time Team, season 11 episode 3, "Saxon Burials on the Ridge". The description in Amazon Prime is a little off, the Time Team investigates a possible 5th century cemetery in a plowed field, where previous detectorists have found a metal shield boss. They end up investigating three burials, a male skeleton buried with a drinking vessel, a woman with jewelry and most interestingly a tall woman buried with a sword and shield. And other stuff. I've watched a stupid large number of episodes but this one really moved me, I don't know why.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:34 am
► Show Spoiler
It’s a guilty pleasure. What I’d really like to see, though, is for them to go old school. No hidden immunity, no advantages. You perform in challenges and around camp and play the social game.
The script writers get bored doing the same things over and over.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Survivor has no scriptwriters.

An article from 2001:
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Because they amount to “strike-proof” programming, popular series such as “Survivor” and Fox’s “Temptation Island” have a clear side benefit.

Check out their imdb:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0239195/fu ... _=tt_cl_sm

I can't watch so-called reality TV for the same reasons I won't cross a picket line.
filly

Post by filly »

White Lotus.
keith

Post by keith »

qbawl wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:26 am Watched first two episodes of FOUNDATIONS it shows promise.
Id like to see it, but its on Apple TV. I dont get Apple TV.
keith

Post by keith »

busterbunker wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:25 am Survivor has no scriptwriters.

An article from 2001:
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Because they amount to “strike-proof” programming, popular series such as “Survivor” and Fox’s “Temptation Island” have a clear side benefit.

Check out their imdb:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0239195/fu ... _=tt_cl_sm

I can't watch so-called reality TV for the same reasons I won't cross a picket line.
Hey, yo. Ya wanna buy a bridge?

No, really.

OK, they are not prescripted in the traditional sense. But they are preplanned. The actors are chosen to fit the preplanned scenarios the producers have worked out. Scenarios are set up and if they don't 'look good' they will be reshot, maybe several times. They then take months to edit the resulting video to present what the producers think is the best TV, essentially scripting the show after the fact.

Do you know how hard it is to film people in the wilderness when there is a busy super highway 100 yards away without a scripted plan for camera angles?
filly

Post by filly »

filly wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:15 amWhite Lotus.
I just started watching this but I am very intrigued.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

filly wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:09 am
filly wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:15 amWhite Lotus.
I just started watching this but I am very intrigued.
I loved it. But I probably wouldn’t watch a second season.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”