What are you watching?

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Slim Cognito »

Re: Streaming 'scripts, I've been known to wait until all episodes of my desired show are available and use the free week to binge watch said show. Then cancel before the first payment is due.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:59 pm Yabbut, we don't have Disney+.

Sad trombone. :sadtrombone:
But you're a MCU fan I thought! Do you have Hulu? If so, it comes with Disney+ bundled. Just go to your account and adjust your settings. Disney+ by itself is $7.99 a month.

I'm just big on it because I get the movies on a fairly reasonable schedule. Love and Thunder is coming out on the 8th - only about 2 months after it opened in theaters. Dr.Strange was available after I think 48 days. For years I've had to wait about 6 months to see movies after their debut, so 2 months or so is just amazing to me! And even though I keep hearing Love and Thunder sucks, I'm still excited to see it :mrgreen:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:20 pm Re: Streaming 'scripts, I've been known to wait until all episodes of my desired show are available and use the free week to binge watch said show. Then cancel before the first payment is due.
Ooo, sneaky!
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Kriselda, definitely pumped for Thor Love and Thunder because of Chris Hemsworth's outstanding acting. :P We don't have Disney+ either... there was a free three-month offer through Amazon (maybe it'll be back this fall) and we watched most of the MSU on there along with the Star Wars movies. We made the most of that trial :lol:

On Netflix, Locke & Key is a fun fantasy show, looks like they have a huge budget. Magic keys lead to suspense and mayhem. Lots of really cool special effects (ghost flying, lots of water scenes, great sets). Three seasons, we're just at the end of S1 so we aren't looking online about it to avoid spoilers.

And, of course, tonight is the next new episode of Super Sized Salon on WEtv. Foggy may have posted about that somewhere else. :P In the SSS topic, there's a free link for WEtv along with tons of other channels including HBO (we've watched the first two House of the Dragon on the HBO link).
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:27 pm
Foggy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:59 pm Yabbut, we don't have Disney+.

Sad trombone. :sadtrombone:
Do you have Hulu? If so, it comes with Disney+ bundled. Just go to your account and adjust your settings. Disney+ by itself is $7.99 a month.
Ol' Wifehorn reports (and I confirmed) that no, we don't have Hulu.

But I did get her interested in She-Hulk, by telling her that the last time I told her about a show y'all really enjoyed, it was Santa Clarita Diet, and she loved that one. She knows she would like She-Hulk, she loves Mark Ruffalo too also.

So she looked, and sure enough, we can get a package that includes Hulu added to our Tee Vee - for the low, low price of only seventy dollars a month so that ain't on the table.

More sad trombone. :sadtrombone:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:28 pm So she looked, and sure enough, we can get a package that includes Hulu added to our Tee Vee - for the low, low price of only seventy dollars a month so that ain't on the table.

More sad trombone. :sadtrombone:
The $70 package includes live TV channels including your local network channels. It's basically a cable replacement. I doubt you need that. There should be 2 other options that give you Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN's streaming channel for either $20 (ad free) or $14 (ad supported), or you should be able to go to the Disney+ web site and get just it for $8.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

That's what we do. We subscribe to Hula and Disney+ streaming services. Do you have a Roku or Firestick? Or even a smart tv? We only pay about $14 a month for the two, with commercials, a bit more if you want to go ad-free. We haven't had cable for years and we have more tv options than we know what to do with (sorry for the bad grammar but I ain't looking it up).

ImageImageImage x4
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

orlylicious wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:20 pm Kriselda, definitely pumped for Thor Love and Thunder because of Chris Hemsworth's outstanding acting. :P We don't have Disney+ either... there was a free three-month offer through Amazon (maybe it'll be back this fall) and we watched most of the MSU on there along with the Star Wars movies. We made the most of that trial :lol:
I'll bet!

I really love Chris Hemsworth's take on Thor. The last couple of movies, of course, they've written him a lot sillier than I experience him. But in the movies I've seen so far, Chris has done a really nice job of portraying the core aspects of Thor - those things that make him worthy of being a god.
On Netflix, Locke & Key is a fun fantasy show, looks like they have a huge budget. Magic keys lead to suspense and mayhem. Lots of really cool special effects (ghost flying, lots of water scenes, great sets). Three seasons, we're just at the end of S1 so we aren't looking online about it to avoid spoilers.
Sounds interesting - I'll have to look into it!
And, of course, tonight is the next new episode of Super Sized Salon on WEtv. Foggy may have posted about that somewhere else. :P In the SSS topic, there's a free link for WEtv along with tons of other channels including HBO (we've watched the first two House of the Dragon on the HBO link).
That one I have to take a pass on. I know how much you love reality shows, but I've just never been able to get into them - though I *love* skilled reality competition shows like Top Chef or Project Runway.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Here's the Netflix trailer for Locke & Key before its 2020 premiere. The little boy in it is terrific. It's a fun jaunt based on a graphic novel:

Locke & Key | Official Trailer | Netflix
6,885,752 views Jan 8, 2020

It was shot in Nova Scotia and Toronto, though it takes place in Mass. Interesting package about the set:

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Locke and Key was a bit juvenile for my taste. Target demo is definitely 12 to 20yo's. That didn't stop me from watching all three seasons a bit at a time. The basic premise of the story (magic keys) reminded me of video games where you have to figure out how to operate a new doodad you find in the maze.

I won't even consider leaving any spoilers.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

PS: I'm working my way through Hell on Wheels on Roku. Originally an AMC show, they continue to demonstrate their disdain for the audience by selectively making some of the episodes pay-to-view through their AMC+ service (even though the other episodes have 90sec commercial interruptions every 5min). Like Slim, I'll sign up for the free 7 Day preview, and then discontinue ASAP. I wouldn't give these effers $8.95/mo to save my life.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power. As a longtime Tolkien nerd I am very excited about the show. The reported $1 billion that Amazon spent in development is very apparent on the screen.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I finally got around to seeing "Knives Out!" last night. If you've not seen it yet, it's pretty good fun!! It's a nice old-fashioned murder mystery - but light-hearted - done with a top-notch cast who all seem to be enjoying themselves. :) It's a whodunit, so I don't want to say much about the story because I don't want to accidentally want to give anything away, but it's a good story and well-told.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Agree Bill, it's a family show but we're really enjoying it. And, um, we're 20 year olds ;) The orchestral music is amazing along with the special effects, this had to have a huge budget. We've been binging Locke & Key this weekend, ready for the final Season 3 episode. We might try Rings of Power tonight.

Here is the soundtrack from Season 3, they are really full motion picture scores. Original Series Soundtrack from the Netflix fantasy series Locke & Key Season 3 (2022). The original score music is composed by Torin Borrowdale (Run).

SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Tell me what you think about Rings of Power! I think you will like the dark, brooding Elf Arondir.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I watched Rings of Power on Saturday, the first two episodes are available so far. I am liking it so far.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

orlylicious wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:03 pm Agree Bill, it's a family show but we're really enjoying it. And, um, we're 20 year olds ;) The orchestral music is amazing along with the special effects, this had to have a huge budget. We've been binging Locke & Key this weekend, ready for the final Season 3 episode. We might try Rings of Power tonight.

Here is the soundtrack from Season 3, they are really full motion picture scores. Original Series Soundtrack from the Netflix fantasy series Locke & Key Season 3 (2022). The original score music is composed by Torin Borrowdale (Run).

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiLQV2dp2V0
Oh. I don't even think about looking for the music scores online. That was good. Thank you Orly.

And yes, though I too am perpetually 20yo, all the teen angst drahmah grew old. Thankfully the Roku remote has a flick forward 10sec button.

OTOH, a bunch of 70yos down in the Sea Caves with their walkers, inhalers, bad backs, and medicare cards would never find the door. We'd never get past S1-E1. "Hey, I found this key." "Put it down." "Okay." (roll credits)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Now, bill, you know you would keep the key, even if you did it surreptitiously. I, of course, would keep the key just because someone told me not to. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:46 am Now, bill, you know you would keep the key, even if you did it surreptitiously. I, of course, would keep the key just because someone told me not to. :biggrin:
Mrs would want it because it was kewl. She'd packrat it away, and only future anthropologists will ever find it. (roll credits)
Tiredretiredlawyer

:rotflmao:

That makes for an even more interesting and useful phenomenon - a SEQUEL!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Even better, a GOONIES sequel!!!

ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer

:groupdance: :mbounce:
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I just watched the first two episodes of Rings of Power today. I liked it. It was a very enjoyable rendition of the stories found in the Simarillion and the Unfinished Tales.

I look forward to the rest of the episode. Now to go finish Sandman. :D
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Re-watching Boston Legal.

…”every time you piss, puke, or crap”…

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Greatgrey wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:12 pm Re-watching Boston Legal.

…”every time you piss, puke, or crap”…
Woah, great show! I could totally do a re-watch of that series. "Denny. Denny Crane." -- and I see it's free on the Roku Channel. :thumbsup:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”