What are you watching?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I "relax" by watching True Crime, specifically murders. My brothers read mysteries, Hubby does not. I keep all three informed of how to commit a murder and not get caught. I call them my Pro Tips and text them whenever an especially stupid something happens.

Pro Tips from yesterday:

#1 Do not dispose of a body in a nature preserve that has security cameras.

#2 Do not buy a reciprocating saw with which to dismember the body at Wal-Mart at 2:30 a.m. on the night of the murder. Too, also, don't buy trash bags, bleach, plastic gloves, masks and goggles in the same purchase.

#3 Do not use your personal vehicle that has a vanity plate when disposing of evidence.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

TRL, my wife watches these but only seems totally engaged (taking notes) when the victim is a spouse of the male persuasion. Should I be concerned?
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Also too, she is spending a lot of time with our neighbor who last month asked me to help her bury a rolled up carpet in the woods out back because the dog had soiled it. She said her husband Milo would have done it but he was traveling for work. He's still not back and I didn't know they even had a dog. Also I swear Milo told me he was retired. Odd. :confuzzled: :think:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:23 pm I "relax" by watching True Crime, specifically murders. My brothers read mysteries, Hubby does not. I keep all three informed of how to commit a murder and not get caught. I call them my Pro Tips and text them whenever an especially stupid something happens.

Pro Tips from yesterday:

#1 Do not dispose of a body in a nature preserve that has security cameras.

#2 Do not buy a reciprocating saw with which to dismember the body at Wal-Mart at 2:30 a.m. on the night of the murder. Too, also, don't buy trash bags, bleach, plastic gloves, masks and goggles in the same purchase.

#3 Do not use your personal vehicle that has a vanity plate when disposing of evidence.
Prior proper planning...
101010 :towel:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20220410_153634.jpg
Image Image Image Image
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Just discovered "Traces" on Amazon. A CSI-ish show set in Dundee, focusing on an old murder. I wanted to see it because of the writing by Val McDermid and Amelia Bullmore. McDermid is an established crime fiction writer, and Bullmore is one of those actor, writer, director triple threats who is good at all of it. I'm half way through the 12 episodes and I'm enjoying it a lot.

ETA "Crimson Rivers" is back with a third season. More weird cults in rural France.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Trl and qbawl:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
And now I have the hiccups :lol:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I just started "Black Sands" - an Icelandic 'Scandi Noir'.

Two episodes in and its pretty cool. Landscapes are incredible - the Northern Lights are always at least vaguely in the sky. The writing is great - story and sub-plots are interesting and exposed so slowly you feel like there is a pre-quel somewhere where all the characters secrets and relationships have already been explained.

Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer

Qbawl, I'm no expert, but you might want to hire a body sniffing dog to check for your neighbor.

As for your spouse, has she taken out any life insurance policies on your life lately? :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Estiveo wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:38 pm Estiveoshot_20220410_153634.jpg
:yeahthat:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

keith wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:01 am I just started "Black Sands" - an Icelandic 'Scandi Noir'.

Two episodes in and its pretty cool. Landscapes are incredible - the Northern Lights are always at least vaguely in the sky. The writing is great - story and sub-plots are interesting and exposed so slowly you feel like there is a pre-quel somewhere where all the characters secrets and relationships have already been explained.

Which network is this on? Sounds interesting, and I have a growing fascination with Iceland...
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I finished Vikings: Valhalla last night. I really enjoyed it a lot. They had some really cool plot twists that they managed to not telegraph from 100 miles away, which is always nice when that happens. The lead actors playing Leif and Harald are really dreamy good and the battle scenes are appropriately epic. Like it's predecessor, it has a lot of strong female characters - no damsels in distress here. There was also very little in the way of even semi-explicit sex, despite being on Netflix where they can get away with more than they could on History Channel.

I LOVED the original series and really like this one a lot, too. I hope it'll get more seasons, there's still so much more story to tell!
Both Vikings and Vikings: Valhalla are currently available on Netflix.
Tiredretiredlawyer

It's the screaming babies I can't handle in The Vikings! The shows are excellent but don't hurt that baby!
keith

Post by keith »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:10 am Which network is this on? Sounds interesting, and I have a growing fascination with Iceland...
In Australia, its on SBS On Demand. No idea about the rest of the world.

There seems to be many programs called Black Sands, I'm not sure where to start looking.

EDIT: looks like Australia might be the first outside Iceland. We're special.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

keith wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:37 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:10 am Which network is this on? Sounds interesting, and I have a growing fascination with Iceland...

There seems to be many programs called Black Sands, I'm not sure where to start looking.
Ok, thanks - I'll try to see what I can find. :)
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I was watching The Ten Commandments the other night. When Moses was walking across the desert, all I could think was that if he didn't do a sand walk (walking without rhythm) he'd get eaten by a worm. I may have been watching, and reading, too much Dune lately.

Next, I'll be confused when Shaddam IV does not say, "so let it be written, so let it be done."
101010 :towel:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Mrs and I have joked for a long time that cop shows are a great way to learn how *not* to commit a crime.
Tiredretiredlawyer

N10- :rotflmao:
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

It’s been a wait, but tonight

Better Call Saul!
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
keith

Post by keith »

keith wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:37 am

EDIT: looks like Australia might be the first outside Iceland. We're special.
By the way, I was only half joking when I said Australia was "special".

First of all the "SBS" in "SBS On Demand" stands for "Special Broadcasting Service". SBS was started up by the Australian Government in the late 70's to service the large immigrant population. It works under a hybrid funding scheme that provides for both direct Government funding and advertising revenue.

Secondly, as part of their service SBS has a large catalogue of non-English language movies, for which they have developed an highly respected sub-title translation team - possibly the finest in the world. SBS does a LOT of translation/sub-title work for lots of films in lots of languages which means the network gets early access to lots of non-English language content that the network can choose from.

So I'm guessing that SBS was contracted to subtitle "Black Sands" and thereby got to see it and buy the rights way before the producers had a chance start shopping it to other distribution channels.

So that's why we're "special".
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I just discovered that one of my favorite recent shows has released its 2nd season - WhooHoo! It's on HBOMAX and is called "Beforeigners". The basic premise is that people have somehow been transported from one of three previous ages - Edwardian/Victorian, Stone or Viking (!) - to the present, and it deals how they and the modern world try to adapt to each other, without losing their own distinct character. The central story for each season, though, is a murder mystery, being investigated by a modern day cop and his Viking Age partner. There are lots of surprising twists and turns in both the murder plot and the overall situation.

It's from Norway and the first season, at least, (I haven't watched the 2nd yet) let's you choose to watch in the original Norwegian with English captions or an English dub. Personally, I prefer the Norwegian version because you get a better sense of what the actors bring to their roles.

I really love this show!
Liz

Post by Liz »

Just binge watched Resident Alien... a quirky science fiction mystery comedy-drama remindful of Northern Exposure.

I also like Freddy Dodge's Mine Rescue. A Gold recovery expert that helps small time struggling mine owners increase their gold by changing their methods... usually double and once by 3000%.

... and True Crime.... it's almost always the husband...
keith

Post by keith »

Started on Catch 22 and Gaslit today. Both show promise.cannot recognise the actor playing John Mitchell in Gaslit.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

keith wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:06 am Started on Catch 22 and Gaslit today. Both show promise.cannot recognise the actor playing John Mitchell in Gaslit.
I don't recognize him, but it's Sean Penn. I assume he's heavily made up and using prosthetics because I kept trying to see him in there and couldn't find him.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”