What are you watching?

filly

Re: What are you watching?

Post by filly »

realist wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:55 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:03 am DCI Banks is a BBC production on hulu. Great production values and writing. Good acting. The end of the first episode disappoints for those of us who understand inhuman humans (LM K, maybenaut).
Mia and I watched DCI Banks and enjoyed it, along with several other British mysteries. It took me a while to get back to watching them without her, but I have and still enjoy them. Among them are Shetland (a real favorite) Midsommer Murders, Vera (another one we liked very much) Murdoch Mysteries (a really fun and different one) Whitechapel and many other excellent ones. We got them in Acorn and/or Britbox.
:bighug:
filly

Post by filly »

I watched In The Heat of the Night last night. I had never seen it before! I watched some of the Carroll O'Connor TV versions but never the actual movie. I really enjoyed it.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I like the Murdoch Mysteries as well. And I, too, also, had a major crush on Raymond Burr. Were his eyes blue or brown?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs. V. and I are near the end of the 11th series on "New Tricks" on Britbox. Then we will start on the 12th and final series.

There were many cast changes in the 10th and 11th series. Only one character/actor from the 1st series remains. However the writing remained good and the actors excellent.

I recommend it.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:50 am I like the Murdoch Mysteries as well. And I, too, also, had a major crush on Raymond Burr. Were his eyes blue or brown?
General opinion is blue.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:02 pm Don't Look Up on Netflix. :lol:

Watch all the way through the credits!
Damn, I just watched that last night with my husband, but we didn't watch through the credits. Can you send me a PM with what happens just so I can know without having to fast forward thru the whole movie again?

BTW: I agree with the recommendation - it's a GREAT movie!!!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

filly wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:46 am I watched In The Heat of the Night last night. I had never seen it before! I watched some of the Carroll O'Connor TV versions but never the actual movie. I really enjoyed it.
I had a hard time trying to warm up to In The Heat of the Night, I think primarily because I typecast Carroll as Archie Bunker and this character didn't work for me. :oopsy:
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I just finished the second season of The Witcher.

I really need to get the books. :)
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Watching now. Is it just me or has Leonardo gotten more hot in his older age? :lol:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:51 am Mrs. V. and I are near the end of the 11th series on "New Tricks" on Britbox. Then we will start on the 12th and final series.

There were many cast changes in the 10th and 11th series. Only one character/actor from the 1st series remains. However the writing remained good and the actors excellent.

I recommend it.
Don't get me wrong, the last few series were fine, and I liked the last series no problem.
► Show Spoiler
Has everybody heard about the bird?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Good recommend. I was avoiding it because it had a lot of Hollywood A Listers. Those tend to be disasters, but this one pulled it off. It is definitely shooting arrows at the Trump Administration. No bout adoubt it.
► Show Spoiler
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:31 am

.... It is definitely shooting arrows at the Trump Administration. No bout adoubt it.
You caught that, too, eh? It has alot of political elements. Well done. :lol:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:49 am

.... It is definitely shooting arrows at the Trump Administration. No bout adoubt it.
You caught that, too, eh? It has alot of political elements. Well done. :lol:
Oh yeah. They were throwing any loose objects they could find lying around at him. From spectacle rallys with meaningless catch phrases to ill fitting swag.
► Show Spoiler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I’m watching Shameless on Netflix. There are 11 seasons. I’m on season 6. It’s about a poor family in Chicago. Dad’s an alcoholic conman; mom’s absent (you find out why - she comes and goes); 6 kids, each with a storyline.

it’s very, very good. It’s raw, funny in parts (but it’s not a comedy), but the writing and character development is excellent.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:01 am
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
filly

Post by filly »

Good recommend. I was avoiding it because it had a lot of Hollywood A Listers. Those tend to be disasters, but this one pulled it off. It is definitely shooting arrows at the Trump Administration. No bout adoubt it.
► Show Spoiler
And the Bush Administration. We thought it was about 30 minutes too long. Particularly fun since my husband was wearing a Michigan State sweatshirt while watching.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

filly wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:47 am

► Show Spoiler
And the Bush Administration. We thought it was about 30 minutes too long. Particularly fun since my husband was wearing a Michigan State sweatshirt while watching.
My alma mater too. I did not recognize the campus in the film, but I haven't seen it since the late 70's. Neither did I know it had an astronomy program.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

filly wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:47 am ... Particularly fun since my husband was wearing a Michigan State sweatshirt while watching.
And I can't figure out the Michigan State reference... :oopsy: I know Hollywood plants these little Easter Eggs, but I could not get that one.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Dexter on Showtime ended last night. I did NOT see that coming.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:04 am
filly wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:47 am ... Particularly fun since my husband was wearing a Michigan State sweatshirt while watching.
And I can't figure out the Michigan State reference... :oopsy: I know Hollywood plants these little Easter Eggs, but I could not get that one.
DiCaprio's character was a professor at MSU and Lawrence's a PhD candidate there.
filly

Post by filly »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:50 am

► Show Spoiler
My alma mater too. I did not recognize the campus in the film, but I haven't seen it since the late 70's. Neither did I know it had an astronomy program.
Ha ha! At the beginning of the movie I said to my husband "MSU? How come these people aren't stoned out of their minds?" Then Jennifer Lawrence started getting stoned. My husband said the campus scenes were shot in the old dorm area. Unlike his frat buddies, he hasn't been back there, but very few of any of them spent much time on campus in their 5-6 years there. :shrug:
bob

Post by bob »

► Show Spoiler
Image ImageImage
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:32 pm Dexter on Showtime ended last night. I did NOT see that coming.
Do you mean the original Dexter series or the new one? I watched the new series, season 1 is out so far. It is very good. I don't want to give anything away in case anyone is still planning to watch it, but hasn't seen any of it yet. But I enjoyed Season 1 of the new Dexter quite a bit.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

And the Bush Administration. We thought it was about 30 minutes too long.
Also, I agree it seemed to run long and could have been trimmed a bit, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
It's not a comedy, but they were able to sprinkle in humor to an otherwise serious plot without mucking the story.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:24 pm
And the Bush Administration. We thought it was about 30 minutes too long.
Also, I agree it seemed to run long and could have been trimmed a bit, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
It's not a comedy, but they were able to sprinkle in humor to an otherwise serious plot without mucking the story.
The final dinner scene was subtle but intense.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”