What are you watching?

SuzieC
Verified:

Re: What are you watching?

Post by SuzieC »

Gaslit. Untold story about Martha Mitchell as the first truth teller about Watergate. She was literally beaten up, gaslighted, and stigmatized as drunk and mentally ill. Julia Roberts is excellent as Martha and Sean Penn loathsome as John Mitchell. But in my opinion, the actor playing G. Gordon Liddy is fantastic and totally captures his howling psychotic insanity.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Ends tomorrow night. :thumbsup:

It's on STARZ at 8 PM ET. At 9 PM, John Dean is on CNN, parts 3 and 4.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

SuzieC wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:11 pm Gaslit. Untold story about Martha Mitchell as the first truth teller about Watergate. She was literally beaten up, gaslighted, and stigmatized as drunk and mentally ill. Julia Roberts is excellent as Martha and Sean Penn loathsome as John Mitchell. But in my opinion, the actor playing G. Gordon Liddy is fantastic and totally captures his howling psychotic insanity.
Yes to everything you said.

But to be fair, she WAS a drunk, and, though I am not a shrink, she probably was mentally ill during some of the more critical events - pushed there by the gaslighting and torture.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I have two Netflix movies worth watching: "Hustle" and "Nobody". Hustle is streaming now. Nobody is only available on disc.

I am by no means a fan of Adam Sandler. His name in the credits usually elicits a skip-to-next from me. But, I was intrigued by the real life NBA players appearing in the film wondering if it was a docudrama. It's not. It's entirely fiction, but an excellent original story with an outstanding effort by Sandler. He plays a pro basketball coulda-been whose early career mishaps detoured him into an underappreciated world traveling scout for the Philly 76ers married to Queen Latifa. He risks everything on a diamond in the rough he found playing in the neighborhood courts of Spain. Think of this as Rocky from the coach's perspective. Easy to digest, enjoyable, and very pleasant.

Bob Odenkirk, best known as Saul Goodman in the Breaking Bad series, plays a past middle aged upper middle class suburban guy that misses his days as an international "auditor" (assassin) for the US Govt. He managed to retire from that life, and adopt a normal routine with a wife, a mortgage, and a teenager with attitude, only to have that all upended one fateful evening. It has three epic fight scenes: the bus, the house, and the factory. It's ninty minutes of choreographed mayhem starring an unlikely hero versus very unsavory bad guys. The first half hour is character developement that leads to the bus. The second half hour is the retribution that lands at the house. The third half hour is final battle that happens at the factory. Be sure to watch through the credits. There are final scenes sprinkled throughout.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

keith wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:43 am
SuzieC wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:11 pm Gaslit. Untold story about Martha Mitchell as the first truth teller about Watergate. She was literally beaten up, gaslighted, and stigmatized as drunk and mentally ill. Julia Roberts is excellent as Martha and Sean Penn loathsome as John Mitchell. But in my opinion, the actor playing G. Gordon Liddy is fantastic and totally captures his howling psychotic insanity.
Yes to everything you said.

But to be fair, she WAS a drunk, and, though I am not a shrink, she probably was mentally ill during some of the more critical events - pushed there by the gaslighting and torture.
Women who were gaslighted, abused and tortured at the time often anesthetized themselves with pills and alcohol. And still do.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:yeahthat:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/2 ... ar-AAYpjOU?
200-Plus Hollywood Creators Sign Brady Pledge to Curb Onscreen Gun Violence and 'Model Gun Safety'
An Open Letter to Our Colleagues in the Creative Community
Like most of America, we are enraged by the recent mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde. Considering there have been over 250 other mass shootings so far this year, it's an almost incomprehensible tragedy. Something needs to be done.

Guns are prominently featured in TV and movies in every corner of the globe, but only America has a gun violence epidemic. The responsibility lies with lax gun laws supported by those politicians more afraid of losing power than saving lives. We didn't cause the problem, but we want to help fix it.

As America's storytellers, our goal is primarily to entertain, but we also acknowledge that stories have the power to effect change. Cultural attitudes toward smoking, drunk driving, seatbelts and marriage equality have all evolved due in large part to movies' and TV's influence. It's time to take on gun safety.

We are not asking anyone to stop showing guns on screen. We are asking writers, directors and producers to be mindful of on-screen gun violence and model gun safety best practices. Let's use our collective power for good. Whenever possible, we will:

• Use our creativity to model responsible gun ownership and show consequences for reckless gun use. We will make a conscious effort to show characters locking their guns safely and making them inaccessible to children.

• Have at least one conversation during pre-production regarding the way guns will be portrayed on screen and consider alternatives that could be employed without sacrificing narrative integrity.

• Limit scenes including children and guns, bearing in mind that guns are now the leading cause of death for children and adolescents.

We are under no illusions that these actions are a substitute for common sense gun legislation. Furthermore, this list does not incorporate every nuance of guns on screen. However, these are small things that we can do as a community to try and end this national nightmare. If you are a writer, director or producer, join us by signing here.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Check your local PBS stations. This is fabulous and inspiring. I saw it through AARP's Movies for Grownups. There will be a panel discussion on AARP at the end of June.

https://www.cureddocumentary.com/

Trailer

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I accidentally caught The Janes the other night. Loved it.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Perry Mason has more Black actors! Paul Winfield appeared in Season 9. Only one of the Black actors has portrayed service staff. The rest have been expert witnesses, a judge, and Winfield worked on a race car team.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.sistersletter.com/culture/6 ... ride-month
6 Enjoyable and Enlightening Movies and Shows to Stream During Pride Month
Universally human dramas, documentaries, romances and biopics showcase the bravery, brilliance, creativity and vulnerability of LGBTQ people of color.

Bessie (HBO Max)

Water in a Broken Glass (Prime Video)

My Name Is Pauli Murray (Prime Video)

Paris Is Burning (Apple TV)

Pariah (HBO Max)

The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson (Netflix)
Cross-posting
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Netflix -Web of Make Believe: Death, Lies, and the Internet

OMFG

If you have a heart condition, or are prone to excitability, this is not your show. I was this close (holding fingers together) to yelling at the teevee set and beating the La-Z-boy with a bat *while* watching this. I had to put it down after two episodes. It is total poli-junkie crack presentation. If you want recent past and current events broken down into digestible bits, pull up a chair.

OTOH, if you want something a bit lighter ...

Netflix - God's Favorite Idiot

Okay Melissa McCarthy fans. Absolute treat for you. Mrs loves her some MM, me not so much, but we both love this show. (that was me channeling MM) She co-stars beside her IRL husband Ben Falcone in an absolutely irreverent, almost blasphemous comedy about God, angels, Lucifer, and chosen ones. Everything gets foisted on it's petard. No prisoners taken. So, maybe your blood pressure will go up depending on how attached you are to Christianity.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Della Street called someone a misogynist in one of the Season 9 shows!!! These were filmed around 1965.

Strother Martin showed up in an episode. I didn’t know he was ever young. I recognized his voice but not his face or body.

I finally got to see Perry make an opening argument. It was well done.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Frank Sinatra, Jean Simmons, Marlon Brando in the movie version of Guys and Dolls. i absolutely love this musical! Stubby Kaye singing “Sit down you’re rockin the boat”, all of poor Adelaide’s songs. Sigh. I iz happy tonight.

We binged the first season of Lincoln Lawyer too. I liked it.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Bill_G, thanks. I really enjoyed Hustle (and generally do NOT enjoy Sandler).
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Danraft wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:29 am Bill_G, thanks. I really enjoyed Hustle (and generally do NOT enjoy Sandler).
You're welcome. I was pleasantly surprised by it.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:12 am Frank Sinatra, Jean Simmons, Marlon Brando in the movie version of Guys and Dolls. i absolutely love this musical! Stubby Kaye singing “Sit down you’re rockin the boat”, all of poor Adelaide’s songs. Sigh. I iz happy tonight.

We binged the first season of Lincoln Lawyer too. I liked it.
Lincoln Lawyer is on my "considering it " list. Haven't decided to dive in yet.
Tiredretiredlawyer

"Guys and Dolls" :daydreaming:
bob

Post by bob »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:02 am "Guys and Dolls" :daydreaming:
Such an opening:
Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Watching the old Adam 12 series. It is fun to watch and see how much police and see how much the world has changed. I'm on Season 4 now, and was really surprised to see an episode featuring biker folks and one of them was Mickey Dolenz, hair greased back and all :bighug:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Ol' Wifehorn liked Lincoln Lawyer so much, she borrowed my first book in the series. Never thought she'd appreciate Michael Connolly, but hay ... :thumbsup:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

I was feeling under the weather and just wanted something playing as I reclined and got started on Prime’s P-Valley (there until 6/30, 2 seasons).

It’s a bit nitty gritty three episodes in and I think I’ll see it through. Videography and storytelling are pretty decent.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Nice feel-good series if you like pets.

Netflix Series
The Hidden Lives of Pets
2022 | TV-G | 1 Season | Family Watch Together TV
Bow wows and purr-fect pets! Meet amazing creatures from around the world and dig into the latest science on our animal friends' senses and skills.
https://www.netflix.com/watch/81387030
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Started the 3rd series of The Umbrella Academy today on Netflix.

The number of primary characters has about doubled from the 2nd series so keeping plot lines straight is a bit of a challenge.

It has been a while since series 2 so I had to refer to Wikipedia to remind myself about which characters have which superpowers.

The show veered into an alternate time line at the end of series 2 so at least 2 characters who died in series 1 and 2 are alive again.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Westworld on HBO, started it's 4th season last night...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”