Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Re: What are you watching?

Post by LM K »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:57 am I like horror, but not gruesome horror. And, for some reason, I don't watch much vampire or zombie stuff. Or slasher stuff. Vampires and zombies are just different sides of the same coin.
So you're not interested in my zombie neuroscience lecture?*

Yes, I actually have a zombie neuroscience lecture. That's just how I role!
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

LM K wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:03 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:57 am I like horror, but not gruesome horror. And, for some reason, I don't watch much vampire or zombie stuff. Or slasher stuff. Vampires and zombies are just different sides of the same coin.
So you're not interested in my zombie neuroscience lecture?*

Yes, I actually have a zombie neuroscience lecture. That's just how I role!
Probably not. :biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
LM K

Post by LM K »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:56 am
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:44 am I'm a Game of Thrones fan, but found the rape scenes appalling. The only thing I will say for it, and it's not much, is that there was less of it as the series went on. I didn't like the gore either, and don't like it in anything, including horror, which I do enjoy.
There was one particular rape scene that bothered me — the one with Sansa Stark. Aside from the obvious, it bothered me because it was gratuitous. That particular event didn’t happen in the books. Well, it hasn’t happened yet, anyway, and might not ever happen if George R.R. Martin doesn’t get off his ass and finish the last book.

But (and I think I may have mentioned this on the old ‘bow), other than the title, the names of the characters, and some common basic plot points, the story portrayed in the TV show doesn’t resemble the story in the books at all.
Amen.

We'll never see the last 2 GoT books. I was about to start reading the series, but once I learned how inexcusably late Martin is with book 6, I decided not to. I'm not going to invest so much time in a series that will never be finished.

Martin has signed a new 5 year contract with HBO Max ... for original content. Martin is 71.

We'll never know how the GoT story was supposed to end.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I did exactly the same thing. I bought the first book, read enough to know I liked his style of writing a lot, but heard that he would probably never end the series, and put the book down. If the ending ever gets written (which I doubt), I will give it another shot.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
LM K

Post by LM K »

Chapelwaite.

Based off the story Jerusalem's Lot by Steven King.

Lead character is played by Adrian Brody.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

It wouldn't surprise me if, like Jordan's Wheel of Time series, it gets finished by another writer after Martin dies.
Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That was true of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books, also. If I didn't know he had died, I might not have even noticed as the books went on.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Went to watch Eternals last night. Three in the family are MCU fans and were completely underwhelmed by the story. It looked nice, effects worked, but the 2.5 hours didn't fit together IMO.
filly

Post by filly »

Netflix just dropped the third and last season of Narcos Mexico. We are addicted to this fine series.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

This is a lovely 15-minute short animated film. Used to dream about having an orchestra always around playing a soundtrack, that would be so fun. :P
Imagine a world where a band of tiny musicians follow you and play a soundtrack for your life – communicating your emotions, fears and hopes.
By Mikey Hill Australia / 2015 / 15′ / No dialogues
Production : Feather Films Pty Ltd
In this world lives Elderly Vernon, a lonely man whose crippling shyness causes his orchestral musicians to perform terribly out of tune.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:thumbsup:

Thanks for posting that. I really enjoyed it.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I'm working my way through all the Harry Potter movies on Peacock. They are numbered so you can get through them in the correct order.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:

I've seen all the movies, probably many times. I read the books as they came out, then passed them on to my granddaughter when she was eight. She devoured them, and became a huge fan. But she's twelve now, so she's over that. :biggrin:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:35 am :thumbsup:

I've seen all the movies, probably many times. I read the books as they came out, then passed them on to my granddaughter when she was eight. She devoured them, and became a huge fan. But she's twelve now, so she's over that. :biggrin:
This was my first time through the series in its entirety. I had not seen more than half. It was all new to me. They certainly put a lot of effort in The Deathly Hallows Part II into putting a button in all the loose details for the fans. It was a bit dizzying. For example, I had to read up on the Resurrection Stone. It made no sense at the time. Likewise, possession of the Elder Wand was a bit convoluted, but it got the job done. They could tick that box.

Normally I'd complain about overuse of deus ex machina, but it's magical world. You can do what you want and not have to explain. Rowling definitely has a fantastic imagination. I had a fun ride through her tales.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Time to introduce her to the Dune series... ;)
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:40 am

It's been a long time, but I read those. 8-)
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Definitely the 1984 De Laurentiss unedited version. After she's 18 or 30. He tried to push the boundaries with that.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

:yeahthat: :thumbsup:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

If Walls Could Talk - The History of the Home"

Dr. Lucy Worsley OBE is Joint Chief Curator at Historic Royal Palaces which manages-

Tower of London
Hampton Court Palace
Kensington Palace (State Apartments and Orangery)
The Banqueting House, Whitehall
Kew Palace with Queen Charlotte's Cottage
Hillsborough Castle

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Found this on YouTube. It’s longer than I like to post.
I enjoyed it back then. Maybe you will too, though it is dated:

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Future Boy CONAN: The Complete Series [Blu-ray]
Hayao Miyazaki (Director)

It's Miyazaki, top to bottom, beginning to end. Not like other anime TV series where he only did a few episodes.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Two thumbs down and a knuckle sandwich for Birdman. The critics love it. Some even called it brilliant. The public likes it. I punched eject 15 minutes in.

It's a Hollywood Russian Doll. It's a movie about actors acting as actors. ie: professional navel gazing. All the characters are at various stages of their acting careers. Some are rising. Some are falling. Some are stagnant. The narcissistic interpersonal dynamics are predictable and visible. The story is as shallow as the people they portray.

Not for me.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

bill_g wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:12 am

This was my first time through the series in its entirety. I had not seen more than half. It was all new to me. They certainly put a lot of effort in The Deathly Hallows Part II into putting a button in all the loose details for the fans. It was a bit dizzying. For example, I had to read up on the Resurrection Stone. It made no sense at the time. Likewise, possession of the Elder Wand was a bit convoluted, but it got the job done. They could tick that box.

Normally I'd complain about overuse of deus ex machina, but it's magical world. You can do what you want and not have to explain. Rowling definitely has a fantastic imagination. I had a fun ride through her tales.
Unanswered questions in the movies and the books, I haz them. But I just had to ignore.

Harry’s dad, James, was from a Wizarding family. Serius said as a kid he spent all his time at James’ house. Rowling never talks about James’ parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I get why the decided to hide Harry at the Dursley’s, but she never said what became of the rest of Harry’s family. At some point it seems he would at least have met them.

And she never explained how Harry’s parents came into that fortune in Gringott’s Bank.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Speaking of Harry Potter:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/n ... first-film
The original cast of the Harry Potter series will be reunited 20 years after the first film was released.

An HBO Max special titled Return to Hogwarts will be released on 1 January 2022, the network has said.

Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson will join American film-maker Chris Columbus to discuss the films and explore their creation in depth.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone review – 20 years on, it’s a nostalgic spectacular
Read more

The special will invite fans “on a magical first-person journey through one of the most beloved film franchises of all time”, HBO Max said.

The programme was announced exactly 20 years on from the US release of the first film, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, on 16 November 2001.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

J.K.Rowling writes about Harry's family and where the money came from here-

https://www.wizardingworld.com/writing- ... ter-family
Henry’s son was called Fleamont Potter. Fleamont was so called because it was the dying wish of Henry’s mother that he perpetuate her maiden name, which would otherwise die out. He bore the burden remarkably well; indeed, he always attributed his dexterity at duelling to the number of times he had to fight people at Hogwarts after they had made fun of his name. It was Fleamont who took the family gold and quadrupled it, by creating magical Sleekeazy’s Hair Potion ( ‘two drops tames even the most bothersome barnet’ ). He sold the company at a vast profit when he retired, but no amount of riches could compensate him or his wife Euphemia for their childlessness. They had quite given up hope of a son or daughter when, to their shock and surprise, Euphemia found that she was pregnant and their beloved boy, James, was born.

Fleamont and Euphemia lived long enough to see James marry a Muggle-born girl called Lily Evans, but not to meet their grandson, Harry. Dragon pox carried them off within days of each other, due to their advanced age, and James Potter then inherited Ignotus Peverell’s Invisibility Cloak.
Maybenaut wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:48 am
bill_g wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:12 am

Unanswered questions in the movies and the books, I haz them. But I just had to ignore.

Harry’s dad, James, was from a Wizarding family. Serius said as a kid he spent all his time at James’ house. Rowling never talks about James’ parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I get why the decided to hide Harry at the Dursley’s, but she never said what became of the rest of Harry’s family. At some point it seems he would at least have met them.

And she never explained how Harry’s parents came into that fortune in Gringott’s Bank.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”