What are you watching?

PaulG

Re: What are you watching?

Post by PaulG »

northland10 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:18 pm I am not watching it yet, because it does not yet exist, but apparently Warner Brothers and J. Michael Straczynski (JMS) are in process of creating a Babylon 5 reboot.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/27/2269 ... ros-the-cw

In the article, to give some idea of where he is going, JMS says:
J. Michael Straczynski wrote:To answer all the questions, yes, it’s true, Babylon 5 is in active development as a series for the CW. We have some serious fans over at the network, and they’re eager to see this show happen. I’m hip deep into writing the pilot now, and will be running the series upon pickup. The network understands the uniqueness of Babylon 5 and is giving me a great deal of latitude with the storytelling.

As noted in the announcement, this is a reboot from the ground up rather than a continuation, for several reasons. Heraclitus wrote “You cannot step in the same river twice, for the river has changed, and you have changed.” In the years since B5, I’ve done a ton of other TV shows and movies, adding an equal number of tools to my toolbox, all of which I can bring to bear on one singular question: if I were creating Babylon 5 today, for the first time, knowing what I now know as a writer, what would it look like? How would it use all the storytelling tools and technological resources available in 2021 that were not on hand then?

:snippity:
Is there even a point to doing a re-roll? Why not just set the new story 30 years after the old one? The great thing about B5 came from JMS having it all written before they started shooting. The problem was the suits wanted to wrap up in 4 seasons, and then wanted a fifth season, which IMHO wasn't very good. I still kept on watching, but not enough other people did, apparently.
How can it be used to reflect the world in which we live, and the questions we are asking and confronting every day?
I think this is true of all sci-fi, but it is more reason to abandon the reboot and just start a new story. Maybe he can use old footage in flashback scenes? Start in the future and then do a re-cap?

Meanwhile, I've been re-watching the original Cowboy Bebop, music is far and away the best part, but the animation is pretty great too. Stories are kind of awful, typical hero never gets paid for saving the world. I get tired of those really quick.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

The problem with season 5 was that, due to the threatened early end, he had to rush the conclusion to some of the stories which left season 5 with less arch material to wind up. The final episode was actually taped the year before as they thought they had to end it but when they got picked up by TNT for the last season, they pushed it back and replaced season 4 ending with the many, many, many years into the future show. No Ivanova and no Marcus really left a gap for the last year.
101010 :towel:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Watching the original Frankenstein (1931) on Svengoolie (MeTV). At the beginning, a doctor/professor describes the differences between a "normal" brain and an "abnormal" brain* in a med class. When the class ends, the prof dismissed the students as "gentleman," but as they walk out of the classroom, it looks as if about 1/3 of the students are female. I thought that was interesting.

*Mel Brooks riffs this in Young Frankenstein
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:48 pm Watching the original Frankenstein (1931) on Svengoolie (MeTV). At the beginning, a doctor/professor describes the differences between a "normal" brain and an "abnormal" brain* in a med class. When the class ends, the prof dismissed the students as "gentleman," but as they walk out of the classroom, it looks as if about 1/3 of the students are female. I thought that was interesting.

*Mel Brooks riffs this in Young Frankenstein
Good old Abby.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

qbawl wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:51 pm
Good old Abby.
"Abby someone? Abby who?"
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Uhm..Abby Normal? :rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

"Imposters" on Netflix
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:52 am "Imposters" on Netflix
I second that recommend. We watched it years ago when it was on Bravo.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The Great British Baking Show on Netflix.

I just spent two weeks with my sister and her partner in Seattle. While there, they were watching the latest episodes of The Great British Baking Show. Thank goodness for subtitles! It's not only the accents, it's also different words. But the bakers are so very interesting! Needless to say, I had to subscribe to Netflix when I got home so I could continue to watch the show.
filly

Post by filly »

I somehow missed Poldark on PBS and belatedly started it this week on Amazon Prime Video. Love it!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Just finished Taboo with Tom Hardy. I hope there’s a season 2.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Succession Season 3 drops tonight! HBO. I loved Season 1 and 2. The end of Season 2 is epic.

So sorry Stern isn't posting any more, I know this was one of his favorites, he posted about it. Wherever you are Stern, hope you will enjoy yourself tonight.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

RVInit wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:33 pm Succession Season 3 drops tonight! HBO. I loved Season 1 and 2. The end of Season 2 is epic.

So sorry Stern isn't posting any more, I know this was one of his favorites, he posted about it. Wherever you are Stern, hope you will enjoy yourself tonight.
Not a single likable character in that show....and that's why I tune in every week, to see what happens when the house finally collapses on all of them.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Frater I*I wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:03 pm
RVInit wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:33 pm Succession Season 3 drops tonight! HBO. I loved Season 1 and 2. The end of Season 2 is epic.

Not a single likable character in that show....and that's why I tune in every week, to see what happens when the house finally collapses on all of them.
I kind of like Cousin Greg. He's not perfect, but what a hoot.

I just finished watching the first episode of Season 3, it was pretty good. I think this season's going to be entertaining.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

And now for something completely different. Not what am I watching, but what am I trying to find?

I am TRYING to find Orson Welles version of Kafka's "The Trial" (starring Anthony Perkins as Joseph K) on a streaming service somewhere.

I've got Stan (an Australian service) and Amazon Prime and I can play YouTubes on the TV. I do not have NetFlix, but can get it if the impetus is strong enough.

Does anybody know of a streaming service that has it in its library? Can I get to it from Australia (I can organize a VPN if necessary, I think).

I have not attempted to find it on a physical disk yet.

EDIT: I have ordered a physical DVD. Who knows when it will arrive?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
filly

Post by filly »

Frater I*I wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:03 pm

You are right, all of the characters are unlikeable but people like that never get their comeuppance. Season 3 started out so boring that I fell asleep. Hope it picks up soon.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Oh boy! This is going to be a monster. Theatres Dec 10, Amazon Prime Dec 21.
Nicole Kidman Is Spot-on As Lucille Ball in First Trailer for “Being the Ricardos,” Lucie Arnaz Approves
by Roger Friedman - October 19, 2021 10:12 am

The trailer for Aaron Sorkin’s “Being the Ricardos” is here. I had to back up the frame because I thought they were using clips from “I Love Lucy” in the movie in the trailer. But that’s Nicole Kidman stomping grapes. The expression on her face is perfect, she really got Lucy. Now I’m excited. Lucie Arnaz, daughter of Lucy and Desi, gave her thumbs up last week. If she approves, we’re in good shape, and she’s seen the whole movie. It’s not a money thing, Lucie doesn’t need money from this movie. But she knows the franchise, and she’s her parents’ daughter.

Here's Lucie Arnaz on "I Love Lucy" day (the 70th anniversary), she's seen the film.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Destination Adventure. Dustin Porter wandering around in a RV exploring places.

In this episode, he ran across a general store in British Columbia that is in the state it was when in closed back in 1963.

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

SWMBO has us started on "Downton Abbey".

She seems to be aiming at 8 to 10 episodes a week (2 or 3 a night sometimes). So how many years are we going to be doing this do you reckon?

The last episode we watched, 4 people out of a household of 30 or so got the Spanish Flu, 1 died, 1 almost died, 2 just felt terrible. The local hospital was evidently being overrun, but the doctor made a house call and did not wear a mask - no one wore a mask or took any precautions what-so-ever at any time. Maybe they get more serious about it in future episodes, but I have never seen any contemporary images or descriptions of reactions to the Spanish Flu pandemic that indicated that anyone took it that flippantly. Maybe I'm just looking at it from today's perspective filter, but I think the TV production is being very lazy in its historic time keeping here.

On the upside is that a friend gave me a bottle of "Hemp Gin" the other night and it does make for a very nice Gin & Tonic while watching all the Butlering and Aristocrating going on. I'm not sure that a lime or lemon is quite the 'correct' garnish though. With Hendricks gin, you use a cucumber, but that doesn't 'feel' right either. I wonder what would go nice with a "Hemp Gin"?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Keith, we have the Downton movie, haven't watched it yet but friends said it's good, it picks up after the series.

For a totally different Lucy, we really enjoyed this on Kanopy. They have some really unique films there if you haven't checked them out. We check Google when we see something we like, sometimes they're free on YouTube or somewhere else so we don't use a credit on them. The Death Of Mr. Lazarescu is next. They also have a lot of series from The Great Courses which Amazon charges for.

LURED

In this sumptuous thriller by legendary filmmaker Douglas Sirk and featuring a bevy of classic stars of the silver screen, a serial killer is on the loose in London, luring young women into his web through ads placed in the personal column.

Scotland Yard's bait to ensnare the villain is a young American dance hall girl (played by a stunning Lucille Ball), who encounters a series of likely suspects, including the always dashing George Sanders as a sophisticated playboy and an unforgettable Boris Karloff as a mad fashion designer.

Restored from 35MM nitrate and safety material.

"What could have been merely a diverting whodunit becomes, in Sirk's hands, an atmospheric, sensuous pleasure." - Entertainment Weekly

Running Time 103 mins
Year 1947
Filmmakers Douglas Sirk
Features Boris Karloff, Charles Coburn, George Sanders, Lucille Ball, Sir Cedric Hardwick
Languages English
Subjects Movies > Classic Cinema Movies > Drama Movies Movies > Horror & Thriller
These were really good too (just in spoiler to not take up too much room):
► Show Spoiler

A few others on our watchlist to give you an idea (though there are thousands of titles). Also in spoiler to not take up too much room:
► Show Spoiler
And the price is right -- if your library has Kanopy, you get six free movies a month (at least ours offers six). We like it a lot for off-beat, foreign and old classic films (although they have some newer ones like Parasite and stuff too).
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Halloween is almost upon us, and if you have not gotten your minimum annual allowance of vitamin V, you need to watch Night Teeth on Netflix soon. It should top you off nicely.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I like horror, but not gruesome horror. And, for some reason, I don't watch much vampire or zombie stuff. Or slasher stuff. Vampires and zombies are just different sides of the same coin.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Currently bingeing season 3 of You on Netflix. The Netflix story is similar to, but also different from, the Caroline Kepnes books, especially in the second and third seasons (first season tracked the first book fairly closely).

It’s OK that they’re different because There’s just more to love. I loved all the books, and the TV show is very well-done.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Keith, how about a grapefruit peel twist? Or a sprig of lavender, either leaves or flower? That might be a bit medicinal, though.. Sometimes lavender is overwhelming. Experiment.

Or fresh mint.

Lastly, might I suggest a lightly toasted bud? Pop it in your mouth like an olive after it’s sunk to the bottom. if its toasted first, it’ll compliment the buzz as you watch them buttle and serve.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”