Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:23 pm https://www.buzzfeed.com/bendzialdowski ... ue-stories
These "Based On Real Events" Films Were Given The "Historical Accuracy" Test, And My Eyes Have Been Well And Truly Opened

So, here are 17 movies, ranked from least accurate to most, allowing for a little bit of artistic licence.

Selma

Paramount Pictures
Accuracy: 100%

Factual: The filmmakers rightly took care when retelling these events, and were particularly careful to include as many of the people involved as possible, hence the unusually large cast. The important historical scenes were done considerately, and they were incredibly impactful because of this,

Dramatised: Some commentators declare that the film misrepresented Johnson, with some (Johnsons's former assistant) saying that he and King worked together more, although it seems as though the film's portrayal was actually closer to the truth.

Scene that did happen:

Coretta really did meet with Malcolm X in secret.
We went to a play on Sunday that portrayed a fictional meeting between King and X. It carefully and brilliantly discussed the different approaches the two took, and the respect each had for the other.

The Meeting
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Cool!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Phoenix520 »

Kris, I’m glad to hear your The Orville review. We just started watching. I was dubious but am liking it.
John Thomas8

What are you watching?

Post by John Thomas8 »

Had a giggle this weekend with the wife, we binged Hocus Pocus 1 and 2. Very funny, and all three women who did the first one as the Sanderson Sisters reprised their roles and did excellent work.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:38 pm Kris, I’m glad to hear your The Orville review. We just started watching. I was dubious but am liking it.
Cool! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

What are you watching?

Post by Ben-Prime »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:09 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:38 pm Kris, I’m glad to hear your The Orville review. We just started watching. I was dubious but am liking it.
I loved it but due to being overseas only caught the first season. Still, it was more true to Trekdom to me than Discovery and a bunch of the other post-DS9 shows (and even more than DS9 in many ways). Huge fan.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:22 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:09 pm
I loved it but due to being overseas only caught the first season. Still, it was more true to Trekdom to me than Discovery and a bunch of the other post-DS9 shows (and even more than DS9 in many ways). Huge fan.
I hope you'll get to see the rest of it sometime. IMO it just kept getting better.

I used to be a major Trek fan, but DS9 and Voyager both lost me in the later seasons and aside from the first episode of Discovery, I've not seen any of the new shows.
Volkonski
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Volkonski »

Will watch this as soon as I find a site to stream it from.

Warning- article is full of spoilers.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Volkonski »

:o

So will the Doctor have mouse ears?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Exterminate Exterminate Exterminate Exterminate
pipistrelle

What are you watching?

Post by pipistrelle »

I loathe Disney. I haz a major sad.
Phoenix520
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Phoenix520 »

The Peripheral

Based on Wm Gibson’s novel of the same name. I’m a big Gibson fan, first read Neuromancer in the 80s. This is typical Gibson, lots of neural networks and jacking in, but then time travel and and an absolutely amazing set (and wait’ll you get a load of the opening credits! You could screen capture any moment of it and have beautiful art for your walls.)

Three episodes have dropped. The story telling is superb. So is Chloe Grace Moretz and the rest of the cast.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

I don't think this has come up at all. The House of the Dragon. I watched the whole first season. The jury is still out on this one for me. I loved Game of Thrones, but there were characters I liked and some humor. None of that in the Dragons. I heard the second season is late 2023 or early 2024, so I have lots of time to decide if I'm in.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

What are you watching?

Post by RVInit »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:10 pm I don't think this has come up at all. The House of the Dragon. I watched the whole first season. The jury is still out on this one for me. I loved Game of Thrones, but there were characters I liked and some humor. None of that in the Dragons. I heard the second season is late 2023 or early 2024, so I have lots of time to decide if I'm in.
I’m with you on this one. It’s OK but not nearly as good or entertaining as Game of Thrones.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

I watched a documentary called “A Tree of Life: The Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting," this afternoon. I came upon it by accident on HBO. I would highly recommend it.

I'm more aware as I went to school in Squirrel Hill; have attended services at Tree of Life; pass by there; and just that it's in Pittsburgh. Plus, it hits the news here occasionally because of the court proceedings (no trial yet). It was sad, but uplifting.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

What are you watching?

House of Cards. At last Hubby and I got around to it. Addictive.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Cabinet of Curiousities by Guillermo del Toro. On Netflix streaming now.

It's Halloween, and the month for everyone to drop their new horror productions on us. Guillermo as always has a twisted view on things, and quite dependably presents it with deliciously gruesome flair. Eight one hour stories by different directors. I love his intro's where he reprises Alfred Hitchcock at the beginning of each episode.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:18 am Cabinet of Curiousities by Guillermo del Toro. On Netflix streaming now.

It's Halloween, and the month for everyone to drop their new horror productions on us. Guillermo as always has a twisted view on things, and quite dependably presents it with deliciously gruesome flair. Eight one hour stories by different directors. I love his intro's where he reprises Alfred Hitchcock at the beginning of each episode.
I've seen the first 6.

SPOILER:
► Show Spoiler
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:14 am
bill_g wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:18 am Cabinet of Curiousities by Guillermo del Toro. On Netflix streaming now.

I've seen the first 6.

SPOILER:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

God Forbid: The Sex Scandal That Brought Down a Dynasty
A Miami pool boy finds himself trapped in a seven-year affair with a charming older woman and her husband, the Evangelical Trump stalwart Jerry Falwell Jr, as he becomes increasingly entangled with the Falwell’s seemingly perfect lives.
Hulu production:
https://www.hulu.com/movie/god-forbid-t ... -a-dynasty
Slim Cognito
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Slim Cognito »

The Muppet Show, circa 1970s. Just watched episodes with Roy Clark and Gilda Radner.

They were a couple of lovely and extremely talented people.

Watching Gilda Radner singing I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General, with a giant talking carrot - priceless.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Phoenix520 »

I loved Roy Clark.
MN-Skeptic

What are you watching?

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:38 pm I loved Roy Clark.
:lovestruck:

Tiredretiredlawyer

What are you watching?

https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/movi ... -2022.html
Holiday Movie Preview Guide 2022
Get the inside track on these critic-approved films coming to screens this season

Good Night Oppy (in theaters Nov. 4, on Prime Video Nov. 23)
Who needs Wall-E or the Energizer Bunny when you’ve got the real thing — NASA’s plucky little robot Opportunity, sent to Mars (brr!) on a 90-day mission? And Oppy kept going for 15 years, sending back pictures to humans who loved it as much as you will.

ALL of the movies listed look FABULOUS!
MN-Skeptic

What are you watching?

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I haven't watched it yet, but I plan on watching Weird:The Al Yankovic Story this week. It's free at the Roku Channel. I have a Roku stick so I can watch it on my TV, but you can watch it at Roku's website too. By the way, it's a parody of biopics - so not true to life - and there are lots of cameos and songs.

New York Time's review -
Weird Al Yankovic is the most improbable MTV star in modern history: an abstemious accordion player whose family-friendly song parodies have cracked the Top 40 for four straight decades, crowning him the Methuselah of novelty acts. (Compared to Yankovic, the Monkees are a flash in the pan.) “Weird: The Al Yankovic Story,” an uproarious sham biopic starring Daniel Radcliffe, and co-written by Yankovic and the film’s director, Eric Appel, is merely the most recent time the artist has made a joke of his own life from sheltered child to odd teen to rock god.

Earlier gibes at Yankovic’s own implausibility include nearly every interview he’s ever given, as well as a 1985 mockumentary (“The Compleat Al”) produced during the heady days of his “Eat It” single success, and a 2010 glossy drama mock trailer, also directed by Appel, that has now been willed into feature-length existence and padded with more lies.

Like Yankovic’s music, “Weird” is a note-for-note parody of a genre. Here, the target is the prestige biography and its rote rise-and-fall trajectory that’s become so creaky, it could play backup on his album “Polka Party!” The fibs — er, “facts” — are squeezed to fit the formula. When young Al’s mother (Julianne Nicholson) discovers a Hawaiian shirt in his bed, the score swells portentously as though we’re watching Jackie Robinson clench his first baseball bat. If a scene needs Al’s accordion to be slandered as a vomit-inducing devil’s squeezebox, so be it; minutes later, his music might bring a biker to tears, or Madonna (Evan Rachel Wood) to ecstasy, or incite the cops, during the Jim Morrison phase of Yankovic’s career, to arrest him for lewd behavior.

The script deflates any pretensions that Yankovic is a lyrical genius. Teasingly, Appel drags out a sequence where Al, assembling a sandwich, struggles to brainstorm his take on “My Sharona” until the audience is hissing “Bologna!” through its teeth. Later, his mother tries, and fails, to force-feed her oblivious son the libretto for “Fat.” Still, Radcliffe is winningly guileless in his performance, twitching his costume-y eyebrows and mustache like gentle bunny ears even as he lip-syncs “Another One Rides the Bus” with such commitment that his neck veins nearly pop. (The cinematographer Ross Riege is not above backlighting Radcliffe’s wig to resemble a halo.)

It’s a testament to Yankovic’s status in pop culture that the film is crowded with so many celebrity cameos that it could have been titled “It’s a Weird, Weird, Weird, Weird World.” (Yankovic himself appears as the record label executive Tony Scotti, who released Yankovic’s debut album.) Only Weird Al scholars will note the pointed irony in a scene where the musician rejects casting offers to play James Bond and Indiana Jones, franchises that would later dominate the July 1989 box office over his comedy flop, “UHF,” chucking him into a creative tailspin. Those expert level Al-thorities may also be the only ones to realize how much of “Weird” is actually true. Yes, Yankovic did acquire his first accordion from a traveling salesman. Yes, he did record his first hit in a public bathroom. And yes, he did achieve almost instantaneous success. Telling it straight turns out to be Yankovic’s greatest prank.
The article is only five paragraphs long, so I've included it all.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”