What are you watching?

Kendra

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Kendra »

I stumbled across Warren Beatty's Heaven Can Wait on Prime Video. Haven't seen it in decades, but what a treat to see it again.

Luna the kitty cat has taken over mom's recliner, and has settled in with the other laptop and watching bird videos on YouTube. A new favorite past time. :batting:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Mornin Orly, and welcome back! LTNS and sorely missed.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I got the biggest crush on Warren Beatty when that film came out! Love it!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Alert for any classic scify fans out there, Svengoolie is showing Forbidden Planet on June 18. He's on network METV on Saturday nights, 8 Eastern.

Forbidden Planet marks the debut of Robby the Robot. It also has Leslie Nielson (who was originally a dramatic actor) and Ann Francis.

This is one of my favs, along with This Island Earth. But I also arrange my plans around showings of The Ghost and Mr. Chicken so there's that...
forbidden-planet-movie-poster-robby-robot.jpg
forbidden-planet-movie-poster-robby-robot.jpg (234.29 KiB) Viewed 965 times
(not the same head he wears in the movie. Robby has had several different heads in his career, but this movie version is my fav. He also appeared in an episode of Lost in Space, maybe two, and had a quick cameo in Gremlins at the beginning of the movie.)
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

Comet TV has started airing the old episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They have 10 episodes on today, then, starting tomorrow, they'll have two episodes each evening on the week nights. Buffy was a show my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed, mostly the first few years of it. They're just a lot of fun.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Speaking of ye olde Sci Fi like Forbidden Planet, SWMBO and I went to a big screen theatre a couple of weeks ago to see

CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON
In Breath-Taking 3D!
Complete and beautifully restored!

It was a blast, and the theatre was packed.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Eeeeek!!! I used to have a recurring nightmare about the Creature. It was all jumbled up with Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. There were two creatures, 1 evil, 1 good. The Good one and I helped capture the Evil one with a knock-out potion and put him away but he escaped and came looking for me. He found me in our garage but I stepped behind a bicycle tire and became invisibly thin. I awoke when the Good Creature - or was it the Evil Creature? :eek: - said his Evil twin had been captured, and I stepped away from the bike to see…two Creatures.
3D? :faint:
I hope you enjoyed the movie.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Finished up "Lupin III, part 2". Watched the Miyazaki bits twice, but I think there is much more stuff in Lupin that Miyazaki didn't get credited with. Fujiko Mine seemed to be drawn in several styles over the course of the 155 episodes, but in the episodes around the Miyazaki ones she looked like the Fujiko in Castle of Cagliostro.

A lot of Lupin is so surreal (the opening credits have a cameo by the Yellow Submarine) that I need to fight withdrawal, so I am now watching The Avengers (1961-forever in our hearts). The 60's were weird enough plus the show has a lot in common with radio stuff like "The Man Called X" and that was long before in the late 40's.

Wikipedia has note on a problem that always pops up and bugs me in spy movies.
Wikipedia wrote:Series scriptwriter Dennis Spooner said that the series would frequently feature Steed visiting busy public places such as the main airport in London without anyone else present in the scene: "'Can't you afford extras?', they'd ask. Well, it wasn't like that. It's just that Steed had to be alone to be accepted. Put him in a crowd and he sticks out like a sore thumb! Let's face it, with normal people he's weird. The trick to making him acceptable is never to show him in a normal world, just fighting villains who are odder than he is!"
Just think of Arnold Schwarzenegger or Dwayne Johnson. Or Alan Ritchson.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Still watching Perry Mason. See our fashion thread for my post about what to wear to court.

Here is an interesting article which sums up what I have learned thus far watching the series, plus a few surprises.
https://www.directexpose.com/perry-maso ... -series/2/
WALK OF FAMEPerry Mason Facts: Things You Didn’t Know About the Classic TV Series

Long before the days of “Law & Order” and “Boston Legal,” there was another sexy courtroom drama that had the world glued to its TV screens. From the iconic music to the glamorous actors and compelling plot lines, there has hardly been a series as recognizable to generation after generation than the legendary “Perry Mason.” The prolific show centered around the alluring master criminal defense lawyer made solving murder look so good that the series went on for decades in syndication. These days, mention of the man, the legend, the lawyer stirs sentiments of nostalgic reminiscence. But, all hope is not lost! We’ve brought back the best of Perry Mason to reveal some of the most amazing facts behind the epic series. Read on to find out more about Perry Mason, Della Street and all the intrigue surrounding the beloved vintage classic.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

As noted above, I'm a Svengoolie fan and one of his running gags, when he does his cast review, is the joke about how many B monster movie actors wound up doing episodes of Perry Mason. It's probably over 80%.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I was a huge fan of the show, and I read all the books, too. I had such a crush on Raymond Burr.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:23 am Eeeeek!!! I used to have a recurring nightmare about the Creature. It was all jumbled up with Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. There were two creatures, 1 evil, 1 good. The Good one and I helped capture the Evil one with a knock-out potion and put him away but he escaped and came looking for me. He found me in our garage but I stepped behind a bicycle tire and became invisibly thin. I awoke when the Good Creature - or was it the Evil Creature? :eek: - said his Evil twin had been captured, and I stepped away from the bike to see…two Creatures.
When I was 9, in the late 70s, it was a semi-regular feature on the Creature Feature slot on one of the local cable channels in South Florida, and my late uncle -- he'd have been, oh, in his mid-20s at the time, early in his career as a pharmacist -- had just relocated down to SoFla from NYC and stayed with us for a little while, so he and I could curl up on the living room sofabed and watch Creature Feature and I *would* have been terrified by the Creature, but my uncle was there to to protect me.

Until the day he died, my method of shaming him when he was being a right nitwit was to remind him that 9 year old me would have been very disappointed in him.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I can't believe I forgot about the gill-man. I even have a T-shirt with the movie poster. It always gets lots of smiles and comments, including an older gentleman (my age) saying, "Best white swimsuit ever."

ImageImageImage x4
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:08 am Alert for any classic scify fans out there, Svengoolie is showing Forbidden Planet on June 18. He's on network METV on Saturday nights, 8 Eastern.

Forbidden Planet marks the debut of Robby the Robot. It also has Leslie Nielson (who was originally a dramatic actor) and Ann Francis.

This is one of my favs, along with This Island Earth. But I also arrange my plans around showings of The Ghost and Mr. Chicken so there's that...

:snippity:
(not the same head he wears in the movie. Robby has had several different heads in his career, but this movie version is my fav. He also appeared in an episode of Lost in Space, maybe two, and had a quick cameo in Gremlins at the beginning of the movie.)
Robbie is still around. I found an online article from Nov. 2017, that said it had just sold at auction, for more than $5M.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/robby-the- ... 5-million/
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:23 am Eeeeek!!! I used to have a recurring nightmare about the Creature. It was all jumbled up with Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. There were two creatures, 1 evil, 1 good. The Good one and I helped capture the Evil one with a knock-out potion and put him away but he escaped and came looking for me. He found me in our garage but I stepped behind a bicycle tire and became invisibly thin. I awoke when the Good Creature - or was it the Evil Creature? :eek: - said his Evil twin had been captured, and I stepped away from the bike to see…two Creatures.
I think that a sequel ( not "Revenge of the Creature" though) has that plot (a good Gillman and an evil Gillman). Maybe you saw it when your half asleep and absorbed it as a dream?

OK, I'm glad I checked before I submitted that sentence above because neither of the two sequels had that plot. But where did I see that plot. Maybe it was a proposal for yet another sequel that never got up and I read it in a magazine somewhere? I dunno.

OK, I found it. From Wikipedia:
In 1982, John Landis wanted Jack Arnold to direct a remake of the film, and Nigel Kneale was commissioned to write the screenplay. Kneale completed the script, which involved a pair of creatures, one destructive and the other calm and sensitive, being persecuted by the United States Navy.[11] A decision to make the film in 3D led to the remake being canceled by producers at Universal, both for budgetary concerns and to avoid a clash with Jaws 3-D.[11]
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:o
John Landis, of all people. He made one of my all-time favorite movies, too: Into the Night.

Was he dreamsdropping? I was living in Hollywood at that time. :?

ETA I first had the dream in around 61.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

HBO documentary The Janes. About the underground abortion network pre-Roe, which will come back after the Catholic Religious Priests on the SC outlaw abortion for all even though a large majority support it. There will always be abortions. It's just that they will kill so many women. Is that what Republicans and religious fanatics want?
June bug

Post by June bug »

SuzieC wrote: :snippity:
It’s just that they will kill so many women. Is that what Republicans and religious fanatics want?
Yes.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:28 am Still watching Perry Mason. See our fashion thread for my post about what to wear to court.

Here is an interesting article which sums up what I have learned thus far watching the series, plus a few surprises.
Little known fact: there is a horse, either real or depicted via sculpture/painting etc., in every episode.

Raymond Burr (and his partner, Robert Benevides) owned an orchid nursery, Sea God Nursery. He grew orchids on a private island in Fiji, but he advertised in the American Orchid Society Bulletin as being located in Geyserville, California.

https://canadafreepress.com/article/ray ... nd-vintner
Tiredretiredlawyer

Azastan wrote about Perry Mason: there is a horse, either real or depicted via sculpture/painting etc., in every episode.
I have seen the horse art in his office and his apartment and the shows with horses in the main themes. I shall look more closely to see if the audience is being "Alfred Hitchcocked". :biggrin:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:56 am

I have seen the horse art in his office and his apartment and the shows with horses in the main themes. I shall look more closely to see if the audience is being "Alfred Hitchcocked". :biggrin:
Sometimes the horse is a barely noticeable figurine on a shelf, or a framed print on a wall. But there's always a horse.

I don't know if Burr grew orchids before The Case of the Silent Partner, but I suspect not. I do think it piqued his interest in them. I don't know which nursery was used (I suspect Armacost and Royston, but have no proof of this). There were several large orchid nurseries in southern California at the time TCotSP was filmed (1957).
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Watched the first episode of the third season of
For All Mankind. I loved it but you certainly need the backstory (season 1 & 2) to really understand the characters.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

I got Paramount+ at a special rate for 3 months to watch "Star Trek: Picard" (enjoyed it very much), so I kept it and am also enjoying "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds". I'm also confusing myself by watching "Star Trek: Discovery", which is a prequel to "Strange New Worlds" and has some of the same characters. I'm in the 2nd season of Discovery which has lots of strong female characters.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Reading twitter posts about Putin and Russia’s ultimate goals for this conflict has brought me to The Ascent of Man. I didn’t watch it when it was new (no TV) so it’s all new to me.

Russia claims Ukraine as part of their historical territory but Kiev is 800 years older than Russia. I want to see the world unfold as told by Bronowski.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”