Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Maybenaut »

:roll:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:46 pm J.K.Rowling writes about Harry's family and where the money came from here-

https://www.wizardingworld.com/writing- ... ter-family
Thanks. A back story complete with geneology. The Potters were a thrifty lot.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

In time for the holidays!!!!!! Don't let that crazy uncle or aunt get you all riled up! Ignore them and bait them at the same time!

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/reno-9 ... 235114288/
‘Reno 911’ Special ‘The Hunt for QAnon’ Gets Premiere Date on Paramount Plus (EXCLUSIVE)

The special will air on the streamer starting Dec. 23. It follows the deputies of the Reno Sheriff’s Department as they hunt for Q, the one behind all the QAnon conspiracies. Their efforts cause them to get stuck at a QAnon convention at sea, ultimately escaping only to discover that they’ve landed at Jeffrey Epstein’s old island.

The first teaser and key art for the new special can be found below.

The entire original cast of “Reno 911!” will reunite for the special, namely Thomas Lennon, Robert Ben Garant, Kerri Kenney-Silver, Cedric Yarbrough, Carlos Alazraqui, Wendi McLendon-Covey, and Niecy Nash, along with Mary Birdsong and Ian Roberts, who joined the show later in its run.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

We happened to find The Restaurant on Amazon Prime, Season 1 is free there just until 11/30, Sundance Now. 10 parts in Season 1. It's Downtown Abbey-ish, takes place in Stockholm after WWII. We're really enjoying it. Only Season 1 is Prime, there are four seasons. Don't know if they'll be adding Season 2 after 11/30, hadn't heard of it. Looks like a 7 day trial of Sundance Now or AMC+ is available for other seasons.

Described as the next DOWNTON ABBEY, this sprawling ensemble drama begins at the end of WWII and runs across two decades, following the ever-changing lives of the Löwander family and the popular restaurant they run.

Note in the press:
Fans of The Restaurant (Vår tid är nu), rejoice! By this time tomorrow, your wait for the award-winning Swedish drama’s fourth season — a special mini-season called The Restaurant: 1951 — will be over.

For folks who may not be familiar with The Restaurant, it’s a fabulous Swedish period drama, one of my favorite Euro TV premieres of 2018, that follows the lives of the Löwander family and the staff of their restaurant in Stockholm. The show has been likened to Downton Abbey, given its family dramas, a forbidden relationship, and a formidable matriarch who rules the roost (albeit without hilarious zingers).

If you haven’t had the pleasure of watching The Restaurant yet, allow me to recommend that, after you finish Season 1 (which opens in 1945), you jump to Season 4, that is The Restaurant: 1951, before moving on to Seasons 2 and 3 (which open in 1955 and 1968, respectively).
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
filly

Post by filly »

We watched King Richard on HBO max. Very enjoyable.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

The Shrink Next Door on AppleTV+. Limited series with Will Farrell and Paul Rudd.

It’s a fictionalization account of real events. I listened to the podcast on which it is based awhile back. It’s about a guy whose psychiatrist completely took over his life, including his home and his business. I’m two episodes in. It’s pretty good.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Big Sky on ABC (Hulu)

Another cowboy cop show from a northern state (Montana), this time by David E. Kelley. Katheryn Winnick (Lagertha from Vikings), Ryan Philippe (killed off in first episode), and a host of character actors you’ll recognize.

Two women PIs who once were cops take on corrupt sheriffs and long haul truckers trafficking women and children out of Helena MT. It takes a while to get it all unraveled. Season 1 has 16 episodes - watching 16 tonight - and Season 2 just dropped episode 5.

Recommend. Good, not fabulous like Longmire.
filly

Post by filly »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:44 am The Shrink Next Door on AppleTV+. Limited series with Will Farrell and Paul Rudd.

It’s a fictionalization account of real events. I listened to the podcast on which it is based awhile back. It’s about a guy whose psychiatrist completely took over his life, including his home and his business. I’m two episodes in. It’s pretty good.
A fabulous podcast.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Ozark on Netflix.... Lead is Jason Bateman all grown up.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

The Nightengale on Netflix streaming now.

Powerful, passionate, and not for the faint hearted. A dramatization of the harsh and cruel life in the early colonization of Tasmania by the English. By no means a happy ending story.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_nightingale_2019
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts ... ntary.html
Louis Armstrong’s Only, and Secret, Child Opens Up in ‘Little Satchmo’
In documentary, Sharon Preston-Folta shares recordings and letters from her father

Louis Armstrong was an influential jazz figure whose career spanned five decades across the history of the genre. “If anybody was Mr. Jazz, it was Louis Armstrong,” Duke Ellington once said. “He was the epitome of Jazz and always will be. He is what I call an American standard, an American original.”

But beyond that powerhouse facade was a secret that was only revealed to the world in 2012 — that Armstrong had a daughter with a mistress, Lucille Preston, a dancer at the Cotton Club. Because of this, Armstrong never publicly acknowledged Sharon Preston-Folta, who revealed her father to the world in her memoir, Little Satchmo: Living in the Shadow of My Father, Louis Daniel Armstrong. That book served as the basis for this documentary, Little Satchmo. In it, Preston-Folta, Armstrong’s only child, shares recordings and letters from her father, decades after his death.

While Armstrong was known to be a lothario — he was married four times and had hundreds of affairs — to the world, he had no children. In fact, when he died in 1971, his wife signed an affidavit to the court stating that he had no children.

But behind the scenes, he would send money, letters and recordings to Preston, with messages for Preston-Folta, according to a December 2012 New York Times report. In letters written in 1954, Armstrong, whose nickname was “Satchmo,” professes his love for Preston and refers to her pregnancy as his “little Satchmo.” According to The New York Times, Armstrong also bought a house in New York for Preston and Preston-Folta, and put away $25,000 for a college education, but he took the secret to his grave.

“Publicly fawning over a child fathered with his mistress wasn’t exactly an option for Louis Armstrong. He wanted to be a father, but we all had to keep it secret,” Preston-Folta says in the documentary.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Thanks about the Satchmo docu, we're definitely going to watch that!

Disney+ has been fun, love the behind the scenes stories. They have Walt's intro to Disneyland a few weeks before the opening, amazing what they did.

Here's another gift, just found it! A $60.00 value --

Sprint and TMobile are giving a FREE YEAR of a movie service called Paramount+. It’s new and classic movies, TV shows and tons of stuff. It’s all CBS shows including the NFL, even the old classics like Hawaii Five 0 from the sixties. :dance: It's a TON of programming. It’s usually $4.95 a month but it’s a free holiday gift. What a deal! https://www.paramountplus.com/

Here’s the link for Sprint & T-Mobile customers. No strings attached, it’s a free year and then cancel.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/paramount-plus-deal then https://promotions.t-mobile.com/ParamountPlus

Feel free to share it with anybody who has TMobile or Sprint. Let me know if you get the offer, it'll be fun. :bighug: :popcorn:

The fine print (think we're going to get the coupon and activate it at the end of the month so we remember and get next T-Days programming, we have the free Disney+, Kanopy and other free programming):
► Show Spoiler
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
bob

Post by bob »

Thanks! Now I can catch up on my Star Trek (guilt free). :towel:
Image ImageImage
filly

Post by filly »

orlylicious wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:06 pm Thanks about the Satchmo docu, we're definitely going to watch that!

Disney+ has been fun, love the behind the scenes stories. They have Walt's intro to Disneyland a few weeks before the opening, amazing what they did.

Here's another gift, just found it! A $60.00 value --

Sprint and TMobile are giving a FREE YEAR of a movie service called Paramount+. It’s new and classic movies, TV shows and tons of stuff. It’s all CBS shows including the NFL, even the old classics like Hawaii Five 0 from the sixties. :dance: It's a TON of programming. It’s usually $4.95 a month but it’s a free holiday gift. What a deal! https://www.paramountplus.com/

Here’s the link for Sprint & T-Mobile customers. No strings attached, it’s a free year and then cancel.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/paramount-plus-deal then https://promotions.t-mobile.com/ParamountPlus

Feel free to share it with anybody who has TMobile or Sprint. Let me know if you get the offer, it'll be fun. :bighug: :popcorn:

The fine print (think we're going to get the coupon and activate it at the end of the month so we remember and get next T-Days programming, we have the free Disney+, Kanopy and other free programming):
► Show Spoiler

THANKS ALOT FOR GETTING ME HOOKED ON “THE RESTAURANT .” I WOULD NOT SAY IT IS TGE NEXT DOWNTON ABBEY BUT IT IS INTRIGUING WITH GREAT STORY LINES AND NOW I WILL WIND UP WATCHING THE ONE WEEK FREE TRIAL AND MAYBE PAY FOR THE NEXT SEASONS. YOU OWE ME 7BUCKS!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Happy you like it too, Filly! Watch Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on Amazon -- heard a rumor that Sundance Now and/or AMC+ are going to have 99 cents a month Amazon promos. So maybe it will save me $6.01! :lovestruck: :bighug:
filly

Post by filly »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:35 am Happy you like it too, Filly! Watch Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on Amazon -- heard a rumor that Sundance Now and/or AMC+ are going to have 99 cents a month Amazon promos. So maybe it will save me $6.01! :lovestruck: :bighug:
Great news! Even Mr. Filly loves the show and this is a guy who wouldn’t watch anything with subtitles two short years ago!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Rumor was true! :thumbsup:

Amazon Prime Video: The ecommerce giant is offering a range of channels for 99 cents/month for up to two months, including: Starz, Paramount Plus Premium, Showtime, Discovery Plus, AMC Plus, Epix, PBS Masterpiece, Noggin, Britbox, Allblk, Lifetime Movie Club, Motortrend and more. The offers end Nov. 29. Britbox is on the list too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/storefront/ and scroll down for the 99 cent channel deals.

Here are others -- links are in the story at https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/b ... 235119002/ Note: Cheaper to get AMC+ (and others) on Amazon than on AMC's and the others own sites except the free 30 days of Showtime. Haven't seen HBO Max yet.
Black Friday Streaming Deals: Discounts on Hulu, Prime Video, Paramount Plus, Peacock and More
By Todd Spangler

Multibillion-dollar media conglomerates continue to slug it out for share of the streaming market — and entertainment fans can benefit from the fracas this Black Friday, with a slew of limited-time special offers and promotions.

Here are the best 2021 Black Friday deals on streaming services in the U.S., engineered to get consumers in the door in the hopes they’ll remain paying subs after the price discounts or free trials roll off.

Hulu: Get one year of Hulu’s ad-supported VOD service for 99 cents/month (regularly $6.99/month), in an offer that runs through Nov. 29 at this link.
Paramount Plus: Get one month free of the ad-supported Essential ($4.99/month after trial) or ad-free Premium ($9.99/month) plans at this link. Offer ends Nov. 29, 2021.
Discovery Plus: Get the first three months of the ad-supported plan for 99 cents/month (regularly $4.99/month), available at this link. After the first three months, subscriptions will auto-renew at the regular Discovery Plus (Ad-Lite) plan price of $4.99/month.
Peacock: Get the Peacock Premium ad-supported plan for $2.49/month for six months (50% off the regular $4.99/month), using the code “TODAY” when you sign up at peacocktv.com.
Amazon Prime Video: The ecommerce giant is offering a range of channels for 99 cents/month for up to two months, including: Starz, Paramount Plus Premium, Showtime, Discovery Plus, AMC Plus, Epix, PBS Masterpiece, Noggin, Britbox, Allblk, Lifetime Movie Club, Motortrend and more. The offers end Nov. 29. More info at this link.
Showtime: 30-day free trial then $3.99/month for four months (after which the standard $10.99/month pricing kicks in), available at this link. The offer is available through Nov. 30, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. PT.
Starz: Get three months of service for $5/month (regularly $8.99/month) available at this link. Offer available to new Starz subscribers and to previous subscribers who resubscribe online; does not include free trial.
AMC Plus: Get the service at the discounted rate of $1.99/month with an annual commitment ($23.88/year), a 72% savings over the regular pricing of $83.88/year, for a limited time at amcplus.com.
Philo: New subscribers (and those who not received a free trial of the service) can get a $20 discount on their first month of service for the internet TV service. Philo, which provides more than 60 cable TV channels and programming (excluding sports, news and local TV), is regularly $25/month. The promotion begins at 12:01 a.m. PT on Nov. 25, 2021, and runs through 11:59 p.m. PT on Dec. 1. Enter code “BFCM” (or visit this link) to redeem the offer. Separately, Philo is offering a free 30-day trial for customers who sign up via Microsoft Edge for a limited time.

SNL's really funny sketch on trying to cancel cable TV --

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Daughter, SIL and I watched the first 2 episodes of "The Wheel of Time" last night on Prime Video. SIL has read all 14 books it is based on so he can explain what is going on when things get complicated. ;)

Only the first 3 episodes are currently available. The rest will be available next year.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

One Christmas, one of my brothers gave me the first three books of the Wheel of Time.

The other brother said, "Man, that's just mean."
Image Image Image Image
Luke

Post by Luke »

Here are some updates about The Restaurant, we finished the 10 episodes in Season 1 (which is free on Amazon Prime until Nov 30) and looked around to see more about it. There are 32 episodes, the show is finished filming. Last year, they released a four-part Season 4, which picks up in 1951 where Season 1 leaves off. https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... _select_s4 That's what the writer was talking about above. So after Season 1, Watch Season 4, then go back to Seasons 2 & 3. It's definitely on AMC+, and they do have a 7 day free trial at https://www.amcplus.com/pages/international. But the Amazon deal is 99 cents a month so not as much of a rush.

On Amazon with the Black Friday deal:
$0.99/month for 2 month(s) and $8.99/month thereafter
Watch with AMC + Start your subscription
Or
Included with Sundance Now on Amazon for $6.99/month after 7 day free trial
They sure make all these complicated. Guess can get the Sundance from 11/24-29 then switch to AMC+ (Offer ends November 29)

The show's website is https://kontakt.svt.se/guide/var-tid-ar-nu (translate to English) and was originally called Our Time Is Now. And there's a recipes page at https://www.svt.se/recept/program/var-tid-ar-nu, yummy looking.

Recipes.JPG
Recipes.JPG (149.19 KiB) Viewed 797 times

Here's the original trailer. It's beautifully shot and we love Scandanavia so it's been terrific. It takes on subject matter for that post-war period that was surprising. The show’s first season won the Kristallen Award for Best Swedish TV drama. If you've got Prime, worth checking the first episodes, you might enjoy it too. Won't keep posting about it, just wanted to share the info about the seasons and the Black Friday pricing.

filly

Post by filly »

Thanks ! I am binging as fast as I can...then will take the deal! It’s very action packed, never a dull moment.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I an dizzy with confusion over subscribing to streaming services I now subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Paramount, Peacock, and all those affiliated. Yet I still can't see shows that I want to see. For example Son highly recommends new Tom Hanks film about Merchant Marines in WWII. It is only available on Apple TV which I do not subscribe to. Also the best new movies come out on HBOmax which is the most expensive of the streaming services. WHERE WILL ALL THIS STREAMING END?

Sorry for rant but our TV bill is getting out of control and I am wondering if anyone has recommendatins for the best TV at the lowest price.
Lani

Post by Lani »

SuzieC wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:02 pm
Sorry for rant but our TV bill is getting out of control and I am wondering if anyone has recommendatins for the best TV at the lowest price.
I still just have routine cable, plus kid & I share Netflix which I don't use often. Awhile back, I planned to cancelled Spectrum cable (and keep the internet), but couldn't make a choice. I was about to switch to youtube for awhile, but now it's almost as much as Spectrum. Like Suzie, I'm very interesting in hearing what others others have chosen and why.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

neonzx wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:08 am Ozark on Netflix.... Lead is Jason Bateman all grown up.
That is a great show. The last season is coming in January, but it will be split into two parts. Each part will have 7 episodes. Bateman says the ending will be satisfying. I don't know how far you are into Ozark, but I will say each of the first three seasons is excellent! I may watch them over again before January.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Just watching Lupin III. Our hero, his hands cuffed, reaches into his jacket and pulls out his Walther P38. He grips the slide in his teeth to rack it, then shoots the villain. Yes, he may be an international thief, cold blooded and ruthless, but he doesn't carry a gun around with a round in the chamber! Safety first!

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”