Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

The Roku Channel has an amazing number of shows we would watch. We are savoring The Mentalist - one episode almost every evening with dinner.

I have four episodes of Hell on Wheels left, and my dislike for AMC has grown exponentially. I finished season four before cancelling my 7 day trial of AMC+. Afterwards, they made it as difficult to watch season five as possible. AND they made two pivotal episodes pay-per-view only. I truely love some of their programming, and I don't mind watching commercials, but paying them a monthly reoccuring fee ain't going to happen. They pissed me off too many times in the past.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

The Mentalist is a great show!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Comfort TV time, watching The Partridge Family thanks to Prime Video. I know it's fluff and silly and all, but Shirley Jones and David Cassidy :thumbsup:

Slightly OT, but this Columbo Fan is :thumbsup: on this artwork.

https://www. facebook.com/columbophile/posts/pfbid0HqMRkZp8VnMKwA1XC4JvHjur4iCmaK8rUj3HrnaKMXWa2gFmaSAjodc1XMfDPd88l

Link won't work and thus broken, so image *borrowed from FB":
Attachments
columboa.jpg
columboa.jpg (206.43 KiB) Viewed 681 times
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
mojosapien
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

mojosapien
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

James Hunter
mojosapien
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

mojosapien
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

mojosapien
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

mojosapien
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Okey, just going to throw this here since Boston Legal came up and I've been watching greatest hits clips.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Season 1, episode 1 of Columbo aired on NBC 51 years ago today. Named Murder By The Book, it was directed by STEVEN SPIELBERG.
I love this episode.

Minor trivia, Martin Milner's co-star was Jack Cassidy. Later when Milner was on Adam 12, there's an episode with Jack's then very young son David (be still my heart) overdosing and Martin on the scene.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Columbo. There is so much good trivia about the advent of that show which you can find online. Including where that signature trenchcoat came from -- Falk bought it himself. Go look it up. :lol:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Given the current circumstances I decided to check out "The Crown." It's really good and quite interesting. Like most docudrama, though, it takes a fair amount of liberties with its "facts". I generally watch shows like this with my tablet nearby so if something just seems too good, poignant, convenient or otherwise suspicious I can do a quick fact check.

Anyway, I got through the first 5 episodes tonight. I thought I'd only watched like 3 or so but discovered my next one up is 6, so I'd say it does a good job of holding attention and doesn't drag on very much :biggrin:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

I've been rolling through seasons of "American Horror Story" on Prime. I don't know how I missed/ignored it back then in the early 2010s. Yeah, it's creepy TV-MA so not for the squeamish, but really good. Currently on season 5 -- Lady Gaga has a prominent role. Season 4 had Neil Patrick Harris for a part in several episodes. Each season is a totally different story with new characters, but many of the same actors play parts.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:22 am I've been rolling through seasons of "American Horror Story" on Prime. I don't know how I missed/ignored it back then in the early 2010s. Yeah, it's creepy TV-MA so not for the squeamish, but really good. Currently on season 5 -- Lady Gaga has a prominent role. Season 4 had Neil Patrick Harris for a part in several episodes. Each season is a totally different story with new characters, but many of the same actors play parts.
AHS is great. Loved the concept of a focused story each season with the same ensemble cast in new roles. It was almost TV theater. Hotel with Lady Gaga is awesome. She was perfect for the lead. Circus was another good season. Totally creepy Killer Clown. You have to wonder about the mental stability of the writers of shows like this when their imaginations can go to these places.
► Show Spoiler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

All great picks, from Boston Legal to The Crown to Columbo to AHS. The Crown is wonderful in seeing the different actresses over the generations. They were in production and stopped out of respect for the circumstances.

The Great British Baking Show is back and for the first time, it's simultaneously on both Channel 4 in the UK and on Netflix. On Netflix it's Collection 10, on Channel 4 it's Series 6 (it's complicated why, but they are the same episodes). They'll be releasing an episode each week so today is E1 and E2 is Sep 23. On Channel 4, it's called The Great British Bake Off. They love to make it complicated. :lol:

Series 6 Episode 1
Britain's best amateur bakers compete in the iconic white tent - all united in their aim to prove their baking skills and impress judges Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith
It's cake week, and the brand new batch of bakers tackle mini cakes, a striking sponge and a scaled-down version of a home close to their hearts

Channel 4 link: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the ... /74086-001
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Morbius streaming on Netflix now. Two thumbs down. Rotten Tomatoes agrees.

Ugh. I cannot believe I watched it all the way through. It broke my first rule: No vampires. But, since it was a Marvel Production, I gave it latitude thinking they might offer a new perspective. No. Not at all. This was a retread on so many levels.

Brilliant scientist deliberately injects himself with a genetically altered serum that turns him into a raging blood thirsty violent vampire with Olympic strength and agility. His core ethics prevent him from draining the entire city of New York making him the "good" vampire feeding only when he "needs" to. This is opposed by his nememis the "bad" vampire, a patron familiar with his research that stole and used the serum on himself, who had no qualms with feasting as often as he could. Though this dichotomy a necessary story element in all superhero movies, it just added one more predictable layer to this onion.

I could almost mouth the script as it progressed. Saw it through it to the end. The only thing that really captured me was how they changed Jared Leto's body back and forth from an emaciated sack of bones to a muscled killer. The CGI was convincing. He went from needing a taco to Jason Momoa in an instant, and then back again as the situations calmed down. Technically interesting, seamless, and well done. Otherwise this a series that will end up on the ash heap.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

bill_g wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:04 am Morbius streaming on Netflix now. Two thumbs down. Rotten Tomatoes agrees.

Ugh. I cannot believe I watched it all the way through. It broke my first rule: No vampires. But, since it was a Marvel Production, I gave it latitude thinking they might offer a new perspective. No. Not at all. This was a retread on so many levels.

Brilliant scientist deliberately injects himself with a genetically altered serum that turns him into a raging blood thirsty violent vampire with Olympic strength and agility. His core ethics prevent him from draining the entire city of New York making him the "good" vampire feeding only when he "needs" to. This is opposed by his nememis the "bad" vampire, a patron familiar with his research that stole and used the serum on himself, who had no qualms with feasting as often as he could. Though this dichotomy a necessary story element in all superhero movies, it just added one more predictable layer to this onion.

I could almost mouth the script as it progressed. Saw it through it to the end. The only thing that really captured me was how they changed Jared Leto's body back and forth from an emaciated sack of bones to a muscled killer. The CGI was convincing. He went from needing a taco to Jason Momoa in an instant, and then back again as the situations calmed down. Technically interesting, seamless, and well done. Otherwise this a series that will end up on the ash heap.
Yahoo Movies
Jared Leto lost and gained weight for 'Morbius,' and commitment was 'terrifying to see' for co-star

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jar ... 23268.html
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:54 am
Yahoo Movies
Jared Leto lost and gained weight for 'Morbius,' and commitment was 'terrifying to see' for co-star

Thanks! That means the film and continuity editors worked their butts off. They get top marks for effort.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:04 am Morbius streaming on Netflix now. Two thumbs down. Rotten Tomatoes agrees.

That is how I feel about Zombie movies. It's been done 100 different ways and they are all now a bore.

But, you did enjoy the Hotel Castro AHS season, which was, in part, vampire based -- however had good storytelling and acting. :biggrin:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I'm catching up on old "new" Doctor Who. Death in Heaven has a great line from The Doctor:
KATE: The President is on board.
DOCTOR: Mind you, me and Sylvia Anderson, you've never seen a foxtrot like it. Hang on a second. The President? We don't want Americans bobbing around the place. They'll only start praying.
:lol:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:54 am
Yahoo Movies

I'm almost surprised he was willing to do that since when he did a movie where he played John Lennon's assassin, he gained quite a bit of weight for the role and for some time after (and possibly still - haven't heard him say anything lately) had problems with gout as a result.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

orlylicious wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:01 pm All great picks, from Boston Legal to The Crown to Columbo to AHS. The Crown is wonderful in seeing the different actresses over the generations. They were in production and stopped out of respect for the circumstances.
They *are* planning to resume production, correct? I should be very much disappointed if we don't get to see the whole story - though it's certainly appropriate to have shut down for a time in respect for her passing.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Lou on Netflix streaming. Just came out.

Tough old gal with no super powers takes on the world, saves the child, and vanquishes the foe. If you like strong female leads in action thrillers, this is a good choice. And of course, since it's a USian movie, there's a happy ending. Totally formulaic in that respect. Otherwise, it has some unexpected moments in it that keep it fresh.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”