Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

filly

Re: What are you watching?

Post by filly »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:54 am
filly wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:09 am
filly wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:15 amWhite Lotus.
I just started watching this but I am very intrigued.
I loved it. But I probably wouldn’t watch a second season.
Good to know.
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

I hear you keith, but it's a different deal when you're in or around the business. Reality TV put a few of my friends out of work. When you're a scriptwriter, words are important. It's kinda like the difference between jumping into the back of a cab or a technology company exploiting cheap labor providing their own vehicles.

I binged through the fourth and purportedly final season of Goliath. I won't post any spoilers but it was enough to keep me watching.

- The courtroom scenes were fun but probably cringeworthy to most lawyers.

- The dream sequences gave me bad flashbacks of an entirely worthless season of the Sopranos.

- That was the weirdest, most stylized and CGI'd version of San Francisco I'd ever seen in my life. I'd kinda like to visit. Especially for the constant rain. How did they dream up that? It hasn't rained like that in Frisco in 40 years, 40 days and 40 nights.

- Lotta drinkin' and smokin' and cussin' and all that good stuff.

- Edit to add: forget which episode, it was getting to the end, but it opened with a little kid's show vignette that went off the tracks. So nice I had to see it twice. The best anti-opioid PSA I've ever seen, it should be on heavy rotation on every NFL game. Brilliant. Just say no to drugs.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

neonzx wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:59 am
bill_g wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:50 am Season 41 of Survivor is now on CBS.
► Show Spoiler
Season 41? It hasn't been going on that long haz it?? The Simpsons have not run that long(yet).
Firefly died because of Survivor.

I wish all evil things on Survivor.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:53 pm Sort of binge-watched "Midnight Mass" on Netflix. Horror, exploring religion, afterlife, sin, grief, redemption, and addiction. There are some long monologues, which I enjoyed, but it might be preachy for some. Although there were hints, I wasn't sure where it was going after the first three (out of seven) episodes. I'm glad I stayed with it. If I'd known what form the evil came in, I might not have watched as it's not one of my favorite horror genres, but I won't say what it was.
I'm on episode 5 tonight.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Anyone else remembers the animated series "Top Cat"?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:50 pm Anyone else remembers the animated series "Top Cat"?
Barely. Wasn't it sort of "Boston Blackie"-esq?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

No, more like Yogi Bear.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:50 pm Anyone else remembers the animated series "Top Cat"?
I had a Benny the Ball action figure. My sister had Officer Dibble.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

And did they have a baby? :confuzzled:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Loved Top Cat!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Wait, their baby was TOP CAT? :stars:

Was there some sort of horrible accident? :eek:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

I'm coming late to this thread, and haven't read all the prior pages, but my wife and I have been watching Designated Survivor on Netflix, and loved the first season. The second season is not as good, but we're still watching. (The premise is that a terrorist attack takes out the entire Capitol during the State of the Union address, and only the Secretary of HUD [Kiefer Sutherland] is left in the line of presidential succession.)

We've also been watching Borgen (also on Netflix), a Danish series about a woman who becomes Prime Minister of Denmark after a fluke election.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Dr. Caligari wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:24 pm I'm coming late to this thread, and haven't read all the prior pages, but my wife and I have been watching Designated Survivor on Netflix, and loved the first season. The second season is not as good, but we're still watching. (The premise is that a terrorist attack takes out the entire Capitol during the State of the Union address, and only the Secretary of HUD [Kiefer Sutherland] is left in the line of presidential succession.)

We've also been watching Borgen (also on Netflix), a Danish series about a woman who becomes Prime Minister of Denmark after a fluke election.
Sounds a bit like that old Kris Kristofferson mini series from the previous millennia AMERIKA.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I think it originally aired on ABC. I watched the first few seasons, and then quit when the former guy took over. Kiefer Sutherland was just too decent a president to compare ii to what had become reality.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

SEE Good but kinda dark; pun only semi intended. Set ~5 centuries in the future a virus in the 21st century wiped out most of humanity and left the survivors sightless. But vision may be returning for a small minority.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Going to 4 centuries in the past, I’ve enjoyed watching “Upstart Crow”. While at first it seemed to be mocking Shakespeare, it actually (to me) is almost an homage. It gives a perspective of the era it took place, with anachronistic humor that manages to relate somewhat to the present.
It sparked an interest in Shakespeare I didn’t have before.
It’s not truly historical but has insights into the times
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

This insult in one episode is so subtle.
“You are like he who gives support (patron), like that which sweetens all that it covers (icing). You are a great poet (bard) and alike the heavens (starred).”
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bn-virtual ... =tds3rjqdu
B&N Virtually Presents: Billy Porter to discuss UNPROTECTED!
by Barnes & Noble
OCT 20

$35.10
Actions and Detail Panel

Share this event
Tickets
Event Information

Barnes & Noble welcomes the incomparable Emmy, Grammy, and Tony Award winner, Billy Porter, to virtually discuss his memoir, UNPROTECTED!
About this event
Join Barnes & Noble as we welcome acclaimed recording artist, actor (most recently on the TV series, Pose), playwright, director, and all-around legend, Billy Porter, for a live, virtual discussion of UNPROTECTED, a powerful and revealing autobiography about race, sexuality, art, and healing.

He will be in conversation with TBD.
This event will air as a Zoom Webinar. It will not air on the Eventbrite site itself. Access to the event will become available on the night of the event, Wednesday, October 20, at 7 PM ET / 6 PM CT / 5 PM MT / 4 PM PT.

Book with Signed Bookplate Admission - $35.10 (Admission + Signed Bookplate + Book/tax/US-Based shipping): **LIMITED QUANTITY AVAILABLE: A ticket PER PERSON includes:
One copy of UNPROTECTED.
Admission to the event space with Billy Porter.
One signed bookplate.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

SNL premiered last night. Owen Wilson does a damn fine Biden.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Started a rewatch, In order, of the series "Without a Trace". It was a fav of mine when it aired. Already through S1:E7
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Oats Studio on Netflix.

Halloween is approaching, and they break out the scary stuff. But, this isn't as scary as it is shocking. Ten episodes ranging from five to twenty minutes, this is easily digested in an evening. Some of it is sci-fi. Some of it is horror. And some of it could easily be SNL or Monty Python. There are no complete stories. There are no beginnings, and no ends. The producers broke all the rules of story telling, and I think it adds to the tension brilliantly. You rummage in the hyperactive machinations of a mind that won't stay focused on one thing for very long. You are drenched in a thought, and then plucked out. I actually enjoyed the experience.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:20 am Oats Studio on Netflix.

Halloween is approaching, and they break out the scary stuff. But, this isn't as scary as it is shocking.
There is a series on the Roku channel. (it's a Roku original this one needs the device). It's called "The Stranger". 13 episodes all under 10 minutes (they are scenes, not episodes). ... goes like this: young women is working for a ride-share company and picks up a passenger. It does get a bit violent, but is more of a head F as the viewer is trying to figure what is real.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:45 am
bill_g wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:20 am Oats Studio on Netflix.

Halloween is approaching, and they break out the scary stuff. But, this isn't as scary as it is shocking.
There is a series on the Roku channel. (it's a Roku original this one needs the device). It's called "The Stranger". 13 episodes all under 10 minutes (they are scenes, not episodes). ... goes like this: young women is working for a ride-share company and picks up a passenger. It does get a bit violent, but is more of a head F as the viewer is trying to figure what is real.
Have Roku, will find. Thx.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:47 am
Have Roku, will find. Thx.
Hmm. I was 90% sure it was on the Roku channel but now I can't find it.

It's this film (chopped up into scenes) -->>

bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Thx!

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”