Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

This video doc should be required viewing. Rumble available on Netflix streaming now.

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Kelly's Heroes.

All the burning bridges that have fallen after me...🎵🎵

That ear worm is good for the next two weeks.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Evil, season 3. We watched;: season one on Netflix, but they went to Paramount in the last two seasons. Season one: CBS. Season two and three: Paramount. Boy, did the language change in the last two seasons.

Quirky, but thoughtful. Faith vs science.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Have you ever been munching down on a good chicken salad sandwich only to have a bone sliver stab you in the mouth ruining the whole experience?

That's what it's like watching The Informer.

On Netflix streaming and other platforms.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

I don’t know why, but I said, “Alexa, play Fox News” this morning and saw (for the first time in a long long time) the crap they do.
OMG, “fair and balanced”?
This is what much of America hears regularly?
Sigh….
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:46 am My husband and I watched the first two episodes of The Sandman a couple days ago and it's extremely good. I have a tendency to divide my attention when watching TV - it's hard for me to just sit there and let whatever's on the TV just flow into my head, but with Sandman I couldn't do anything else, it was mesmerizing. The acting is great, the story (so far) has that great mysterious feel to it without it being too confusing, the sets are gorgeous (!!!) and even the music is excellent. It's well worth checking out
Good recommend.

I gave the first episode a watch last night, and found myself wanting more. I'll press on through the weekend as we head into blistering heat.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Danraft wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:16 am I don’t know why, but I said, “Alexa, play Fox News” this morning and saw (for the first time in a long long time) the crap they do.
OMG, “fair and balanced”?
This is what much of America hears regularly?
Sigh….
Do we need to send you a complimentary can of BraneKleen, or can you self medicate with a speedball of beer with a coffee chase?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I'm going to give The Sandman a try. (NF has been pimping it upon me hard)... However, a relative of mine who has watched a few episodes said they introduce new characters every episode and he is starting to feel confused. Could be one of those shows you have to sit and pay attention to and not multitask.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

neonzx wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:25 am I'm going to give The Sandman a try. (NF has been pimping it upon me hard)... However, a relative of mine who has watched a few episodes said they introduce new characters every episode and he is starting to feel confused. Could be one of those shows you have to sit and pay attention to and not multitask.
It helps if you are familiar with the Sandman comics. Think of it as a series of short stories that some of the main characters weave in and out of. It's not
one continuous story. Each of the episodes are based on a different story even as Sandman recovers and collects his tools throughout the first season.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/a-lea ... r-AA10Oujk

Wonderful series. The only thing I regret is that Max did not play in professional baseball yet. Next season.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

RVInit wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:15 pm It helps if you are familiar with the Sandman comics. Think of it as a series of short stories that some of the main characters weave in and out of. It's not
one continuous story. Each of the episodes are based on a different story even as Sandman recovers and collects his tools throughout the first season.
Thanks. I figured that out after five episodes or so while letting the credits run. The DC logo came up briefly before the dubbing credits. Kind of made me mad. Marvel opens their movies with a big splash so you know what you are getting into. DC apparently does not. And since I haven't read comics for sixty years, I am not familiar with the Sandman story.

The story is compelling enough for me to see it through to the end, but this is no Jessica Jones. It's more Harry Potter.
► Show Spoiler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

bill_g wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:54 am
RVInit wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:15 pm It helps if you are familiar with the Sandman comics. Think of it as a series of short stories that some of the main characters weave in and out of. It's not
Thanks. I figured that out after five episodes or so while letting the credits run. The DC logo came up briefly before the dubbing credits. Kind of made me mad. Marvel opens their movies with a big splash so you know what you are getting into. DC apparently does not. And since I haven't read comics for sixty years, I am not familiar with the Sandman story.

The story is compelling enough for me to see it through to the end, but this is no Jessica Jones. It's more Harry Potter.
► Show Spoiler
Here is a video where the writer of the comics, who is heavily involved with the Netflix show, explains some things about the trailer, which also explains a few things about the stories in general. Again, it does help if you are familiar with the comics. There is stuff all over YouTube about this new series, but if you aren't into the comics, and don't happen upon anything that brings these up in your feed or just don't watch YouTube then yeah, you missed the whole hype about turning the comics into a series. Because I think YouTube is the only place you really would have run into all that discussion.

Bonus: He also discusses some of the gender decisions. In his opinion, Lucifer doesn't have a gender so whoever you cast you are automatically genderizing Lucifer.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

RVInit wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:24 am
Here is a video where the writer of the comics, who is heavily involved with the Netflix show, explains some things about the trailer, which also explains a few things about the stories in general. Again, it does help if you are familiar with the comics. There is stuff all over YouTube about this new series, but if you aren't into the comics, and don't happen upon anything that brings these up in your feed or just don't watch YouTube then yeah, you missed the whole hype about turning the comics into a series. Because I think YouTube is the only place you really would have run into all that discussion.

Bonus: He also discusses some of the gender decisions. In his opinion, Lucifer doesn't have a gender so whoever you cast you are automatically genderizing Lucifer.

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e54llvV_tc
Ah. Thank you again! My general opinion of movies and teevee shows based on comic books is very low, and I tend to not look for any background on a movie or series until I'm into it enough I want to know more. I like to approach without any pre-opinions. I like that feeling of wonder and amazement if I stumble across a good story ala Game of Thrones. And I like not being disappointed it didn't live up to my expectations ala The Hobbit. I am less concerned about spoilers than I am about the story telling, content, context, and acting. I don't care if I know he did this, and she did that, or even why and how they did it as long as it is a satisfying story. First World problems I know. :)
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There aren't any real spoilers in the trailer discussion except for one tiny one, it's discreetly done and if you saw the first episode before seeing the trailer discussion it's not a spoiler. I love listening to Gaiman talk, he has the most wonderful voice and the way he enunciates is music to my ears.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

RVInit wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:37 am There aren't any real spoilers in the trailer discussion except for one tiny one, it's discreetly done and if you saw the first episode before seeing the trailer discussion it's not a spoiler. I love listening to Gaiman talk, he has the most wonderful voice and the way he enunciates is music to my ears.
Well, thank you again for aiming me towards it. I enjoyed his explanation.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I've gotten through most of the Sandman. Love it. Very well cast. Netflix announced today that they just added 2 bonus episodes so I'll get around to watching those.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Harry's back in Resident Alien on SYFY. Started last week on Wednesday. Episodes 1 and 2 available On Demand, maybe streaming somewhere.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... requel-got
he Iron Throne has been taken out of storage and returned to the Great Hall of the Red Keep. The wardrobe department has de-mothballed its finest furs and thrown them round the shoulders of a new cast. The creator of High Valyrian, David J Peterson, has likewise been brought out of hibernation to supply new dialogue.

And there be dragons.

Yes! The long-awaited prequel to the epic fantasy series Game of Thrones, which dominated the televisual landscape for eight riotously expensive seasons is here. It is derived from parts of author George RR Martin’s 2018 bestseller Fire and Blood (the release was a bittersweet moment for fans who hoped he had been completing the Song of Ice and Fire book series from which Game of Thrones was adapted, rather than writing a prequel). House of the Dragon, then, is the tale of the Targaryens who began the whole bally thing.
In case you haven't seen one of the 3,000 commercials on TV a day.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The DC logo came up briefly before the dubbing credits. Kind of made me mad.
Bill, the draw of the series, I think, isn’t that it’s a DC movie; it’s that it’s a Neil Gaiman story.

I watched the first episode while the mr was finishing GOT in preparation for the new one. I loved it and will wait for my honey bun before I watch more. I think he’ll like it.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

I am hooked on Hulu's "Only Murders In The Building." The last episode of season 2 is released on Tuesday. Steve Martin (who I've loved since college), Martin Short (normally don't care for him but he's great here), and Selena Gomez play the main 3 characters, and the lesser characters - including Nathan Lane - are all wonderful and quirky.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

We went for RIVERDALE on NETFLIX and loved it, definitely recommend it, lots of fun. It's based on the iconic Archie comics with Veronica, Betty, Jughead, Josie and the Pussycats (Long tails, ears for hats :P ) Pop's Diner, and all the rest. Archie Comics was founded in 1939 and Archie himself debuted in December 1941, in Pep Comics No. 22. But it was the visual aesthetic first established by artist Dan DeCarlo in the late 1950s that ultimately defined the look of Archie Comics for the next half a century. They've done SIX seasons, it's a huge hit for The CW and now it's on Netflix (they just dropped S6, apparently S7 will be the last). It's fun and easy to watch.

The Archie is a New Zealand athlete actor who does a perfect American accent (and had a workout coach who made him totally jacked, they just have to cover his tattoos for shirtless scenes which are common). KJ Apa was born June 17, 1997, in Auckland, the son of Tupa'i and Tessa Apa (née Callander). His father is Samoan and a matai (chief) of his village in Samoa; his mother is a European New Zealander. Interesting hearing him talk about his Dad as the Chief of the village, his grandpa was too and he's in line though he doesn't speak Samoan. Here he is on Jimmy Kimmel Live from Feb 2021, they shoot in Vancouver so it's a remote interview. No spoilers, other than a highly publicized "time jump" of 7 years that happens during the series.

One more thing about KJ -- in a PR MASTERSTROKE, somebody at Buzzfeed had the idea to have KJ answer questions while playing with PUPPIES! The result? 1.7 million views. :dog:

KJ Apa Plays With Puppies While Answering Fan Questions
1,701,573 views Feb 27, 2020

The cast is lots of fun including Mark Consuelos as Veronica's scheming father, Molly Ringwald (couldn't believe seeing our Molly!) as Archie's Mom, Luke Perry as Archie's Dad (who passed away, the show did an entire episode at the beginning of a season to pay tribute), and tons of famous guest stars there to have some fun.

RD Archie.JPG
RD Archie.JPG (83.86 KiB) Viewed 649 times

https://tvline.com/2021/01/18/riverdale ... ry-kj-apa/

The original trailer:

If you want to score points with your kids, grandkids or young people in general, knowing about this show will give you lots of cred. :P

And, of course, at 10:30pm Eastern / 9:30pm Central tonight (Friday) on WEtv (free livesteam link: https://ustvgo.tv/we-tv/), we know everybody will be watching the magical "crossover" episode of SUPER-SIZED SALON, with Special Guest Stars the titular Mama June and Pumpkin.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Mrich wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:06 pm I am hooked on Hulu's "Only Murders In The Building." The last episode of season 2 is released on Tuesday. Steve Martin (who I've loved since college), Martin Short (normally don't care for him but he's great here), and Selena Gomez play the main 3 characters, and the lesser characters - including Nathan Lane - are all wonderful and quirky.
The first season was very enjoyable. We want to get started on season 2.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:40 pm
Mrich wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:06 pm I am hooked on Hulu's "Only Murders In The Building." The last episode of season 2 is released on Tuesday. Steve Martin (who I've loved since college), Martin Short (normally don't care for him but he's great here), and Selena Gomez play the main 3 characters, and the lesser characters - including Nathan Lane - are all wonderful and quirky.
The first season was very enjoyable. We want to get started on season 2.
I adore OMitB.

I've been seeing promos for She Hulk who also works as an attorney and Iz confuzzled. Why do female superheroes need second jobs? Do they not get paid the same as the men?

(I also remember, from decades ago, the Bionic Woman worked as a schoolteacher, but the Six Million Dollar Man only had the one gig and that's always bugged me.)

I know Superman was a mild mannered reporter, and there may be others. I'm not big into the DC or Marvel Universe but still......
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:07 pm
The DC logo came up briefly before the dubbing credits. Kind of made me mad.
Bill, the draw of the series, I think, isn’t that it’s a DC movie; it’s that it’s a Neil Gaiman story.

I watched the first episode while the mr was finishing GOT in preparation for the new one. I loved it and will wait for my honey bun before I watch more. I think he’ll like it.
That brings us full circle to knowing who Neil Gaiman is, and I don't, or rather I didn't ... until now. It goes to my general habit to enter a story with no presuppositions. Not that I'm afraid spoilers will ruin my experience. In this modern world of internet forums, people offer their thoughts about every show out there. There is no avoiding it. Spoilers abound. I scan over them. What I do see is SHOWNAME SHOWNAME SHOWNAME over and over again with people either gushing over it, or roasting it. And if the back of my head says YES, I will eventually watch the show.

I didn't pick up on GOT until season 4 or higher. Pouty face blonde women riding dragons is generally not my genre. (Neither are vampires or zombies - instant no-go on both counts) But, when even our kids are talking about GOT at Christmas dinner, I have to wonder what the appeal is. Mrs took one look and said never. I took the deep dive and spent weeks catching up before the next season came out. And to this day I have no idea who the author is, or the director, or even any of the actors. I have remained deliberately and delightfully ignorant.

Likewise with The Hobbit movies, Harry Potter, and every movie based on a comic book - DC, Marvel, or otherwise. If I select a show for my evening viewing, it comes fresh even if it is years and years old.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:34 am I've gotten through most of the Sandman. Love it. Very well cast. Netflix announced today that they just added 2 bonus episodes so I'll get around to watching those.
Aha! It wasn't just me getting rewarded for having finished the series. It was 10 episodes. I finished E10, and was presented with NEXT EPISODE. Suddenly I had another. ?!?!? I thought I had imagined seeing only ten episodes listed - that I had missed number eleven.

I will say this. It is satisfying. If you count the first ten as the main course, 11 is a good dessert.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”