Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COVID research: Masks, Vaccines, Social Distancing, Treatments

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: COVID research: Masks, Vaccines, Social Distancing, Treatments

Post by RTH10260 »

not peer reviewed yet
The Coronavirus Attacks Fat Tissue, Scientists Find
The research may help explain why people who are overweight and obese have been at higher risk of severe illness and death from Covid.

By Roni Caryn Rabin
Dec. 8, 2021

From the start of the pandemic, the coronavirus seemed to target people carrying extra pounds. Patients who were overweight or obese were more likely to develop severe Covid-19 and more likely to die.

Though these patients often have health conditions like diabetes that compound their risk, scientists have become increasingly convinced that their vulnerability has something to do with obesity itself.

Now researchers have found that the coronavirus infects both fat cells and certain immune cells within body fat, prompting a damaging defensive response in the body.

“The bottom line is, ‘Oh my god, indeed, the virus can infect fat cells directly,’” said Dr. Philipp Scherer, a scientist who studies fat cells at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, who was not involved in the research.

“Whatever happens in fat doesn’t stay in fat,” he added. “It affects the neighboring tissues as well.”

The research has not yet been peer-reviewed or published in a scientific journal, but it was posted online in October. If the findings hold up, they may shed light not just on why patients with excess pounds are vulnerable to the virus, but also on why certain younger adults with no other risks become so ill.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/heal ... esity.html
Lani

Post by Lani »

:shock:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

If you need me, I be working out.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I've been shedding fat to avoid the virus. For the first time since 1984 I weigh less than 175 lbs.

In 1984 I weighed 185 when I got a broken jaw. They wired my teeth shut, I went on a liquid diet, and I lost 40 lbs in 40 days. On the bright side, I lived on the beach in Venice, CA at the time, and when the wires came off, at 145 lbs I had the best bodysurfing of my life. :biggrin:

Before 1984, the last time I was under 175 was in high school.

At age 65 I weighed 230 and joined a gym. I fought my way down to 190 and stayed there for two years, couldn't get below that. In 2020 we had a pandemic, you remember that, at the beginning of 2021 I had gone back up to 205 lbs goddammit now I'm really getting pissed off the whole point is to be a skinny old man (I have the old man part down).

So this year I buckled down, and I'm 175. Oh, ouchy, I just sprained my arm patting myself on the back! :oopsy:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Study published yesterday comparing Pfizer 2-dose against Pfizer 3-dose in Israel, looking at 50+ year-olds who got their second dose at least 5 months prior to the study start date. TLDR: 90% reduction in Covid mortality (50-64=87%, 65+=91%) and 83% reduction in Covid infections.

Boosters work, y'all!

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/N ... 9Gvq_aFiSM
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

THis guy was the Obama white house medical advisor and biden white house Covid response advisor.

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/146 ... QCZtA&s=04

Andy Slavitt@ASlavitt

COVID Update: 2 weeks ago we said we would know a lot more about Omicron in 2 weeks.

I’ve rounded up the best scientific opinions to share a consensus. 1/

The bottom line-up front: We should expect a significant wave of COVID this weekend: likely a Delta + Omicron wave. 2/

The consensus view of Omicron is that it is NOT innately more contagious, but that it IS spreading much faster. 3/

What is wrapped up in that enigma is that the R0, the reproductive rate that Omicron spreads in the wild is likely no greater than Delta.

Delta is a 6 or 7 R0 and Omicron may be a bit lower or only slightly higher. But…. 4/

The virus spreads based on not just the rate COVIS spreads in the wild but what portion of the people are succeptable to spread.

Delta spread is limited by the people who are vaccinated & who have prior infections. Omicron, for reasons I will lay out, has a more open field. 5/

As a result, the rate Delta actually spreads (Re) is about 1
& the rate Omicron spreads is closer to 2.5.

So it should feel like Omicron is growing about 2.5x as fast as Delta. Most of what we see is from the S African outbreak & more recently from the U.K. 6/

The reason Omicron is able to spread with little in its way stems from the fact that Omicron comes from a different lineage than Delta. Therefore prior infection from Delta does a poor job protecting against spread & infection if there is no vaccination. 7/

How do vaccines themselves perform?

Good and bad.

Limited data from Pfizer shows that with a 3rd dose, the vaccine will continue to do a very good job—particularly at preventing severe illness.

Even with that third dose/booster, it appears to have some fall off from Delta.8/

Without a booster, vaccines aren’t expected to do a great job preventing the virus from spreading, although still provide strong protection against severe illness. 9/

This is relieving news for people who have gotten or will get boosted.

For people who are vaccinated but not boosted there is real risk of breakthrough infection.

But anyone who has been vaccinated is far better off than those who haven’t. Prior infection isn’t a help. 10/

The other question we began wrestling with— and are still wrestling with— is whether the COVID that people get w Omicron is more or less severe. 11/

Depending who you ask, Omicron is either more, less, or equally severe.

Now that that’s cleared up, there is an interesting & important theory of the case. 12/

The perspective I find most compelling is that Omicron is not likely to be more or less severe than Delta but that we may be seeing the effects of memory B cell and T cell accumulated immunity. 13/

This would be similar to what’s happening as we look at how fast the virus spreads. What we’re seeing is clouded by the impact of prior infection, not the innate properties of the virus itself. 14/

If it turns out that Omicron is less lethal because more people have cellular protection that’s an overall good thing for the population— it means we are making progress towards making the virus less lethal. But…
15/

It would be even better if Omicron were less lethal than Delta innately. We still have many people— like those under 5– with no protection and those with compromised immune systems.
16/

So what happens when Omicron begins to grow in the US? What would an even more rapidly growing virus (250% faster than Delta) that is less lethal look like?

It can be damaging. Even a small percentage of a big number is a big number. 17/

If Omicron were the only challenge of the winter, it would be easier to manage. But Omicron will arrive when Delta is raging. And if Delta spreads as fast or faster than Omicron innately, then scientists tell me we are likely to get stuck with both. 18/

Both.

That means two viruses circulating, 2 types of immunity required to thwart infection. 2 cycles of spread.

We have had 2 strains of the flu before. 2 flu vaccines combined.

One solution. 19/

A third shot on top of 2 prior shots works well against Delta and appears to make a big difference with Omicron. 20/

Rapid tests. Therapeutics. Ventilation. n-95 masks.

All help on top of vaccines. 21/

And this is how the winter of 2021-2022 is different from last winter.

As bad a storm as comes, we have the tools to stay safe. If we use them. /end

And if you want to hear the podcast with @ScottGottliebMD
on the topic on @inthebubblepod
, listen here.
In the Bubble with Andy Slavitt: Omicron in the US: What You Need to Know (with Scott Gottlieb) on Apple Podcasts
podcasts.apple.com

Tweet 3 should say “this winter” not “this weekend.”

Why was I thinking about the weekend on a Wednesday? That never happens.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That was an interesting read. Thanks.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Turns out I caught neither variant, just the original CoV-SARS.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I guess that's good to know, but I guess not much difference. Or is there? I hope you are home soon.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

So you are behind the times, huh?
Hic sunt dracones
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Ludicrously so.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Makes you both relieved and feel a decade younger :biggrin:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:confuzzled: FWIW
Why uncontrolled HIV may be behind the emergence of Omicron
Analysis: experts say weakened immune systems may give rise to new Covid variants – so HIV prevention could be key to stopping coronavirus

Ian Sample Science editor
Sat 11 Dec 2021 08.00 GMT

Where did Omicron come from? By all accounts it is a weird variant. Though highly mutated, it descended not from one of the other variants of concern, such as Alpha, Beta or Delta, but from coronavirus that was circulating maybe 18 months ago. So where has it been all this time? And why is it only wreaking havoc now?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... of-omicron
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

There is both anecdotal and harder information coming in about Omicron transmitting more rapidly in social settings. Instead of a minority of contacts becoming infected, it is a majority.

Norway is helping! NRK (the state broadcaster, rather like the UK's BBC) reports: Hope that the Louise outbreak can provide answers about Omicron for the whole world The article is på norsk but Google translate should be able to cope.

The article says that a Christmas meal at the Louise restaurant in central Oslo in late November was one of the first super-spreader events in Europe of the new Omicron variant. Of 111 people at the meal, 80 are confirmed cases, with more probably infected. So over 73%, probably over 80%.

So Norway's Public Health Institute has launched research into the details of what happened that evening, questioning the participants, both about their movements in the restaurant and other issues, including, of course, when they were vaccinated. They plan to do the research quickly and issue a preprint of their findings rapidly, to spread the knowledge.

Another key takeaway: most of those infected had symptoms. The article says that it was estimated that about half of those infected with earlier variants had asymptomatic infections, but almost all people infected with Omicron show symptoms.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Will be interesting to read how many breakthru cases they had from this incident.
notorial dissent

Post by notorial dissent »

I can't remember, did they ever say which variant?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

notorial dissent wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:44 pm I can't remember, did they ever say which variant?
Yup - article says one of first Omicron outbreaks in Europe
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:37 am There is both anecdotal and harder information coming in about Omicron transmitting more rapidly in social settings. Instead of a minority of contacts becoming infected, it is a majority.

Norway is helping! NRK (the state broadcaster, rather like the UK's BBC) reports: Hope that the Louise outbreak can provide answers about Omicron for the whole world The article is på norsk but Google translate should be able to cope.

The article says that a Christmas meal at the Louise restaurant in central Oslo in late November was one of the first super-spreader events in Europe of the new Omicron variant. Of 111 people at the meal, 80 are confirmed cases, with more probably infected. So over 73%, probably over 80%.

So Norway's Public Health Institute has launched research into the details of what happened that evening, questioning the participants, both about their movements in the restaurant and other issues, including, of course, when they were vaccinated. They plan to do the research quickly and issue a preprint of their findings rapidly, to spread the knowledge.

Another key takeaway: most of those infected had symptoms. The article says that it was estimated that about half of those infected with earlier variants had asymptomatic infections, but almost all people infected with Omicron show symptoms.
That's a double-edged sword. Fewer people transmitting the virus without knowing they have it, no?
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

roadscholar wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:06 pm
Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:37 am There is both anecdotal and harder information coming in about Omicron transmitting more rapidly in social settings. Instead of a minority of contacts becoming infected, it is a majority.

That's a double-edged sword. Fewer people transmitting the virus without knowing they have it, no?
It’s saying Omicron tend to be symptomatic.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:16 pm
roadscholar wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:06 pm

My point was that, unlike with previous versions, fewer folks with Omicron would be running around all day with the virus, potentially spreading it, unaware they are doing so. If you have symptoms, you tend to be more careful (unless you're a Trump voter, in which case you wouldn't give a good damn).
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

roadscholar wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:24 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:16 pm
roadscholar wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:06 pm That's a double-edged sword. Fewer people transmitting the virus without knowing they have it, no?
My point was that, unlike with previous versions, fewer folks with Omicron would be running around all day with the virus, potentially spreading it, unaware they are doing so. If you have symptoms, you tend to be more careful (unless you're a Trump voter, in which case you wouldn't give a good damn).
Thanks. I misread. It sounded like these people were mostly symptomatic and still went out.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I test negative and I still don't go out though I did not go out often before this so it really is no change.
101010 :towel:
Sam the Centipede

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:59 pm :snippity:
Thanks. I misread. It sounded like these people were mostly symptomatic and still went out.
The initial assumption is that almost all the julebord attendees went to the restaurant free of the virus and they were infected there in a super-spreader event. Obviously at least person in the restaurant (guest or staff) was infected beforehand, and the research will identify whether it's one (person or group) or (unlikely) several.

Almost all of those infected developed symptoms, a higher proportion than with older variants.

On the question of symptomatic/asymptomatic being least worrying from an ongoing transmission point of view, it's difficult to tell if it makes much difference (imho). An infected person emits virus for a few days before symptoms might show. If it were the other way round (symptomatic before infectious), symptoms might be a reliable warning sign … but they aren't.

It's definitely not good.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:50 am
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:59 pm :snippity:
The initial assumption is that almost all the julebord attendees went to the restaurant free of the virus and they were infected there in a super-spreader event. Obviously at least person in the restaurant (guest or staff) was infected beforehand, and the research will identify whether it's one (person or group) or (unlikely) several.

Almost all of those infected developed symptoms, a higher proportion than with older variants.

On the question of symptomatic/asymptomatic being least worrying from an ongoing transmission point of view, it's difficult to tell if it makes much difference (imho). An infected person emits virus for a few days before symptoms might show. If it were the other way round (symptomatic before infectious), symptoms might be a reliable warning sign … but they aren't.

It's definitely not good.
I don't have a reference at hand but I remember that this period is much shorter with Omicron than with earlier variants, like 5 days versus 10+ days.
Sam the Centipede

Yes, everything happens quicker with Omicron!

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”