Marine Corps Lieutenant Colonel Stuart P. Scheller - Former AITB Commander - Terry Lakin II

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Marine Corps Lieutenant Colonel Stuart P. Scheller - Former AITB Commander - Terry Lakin II

Post by raison de arizona »

The MAGAts raised over $2M for him. There is some question about whether he will take it- and whether they will give it to him. I haven’t checked in in that story lately.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Re: Marine Corps Lieutenant Colonel Stuart P. Scheller - Former AITB Commander - Terry Lakin II

wtf

Why was mtg testifying?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:40 pm wtf

Why was mtg testifying?
What “unknown consequences”?

Since he’s being tried by a Special Court-Martial, the worst that can happen to Scheller is a formal reprimand, forfeiture of 2/3 pay per month, and a fine. Any fine, if he gets one, cannot exceed what the authorized forfeitures would be. So the most money he could lose is 2/3 pay per month for a year (but if expressed as a fine, he’d owe it even after he gets out).

Plus, there’s most undoubtedly a pretrial agreement. The content of the agreement won’t be revealed until the military judge announces the sentence, but it will place a limit on the sentence that can actually be imposed. Scheller would, of course, be familiar with the agreement.

Scheller knows exactly what the consequences will be.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Yeh, BUT MTG doesn't know that!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:27 pm Yeh, BUT MTG doesn't know that!
She does now, if she reads her twitter feed. :mrgreen:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:mrgreen:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

She testified at his court martial? What possible relevant information would she possess? Maybe she is a character witness? She sure as hell is a 'character'!
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

qbawl wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:33 pm She testified at his court martial? What possible relevant information would she possess? Maybe she is a character witness? She sure as hell is a 'character'!
It’s in preparation for the post-military grift. There’s nothing she could have said that’s going to move the sentencing needle any.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Question is why was Tinfoil-Greed even allowed in there?
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
Among the witnesses called by Scheller’s defense team were Rep. Louie Gohmert (R.-Tex.) and Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.), two of the most controversial members of Congress. They questioned why Scheller has been prosecuted for his actions when senior U.S. officials such as President Biden, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Gen. Mark A. Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs, have not. Greene, under oath, called for the impeachment of Biden for his handling of Afghanistan and said her office has been flooded with calls in support of Scheller. She also accused U.S. troops who carried out a drone strike that killed civilians in the closing days of the United States’ withdrawal of “war crimes.”
:brickwallsmall:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I wonder if she even did actually 'testify', or if she just showed up and is selling it as testifying.

(edited to add) ah, I see the part about the defense calling her. But that is still... weird... and it sounds like she spent part of her time talking about impeaching Biden? Do military judges normally allow this kind of irrelevant material? I always understood it as having to answer questions and describing information you have, not giving a speech.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:38 pm
qbawl wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:33 pm She testified at his court martial? What possible relevant information would she possess? Maybe she is a character witness? She sure as hell is a 'character'!
It’s in preparation for the post-military grift. There’s nothing she could have said that’s going to move the sentencing needle any.
No, but it could move the needle on her grift donations.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

neeneko wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:16 pm I wonder if she even did actually 'testify', or if she just showed up and is selling it as testifying.

(edited to add) ah, I see the part about the defense calling her. But that is still... weird... and it sounds like she spent part of her time talking about impeaching Biden? Do military judges normally allow this kind of irrelevant material? I always understood it as having to answer questions and describing information you have, not giving a speech.
They do. The last thing they want is to be seen as shutting down the defense case.
filly

Post by filly »

But, what's the "case?" See, your honor, there is a sitting MOC who is crazier and more destructive than the defendant?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

filly wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:58 pm But, what's the "case?" See, your honor, there is a sitting MOC who is crazier and more destructive than the defendant?
Character witness.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

With character witness (witless) like that - perhaps

Insanity defence

Or better - mistrial as it should be a full court marshal
raison de arizona

Gohmert was on Hannity crowing about his appearance. "SEVENTEEN YEARS IN SERVICE, SIX TOURS OD DUTY, ONE OVER A YEAR, I THINK! ALL HE DID WAS TELL THE TRUTH. IN ALL THESE HEARINGS NO ONE HAS SHOWN THAT HE DIDN'T TELL THE TRUTH. AND THEY THREW HIM IN THE BRIG." Blah blah blah, you get the idea.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

He pled guilty to all charges. There was earlier buzz that he’d plead to some but not to all.

He’ll be sentenced later today.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/marines ... ds-guilty/
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Slapped on the wrist.

Reprimand, $5,000 fine. Gov’t asked for $5K per month for six months. Military judge said he would have given $5K per month for two months, but didn’t give the extra month because of the 9 days in the brig. Said his 17 years of stellar performance weighed heavily.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/schell ... forfeiture
raison de arizona

So he got even less than what he was asking for? I assume he gets his honorable discharge as well?
filly

Post by filly »

Admiral Fitzfundfilcher is happy today.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:35 pm So he got even less than what he was asking for? I assume he gets his honorable discharge as well?
He got less than the prosecution was asking for.
Edit: He’ll likely get a “General under Honorable Conditions,” which isn’t the same as a honorable, but it makes no practical difference. The only military benefit I’m aware of that requires a actual honorable discharge i’d the GI Bill, which he’d likely have a hard time qualifying for (I tried after I retired and the VA was like, nope, you already have an advanced degree, which I thought was bullshit, but, whatever). All other benefits just require no punitive discharge, which he won’t get.

The Secretary of the Navy will have the final say on characterization of discharge.
raison de arizona

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:38 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:35 pm So he got even less than what he was asking for? I assume he gets his honorable discharge as well?
He got less than the prosecution was asking for.
Did he not get less than what he was asking for?
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:29 am
Marine who criticized U.S. handling of Afghanistan withdrawal will plead guilty, seek favorable discharge

A Marine officer whose viral videos criticizing senior officials for how they withdrew from Afghanistan created a political uproar will plead guilty to several charges and seek a discharge that allows him to keep some military benefits, one of his lawyers said Tuesday.
:snippity:
The Marine hopes to avoid jail time and secure either an honorable discharge or a general discharge under honorable conditions.

“Our hope is for him to get a letter of reprimand, and no more,” Parlatore said.

The possibility of a plea deal was first reported by Coffee or Die Magazine.
:snippity:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
Ah yes, you are correct, he got the reprimand letter (which is what he wanted), AND a $5k fine (which he didn't).
filly

Post by filly »

I guess the deterrent effect isn't a thing anymore?
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

1, 2, 3 . . .he will announce that he be running for public office as a, wait for it, GOP. candidate.
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.

Return to “Other weirdos”