Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Theranos aftermath

somerset

Theranos aftermath

Post by somerset »

bob wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:47 pm
11+ years.
Judge Edward J. Davila of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California sentenced Ms. Holmes to 135 months in prison, which is slightly more than 11 years. Ms. Holmes, 38, who plans to appeal the verdict, must report to prison on April 27, 2023.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/18/tech ... ranos.html

I'd imagine the first order of business is trying to get a motion passed allowing her to stay out of prison pending appeal.

Odds of this happening?
bob

Theranos aftermath

Post by bob »

somerset wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:15 pm I'd imagine the first order of business is trying to get a motion passed allowing her to stay out of prison pending appeal.

Odds of this happening?
I'm going with low, especially given the amount of time she's looking at.

But I agree she'll ask.
Image ImageImage
chancery
Verified:

Theranos aftermath

Post by chancery »

Holmes should have been sentenced to at least 20 years.
RVInit

Theranos aftermath

Post by RVInit »

chancery wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:32 pm Holmes should have been sentenced to at least 20 years.
Agree. She also should have been found guilty of all 11 charges. Of course, they practiced the case on her and then improved it for her accomplice, an immigrant, who did what she directed, and jury had no problem finding him guilty of all 11 charges.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
humblescribe
Verified:

Theranos aftermath

Post by humblescribe »

chancery wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:32 pm Holmes should have been sentenced to at least 20 years.
And, she should have been taken into custody immediately before the judge brought down the gavel.

Instead, she has to report on April 27. I don't care that she is great with child. She'll likely get knocked up as soon as possible after she gives birth, and will ask for yet another delay. (Sarcasm, but warranted.)

This is over five months from now. :cussing:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Gregg

Theranos aftermath

Post by Gregg »

I think it was terribly irresponsible of her allowing herself to get pregnant knowing she was facing over 10 years in jail.

Am I correct in thinking she became pregnant after her conviction?

ETA:
After giving birth to a son shortly before her trial started last year, she became pregnant at some point while free on bail this year.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Theranos aftermath

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Gregg wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:33 pm I think it was terribly irresponsible of her allowing herself to get pregnant knowing she was facing over 10 years in jail.
Extremely - especially as it seems she got pregnant specifically to try and sway the jury from finding her guilty and to get a shorter sentence. Does she even actually *want* the children? And who will be raising them for her while she's in prison?
John Thomas8

Theranos aftermath

Post by John Thomas8 »

Word is it's going to country club prison, no fences even.

Gak.
much ado

Theranos aftermath

Post by much ado »

I was going to post this a couple of years ago, but never got around to it.

It is a picture of the CEO of Theranos negotiating an investment deal with a venture capitalist.

► Show Spoiler
pipistrelle

Theranos aftermath

Post by pipistrelle »

Gregg wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:33 pm I think it was terribly irresponsible of her allowing herself to get pregnant knowing she was facing over 10 years in jail.

Am I correct in thinking she became pregnant after her conviction?

ETA:
After giving birth to a son shortly before her trial started last year, she became pregnant at some point while free on bail this year.
On the flip side, if she wants to have kids, she'd best do it before she goes away.
RVInit

Theranos aftermath

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Theranos aftermath

Post by RVInit »

--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Theranos aftermath

Post by RVInit »

Just an interesting observation: Elizabeth, at around age 9 or 10, reportedly told her parents she had a big dream to be a billionaire. Not a big dream to do something amazing to help people, but a big dream to become a billionaire. I can't help but think that is the crux of "what went wrong" here.
--Colin Kaepernick
pipistrelle

Theranos aftermath

Post by pipistrelle »

RVInit wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:27 pm Just an interesting observation: Elizabeth, at around age 9 or 10, reportedly told her parents she had a big dream to be a billionaire. Not a big dream to do something amazing to help people, but a big dream to become a billionaire. I can't help but think that is the crux of "what went wrong" here.
This is the crux of a lot of contemporary "what went wrong." Too many with the ambition to be wealthy and/or influencers, vs. to be good people who make a positive difference, whether lauded or not.
humblescribe
Verified:

Theranos aftermath

Post by humblescribe »

Well, well. Lookie here. Lizzie purchased a one-way ticket to down Mexico way one year ago.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/20/tech/eli ... index.html

Guess her lawyers were able to talk her out of a naughty thing to do. :fingerwag:

I know it cannot be done now that her sentencing is on the record, but the prosecution should be able to ask the judge to tack on another 18 months or so for being a very bad girl, and it should be granted forthwith.

Does the DOJ have methods to find this information out? Perhaps the US Marshals have some sort of means to be notified if a person awaiting sentencing or jail makes a bad move?

Anyway, she is just a sleazeball.
chancery
Verified:

Theranos aftermath

Post by chancery »

The court filing includes an email from one of Holmes’ attorneys to the prosecution, claiming that the travel reservation was made before the verdict. In the email, Holmes’ attorney claims the former Theranos CEO hoped the verdict would be different and that she would be able to make this trip to attend the wedding of friends in Mexico.
It would surprise me that the terms of Holmes' bail permitted her to make plane reservations -- especially international plane reservations -- without the government's consent.* OTOH, the government did not say so in its opposition brief. https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 1721.0.pdf

The fact that the government hasn't previously brought the incident to the court's attention might suggest that it didn't think it was a big deal. Or, it could just mean that in January 2022 there was no tactical purpose to be served by bringing it up, as there is now, when Holmes is seeking to postpone her imprisonment until resolution of her appeal, which could be several years in the future.

Holmes is an unsympathetic convict. I hope that her motion is summarily denied.

______
* It's routine for a defendant to be required to surrender her passport upon arraignment, and you can't fly to Mexico without one. So the entire episode is weird. However, google tells me that the market price of a fake passport is in the low four figures.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Theranos aftermath

Post by RTH10260 »

Convicted fraudster Elizabeth Holmes welcomes second child and she's pushing to delay prison

Jordan Hart
Sun, February 26, 2023 at 4:47 PM GMT+1

Elizabeth Holmes was sentenced to 11.25 years in federal prisonJustin Sullivan/Getty Images
  • Holmes was sentenced to over 11 years in prison while pregnant with second child in November.
    In a court filing this week, her legal team said Holmes has "two young children," according to Mercury News.
    Holmes is seeking to extend her freedom past the day she's due to prison in April.
A court filing last week has revealed that Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes is now a mother of two, and she's seeking to delay her looming incarceration.

The 39-year-old was sentenced to over 11 years in prison, and is due to begin her sentence on April 27, but she and her legal team want to postpone that until her appeal process is finished, according to court documents obtained by The Mercury News this week.

The documents also state that Holmes is a mother of "two young children." In November, her romantic partner Billy Evans confirmed that she was pregnant with their second child. Holmes gave birth to her first child in July 2021 while awaiting trial for her charges.

While her legal team argues for extending her freedom, prosecutors say Holmes poses a flight risk and shouldn't be free past the day she's due to go to prison, per Mercury News.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/conv ... 18067.html
(original: Business Insider)
Gregg

Theranos aftermath

Post by Gregg »

Maybe, if being a concerned parent was the issue, you should have put off having children while under indictment?

But that's just me.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
humblescribe
Verified:

Theranos aftermath

Post by humblescribe »

I am not sure when a women who just gave birth starts ovulating again. But there are about 55 days between now and her surrender date. She could conceive yet again and ask the court for yet another delay. She could even have some frozen embryos just waiting for implantation too. There is nothing too low for this woman to stoop.

To me, this behavior validates her convictions for fraud and other crimes. She works every possible angle to avoid personal responsibility.
optimusprime

Theranos aftermath

Post by optimusprime »

This is a bit much. She should report to prison pregnant and/or lactating. If they are going to keep her in a min-security prison, but she want to stay at home to raise the kiddos, then she should still report to prison and they put her in a housing project with an ankle monitor! :silenced:
Suranis

Theranos aftermath

Post by Suranis »

humblescribe wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:50 pm I am not sure when a women who just gave birth starts ovulating again. But there are about 55 days between now and her surrender date. She could conceive yet again and ask the court for yet another delay. She could even have some frozen embryos just waiting for implantation too. There is nothing too low for this woman to stoop.

To me, this behavior validates her convictions for fraud and other crimes. She works every possible angle to avoid personal responsibility.
Without breastfeeding it's 6 weeks average, but some women have started again 3 weeks after the birth. With breastfeeding its 5 to 6 months.

So ya, she could get pregnant again in 55 days.

https://www.ovulation-calculators.com/o ... ing-birth/
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Theranos aftermath

Post by RTH10260 »

Poor kid, shall we start a GoFundMe in her favour?
Elizabeth Holmes owes more than $25m to Theranos, lawsuit claims
Disgraced founder who was sentenced last November to 11 years in prison for defrauding investors has not paid back the money she owes

Maya Yang
Sun 19 Mar 2023 12.42 GMT

Elizabeth Holmes currently owes more than $25m to Theranos, according to a lawsuit.

The disgraced founder of Theranos was sentenced last November to more than 11 years in prison for defrauding investors, after being convicted over her role in the blood testing firm that collapsed after its technology was revealed to be largely fraudulent.

And she has allegedly not yet paid back the $25m that she owes, according to a lawsuit which was filed last December but only surfaced on Friday during Holmes’s latest court appearance.

According to the lawsuit reviewed by CNBC, Holmes executed several promissory notes during her time as Theranos CEO. In 2011, she executed two promissory notes in August and December in the amounts of $9,159,333.65 and $7,578,575.52, respectively. Then, in December 2013, Holmes executed a promissory note in the amount of $9,129,991.10.

Two of the payments were due in 2016 and the third note was due in 2018. According to the lawsuit, the board of directors at the fraudulent blood-drawing company extended the notes’ terms in July 2016 by five years, CNBC reports.

The initial two notes are overdue and the payment for the third note is due in December, according to the lawsuit.

“Theranos ABC has demanded payment of promissory Note #1 and promissory Note #2 from Holmes, but Holmes has failed to pay any amounts on account of promissory Note,” the lawsuit said, CNBC reports.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... os-lawsuit
somerset

Theranos aftermath

Post by somerset »

Too, also:

Ex-Theranos exec Sunny Balwani finds way to delay prison sentence

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/theranos-s ... ni-prison/
Former Theranos executive Ramesh "Sunny" Balwani found an escape hatch Thursday from the scheduled start of his nearly 13-year prison sentence for a blood-testing hoax he engineered with his former boss and lover, Elizabeth Holmes.

Just hours before Balwani was supposed to surrender to authorities, his lawyer filed documents notifying U.S. District Judge Edward Davila that he wouldn't be doing so.

The notice cited a last-minute appeal of a recent Davila ruling rejecting Balwani's request to remain free while trying to overturn his conviction on 12 counts of fraud and conspiracy. The Wednesday appeal of Davila's March 9 ruling triggered an automatic stay of his prison reporting date, which had been set for 2 p.m. Pacific time Thursday.

That's because Balwani, 57, has been free on bail since a jury convicted him last July, triggering a clause that allows him to remain out of prison until the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals weighs in on Davila's ruling issued last week, according to the notice filed by Balwani's attorney, Jeffrey Coopersmith.
If he's allowed to remain free pending the outcome of his appeal, I'd think it would be hard to deny Holmes the same treatment.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Theranos aftermath

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
I was deeply in love with a lady named Sunny in the early '90s ❤️ but her real name was Sonia, so Sunny was kind of a natural derivative.

So how do you get "Sunny" from Ramesh? Does Ramesh mean Sunny in some langwitch or sumpin'? :confuzzled:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
MN-Skeptic

Theranos aftermath

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”