The education system behaving badly

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

The education system behaving badly

Post by raison de arizona »

A school district opted out of a free meals program, saying students could ‘become spoiled’
:snippity:
In June, the board voted to forgo the U.S. Agriculture Department’s Food and Nutrition Service’s extension of the Seamless Summer Option, a program to provide free meals to all students through June 30, 2022, because the pandemic was expected to burden some children’s nutrition.

“The covid-19 public health and economic crisis has highlighted the essential role that school meals play in addressing childhood hunger,” Alan Shannon, a spokesman for the Food and Nutrition Service, said in an email to The Washington Post. He highlighted the universal program’s lack of application as a victory for families and for local authorities who otherwise would be tasked with processing them.
Karin Rajnicek, a school board member, said the free program made it easy for families to “become spoiled.” Darren Clark, assistant superintendent for business services, said there could be a “slow addiction” to the service.

Other members noted students had forgone meals funded by the National School Lunch Program in previous years. Jess Huinker, an executive assistant for the district, said she had noticed that some did not eat during school because they either did not qualify for free or reduced-price options or because their parents did not submit applications.

“We have seen kids that don’t eat,” she said.

The discussion underscores a decades-old debate in public economics, said Ioana Marinescu, an economist at the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Social Policy and Practice. The importance people place on “work and pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps,” she said, fuels concerns that are often exaggerated.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... l-program/

My understanding is that the districts are automatically enrolled in this program, the board had to actually do more work to get out of it and remove free lunch from their children.

To prevent them from getting spoiled.

By feeding them once a day.

Can't have those children expecting they are going to get food, they'll get spoiled.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Re: Educators behaving badly

Post by p0rtia »

Racism and hate for the poor come in many forms.
filly

Post by filly »

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I was just going to post this Trae is AWESOME
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I wish you would change the title of this post.

It is not EDUCATORS (teachers) making this decision

it is wanna be educators that would never be able to handle a classroom. They are not educators or teachers they are mouthy people who likely has never been in a classroom as anything other than a student.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

These folks are in the same exact class of a$$holes as Betsy DeVos.
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

God made idiots for practice then he made school boards. Mark Twain
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
raison de arizona

sad-cafe wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:33 pm I wish you would change the title of this post.

it is wanna be educators that would never be able to handle a classroom. They are not educators or teachers they are mouthy people who likely has never been in a classroom as anything other than a student.
My phone won’t log into that account, and my computer won’t log into this account. :shrug: I need to take five minutes and straighten out the saved passwords. I’ll change it once I’m back on that account. Any suggestions? I didn’t feel good about it when I named it, although that crazy teacher in Florida made some bad decisions. How about “Education Related Bad Behavior”?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
scirreeve

Re: The education system behaving badly

Post by scirreeve »

I have seen so many stupid posts on FB about teachers quitting if they have to wear masks etc. etc. My son and his wife are both teachers. They have a 2 year old son. If masks were not required here (they are cuz I live in a mostly sane State) they would have quit cuz 2 year old. We would have supported them financially if necessary. I'm gonna bet there are more teachers in the US like my son and his wife than these stupid anti maskers being boosted on SM (could be wrong of course).
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:01 am
sad-cafe wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:33 pm I wish you would change the title of this post.

My phone won’t log into that account, and my computer won’t log into this account. :shrug: I need to take five minutes and straighten out the saved passwords. I’ll change it once I’m back on that account. Any suggestions? I didn’t feel good about it when I named it, although that crazy teacher in Florida made some bad decisions. How about “Education Related Bad Behavior”?

that is fine
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Wisconsin Public Radio -

Waukesha School Board Reverses Course, Takes Federal Money To Fund Free School Meals
The Waukesha School District's Board voted 5-4 Monday night to rescind its June decision not to participate in a temporary federal program that provides free school lunches to all families regardless of income after previously being the only eligible Wisconsin school district to opt out.

"As I learned more about some of the situations that exist in our community, I became concerned that our administration wouldn't be able to reach them all," said Board President Joseph Como Jr. "I believe it was important to make sure that all children were fed, and I also believe that this program should not exist forever, and this board needs to make sure it does not continue forever."
Board members said they were inundated with calls and emails over the last several days, including threats.

"I was told to put a bullet in my head, I was told that children would die, I was told that children would starve, and that’s unacceptable," said board member Corey Montiho, who voted not to rescind the June vote.

Board member Karin Rajnicek said people left dozens of low-star reviews on her salon, a "five-star business that is no longer," and people also called and left voicemails hundreds of times within a few hours. She said she understands the value of programs for free lunch, which she said helped her family through a tough financial spot, but the district has resources to keep that going for families in need without the universal Summer Seamless Option.
More at the link, but I am not impressed with the school board.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 654902001/

From 30 Aug 21:

An 88-year-old University of Georgia professor resigned in the middle of a class last week after a student did not put on her mask properly.

Psychology professor Irwin Bernstein was conducting his second class of the semester on Tuesday when an unnamed student, who was not present on the first day, walked in without a mask, according to the campus newspaper, The Red & Black. Bernstein asked the student to get a mask from an advising office, but a fellow classmate gave the student a disposable one.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:27 pm Wisconsin Public Radio -

Waukesha School Board Reverses Course, Takes Federal Money To Fund Free School Meals
The Waukesha School District's Board voted 5-4 Monday night to rescind its June decision not to participate in a temporary federal program that provides free school lunches to all families regardless of income after previously being the only eligible Wisconsin school district to opt out.

"As I learned more about some of the situations that exist in our community, I became concerned that our administration wouldn't be able to reach them all," said Board President Joseph Como Jr. "I believe it was important to make sure that all children were fed, and I also believe that this program should not exist forever, and this board needs to make sure it does not continue forever."
Board members said they were inundated with calls and emails over the last several days, including threats.

"I was told to put a bullet in my head, I was told that children would die, I was told that children would starve, and that’s unacceptable," said board member Corey Montiho, who voted not to rescind the June vote.

Board member Karin Rajnicek said people left dozens of low-star reviews on her salon, a "five-star business that is no longer," and people also called and left voicemails hundreds of times within a few hours. She said she understands the value of programs for free lunch, which she said helped her family through a tough financial spot, but the district has resources to keep that going for families in need without the universal Summer Seamless Option.
More at the link, but I am not impressed with the school board.
They are an outer suburb, 93% white who want to think that those poor people who need the lunches live elsewhere (white folks never need handouts blah blah blah even though the school district I taught in was rural white and 40% free or reduced lunch). It is worth noting that the percentage white in that district when from 95 to 93 between 2000 and 2010. This area may well be home to some of those who are afraid of the browning of America and having the meals just admits it because only the black and Hispanic children need free meals (they like that lie).
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Florida teacher of the year arrested after allegedly striking student over Instagram post

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/edu ... 230686001/
The arrest came after a student said Lee called her into her classroom to speak privately and allegedly struck her on the face causing a bloody nose, according to a Duval Schools Police report.

Lee, the student — who is a minor and is not named in the report — and other witnesses told the responding police officer that the incident began with a conversation about an Instagram post earlier this week.

On Wednesday, the Duval County Public Schools Instagram account posted a photo of Lee, congratulating her for being named the school's Teacher of the Year. But several comments on the post questioned the win, asking if Lee was the same teacher who used the 'n' word during instruction and alleging other microaggressions committed against students, according to the police report. The original Instagram post and comments has since been deleted.

Lee responded to one of the comments and also explained to a police officer Friday that she used the 'n' word when reading the novel 'Of Mice and Men' in class. Teachings of the book have previously come under fire across the country, raising the question of how to ethically teach readings with terms and phrases that are no longer acceptable.

The responding officer said school surveillance footage shows Lee "walking at an aggressive pace" to her classroom before the incident and the student, about four minutes later, leaving the classroom holding her face and walking with a "low demeanor" to a guidance counselor's office, where she reported the incident.

Lee told police, according to the report, that she left her door open when the student was in her classroom. But police said another student, who was decorating Lee's classroom door that morning, said Lee asked him to leave and she closed the door behind him. The student reported hearing the teacher raise her voice as he was standing in the hallway.
Teacher should have reported the Instagram posting to the school administration and then let them handle it if there was anything that needed handling.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/1 ... ed-assault
'Liberty bullied me into silence': Liberty University dismissed students who reported assault

The infamous Liberty University is making headlines again, this time for allegedly punishing students who report sexual assault. According to ProPublica, students who report rape are in violation of the school’s code of conduct, known as the Liberty Way, and as a result, these students have been not only threatened but penalized in some form including finding them guilty for premarital sex and drinking alcohol.

ProPublica spoke to more than 50 former students in addition to receiving records from over a dozen cases. At least three students who spoke to the outlet said they were asked to sign reports upon reporting their assault, with the form stating that they recognized they could be penalized for breaking the school’s ethics code, which barred alcohol and premarital sex.

“I feel like Liberty bullied me into silence after what happened to me,” another former student identified as Diane Stargel told ProPublica. “I’ve always regretted that I never got my day in court. But at least now I can stand up and say, ‘Yeah, that happened to me.’”

Additionally, important aspects of the case files were removed, including photos, because they were too “explicit.”

Former and current students aren’t the only ones speaking up on the injustices: Amongst those speaking up against Liberty University’s policies and treatment of survivors is former Senior Vice President of Communications Scott Lamb. Lamb referred to the school’s inability to speak up and report an assault on campus as a “conspiracy of silence.” He was fired earlier this month after first bringing up the school’s inability to address sexual assault internally.

“Concerns about sexual assault would go up the chain and then die,” Lamb said.
Lamb has filed suit.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/1 ... an-student
NJ student left in ‘shock’ after teacher responds to his question with remark about ‘terrorists’

A Muslim Arab American high school student was left "in shock" after a teacher responded to his question about math homework using the term “terrorists." According to WABC, the teacher from Ridgefield Memorial High School in Bergen County, New Jersey, made the insensitive comment following a question from Mohammed Zubi, a senior student, regarding his math work. Zubi had asked his teacher if he could finish an assignment at home on Tuesday.

"He responded saying, 'We don't negotiate with terrorists,'" Zubi told WABC. "So I look around in shock, there's people laughing, and there's other people in shock, and I turn around and ask my friend, 'Did he really just say that?' and she said yes.”
The teacher has been suspended pending an investigation after this went viral on social media.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:58 am Florida teacher of the year arrested after allegedly striking student over Instagram post

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/edu ... 230686001/
The arrest came after a student said Lee called her into her classroom to speak privately and allegedly struck her on the face causing a bloody nose, according to a Duval Schools Police report.

Lee, the student — who is a minor and is not named in the report — and other witnesses told the responding police officer that the incident began with a conversation about an Instagram post earlier this week.

On Wednesday, the Duval County Public Schools Instagram account posted a photo of Lee, congratulating her for being named the school's Teacher of the Year. But several comments on the post questioned the win, asking if Lee was the same teacher who used the 'n' word during instruction and alleging other microaggressions committed against students, according to the police report. The original Instagram post and comments has since been deleted.

Lee responded to one of the comments and also explained to a police officer Friday that she used the 'n' word when reading the novel 'Of Mice and Men' in class. Teachings of the book have previously come under fire across the country, raising the question of how to ethically teach readings with terms and phrases that are no longer acceptable.

The responding officer said school surveillance footage shows Lee "walking at an aggressive pace" to her classroom before the incident and the student, about four minutes later, leaving the classroom holding her face and walking with a "low demeanor" to a guidance counselor's office, where she reported the incident.

Lee told police, according to the report, that she left her door open when the student was in her classroom. But police said another student, who was decorating Lee's classroom door that morning, said Lee asked him to leave and she closed the door behind him
. The student reported hearing the teacher raise her voice as he was standing in the hallway.
Teacher should have reported the Instagram posting to the school administration and then let them handle it if there was anything that needed handling.
I 100% believe the student.
According to the police report, on Friday morning Lee contacted the student's first-period teacher and said she wanted to talk to the student, who is not in any of Lee's classes. The teacher told the student when she arrived, but the girl told police she felt uneasy about seeing Lee and went to the bathroom instead. When she returned, Lee came to her first-period classroom, collected her, and rushed back to her own room while yelling at the student to keep up, the girl said.

In the report, the student says that Lee asked her why she threatened Lee. The student said she did not, and Lee struck her in the face with the heel of her hand, causing her nose to start bleeding. The student said Lee continued to hit her around the top of her head while loudly cursing and calling her names. The student tried to grab Lee's arms, the report said, and Lee kicked her on the lower leg before opening the rear door and telling her to get out.

What does Caroline Melanie Lee say happened?

Lee described the same Instagram exchange but said another student alerted her to a message that she interpreted as "a threat to kill her," so she told police that she wanted to meet privately with the student to discuss it. She denied closing her doors, saying "she always leaves her doors open."

Lee told police she was not afraid of the student and hadn't felt the need to report the alleged threat to police or administrative staff. She did say she felt "a range of emotions" during her contact with the student, the report said, and felt angry, upset, and disappointed
. She asked the student to take down the comment about Lee using the "n" word "because everyone sees those posts."

According to the report, Lee said she wanted to impress upon the student that was "not racist and is a nice person." :doh: After that, she told the student to leave her classroom.

Lee had no explanation for the student's bleeding nose. She also pointed out to police in the interview that it was the student's word against hers.

What do witnesses say?

The student at Lee's door told police he was decorating it when she asked him to leave and closed the door, and he could hear yelling inside. After the girl left Lee let him come back in, the report says, and when he asked what happened she said she wanted to talk to the girl about the Instagram post and the girl called her a racist.

The guidance counselor told police that the student arrived at the office in shock and bleeding from the nose. The counselor advised her to go to student services, but the student said she was afraid of leaving the safety of the office in case Lee was outside. The counselor told police she found the student's account believable.

Is there video of Caroline Melanie Lee and the student?

The video footage revealed the following, according to the police report:

8:21:50 a.m.: Lee leaves her classroom by the back door.

8:22:59 a.m.: Lee returns at an "aggressive pace," leading the student. Both enter the classroom's back door.

8:23:02 a.m.: Lee motions away the student at the front door and closed the front door.

8:23:31 a.m.: Lee shuts the rear door.

8:24:13 a.m.: The student exits the rear door of the classroom. According to the report, her "demeanor seems low" and she is holding the front of her face. She goes directly to the guidance office.
Lee was really angry. She pulled a student out of another teacher's classroom? WTF?

It's really stupid to say that the accusation is "my word against her word". That never has to be pointed out when that's true.

The video shows that Lee lied about closing her classroom door.

The student was smart to go directly to a guidance counselor. The video shows that the student didn't stop before seeing a school employee.

So, who called police? It was likely a school employee. They're mandatory reporters.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Tiredretiredlawyer

I agree with LM K. This teacher is seriously short of self and situational awareness.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

spiduh wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:24 pm
A school district opted out of a free meals program, saying students could ‘become spoiled’

Can't have those children expecting they are going to get food, they'll get spoiled.
I'm sure they left the vending machines with the sugary drinks in the schools.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

IIRC the school district rescinded a few weeks later.
raison de arizona

Lani

Post by Lani »

Sadly true.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/1 ... ver-taught
Texas town's first Black principal fired over CRT, which school district admits was never taught

The first Black principal of Colleyville Heritage High School in Grapevine, Texas, has lost his job after a months-long battle with the school board, which accused him of teaching and promoting critical race theory (CRT) in his school.

Just a month after Dr. James Whitfield wrote a letter decrying the deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, and Breonna Taylor, saying systemic racism was “alive and well” and that “education is the key to stomping out ignorance, hate, and systemic racism,” Stetson Clark, a former school board candidate at Grapevine-Colleyville High School, called for the principal’s firing.

Whitfield received a disciplinary letter from the district a few weeks later and was placed on administrative leave soon after that. In late July, the board then recommended a proposal not to renew Whitfield's contract for the 2022-2023 school year.

In addition to Whitfield’s email condemning the deaths of Black folk, the mostly white Texas community, had issues with the fact that Whitfield has a white wife and his participation on a district-approved panel about diverse differences.

And even though the school district acknowledges that CRT was never taught in the school, these Karens and Brandons have elected to offer the principal a settlement in lieu of keeping him in his job.
Grapevine is within an hour's drive from.my grandgurlzz's school district the infamous Southlake.
raison de arizona

They don't like that fancy learnin' in Kansas?
Kansas Becomes 2nd State to Remove Books From School Libraries

A Kansas school district has removed more than two dozen books from its library shelves to review them after other school systems challenged the material.

The books that have been removed from circulation in the Goddard school district also include “The Handmaid’s Tale” by Margaret Atwood; “The Bluest Eye” by Toni Morrison; “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” by Stephen Chbosky; “Fences,” a play by August Wilson that won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1987; and “They Called Themselves the K.K.K.,” a historical look at how the white supremacist group took root in America.

The movement to censor what some parents see as “controversial” material has been gaining traction in conservative circles as of late. A Texas lawmaker went as far as to compile a list of 850 books he found objectionable.

The Associated Press, quoting local Kansas news station KMUW-FM, reported that the assistant superintendent for academic affairs in Goddard said Tuesday that one parent objected to language he found offensive in “The Hate U Give,” a novel about the aftermath of a police officer killing a Black teenager. The parent then submitted a list of books he questioned, and district officials agreed to halt checkouts and complete a review.
https://hillreporter.com/kansas-becomes ... ies-117489
raison de arizona

Not so much the education system, although I suppose we will see how they react to the directive.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”