The education system behaving badly

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: The education system behaving badly

Post by raison de arizona »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:33 pm https://twitter.com/KHOU/status/1546242608686632961

Not just those two districts.

In Texas schools reopen in mid August. They don't have much time to recruit and hire teachers.
It's possible I may have mentioned this before, but we have billboards here in AZ luring teachers to jump ship to TX for more than double the pay. In AZ, they've suspended having to have a teaching license for awhile now, but this year they have also suspended the requirement for teachers to be college graduates. Things are tough all over.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

I thought that a sizable shortage of teachers was part of Texas and Arizona's master plan, no?

Keep the unwashed masses uneducated and easily manipulated by slick-talking politicians. Isn't that how a lot of them get elected anyway?

Heaven forbid that the States actually want their youth to think critically and solve problems.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
raison de arizona

Didn't find a news story on this, I would imagine there would be one forthcoming, should it prove legit.
Juliana Souza, PhD 🧬🌱 @julopessouzas wrote: This week an undergrad student committed suicide during his thesis defense. People mention how humiliated he was by one of his evaluators. We need to take urgent action on mental health in academia and vehemently fight against academic bullies. Guilherme, I'm sorry we failed you.

My condolences to his family and friends.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

humblescribe wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:26 pm I thought that a sizable shortage of teachers was part of Texas and Arizona's master plan, no?

Keep the unwashed masses uneducated and easily manipulated by slick-talking politicians. Isn't that how a lot of them get elected anyway?

Heaven forbid that the States actually want their youth to think critically and solve problems.
The fewer qualified teachers you have, the more room there is for others with non-educational goals to step in. One of the drivers behind islamic terrorism was various aid agencies cutting back support funding for schools in poor countries, so fundamentalist groups stepped up and provided 'religious schools' that were in no small part radicalization pipelines.

When you look at the right in the US, they are big proponents of both home schooling and religious schools, in no small part due to their utility for radicalizing. The more you gut the public system, the more people turn to these other providers who do not have education as their objective.
raison de arizona

neeneko wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:05 pm
humblescribe wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:26 pm I thought that a sizable shortage of teachers was part of Texas and Arizona's master plan, no?

The fewer qualified teachers you have, the more room there is for others with non-educational goals to step in. One of the drivers behind islamic terrorism was various aid agencies cutting back support funding for schools in poor countries, so fundamentalist groups stepped up and provided 'religious schools' that were in no small part radicalization pipelines.

When you look at the right in the US, they are big proponents of both home schooling and religious schools, in no small part due to their utility for radicalizing. The more you gut the public system, the more people turn to these other providers who do not have education as their objective.
Funny you should say that. Charlie Kirk/TPUSA are starting a pre-school thru 12th grade school in AZ called Dream City Christian School, which with our new voucher system (leading the nation) will have a direct pipeline to tax dollars for funding.
Newsweek wrote:Its curriculum and school culture is based on what founder and Executive Director Charlie Kirk called "bedrock principles"—to never waver from the truth, to teach self-government and liberty and to honor "God's promise that all are created equal."
https://www.newsweek.com/charlie-kirk-l ... um-1714091

And now that they've further relaxed standards, they will not only NOT require teaching certifications, they will not even be requiring college educations for faculty positions.

I'm sure this will end well.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

A good friend's daughter is a teacher in TN. She has a masters degree in spec ed. Her direct supervisor has a community college degree (2 years) in elementary ed. They work with the worst of the worst spec ed kids (in terms of behavior issues, not that the kids are "bad") and the teacher with seniority is not only clueless, she's terrified of the kids. That's not the way to run a classroom of violent, out-of-control kids.
raison de arizona

dara faye @darafaye wrote: A special needs girl in Texas whose mental capacity is the age of 6 years old, was raped inside her HS in Nov. 2021.

The school district said she gave consent by walking down the hallway with the boy. So he got 3 days suspension & a grand jury decided not to press charges.
https://www.fox26houston.com/news/alvin ... s-bathroom
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Well, not badly as such. Just dealing with teacher shortages as best they can.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

I dunno about the veracity of this, but I know we've suspended all kinds of qualifications for teachers here in AZ, so it wouldn't surprise me were it true.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:19 pm I dunno about the veracity of this, but I know we've suspended all kinds of qualifications for teachers here in AZ, so it wouldn't surprise me were it true.
The story is false. Or the local School District did not understand the law. The Gainesville Sun newspaper reached out to Florida DoEd and this was their update to their own story about the situation:
The Florida Department of Education, however, has clarified that spouses are only eligible for fee waivers.
i.e., Veterans *AND* Spouses do not have to pay the fee for certification, but only the Veteran gets to teach without meeting other qualifications. I mean, not that this is super-wonderful, but I'm sure we'll get more teachers like this guy:

But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:05 pm The story is false. Or the local School District did not understand the law. The Gainesville Sun newspaper reached out to Florida DoEd and this was their update to their own story about the situation:
The Florida Department of Education, however, has clarified that spouses are only eligible for fee waivers.
i.e., Veterans *AND* Spouses do not have to pay the fee for certification, but only the Veteran gets to teach without meeting other qualifications. I mean, not that this is super-wonderful, but I'm sure we'll get more teachers like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw
Loves me some Key & Peele, nice to catch that after the Jon Stewart video twisted me all up.

And I see, 4 years military service with an honorable or medical discharge qualifies one to teach in Florida. I'd be snarky here, but the teacher shortage is real and I'm going to be a little snarky and say that maybe we could pay teachers more rather than lowering the qualifications. Not that military veterans wouldn't necessarily make great teachers, but it should hardly be the only qualification.
https://www.gainesville.com/story/news/ ... 084909002/
raison de arizona

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

In Texas public schools begin fall classes in mid to late August (so the football championships can finish before Christmas). There isn't much time left to hire faculty.

New teachers need time to prepare their classrooms, write lesson plans, attend teacher in service training, etc.

The schools need time to conduct background checks.

If things haven't changed since the spring, substitute teachers will be generally unavailable.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

What an abysmal failure. We are failing our teachers, we are failing our children. We are failing our future. There are a myriad of reasons for this, but in the end, that is the result.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

To expand on my previous post.

Our older daughter who is a returning teacher in the same district where she taught last year has already started teacher in service training for the fall semester. Any new teacher hired this week or later will begin with a training deficit not including mandatory new to the district teacher training.

Sure glad I am not a Texas school superintendent or principal. The opening of school this year will be chaotic.
raison de arizona

Local school.
What is “1776 curriculum?” We stopped by a Peoria school teaching it to find out
The 1776 curriculum, which focuses on history and civics, was developed by Hillsdale College, a private Christian school in Michigan.

The 1776 curriculum got renewed attention this week when Republican gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake said she supported it. So what is it exactly? What does it involve? Arizona’s Family learned a school in Peoria uses it.

It’s called Candeo Peoria. The public charter school says its “mission is to grow wisdom and virtue for a life well lived.” A part of their liberal arts education includes the 1776 curriculum.

“It really lays out this prescribed knowledge that all Americans should know. Starting in their youngest years, in kindergarten and with that it includes key vocabulary, big ideas and questions, important dates, timelines,” Becky Palisuri, the Head of the School, said.

The 1776 curriculum, which focuses on history and civics, was developed by Hillsdale College, a private Christian school in Michigan. It was partly inspired by what former President Trump called a “patriotic education.”
:snippity:
https://www.azfamily.com/2022/08/20/wha ... -find-out/
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:23 pm Local school.
What is “1776 curriculum?” We stopped by a Peoria school teaching it to find out
The 1776 curriculum, which focuses on history and civics, was developed by Hillsdale College, a private Christian school in Michigan.

The 1776 curriculum got renewed attention this week when Republican gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake said she supported it. So what is it exactly? What does it involve? Arizona’s Family learned a school in Peoria uses it.

It’s called Candeo Peoria. The public charter school says its “mission is to grow wisdom and virtue for a life well lived.” A part of their liberal arts education includes the 1776 curriculum.

“It really lays out this prescribed knowledge that all Americans should know. Starting in their youngest years, in kindergarten and with that it includes key vocabulary, big ideas and questions, important dates, timelines,” Becky Palisuri, the Head of the School, said.

The 1776 curriculum, which focuses on history and civics, was developed by Hillsdale College, a private Christian school in Michigan. It
was partly inspired by what former President Trump called a “patriotic education.”
:snippity:
https://www.azfamily.com/2022/08/20/wha ... -find-out/
The same that our patriotic campers on The Mall iin DC have on their webpage as origin of all wisdom. :blackeye:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kill their public funding now.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:58 pm Kill their public funding now.
Mastriano, running for governor in PA, wants to defund public education and give half the money to parents for just this kind of thing.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:19 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:05 pm The story is false. Or the local School District did not understand the law. The Gainesville Sun newspaper reached out to Florida DoEd and this was their update to their own story about the situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw
Loves me some Key & Peele, nice to catch that after the Jon Stewart video twisted me all up.

And I see, 4 years military service with an honorable or medical discharge qualifies one to teach in Florida. I'd be snarky here, but the teacher shortage is real and I'm going to be a little snarky and say that maybe we could pay teachers more rather than lowering the qualifications. Not that military veterans wouldn't necessarily make great teachers, but it should hardly be the only qualification.
About 20% of the people arrested for J6 are/were military. Once the Florida residents serve their 60+ days, they'll be ready to teach the kiddies....oh shit I can't even think about it.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Jim

Post by Jim »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:19 pm

Just spitballing here...but didn't the military drop their qualifications some years ago to attract more to the military? Could Florida kids be taught by some with a GED and 60 hours of shop?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

At this point, FL kids could be taught by anyone with a trump* flag hanging off the side of their trailer....probably.

*or DeSantis

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

This ostensibly about FL, but it covers a lot of ground regarding Hillsdale including its connections to tfg and the Supreme Court via the Thomases. Seven minutes.
Conservative group pushes to shift public schools to Christian nationalist principles

Katherine Joyce, investigative reporter at Salon, talks with Alex Wagner about the role of Hillsdale College at the center of the conservative effort to make education a political battlefield with initiatives like the "Stop Woke Act" in Florida to align civic and history curricula with right-wing Christian perspectives.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... i-AA10RbMA
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Effff....Efffff.....Efffff......Efffffff...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/desant ... nservative

DeSantis-backed candidates flip Florida school board from liberal to conservative

Several actually, including Sarasota and Miami.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”