Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Crypto - Bitcoin XRP ETH DarkMoon NFTs

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Crypto - Bitcoin XRP ETH DarkMoon NFTs

Post by RTH10260 »

tek wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:51 am https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/06/17/ ... newsletter
We’re in ‘crypto winter.’ Here’s what locals think about the future of the industry.
He’s talking about the industry’s longer-term promise. Balter believes crypto’s underlying blockchain technology has the potential to transform how all financial transactions are conducted, and that’s what keeps him optimistic despite the sobering market.
blockchain does not need cryptocurrency to function. Quite the opposite.
Believing in cryptocurrency because you think it helps 'blockchain technology' is nutz.
Blockchain no longer needs cryptocurrency to function. Cryptocurrencies were the motor to get the blockchain idea running. They financed the research of algorithms, how to create tokens (efficiently), how to handle a blockchain transactions securely, how to include scripts into tokens to achieve secure flexibility. The NFT fad is the expression of how tokens can be used for non-currency entities. The current NFT fad is special as they were tied to cryptocurrencies as way to trade them. Companies have for some time now used blockchains to document contracts in the electronic world, all parties share the token to the secured non-alterable version. Companies like the airline industry have started to use blockchain tokens for inventory management and parts tracking. No party in a supply chain can sneak in an aftermarket item not produced to specs.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:36 am
Dogecoin investor sues Elon Musk, Tesla and SpaceX for $258 billion

The crypto sell-off of the past several weeks has erased hundreds of billions of dollars in paper gains and is leaving plenty of had-been crypto millionaires looking for something else to hold on to.

A class action lawsuit was filed Thursday in federal court in Manhattan by an American Dogecoin investor who is accusing Elon Musk, Tesla and SpaceX of operating an illegal racketeering enterprise to inflate the price of the cryptocurrency. Musk has frequently referenced the dog-themed cryptocurrency on his Twitter account, mentions that often caused the price of the token to spike.

The plaintiff in this suit seems to use those tweets and Musk's own references to himself as the "Dogefather" as proof that Musk has been controlling the cryptocurrency and is liable for damages among investors who have lost money as the cryptocurrency has tumbled from its high of nearly $0.74 to just over $0.05 in recent days.

The complaint calls for triple the damages of $86 billion, which is how much the plaintiff alleges has been lost by Dogecoin investors since Musk first started tweeting about it.

“Defendants falsely and deceptively claim that Dogecoin is a legitimate investment when it has no value at all,” the plaintiff, Keith Johnson, noted in the complaint. "Since Defendant Musk and his corporations SpaceX and Tesla, Inc began purchasing, developing, promoting, supporting and operating Dogecoin in 2019, Plaintiff and the class have lost approximately $86 billion in this Crypto Pyramid Scheme."
https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/dogecoin-i ... 36943.html
How does one relate the value of a cryptocurrency to a fiat currency for a lawsuit? Does one expect damages to be paid in cryptocurrency?

PS. don't forget the IRS is reading also too, did you correctly submit tax return documents including the stash of cryptocurrencies?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Eurobot, you are very lucky you don't work for that rascal, because that would mean you are FIRED. So very, very fired, for asking really annoying questions. :fingerwag:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

This was apparently some sort of guerrilla marketing ploy.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Was this just a fun afternoon or did some person actually now what NFT stands for?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Look at the other signs. They know quite well :)
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Could have been the Westboro Baptist Church :lol:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... ar-AAYNna5
Crypto Miners Are Dumping Tons Of GPUs, So Maybe You Can Finally Get One

The crypto market is continuing to fall, which has led a ton of miners to exit the market or to downscale their operations, thus finding themselves in possession of valuable computer components that they now no longer need. Some such miners, many from China and South Asia (where electricity is cheaper), are now taking that hardware and dumping it on e-commerce websites. As a result, GPUs that usually go for $500 to $600 are selling for around half that price on the secondhand market.

As noted by PC Gamer, GPUs are suddenly flooding the market, a trend likely driven by several factors. The major one is how cryptocurrency prices have been plummeting since this winter. Now that it seems like the market won’t make a turnaround anytime soon, miners are jumping ship. And these aren’t pristine, out-of-the-box GeForce RTX 3060s that they’re selling. These graphics cards have been used to mine crypto, which uses tons of electricity. Buyers have found that these RTX 3060s were cheap for a reason—many of them are defective after prolonged use. So the common wisdom seems to be that you shouldn’t be too eager to score some used GPUs from an unknown buyer.

However, there’s been some contention in the tech community about how degraded these graphics cards really are. PC World claims that buying a used graphics card from an experienced miner beats buying one from a gamer (who tends to “overclock” their GPUs). Tech YouTuber Linus Sebastian tested some mining GPUs on camera and found that the used graphics cards can still perform well—if they were carefully maintained by their previous owner. So if you must buy a GPU from a miner who wasted a ton of electricity on speculative currency, then you should at least find a reputable seller. Good luck with that, by the way.

If you ask me, I think it’s funnier to let miners languish with a bunch of expensive graphics cards that they can’t even get rid of. It is annoying, though, that Nvidia benefited hugely from the crypto boom, so much so, in fact, that the company got hit by a federal fine for trying to hide how crypto boosted its profits. Hey, at least this crypto nightmare is finally over *knocks on wood* and we’ll all no doubt be seeing far more reasonable graphics card prices very, very soon.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

One thing to bewarw of, there are standard graphic cards that were put to use cause of their special computational power, and then there has been a market ofmining cards specially engineered with ASICs to only perfoorm highspeed computations for specific, speak a single, cryptocurrency. Earlier this year I did see such a plaform offered on a local auction site. I sniffed around and it turns out that this platform generated coins only matching a vserion 1 specification. The cryptocurrency blockchain would no longer accept coins minted to that spec. Any buyer not making their due dilligence would be buying scrap yard products. I was astonished to see that this mining rig was offered locally in Switzland cause the cryptocurrency has a local following only in South East Asia, Indonesia especially, swapping over to the Philippines and Thailand.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

A further note, those graphic cards on the market are the high end products that otherwise would have been bought by gamers for their equally high perfomance game rig. You regular desktop computer may not even be up to the necessary motherboard standard required to connect such a graphics card. So don't get too excited, know what you are doing.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:05 pmYour regular desktop computer may not even be up to the necessary motherboard standard required to connect such a graphics card.
And even if you can install the card, you might need a bigger power supply to run it (this has happened to me twice: bought a new card, had to buy a new power supply).
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

longer article, worth reading 
Pentagon finds concerning vulnerabilities on blockchain
A new report reveals that blockchain is neither decentralized nor updated.

by Ray Fernandez in Security
on June 28, 2022, 3:08 PM PDT

A report commissioned by the Pentagon concluded that the blockchain is not decentralized, is vulnerable to attacks and is running outdated software. The report, “Are Blockchains Decentralized, Unintended Centralities in Distributed Ledgers”, uncovered that a subset of participants can “exert excessive and centralized control over the entire blockchain system.”

The findings of the report are a cause of concern for a wide range of sectors, but especially serious for security, fintech, big tech and the crypto industries, which continue to grow.

The Pentagon’s research arm, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), engaged Trail of Bits—a security research organization—to investigate the blockchain. Trail of Bits focused on Bitcoin and Ethereum, the two leading cryptocurrencies in the global market.

Trail of Bits says that it only takes four entities to disrupt Bitcoin and only two to disrupt Ethereum. Additionally, 60% of all Bitcoin traffic moves through just three ISPs. Outdated and unencrypted software and blockchain protocols were also identified by the organization.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/pe ... lockchain/
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:57 pm One thing to bewarw of, there are standard graphic cards that were put to use cause of their special computational power, and then there has been a market ofmining cards specially engineered with ASICs to only perfoorm highspeed computations for specific, speak a single, cryptocurrency. Earlier this year I did see such a plaform offered on a local auction site. I sniffed around and it turns out that this platform generated coins only matching a vserion 1 specification. The cryptocurrency blockchain would no longer accept coins minted to that spec. Any buyer not making their due dilligence would be buying scrap yard products. I was astonished to see that this mining rig was offered locally in Switzland cause the cryptocurrency has a local following only in South East Asia, Indonesia especially, swapping over to the Philippines and Thailand.
I have been seeing so many of these outdated rigs showing up on craigslist latetly, with people asking outlandish amounts for them. The 'I need to find a bigger sucker fast!' thing has really been spiraling.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:00 am longer article, worth reading 
Stupid thing is, you don't even really need to hack the blockchain itself, all you need is big stakeholders deciding they don't like something. Etherium is the highest profile example.... transactions happened that hurt the big players, so they forked it to undo the transactions and moved all their money over to the new one, rendering the old one worthless because they were not there anymore. These tiny systems are easy to manipulate by moderately wealthy players.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

PennyWise malware on YouTube targets cryptocurrency wallets and browsers
Learn more about how this stealer malware operates and how to protect yourself from it now.

by Cedric Pernet in Security
on July 5, 2022, 6:48 AM PDT

A new stealer dubbed PennyWise by its developers has appeared recently, exposed by Cyble Research Labs. The researchers observed multiple samples of the malware in the wild, making it an active threat. The threat focuses on stealing sensitive browser data and cryptocurrency wallets, and it comes as the Pentagon has raised concerns about the blockchain.

An unusual way of spreading: YouTube

The malware pretends to be a free Bitcoin mining application, which advertises and can be downloaded via a Youtube video (Figure A).

While this screen capture shows a very limited number of visitors, Cyble has observed over 80 videos on YouTube for mass infection, all stored on the threat actor’s YouTube channel.

As the users watch the video, they are enticed to download a password-protected archive file, which contains the advertised Bitcoin mining software, but which is in fact the PennyWise malware.

The use of a password-protected archive is a known social engineering method for enforcing trust, as users tend to be less suspicious when content is password-protected.

In an additional attempt to appear more legitimate, the threat actor adds a link to VirusTotal which shows antivirus results for a clean file that is not the malware. The threat actor also mentions the user might need to turn off his antivirus if he is not allowed to download the file but that it is completely safe (Figure B).

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/pe ... be-crypto/
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Got an email with my mobile phone number as the subject line saying, incoherently so am interpreting as best I can, if I don't cough up bitcoin in 24 hours videos of my heinous activities will be emailed to my full contact list. It bothers me that my phone number was used but it's probably online somewhere. I think I've seen this kind of thing before, 15 plus years ago, minus the bitcoin angle.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:24 am Got an email with my mobile phone number as the subject line saying, incoherently so am interpreting as best I can, if I don't cough up bitcoin in 24 hours videos of my heinous activities will be emailed to my full contact list. It bothers me that my phone number was used but it's probably online somewhere. I think I've seen this kind of thing before, 15 plus years ago, minus the bitcoin angle.
Having the correct email address to the phone number indicares that there was once a data breach somewhere where those items were hatvested from.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I had a breach on one of my email accounts once. I decided to delete my contact list on that account and never had any more trouble.

And ya I got one of those "oooh if you don't send me bitcoin all your contacts will go blind!" emails. I just emailed "Go ahead, my family would probably die of boredom seeing the stuff I get up to."
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:34 am
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:24 am Got an email with my mobile phone number as the subject line saying, incoherently so am interpreting as best I can, if I don't cough up bitcoin in 24 hours videos of my heinous activities will be emailed to my full contact list. It bothers me that my phone number was used but it's probably online somewhere. I think I've seen this kind of thing before, 15 plus years ago, minus the bitcoin angle.
Having the correct email address to the phone number indicares that there was once a data breach somewhere where those items were hatvested from.
Yeah, there've been several. Latest one was a health care provider.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

If the sender is using a wellknown email provider like Google or Yahoo, then just *forward* a copy to address abuse@emailprovider, they will eventually shut down the account. If they use some obscure non-US provider skip this advice.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

You can pound sand on the BTC but I might toss you $5 is you can upgrade them to 1080HD and send me a copy.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Celsius Networks: cryptocurrency lender files for bankruptcy
Company enters Chapter 11 process as fallout continues from collapse of global cryptocurrency networks

Staff and agencies
Thu 14 Jul 2022 03.10 BST

The cryptocurrency lender Celsius Network has announced it has filed for bankruptcy.

Crypto lending has tumbled in the recent months following a crash in cryptocurrency prices and the collapse of major token TerraUSD in May.

Celsius had paused withdrawals and transfers between accounts last month, blaming extreme market conditions. State securities regulators in New Jersey, Texas and Washington had stepped in to investigate the crypto lender’s decision.

Announcing Celsius had filed for Chapter 11 protection, members of the special committee of the board of directors said on Wednesday: “Today’s filing follows the difficult but necessary decision by Celsius last month to pause withdrawals, swaps, and transfers on its platform to stabilise its business and protect its customers.

“Without a pause, the acceleration of withdrawals would have allowed certain customers – those who were first to act – to be paid in full while leaving others behind to wait for Celsius to harvest value from illiquid or longer-term asset deployment activities before they receive a recovery.”

The US company said it had $167m cash on hand to provide liquidity to support certain operations during the restructuring process. It listed its estimated assets and liabilities at between $1bn and $10bn on a consolidated basis.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... bankruptcy
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Oops.

A little more than a penny on the dollar, which they're gonna use to pay themselves their salary and the ''investors'' will get bupkiss.

Money of the future!
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Voyager, the crypto exchange that Mark Cuban was trying to get his groupies to invest it, is also filing for chapter 11, and the judge is not convinced they should be able to do that.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:like:

Return to “Economy”