Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Religious Threadjacks

Sam the Centipede

Re: Religious Threadjacks

Post by Sam the Centipede »

The decree itself is at https://worcesterdiocese.org/news/bisho ... ity-school. It's worth a read.

I see a typical tone-deaf message from an out of touch cleric. It is fake love wrapped in hypocritical phrases. The bishop despises Black Lives Matter but realizes that he shouldn't appear racist (whether he is or not) so produces some crap about BLM promoting ideas antithetical to some of his church's teaching.

He cannot bring himself to say anything welcoming about gay people. Cast them out! Shun them!

The school is well to be rid of this tyrannical priest and his tortured hateful ethics.

I guess "my imaginary deity and my intolerant church are more important than your real world problems, now shut up and do as you are told" is still some priests' key message.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Interesting that a Fox News station in Detroit is reporting on matters in MA. Detroit has a majority black population, but the Detroit Metro area also has a strong Catholic presence created by WWII eastern European refugees escaping the war. Hard to guess who the station is catering to.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/ ... s-nae.html
Presbyterian Church in America Leaves National Association of Evangelicals
The PCA has been connected with the NAE since the denomination's founding, but has always fought about it.

Presbyterian elders voting for the breakup cited the NAE’s increasing political advocacy, which sometimes conflicted with more conservative Presbyterian churches. Elders mentioned the NAE’s advocacy on climate change, immigration, the death penalty, and COVID-19, among other issues.

Elders who wanted to remain with the NAE argued the groups had a historical bond and that in a culture increasingly hostile to Christianity, churches across denominations needed to work together on issues of common cause. The vote to leave was about 60 percent to 40 percent.

The NAE represents 39 denominations, from Free Methodist USA to the Foursquare Church, as well as nonprofits, schools, and individual congregations. It was founded in 1942 as a response to the mainline National Council of Churches and the fundamentalist Presbyterian Carl McIntire’s American Council of Christian Churches. In representing evangelicals in various spheres, it issues statements on political issues, files Supreme Court briefs on church-related cases, and generally connects evangelical groups to work together.

The head of the NAE since 2020, Walter Kim, is a member of the PCA and a teacher-in-residence at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Charlottesville, Virginia. (He is also on CT’s board.)

“It is a little awkward,” said David Coffin, a PCA pastor who supported the measure to leave, about Kim leading the NAE. An NAE spokesperson said the group does not comment on denominational decisions.

Roy Taylor, the former and longtime stated clerk of the PCA, was strongly in favor of remaining with the NAE, where he has served as chairman of the board. He filed a protest against the vote, which he had never done before. In the PCA, filing a protest is like a Supreme Court justice dissenting from a majority opinion, explaining why a decision was wrong.

The PCA’s ties to the NAE have been controversial since its founding. The denomination’s mission arm joined the NAE in 1973, and the full denomination joined in 1986. In 1974, at the PCA’s second general assembly of its existence, a number of overtures (essentially legislation) demanded that the new denomination avoid affiliation with any ecumenical organizations. One overture called for a termination of the PCA mission’s agency’s relationship with the NAE, which the fledgling denomination rejected.
More at the link
Hic sunt dracones
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

For completeness Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) is a smaller and conservative offshoot of the largest Presby denomination, the Presbyterian Church (USA) also spelled PCUSA. PCA broke off in the early 70s because PCUSA was not conservative enough and was paying more attention about feeding my sheep and leftist stuff like that.

Interesting how they are breaking from NAE which is made up of denominations like the Assemblies of God, the various flavors of the Church of God, and the Church of the Nazarine. It was probably predestined.
101010 :towel:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

northland10 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:24 pm Interesting how they are breaking from NAE which is made up of denominations like the Assemblies of God, the various flavors of the Church of God, and the Church of the Nazarine. It was probably predestined.
:lol:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

So many universal churches!
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

I have Burning Spear in the car right now.
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

in a culture increasingly hostile to Christianity
in pseudo-Christian religious cults increasingly hostile to Christianity

Fixed it.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:55 pm

Fixed it.
:stamp:
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:55 pm

Fixed it.
Heh. Every Christian denomination is pseudo-christian. Even the early churches couldn't agree on major issues, it has always been a very 'everyone make up their own stuff' faith... and they are all hostile to each other. Put another way, 'pseudo christian religious cult hostile to christianity' is the very essence of christianity.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Lords seal.jpg
Lords seal.jpg (54.32 KiB) Viewed 966 times
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

SCOTUS will have to reverse this :!: :twisted:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Noting this becasue it's a rare Babylon Bee meme that is not just shitting on Liberals and is actually funny.

Zoom.jpg
Zoom.jpg (83.11 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

St Swithins day.jpg
St Swithins day.jpg (132.65 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Hic sunt dracones
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

:rotflmao:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I like it!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

My favorite saint.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

"My cup overfloweth."

Ol' Wifehorn: "Umm, you spilled coffee on the counter top. You going to clean that up?"

Me : "Wait, you heard me; this is biblical now."

OW: :roll:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:31 am "My cup overfloweth."

Ol' Wifehorn: "Umm, you spilled coffee on the counter top. You going to clean that up?"

Me : "Wait, you heard me; this is biblical now."

OW: :roll:
I read that at first as you saying "OW." :lol:
Edit: Are you sure "You going to clean that up" was a question, not a statement?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
We still have (post-)teenage boys here for another month. I clean a lot of messes.

Today, in preparation for their future, I am giving a master class in the fine art of fixing a bicycle tire and doing basic maintenance. They both have extensive bicycle time upcoming.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

evanjellycull.jpg
evanjellycull.jpg (57.21 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I'ma stealing that! :lol:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Aliens.jpg
Aliens.jpg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 556 times
:?
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Poor Jews, poor diciples, they missed the discovery of chocolate by some 1500 years :lol:

Return to “Religion and Politics”