Religious Threadjacks

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Religious Threadjacks

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

jcolvin2 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:55 pm
Suranis wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:01 pm Naturally, not having to do good works proved rather popular.
That seems a rather cynical take on Luther. While Luther believed salvation could only be obtained through faith, reasoning that one who only makes an outward show - good works - has not found salvation, he was emphatic that true faith would naturally result in "good works" being performed by the believer.

https://salemcc.instructure.com/courses ... ad%20faith.

The man on the street hypocrite, like me, still had to perform good works to show he was among the faithful.
Suranis can correct me, but I recall from my Catholic education and a sermon at a Lutheran Church on Martin Luther Day, Luther and others were troubled by the Catholic Church's practice of simony, selling indulgences, and other church money making practices. [Simony (/ˈsɪməni/) is the act of selling church offices and roles or sacred things. It is named after Simon Magus,[1] who is described in the Acts of the Apostles as having offered two disciples of Jesus payment in exchange for their empowering him to impart the power of the Holy Spirit to anyone on whom he would place his hands. The term extends to other forms of trafficking for money in "spiritual things". https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simony]
[https://explorethefaith.com/the-95-thes ... /#overview
The Ninety-Five Theses protest against clerical abuses, especially nepotism, simony, usury, pluralism, and the sale of indulgences.

It is believed that, according to university custom, on October 31, 1517, Luther posted the Ninety-Five Theses on the door of All Saints’ Church in Wittenberg.]
"Good works" could be purchased. As C2 said above, Luther proposed salvation by faith, not by works, BUT the good works would follow. This particularly applies to selling indulgences. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence.
In addition to the eternal punishment due to mortal sin, every sin, including venial sin, is a turning away from God through what the Catechism of the Catholic Church calls an 'unhealthy attachment to creatures', an attachment that must be purified either here on earth, or after death in the state called purgatory.[12] "The process of sanctification and interior renewal requires not only forgiveness from the guilt (culpa) of sin, but also purification from the harmful effects or wounds of sin."[13] This purification process gives rise to "temporal punishment", because, not involving a total rejection of God, it is not eternal and can be expiated. Catholic teaching states that the temporal punishment of sin should be accepted as a grace, and that the sinner "should strive by works of mercy and charity, as well as by prayer and the various practices of penance, to put off completely the 'old man' and to put on the 'new man."[2]

The temporal punishment that follows sin is thus undergone either during life on earth or in purgatory. In this life, as well as by patient acceptance of sufferings and trials, the necessary cleansing from attachment to creatures may, at least in part, be achieved by turning to God in prayer and penance and by works of mercy and charity.[9] Indulgences (from the Latin verb 'indulgere', meaning "to forgive", "to be lenient toward")[13] are a help towards achieving this purification.
Penance includes praying a certain number and types of prayers as well as specific good works (charity). (Now we know wherefrom writing sentences for punishment, i. e., penance, came.) Believers would pay someone to perform good works or pray to help get a deceased soul out of purgatory. Catholics are taught that your soul is a tally sheet which can be cleared through confession. If you die with venial sins on your soul, you go to purgatory, not heaven. It is a waiting room where your soul undergoes purification until the tally sheet is again cleared and you can go to heaven. I won't go into the emotionally traumatizing mortal sin theology which was shamefully taught to me as a mere child.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Can't the Pope do a spiritual global search and replace changing "We" to "I" for all those affected?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Volkonski post wrote:Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:29 am Can't the Pope do a spiritual global search and replace changing "We" to "I" for all those affected?
Readers of the Anna von Strudel thread will recall how she castigates fellow delusionals for pretending wrong in their "state assemblies".

I guess it's a common property of movements based on contrived mythologies that form is often emphasized over function, process over outcome.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hokay, I decided to let this simmer for a while before I said anything, because I know that everything I say will be yanked out of context and the worst meaning possible will be put on it. But hey, Its 12:33 am in the middle of a storm, so we migh as well have at it
jcolvin2 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:55 pm
Suranis wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:01 pm Naturally, not having to do good works proved rather popular.
That seems a rather cynical take on Luther. While Luther believed salvation could only be obtained through faith, reasoning that one who only makes an outward show - good works - has not found salvation, he was emphatic that true faith would naturally result in "good works" being performed by the believer.

The man on the street hypocrite, like me, still had to perform good works to show he was among the faithful.
AAAAND you pulled that out of context, of course. Id you had included all the conversation, it was clear that when I said that I was talking about the various Protestant Denominations that sprang up from Luther - which were very happy to take Luther's early screeds against the whole concept of Good works enabling salvation, and go "faith alone! Sounds good! Blood of Jesus alone We don't have to do anything else!" Which was pretty popular.
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:47 am Suranis can correct me, but I recall from my Catholic education and a sermon at a Lutheran Church on Martin Luther Day, Luther and others were troubled by the Catholic Church's practice of simony, selling indulgences, and other church money making practices. [Simony (/ˈsɪməni/) is the act of selling church offices and roles or sacred things. It is named after Simon Magus,[1] who is described in the Acts of the Apostles as having offered two disciples of Jesus payment in exchange for their empowering him to impart the power of the Holy Spirit to anyone on whom he would place his hands. The term extends to other forms of trafficking for money in "spiritual things". https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simony]
And here we go with what is probably a cynical take on Luther, but is where my and proably greater Catholic perspectives are.

The whole thing started by Luther getting outraged by the church offering Indulgences for contributing to the Rebuilding and refurbishment of St Peter's Basilica in Rome. Because Luther rejected the whole thing about Good works leading to Salvation, actually offering a an indulgence for such a "good work" was anathema to him. So he started writing letter upon letter screaming about it as "Selling Indulgences." Hence why I quoted His line from Thesis 25 "“He is not righteous who does much, but he who, without, work, believes much in Christ.”" He literally was saying that contributing to that rebuilding did not make you rightous in any way, so therefore the church MUST be selling indulgences! Q E D.

Now, you can possibly argue back and forth about whether contributing to a good work was "Selling Indulgences" but frankly, it was not. The Money was not going to the Church. It was going to the Trademen and builders that were repairing St Peters Basilica. It would be like the church offering indulgences for the rebuilding of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. You could say it was roundabout selling it, but as the quotes above show to the church it was simply rewarding a good work, and the money was going into a fund that was being used for the good work. The Church as an organization was not making a dime.

The Church's actual money came from Tithes etc, which Lutheranism very enthusiastically followed on with, thank you very much.

As for the whole thing about Simony etc, I don't know any examples of it happening, though I'm sure it happened now and again when corrupt Popes were on the throne. But, again that was Luther simply stuck on "How dare you reward good works ye bastards!!" so everything he said was coloured by that outrage over Peter's Basilica and other "good works" stuff the church was doing, and has to be understood in that context. He saw lots of stuff as corruption and selling salvation that simply were not.

Yes Luther tried to walk back good works later on by saying good works flowed from true faith, becasue he was made very uncomfortable by the implications of the "No need to do anything" monster he had turned loose. But that lead to people like John Calvin creating a society where people were judged to be "Pious, uncertain or Corrupt" based on their overt actions. People literally were put on lists where if you weren't seen to be doing X, Y and Z, you were on the bad list.

Rather than obeying Jesus when he said to do good works in secret, it became all about ostentatious appearances and social control. So the Protestant Churches became like the Pharisees that Jesus himself raged about, showing off the big bundles of Cash they were donating and overt displays of piety.

And Luther put the Churches under the control of the Political Leaders of the country, which was a big reason for the Spread of Protestantism. - Money. Suddenly the King had control of church lands, so the king could sell them off to the Lords, and start raking in the cash. That was one reason the push to return to Catholisism failed in England, as the powerful lords who now owned Church lands were not willing to give them up. So they had good motives to put up one hell of a fight against the Counter-Reformation. If Mary had had a Brain and magnanimously allowed the Lords to keep the Church lands, it probably would have succeeded. England was largely Catholic anyway.

*cont*
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:47 am.
The Ninety-Five Theses protest against clerical abuses, especially nepotism, simony, usury, pluralism, and the sale of indulgences.

It is believed that, according to university custom, on October 31, 1517, Luther posted the Ninety-Five Theses on the door of All Saints’ Church in Wittenberg.]
It is believed completely wrong. The first mentions of that event did not appear until 80 years after Luther's death. If he had hammered them all over that door no-one would have cared, and they would have been ripped down by the janitor. Would you have cared if some random monk was hammering pieces of paper which you couldn't read all over the door of a Church?

What actually happened is that Luther started writing letter after letter to the local Archbishop, who got completely pissed off at this uppitty Monk maniac ordering him around. So, rather than round file the letters, he had Luther arrested and publicly put on trial to put manners on this jackass. And in an early example of the Streisand effect, suddenly everyone heard about Martin Luther. And the rest was history.

https://www.history.com/news/martin-lut ... hurch-door

But people demand a big defiant moment, like that painting of Galileo standing defiantly in front of the Inquisition which never happened as The Inquisition trial was actually headed by one of the most foremost Mathematicians of the age, Cardinal Robert Bellarmine, who easily showed that Galileo's maths did not predict the motions of the planets. Plus, It was actually a shouting match between the Dominicans (the ones who accused Galileo) and the Jesuits (who were defending Galileo.) Shocking that the Society of Jesus was written out of the picture, isn't it?

Almost as though people would have been confoosed at the scene of Catholics defending Galileo, and that would have clouded the lovely stoopid anti-science Catlicks story...

The same Society of Jesus were the ones who dragged Galileo in front of the Inquisition the second time, by the way. Galileo had a way of insulting everyone who said he was wrong about something, much like a certain Trump does today. A Jesuit astronomer, Grassi, showed that comets were beyond the orbit of the moon. Galileo, who believed they were clouds, started calling him very bad names, and other incidents like that had the Jesuits drag him in front of the Inquisition again. Land wars in Asia = pissing off the Jesuits.

Speaking of which, it is a triumph of 400 years of Protestant propaganda that the Catholics are seen as being against Copernicus, when in fact the words "This will turn the Science of Astronomy on its head" were uttered by Martin Luther.

And Protestants used believing in Copernicus as a reason to scream that Catholics were against God. In fact Copernicus had presented his theory to the Pope 3 yeas before publication, and the Pope approved the theory. Etc etc no Catholics were not particularly against it, especially not to the same level as Protestants who were 100% against it from day 1. In fact, to this day people have to make awkward excuses to handwave over the fact that the first opposition to the book within the Catholic Church was not seen until 60 years after publication, and that the CC waited till right after the third edition was published till they partially banned the book.. The whole thing was dragged into the Religious wars that were raging at the time.

Anyway, Its 2am, and I'm tired. Feel free to take one sentence or half sentence quotes out of context and claim I said stuff I didn't. As ususal.
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

When my husband's grandmother passed away in 1977, we got a few things from her house. One was a booklet that I just passed on to my niece who is getting married this summer. The booklet: How to Get Married. It was written by a priest in 1912. It's very interesting. Some of the advice is very wise, such as seeing how this fellow you're dating treats his mother and sisters. There's a whole chapter which frowns on mixed marriages. Basically, Catholics should marry Catholics, Methodists should marry Methodists, etc. I think they also preferred if you stuck to your own nationality, i.e., Norwegian-Americans should marry fellow Norwegian-Americans. The book also warns against marrying anyone who has been divorced. They are obviously not good marriage material. But there's one passage which my husband and I always laughed at. They were telling a story of the family at Christmas time and the married daughters were at their parents' house and the example states that the women were playing with their children... "because they were no race suicide people." :shock: I'm not sure what race they were talking about. Human? (By the way, my husband and I knew at that time that we were not going to have children. I guess we were race suicide people.)
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya here in Ireland both "sides" have those forms. I remember talking to a Priest about it, and he said he always advised people to just sign both, and do what they wanted afterwards.

"Race Suicide." First time I heard that one :confuzzled:

Googles...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_suicide
Race suicide was an alarmist term used in eugenics, coined in 1900 by the sociologist Edward A. Ross. Racial suicide rhetoric suggested a differential birthrate between native-born Protestant and immigrant Catholic women, or more generally between the "fit" or "best," (white, wealthy, educated Protestants), and the "unfit" or "undesirable" (poor, uneducated, criminals, diseased, mental and physical "defectives," and ethnic, racial, and religious minorities),[3] such that the "fit" group would ultimately dwindle to the point of extinction. Belief in race suicide is an element of nordicism.[6] In anti-East Asian discourse, the concept is associated with the "Yellow Peril".

In 1902, U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt called race suicide "fundamentally infinitely more important than any other question in this country" and argued that "the man or woman who deliberately avoids marriage, and has a heart so cold as to know no passion and a brain so shallow and selfish as to dislike having children, is in effect a criminal against the race, and should be an object of contemptuous abhorrence by all healthy people."[8] Likewise, in 1905, he argued that a man or woman who is childless by choice "merits contempt".

In Canada, the idea of race suicide was espoused by W.S. Wallace, author of "The Canadian Immigration Policy," which cited the native-born population's "struggle to keep up appearances in the face of the increasing competition" as a purported cause of its low birth rate. Wallace claimed that immigrants did not increase a nation's population, but merely replaced it.
Hic sunt dracones
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Wow. My husband and I would be considered race suicides, too, then. Though, I imagine if they paid attention to us for a bit, they'd realize it really was better for everyone that we didn't have kids. They would have been complete messes.

Suranis the stuff you're writing about Luther etc is different from everything I was taught in my Christian years. If I was mistaught, I'd like to correct my understanding of those events. Can you recommend any good books or websites that could help with that? I'm not asking for the same from TRL because what she's been saying matches what I was taught.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:27 am Wow. My husband and I would be considered race suicides, too, then. Though, I imagine if they paid attention to us for a bit, they'd realize it really was better for everyone that we didn't have kids. They would have been complete messes.

Suranis the stuff you're writing about Luther etc is different from everything I was taught in my Christian years. If I was mistaught, I'd like to correct my understanding of those events. Can you recommend any good books or websites that could help with that? I'm not asking for the same from TRL because what she's been saying matches what I was taught.
IANABS, but a lazy, unscholarly suggestion would be to suggest the Martin Luthor article on Wikipedia as a starting point.

It addresses several of the myths and controversy that Suranis has noted, and contains 279 references to explore for more information.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya. I'll be honest; I couldn't give you a specific book if I tried. Whats in my head is a hodgepodge of stuff I've read here and there over the years, my Catholic education, and my own conclusions. Mike Dunford would be a better one to ask for specific books than me as he is a far better scholar than I am. I'm very much a generalist and like to visualize myself In places in history and see how I would respond to them. Also, I'm a bit of a knowledge sponge but I don't remember where things come from.

Kieth had a good suggestion with the wiki link, but there's also resources like the Catholic encyclopedia if you want the Catholic perspective on things. The standard is pretty high, but like everything else you don't have to accept everything it says.

https://www.catholic.org/encyclopedia/
Hic sunt dracones
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Keith and Suranis- thanks, I'll start with those.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

There is another resource, and it's the rather aptly named website, "History for Atheists" which I have read before and it is really excellent. Whoever runs it really tries to be fair and accurate in what they put up. I haven't read the Martin Luther entry if they have one. I am more interested in the Copernicus story, and it pretty much puts to bed the notion that the Cathilic Church was in any way against Copernicus theory, at least in the beginning

https://historyforatheists.com/2018/07/ ... blication/

It starts off by talking about where the idea came from
Copernicus first circulated his ideas in 1514, but the Catholic Church did not get around to condemning his heliocentric cosmology until the Inquisition’s injunction against Galileo in 1616. If the Church opposed science and condemned any idea that was contrary to the Bible, why the century long delay? And why did they never persecute Copernicus himself? Many new atheists explain this by claiming he kept his ideas secret and only published his book when he was on his deathbed to escape the wrath of the Church. The reality is quite different.

The idea that Copernicus lived in fear of the Catholic Church and kept his heliocentric theory secret as a result has a long pedigree and its most prominent early proponent was the notorious nineteenth century polemicist, Andrew Dickson White. It was White’s 1896 opus A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom that, with John William Draper’s History of the Conflict between Religion and Science (1874), established the Conflict Thesis or Draper-White Thesis, with its lurid narrative of religion perpetually struggling to prevent the advance of science. Despite the fact that twentieth century historians of science dismantled White and Draper’s claims and rejected the Conflict Thesis, it has permeated the popular perception of the history of science, due in no small part to it being peddled by prominent scientists such as Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse Tyson. As a result, this debunked idea is accepted without question by many new atheists, along with its supporting mythology which makes up White and Draper’s books. This includes White’s version of the story of Copernicus and the deathbed publication of his De revolutionibus orbium coelestium in 1543.
He then takes a long time to discuss where Copernicus was coming from, and the flows of the Earth Centric model that people had been using up to this point, which was an awkward melding of Aristotelian philosophy and Ptolomy mathematics. Very interesting but not relevant here.

Then he gets onto dismantling the idea that the Catholic Church Was against the idea:
To begin with Copernicus definitely did not keep his ideas secret at all. He not only discussed them widely with his continent-wide circle of friends and compatriots, but around 1512 he also wrote an eight chapter summary of his theory – the so-called Commentariolus – which then circulated in unpublished form among interested astronomers and mathematicians. He seems to have sent a copy to the Cracow cartographer and historian Bernard Wapowski and it is this copy that probably found its way into the library of Matthew of Miechów, where its appearance in that library’s catalogue in 1514 is the first recorded mention of Copernicus’ theory. Copernicus’ friend and supporter, Bishop Tiedemann Giese of Culm, was almost certainly one of those who circulated the Commentariolus and he seems to have either sent a copy or at least written about the theory to the great Humanist scholar, Erasmus of Rotterdam – though another mathematician in Cracow, Johannes Broscius, later described Erasmus’ reception of the thesis as “temperate”.

Audiences in Rome, on the other hand, were rather more enthusiastic. In 1533 the German scholar and theologian Johann Albrecht Widmanstadt (or Widmannstetter) was serving as a secretary to Pope Clement VII and was invited by the pope to give a lecture on Copernicus’ theory. Widmanstadt gave at least one lecture (or it may have been a series) in the Vatican gardens for the pope and leading members of the Curia and Papal court, including Cardinal Franciotto Orsini, Cardinal Giovanni Salviati, the Bishop of Viterbo Giampietro Grassi and the papal physician Matteo Corte. The pope was fascinated by the theory and rewarded Widmanstadt, who was a famous orientalist and Grecophile, with a precious manuscript of Alexander of Aphrodisias’s De sensu et sensibili, with Widmanstadt proudly inscribing the circumstances in which he received this gift in its front pages.

Widmanstadt continued as papal secretary to Clement’s successor, Pope Paul III, and then to Cardinal Nikolaus von Schönberg after 1535. It was probably from Widmanstadt that von Schönberg learned of Copernicus’ theory, leading him to write to Copernicus to encourage him to publish his book:
“Some years ago word reached me concerning your proficiency, of which everybody constantly spoke. At that time I began to have a very high regard for you, and also to congratulate our contemporaries among whom you enjoyed such great prestige. For I had learned that you had not merely mastered the discoveries of the ancient astronomers uncommonly well but had also formulated a new cosmology. In it you maintain that the earth moves; that the sun occupies the lowest, and thus the central, place in the universe; that the eighth heaven remain perpetually motionless and fixed; and that, together with the elements included in its sphere, the moon, situated between the heavens of Mars and Venus, revolves around the sun in the period of a year. I have also learned that you have written an exposition of this whole system of astronomy, and have computed the planetary motions and set them down in tables, to the greatest admiration of all.

Therefore with the utmost earnestness I entreat you, most learned sir, unless I inconvenience you, to communicate this discovery of yours to scholars, and at the earliest possible moment to send me your writings on the sphere of the universe together with the tables and whatever else you have that is relevant to this subject. Moreover, I have instructed Theodoric of Reden to have everything copied in your quarters at my expense and dispatched to me. If you gratify my desire in this matter, you will see that you are dealing with a man who is zealous for your reputation and eager to do justice to so fine a talent. Farewell.” (Rome, November 1, 1536)
So it could not be more clear that the idea that Copernicus was fearful of religious persecution is pure fantasy. There is no evidence to support White’s claim that he somehow fled Rome in 1503 and he quite obviously did not keep his theory in any way “secret” – it was known to a network of scholars across Europe and, through them and his summary in the Commentariolus, to a wider group of interested intellectuals. The idea that it was fear of churchmen that inspired this mythical “secrecy” is also patent nonsense, given that both Catholic and Protestant scholars were aware of his theory well before 1543 and those who expressed great interest and admiration included several bishops, three cardinals and the Pope himself.
Reading about this today i came across 2 popular theories as to why the Catholic church took 60 odd years to get around to partially banning the book, both kind of hilarious when you think about it.

The first was that the Pope really wanted to ban the book straight away, but was really sick and dying, and herefore couldn't. This idea is So pathetic its not funny. He could have just said to a Cleric. "draw up a banning statement including the points X Y an Z and I'll sign it" and it would have been done. And as "History for Atheists" shows the Pope was actually fascinated by the idea

The second was that the Church was distracted by the Council of Trent so didn't heave the headspace to do it. The Council of Trent was a huge event in the Catholic Churches history and involved the Church reforming itself in response to the criticisms of the Reformation, and setting into motion the Counter-Reformation. But it only lasted 18 years in 3 phases. And, guess what, the Catholic Church actually has more than one person involved in it, so it has plenty of bodies. In short the Church can Multitask. There would have been plenty of time to have some Cleric write the order if the Church was against it from day one.

So, why did the Church turn against it? Frankly, they really didn't as such. Copernisism just got sucked up into the Religious wars. The Protestants were dead set against Copernicism, and it was used as a rallying cry to whip up mobs to smash up churches and kill Catholics, so the Church felt it had to put in the appearance at least of not being on the side of Heliocentrism. And even so, the banning of the book was not total, the mathematics in it could still be used. Which, frankly was a "you can smoke weed as long as you don't inhale" situation.

And the only person who was ever burned for Heliocentrism by the Catholic Church had far more charges on him than that, including denying the divinity of Christ, and believing that every star in the sky had its own God the Father and its own Jesus. Any of the charges would have resulted in crispy fried heretic.

Anyway So much typing, so little time.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Oh if anyone wants to read about the Council of Trent, this page is pretty good.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Council-of-Trent
Hic sunt dracones
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Thanks for the History for Atheists link.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:44 am
Volkonski post wrote:Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:29 am Can't the Pope do a spiritual global search and replace changing "We" to "I" for all those affected?
Readers of the Anna von Strudel thread will recall how she castigates fellow delusionals for pretending wrong in their "state assemblies".

I guess it's a common property of movements based on contrived mythologies that form is often emphasized over function, process over outcome.
There is the issue that not all denominations would agree with process over outcome. In many traditions, the actual act of baptism is completed by God, and we silly humans, whether clergy or lay, cannot undo that with incorrect words. We are unable to control God's action, even though the sacrament. To think we could gives us power over God, a big no-no, and also, can be considered dabbling in magic as our formula can somehow create the action.

Now, the formula use is important though I don't have the time to wander through the theological and liturgical reasons, however, it does not impact the final result. Much like if a couple were to find the priest who conducted their wedding (blessed the marriage) was not actually a priest though the church at the time thought he/she was, that would not suddenly invalidate the marriage in the eyes of the church (unless the couple knew about it at the time but that is the being untruthful which is a different issue).

The proper response is for the hierarchy of the church to tell the priest to stop, and if they continue, then they are removed from ministry.

Now in Michigan, a priest finds out his baptism was incorrect (and he may not have even been of age to realize it at the time). What does this mean? Is every sacrament he ever presided over is now nothing? That is a huge collection of invalidness that would grow exponentially. Now, when he was confirmed, did that mean it really was not a confirmation and was he never actually called to the priesthood or properly ordained because of something he never knew about and God forgot to mention it?

Good thing for any folks who were Roman Catholic baptized with the wrong formula and later swam the Thames to the Episcopal Church. Your baptism is still valid in our eyes. If you are still a little unsure personally, I suppose we could use the "conditional baptism" (yes, such a thing exists for those who are not sure if they were baptized).
101010 :towel:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The diocese of Phoenix has created a web page with a frequently asked questions section

www.dphx.org/valid-baptism

Also a bit of extra information in the Catholic news story about this...

https://www.catholicnews.com/phoenix-pa ... -baptisms/
The use of the improper form led Father Arango to resign as pastor of St. Gregory Parish in Phoenix. Bishop Olmsted said Father Arango remains a priest in good standing in the diocese and that he would be helping the diocese identify and contact people whose baptisms are invalid.
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer

Thanks, Suranis, for your insight into the Church and Copernicus and Martin Luther. :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Thank you Suranis for the information on Copernicus and the link to History for Athiests.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I figured you guys would flock to it. :mrgreen:
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Pearls_Heaven.jpg
Pearls_Heaven.jpg (73.61 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

:like:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer

Facebook post from Hubby:

The Atheist Experience is a Facebook group I stumbled across and have enjoyed the experience. Lots of religious folks comment trying to prove God's existence and lots of atheists offer countering views.

This one comment has a great analogy I plan to use in the future:

Andee Greer
Well, guys, I don't think I'll stick around anymore. Every damned post is someone trying to push a theory of god and why everything but their theory is wrong. I'm tired.
Just remember, religious folks: Religion is like a penis - Great to have, awesome that you're proud of it; but don't wave it around in public, and don't try to shove it down anyone's throat without explicit permission!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I could go on for hours, but I will keep it short. Those who feel the need to "prove" God's existence are clearly missing the entire point. They just don't get it.
101010 :towel:

Return to “Religion and Politics”