Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Religious Threadjacks

Sam the Centipede

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I'm sure we all hope you'll thrash your tired organ to a happy finish on Christmas Day, NL! :biggrin:

God jul!
Suranis

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Suranis »

From "The Lady Organist" -

https://www.theladyorganist.com/youre-n ... ist-until/
Becoming an organist is not just about getting some swanky letters to put after your name, you know. Certain important life skills are also required, if you’re going to hack it like a pro. See how you measure up with this check list.

YOU’RE NOT A PROPER ORGANIST UNTIL:

Your organ shoes look like they’ve been in a tussle with an enthusiastic puppy and lost

You have a few improv tricks, which although they wouldn’t get you a job at Saint-Sulpice, get you through service moments

You have learned to ask Crimond or Brother James’s Air? Love Divine or Blaenwern? as soon as you arrive at a new church

You can survive for 24 hours on the broken biscuits lurking in the bottom of your music bag

You can choke up at a funeral but still carry on playing

You can book the departing sopranos for next week while simultaneously smashing through a Bach prelude and fugue at the end of a service

You always visit the bathroom before leaving the house, as you know where you are going may not have any facilities, or they’re behind 3 sets of locked doors to which you have no access

You have perfected a withering stare for people who insist on having a chatter during your precious practice hour

Your home is full of cardboard boxes of old organ music wished onto you by dead organists’ friends and relatives

You always carry a miscellaneous selection of harmless music for when they suddenly announce “The organist will now play something.…”

Your satnav Favourites is full of destinations starting with the word “Saint…”

Your non-organist friends are slightly alarmed at the sight of your growing collection of hymnbooks
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

SAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Foggy »

Your satnav Favourites
:?:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Suranis

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Suranis »

Foggy wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:29 pm
Your satnav Favourites
:?:
Satilite Navigation. What they used to call google drive. Thingie in car wot tells you how go place.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Foggy »

Ah, OK, so you're not a real organist unless more than half the places you go are churches. I get it now.

That's a pretty good list, but I bet N10 could add to it. :dance: :lol:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Religious Threadjacks

Post by poplove »

157DFD6A-F998-4903-8B32-7C7EF9AD7EF9.jpeg
157DFD6A-F998-4903-8B32-7C7EF9AD7EF9.jpeg (174.11 KiB) Viewed 806 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Religious Threadjacks

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Religious Threadjacks

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:11 pm Ah, OK, so you're not a real organist unless more than half the places you go are churches. I get it now.

That's a pretty good list, but I bet N10 could add to it. :dance: :lol:
The list is pretty thorough, but she was probably nice enough to leave things like potential violence against wedding photographers, or the annoyances that can be the altar guild.

Oh yeah, and to the sexton/cleaners, please do not wax the organ console platform. It is quite an experience to step onto it with organ shoes.

Yes, I have been given extra music from others collections, and my hymnal collection grows often.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Religious Threadjacks

Post by RTH10260 »

Blinged-Up Brooklyn Bishop Who Was Robbed Mid-Sermon Is Now Behind Bars

Pilar Melendez
Mon, December 19, 2022 at 8:14 PM GMT+1

A flashy New York bishop, who was famously robbed earlier this year in the middle of a church service, is now facing federal charges over an ungodly scheme that allegedly included swindling one of his parishioners and extorting a local businessman for his own enrichment, prosecutors revealed on Monday.

Lamor Whitehead, 45, was arrested and charged Monday with several crimes, including wire fraud, extortion, and making false statements, the U.S. Attorney’s Office Southern District of New York announced. If convicted, he faces upwards of 65 years in prison.

“His campaign of fraud and deceit stops now,” U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said in a Monday statement.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blinged-broo ... 11802.html
(original DailyBeast)
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Religious Threadjacks

Post by mojosapien »

https://www.dw.com/en/hanukkah-christma ... a-18899878

Via Deutche Welle. Calendar Geeks...when is the next time that Ramadan, Advent(Lent) and Passover(Hanukkah) coincide?
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
RTH10260

Religious Threadjacks

Post by RTH10260 »

The long history of how Jesus came to resemble a white European

Anna Swartwood House, Assistant Professor of Art History, University of South Carolina
Fri, December 23, 2022 at 4:26 PM GMT+1

The portrayal of Jesus as a white, European man has come under renewed scrutiny during this period of introspection over the legacy of racism in society.

As protesters called for the removal of Confederate statues in the U.S., activist Shaun King went further, suggesting that murals and artwork depicting “white Jesus” should “come down.”

His concerns about the depiction of Christ and how it is used to uphold notions of white supremacy are not isolated. Prominent scholars and the archbishop of Canterbury have called to reconsider Jesus’ portrayal as a white man.

As a European Renaissance art historian, I study the evolving image of Jesus Christ from A.D. 1350 to 1600. Some of the best-known depictions of Christ, from Leonardo da Vinci’s “Last Supper” to Michelangelo’s “Last Judgment” in the Sistine Chapel, were produced during this period.

But the all-time most-reproduced image of Jesus comes from another period. It is Warner Sallman’s light-eyed, light-haired “Head of Christ” from 1940. Sallman, a former commercial artist who created art for advertising campaigns, successfully marketed this picture worldwide.

Through Sallman’s partnerships with two Christian publishing companies, one Protestant and one Catholic, the Head of Christ came to be included on everything from prayer cards to stained glass, faux oil paintings, calendars, hymnals and night lights.

Sallman’s painting culminates a long tradition of white Europeans creating and disseminating pictures of Christ made in their own image.

In search of the holy face

The historical Jesus likely had the brown eyes and skin of other first-century Jews from Galilee, a region in biblical Israel. But no one knows exactly what Jesus looked like. There are no known images of Jesus from his lifetime, and while the Old Testament Kings Saul and David are explicitly called tall and handsome in the Bible, there is little indication of Jesus’ appearance in the Old or New Testaments.

Even these texts are contradictory: The Old Testament prophet Isaiah reads that the coming savior “had no beauty or majesty,” while the Book of Psalms claims he was “fairer than the children of men,” the word “fair” referring to physical beauty.

The earliest images of Jesus Christ emerged in the first through third centuries A.D., amidst concerns about idolatry. They were less about capturing the actual appearance of Christ than about clarifying his role as a ruler or as a savior.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/long-history ... 23976.html
(original: The Conversation)
Suranis

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Suranis »

In the meantime, Chinese Jesus says hi.

Korean Jesus is going to fuck you up

musuclar-jesus.jpg
musuclar-jesus.jpg (89.55 KiB) Viewed 693 times
And as for Poor Buddha, he was an Indian Prince from India, yet art and statues have him as Oriental. And Black.

Black buddah.jpg
Black buddah.jpg (145.37 KiB) Viewed 693 times
Hic sunt dracones
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Religious Threadjacks

Post by northland10 »

Screenshot 2022-12-27 134604.jpg
Screenshot 2022-12-27 134604.jpg (55.52 KiB) Viewed 654 times
101010 :towel:
Suranis

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Suranis »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Religious Threadjacks

Post by RTH10260 »

Minnesota professor reportedly fired after Muslim students complain about images of Muhammad shown in class

Jon Brown
Thu, December 29, 2022 at 9:59 PM GMT+1

A Minnesota liberal arts professor was reportedly fired after Muslim students complained that the instructor showed historic depictions of Muhammad during a class about Islamic art.

The unidentified professor at Hamline University in St. Paul stoked outrage in October from members of the school's Muslim Student Association for showing paintings of Muhammad made in the 1300s and 1500s, according to the Hamline Oracle.

Many Muslims consider depictions of their prophet to be blasphemous.

Aram Wedatalla, president of the Muslim Student Association, told university administrators about the incident the day after it happened, according to the campus outlet.

"I’m like, 'This can't be real,'" Wedatalla told the Oracle. "As a Muslim, and a Black person, I don’t feel like I belong, and I don’t think I’ll ever belong in a community where they don’t value me as a member, and they don’t show the same respect that I show them."

David Everett, Hamline's associate vice president of inclusive excellence, emailed students on Nov. 7 and described the incident as "undeniably inconsiderate, disrespectful and Islamophobic." He also said the professor in question had been fired.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/minnesota-pr ... 22890.html
(original: Fox News)
RTH10260

Religious Threadjacks

Post by RTH10260 »

re Archdiocese of Santa Fe, N.M.,
US bankruptcy court approves $121M clergy abuse settlement

Thu, December 29, 2022 at 9:27 PM GMT+1

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A federal bankruptcy judge on Thursday approved a $121 million reorganization plan for one of the oldest Roman Catholic dioceses in the U.S. as it tries to stem financial losses from clergy abuse claims that date back decades.

The Archdiocese of Santa Fe in New Mexico said U.S. Bankruptcy Judge David T. Thuma confirmed the agreement during a hearing in which he commended the parties for working through what had been an arduous process.

In a statement, Archbishop John C. Wester thanked the panel of abuse survivors who represented fellow survivors in their claims against the archdiocese. He described it as challenging work as the group continued to deal with the aftermath of their own abuse.

“While I hope and pray that the bankruptcy outcome will bring a measure of justice and relief to the victims of clergy sexual abuse, I realize that nothing can ever compensate them for the criminal and horrendous abuse they endured,” Wester said.

He also pledged that the archdiocese will remain vigilant in upholding its zero tolerance policy by promptly responding to allegations and cooperating with local authorities.

The global priest abuse scandal has plunged dioceses around the world into bankruptcy and has cost the Roman Catholic Church an estimated $3 billion or more.

Aside from providing monetary payments to nearly 400 claimants, the terms of the settlement in New Mexico require the establishment of a public archive of documents showing how decades of abuse occurred around the state.

The result of nearly four years of legal wrangling, the reorganization plan effectively halted more than three dozens civil lawsuits in state court that alleged abuse of children by clergy and negligence by church hierarchy. Court records show the accusations dated from the 1940s to the 2010s.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-bankruptc ... 45817.html
AndyinPA
Verified:

Religious Threadjacks

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... pe-francis
Airlines usually upgrade cardinals to first class and offer them champagne. But when the leaders of the Roman Catholic church fly into Rome’s Fiumicino airport this week for the funeral of the former pope Benedict XVI, they may well forgo the fizz as a sign of their mourning. It’s hard to imagine, though, that they will refrain from engaging in the whispers and the politicking that is so typical of a gathering of top Catholic prelates. The funeral will be a time to remember and mourn Benedict – but the plotting that will take place may resemble an episode of Succession.

Benedict was a renowned theologian and an enforcer of Catholic doctrine who earned the nickname “God’s rottweiler” for his pursuit of those he thought errant. He was a hero to conservative Catholics, but he will be most remembered for his dramatic resignation in 2013 – the first pope in 600 years to quit rather than die in office. He pleaded physical frailty. “Having before God examined my conscience over and over, I have come to the certain knowledge that my strength, due to the burdens of age, is no longer suitable for properly administering the Petrine office,” he wrote, but he lasted almost another 10 years before dying at the age of 95 on New Year’s Eve.

When a pope dies in office, cardinals come from across the globe to bury him and elect his successor. This time, of course, there is no need to do so. There is already a pope – Francis, the man picked in 2013 to succeed him. But when he leads Benedict’s funeral on 5 January, the cardinals may well wonder if they will be back in Rome soon for another conclave. At 86, Francis himself is already physically frail. He lost part of a lung when young, had bowel surgery in 2021 and since May has used a wheelchair in public. He recently quipped that a wheelchair was not an issue for a pope – “One governs with the head, not the knee” – but also revealed that he had a signed resignation letter, deposited with the Vatican’s secretary of state, that could be accepted if he became incapacitated.

There are some in the Roman Catholic church who would dearly love another pope to be elected very soon. While Francis and Benedict might not have been quite the buddies they appeared to become in the humorous Netflix account of their relationship, 2019’s The Two Popes, they did manage a cordial engagement. But that cordiality is not shared by everyone.

Certain followers of Benedict who asserted that all Catholics should be utterly loyal to a pope when he sat on the throne of Peter have shown no such fidelity to Francis, and have constantly criticised his efforts at reform. They particularly objected to his reversal of Benedict’s relaxation on the use of the old Latin rite mass, which had effectively been banned from the 1960s, and were horrified by Francis’s acceptance of indigenous culture blending into Catholic ritual. Matters reached a head in 2019 when Francis called a synod in Rome on the Amazon region, and agreed statues of the Pachamama, a figure described as both a native fertility image and Our Lady of the Amazon, could be displayed during mass. Two arch-conservative men took the statues and threw them in the Tiber river, saying “they do not belong in a Catholic church”.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Suranis »

I hadn't heard about that theft. After a quick look, I think the statues are rather beautiful, to be honest.

goddess.jpg
goddess.jpg (195.8 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Pope Francis's apology over Amazon statues theft

Published

25 October 2019

A wooden carved sculpture of a pregnant woman and a pirogue"s modelImage source, AFP/Getty Images

Pope Francis has apologised after indigenous Amazonian statues were stolen from a church in Rome and dumped into the Tiber River.

"As a bishop of the diocese, I ask forgiveness from the persons who were offended by this," he said.

The five wooden statues of a naked, pregnant woman were taken from the church on Monday.

Unidentified perpetrators - believed to be conservative Catholic militants - described the statues as "idols".

They later posted a video of showing how the so-called Pachamama statues were stolen and then thrown in the river.

Pachamama is a goddess revered by indigenous communities in the Amazon.

What did the Pope say?

The Pope's apology came on Friday, the penultimate day of a three-week assembly at the Vatican.

The gathering, known as the synod, is discussing the future of the Church in the Amazon - a vast region in South America.

The pontiff said the statues had been recovered by Italian police and appeared to be not damaged.

Francis also stressed that there "was no idolatrous intention" in bringing the statues to the church in Rome.

The Vatican earlier condemned the theft, with senior officials saying the statues simply represented life, fertility and mother earth.
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

They are cool!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Religious Threadjacks

Post by AndyinPA »

I bought a Pachamanca statue when I was in Bolivia.
RTH10260

Religious Threadjacks

Post by RTH10260 »

Amid sexual assault allegations among students, Mount St. Mary vice principal, counselor resign

Josh Dulaney, Oklahoman
Mon, January 9, 2023 at 9:22 PM GMT+1

A top administrator and a counselor at Mount St. Mary Catholic High School have resigned after an independent investigation into allegations of sexual assault among students, The Oklahoman has learned.

Vice Principal Whitney Faires and school counselor Mallory Tecmire have each resigned.

In a letter to parents and students obtained by The Oklahoman, interim Principal Diane Floyd said she accepted the resignations March 1.

“We expect all school administrators, faculty and staff at The Mount to follow the Safe Environment protocol and school policy to appropriately report suspected abuse or harassment of minors,” Floyd wrote in her letter. “Now that the review is concluded, we are moving forward with our focus on the Voices of Human Dignity Task Force to ensure our words, actions and policies reflect our mission and Catholic social teachings.”

Dig deeper: Current, former Mount St. Mary students describe culture of sexual abuse that went ignored

The resignations followed a months-long independent investigation by Mount St. Mary, after several former and current female students said they had been sexually assaulted and sexually harassed by boys at the school.

The investigation opened in October after several alleged victims submitted letters to the Board of Trustees.

On Dec. 29, former Principal Talita DeNegri resigned after 19 years in the position.

After her resignation, the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City issued a public statement saying DeNegri “resigned after an independent investigation revealed The Mount administrative leadership failed to take action in response to reported allegations of sexual harassment and assault by students against other students.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/amid-sexual- ... 19698.html
(original The Oklahoman)
Suranis

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Suranis »

I looked up the Catholic Ensyclopedia about rites for a dead pope and this is a JPG of the Rituals and procedures involved. I thought people might find this interesting.

I looked it up because the guy I was arguing with said he had looked up the 1906 Edition of the Catholic Encyclopedia and it mentioned the hammer so it was "very Possible" they were still using it. Ya, I'm sure there are 1906 editions of that lying around everywhere, like the Blacks Law Dictionary 6th edition.

Large image so tossing a spoiler tag. Original page is "Rites for the Pope" https://www.catholic.org/pope/rites.php
► Show Spoiler
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Suranis »

pureflix.jpg
pureflix.jpg (24.39 KiB) Viewed 364 times

It really is.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Religious Threadjacks

Post by RTH10260 »

Wikipedia wrote:On-demand service

It specializes in Christian streaming media and video-on-demand online. Pure Flix was acquired by Sony Pictures in 2020.

Return to “Religion and Politics”