Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Religious Threadjacks

Suranis

Re: Religious Threadjacks

Post by Suranis »

Hokay, lets find another article about this in a vain attempt to actually, you know, talk about this. I know, I feel like Sisyphus. *quick search*

This talks about how the report was commissioned. This article makes the SBC President look pretty good, IMHO.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/southern-bapt ... d=84933822
Southern Baptist president says sexual abuse rumors were 'always out there'

May 24, 2022, 10:38 PM

The president of the Southern Baptist Convention, Ed Litton, said the damning independent investigative report on sex abuse allegations is "long overdue."

"The rumors were always out there that these things were happening," Litton said on ABC News Live on Tuesday. "There were several attempts made at our convention meetings to bring this to light. But they were very successfully pushed down."

The report, conducted by Guidepost Solutions, an independent firm contracted by the Southern Baptist Convention's Executive Committee, found the denomination's top leaders ignored sexual abuse allegations and disparaged survivors for more than two decades.

In a 288-page report, investigators found that survivors and concerned Southern Baptists continuously shared allegations with the executive committee “only to be met, time and time again, with resistance, stonewalling, and even outright hostility from some within the EC."

Sexual abuse in Southern Baptist churches was spotlighted in 2019 by the Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express-News (https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/i ... 194777.php) in a report that documented hundreds of cases. Several of the accused perpetrators remained in ministry.

Following the report, thousands of delegates voted overwhelmingly to create a task force charged with overseeing the third-party review.

Litton, pastor of Redemption Church in Saraland, Alabama, appointed the panel.

"We had to go through an arduous process of removing all legal barriers so that that investigation would be thorough and complete," Litton told ABC News. "I believe what we have is a revealing -- a very rare revealing -- from the grassroots Southern Baptists to say what's really going on here."

The report found that SBC leaders were concerned about church liability and its reputation and ignored concerns "even if it meant that convicted molesters continued in ministry with no notice or warning to their current church or congregation."

Now, Litton and church leaders must figure out how to implement the recommendations from Guidepost
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Lets get something light hearted going...

LURVE.jpg
LURVE.jpg (91.59 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

convert.jpg
convert.jpg (130.87 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

paul.jpg
paul.jpg (56.52 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
In the meantime, Korean Jesus just got Angry. You don't like him when he is angry...

musuclar-jesus.jpg
musuclar-jesus.jpg (89.55 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I had to chuckle at your graphic showing that Lutherans do not like Catholics.

When I was growing up, my parents had two rules for us children: 1) we could not date until we were 16, and 2) we could not date a Catholic. Actually, I could understand the not dating a Catholic prohibition - they were afraid that marrying a Catholic would cause too much conflict in a marriage and that a marriage has a better chance of being successful if you share the same religious beliefs.

So... good Lutheran girl that I was, I went to a Lutheran college. And met a nice Catholic boy there. :o And married him. :lol: My sweetie was a good Christian who had no problem attending a Lutheran church with me. My parents adored him and our marriage lasted more than 40 years until he passed away four years ago.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I remember the days when Protestants marrying Catholics (or vice versa) wasn't a good idea, for exactly that reason, the problems it created in the family. And in my family, a Protestant aunt who married a Catholic, had a bad marriage, at least partially due to the religious difference problem. My aunt's agreement was that their kids would be raised Protestant. My uncle and his sister sneaked their first child off to catechism, or whatever, and had him confirmed Catholic. It was presented to my aunt as done, and my cousin stayed a Catholic until about a year before he died, when he had become totally fed up with the Catholic Church. My aunt never gave my uncle a chance to sneak her daughter, my age, off to the Catholic Church.

I don't know how much this kind of thing still goes on today.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I think the relationships shown between the Presbeterians, the Methodists, and the Baptists is spot on.

My Grandmother and Mother were originally Presbyterian in Michigan. When we moved to Arizona there weren't any Presbyterian churches nearby, so my Grandmother 'relented' and went to a Methodist church that she grew to like more than tolerate. My best friend in school tried to get me into the Baptist church, and I went to their youth groups for a while, but mainly to play on their rec league volleyball teams. In the end, I just couldn't stand their pushiness, and they wouldn't let me play on the VB team because I wouldn't join their church.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Romance really is dead.

Compliments.jpg
Compliments.jpg (141.11 KiB) Viewed 919 times
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

ecumenical matter.jpg
ecumenical matter.jpg (52.3 KiB) Viewed 883 times

I'm liking this new Catechism.
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

If this is at all representative, it's disturbing that white evangelicals are almost as numerous as white mainstream Protestants. Maybe that's always been true.

https://ava.prri.org/#religious/2020/Me ... m/national
Edit: I see you can go back to 2013. Evangelicals were actually higher then.

https://ava.prri.org/#religious/2013/Me ... m/national
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:37 am If this is at all representative, it's disturbing that white evangelicals are almost as numerous as white mainstream Protestants. Maybe that's always been true.

According to Wikipedia, Evangelicalism has been by far the most dominant Protestant tradition for almost all of your countries history. The surprise is that not that it is so high among American Protestants, but that it is now a Minority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelic ... ted_States
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:49 am
pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:37 am If this is at all representative, it's disturbing that white evangelicals are almost as numerous as white mainstream Protestants. Maybe that's always been true.

According to Wikipedia, Evangelicalism has been by far the most dominant Protestant tradition for almost all of your countries history. The surprise is that not that it is so high among American Protestants, but that it is now a Minority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelic ... ted_States
i looked up my home state. The biggest two groups are White Catholic and Hispanic Catholic (the latter tied with White Protestant). Evangelicals are not that many. I grew up in a fundamentalist church that was very mainstream by today's standards, but the current pastor has a dozen plus kids and is probably a Quiverfull or whatever they call themselves. A lot of my classmates were Catholic, and the rest were things like Episcopalian, Lutheran, Methodist, etc. Interestingly I would have said most were not especially religious but they are getting more so in later life.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

mary mag.jpg
mary mag.jpg (132.85 KiB) Viewed 802 times
From the facebook page I got this from
Mary Magdalen at the time of her Assumption carved c1490-92 by Tilman Riemenschneider. Depicting her as a desert hermit, clad only in her own hair. May have arisen artistically by a mash-up of her story and the story of Mary of Egypt, also a hermit. Found several engravings and paintings of the period where the hair-covered body identified the subject as a hermit. Notice that Mary's knees are not covered in hair, I presume from her time spent on her knees praying?
Several people identified this beautiful carving with the flying spaghetti monster. Bet you never thought it had bewbs.

Dan Brown never mentioned the Magdalene's body hair. :dance:
Hic sunt dracones
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

A Beau of the Fifth Column video led me to this article about a poll from mid-May.

“AP-NORC poll details rift between lay Catholics and bishops”:
https://apnews.com/article/abortion-us- ... 85de7df95a

“For example, leaders of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops recently called on Catholics nationwide to pray for the U.S. Supreme Court to end the constitutional right to abortion by reversing its 1973 Roe v. Wade decision. According to the new poll, 63% of Catholic adults say abortion should be legal in all or most cases, and 68% say Roe should be left as is.”

“The Rev. Frank Pavone, national director of Priests for Life, said the poll results didn’t surprise him, and underscored a need for anti-abortion clergy and activists to redouble efforts to change people’s positions.
“For us working on pro-life issues, these kinds of polls are like a summons,” he said. “You’ve got to be doing your work -- maybe you’ve got to do it better.””
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Uninformed wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:24 am “The Rev. Frank Pavone, national director of Priests for Life, said the poll results didn’t surprise him, and underscored a need for anti-abortion clergy and activists to redouble efforts to change people’s positions.
“For us working on pro-life issues, these kinds of polls are like a summons,” he said. “You’ve got to be doing your work -- maybe you’ve got to do it better.””
In other words, if what you're doing isn't working, do more of it.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:47 am In other words, if what you're doing isn't working, do more of it.
I didn't know they were Democrats. :think: :whistle: :batting:
Hic sunt dracones
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Suranis wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:52 am From the facebook page I got this from
Wow! That's beautiful Suranis :thumbsup:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

MsDaisy wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:17 pm Wow! That's beautiful Suranis :thumbsup:
It really is.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I was watching a Program Called John Credons Atlas, which has this guy wandering around Ireland talking to local historians and people. And it came out that there was a translation of the Bible into Gaelic in the 1600s. The New Testament was translated by William O’Donnel in 1602, and the entire Old Testament was translated by the Catholic Bishop William Bedel in 1648.

I have to admit I had no idea. I have zero interest in Gaelic but its a great piece of history that it happened.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess the good people of Ireland would have objected to a Kings English version ;) even when it was the only English that Jesus ever spoke
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Sounds fantastic. :thumbsup:
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Bishop punishes school for refusing to remove Black Lives Matter, Pride flags

By Daniel Miller
Published June 17, 2022 3:22PMUpdated June 19, 2022 8:33AMReligionFOX TV Digital Team

WORCESTER, Massachusetts - A bishop says that a Massachusetts middle school cannot identify itself anymore as a Catholic school after refusing to take down "Black Lives Matter" and Gay Pride flags hanging outside the school.

Bishop Robert J. McManus issued a decree on June 16 punishing the Nativity School in Worcester, Massachusetts for flying the flags at the institution, according to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Worcester website.

In his decree, McManus referenced an open letter he wrote on May 4 where he said the flags embody what he described as "specific agendas or ideologies that contradict Catholic social and moral teaching." He added that the "Gay Pride flag represents support for gay marriage and actively living an LGBTQ+ lifestyle."

The Nativity School in Worchester serves 5th through 8th-grade boys from communities in need.

The decree prohibits the school from identifying itself as a "Catholic" school and may no longer use the title "Catholic" to describe itself, and the institution cannot participate in fundraising activities within the Diocese of Worcester.

Nativity School President Thomas McKenney wrote a letter to the community on the school’s website on June 15 addressing the matter. McKenney says the institution began flying the flags outside the school in January based on the students (the majority of the students are people of color) wanting to make the community more inclusive.

McKenney wrote that McManus told the school in March to remove the flags. During that same month, the flags were torn down by an unknown person. The president added that the bishop informed the school in May if the flags weren’t removed, the institution would "be prohibited from identifying itself as a Catholic school."

The president in the letter says the Nativity School will appeal the decision of the Diocese to remove their Catholic identity.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/bishop ... ride-flags

Return to “Religion and Politics”