Religious Threadjacks

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Religious Threadjacks

Post by northland10 »

Flatpoint High wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:18 pm Mine's in Hebrew
To slide into my liturgical mention from before, during one of my seminary classes we had a cantor (hazzan?) from a synagogue give a presentation on what he does. I am not going to try to use any terms he mentioned because I would totally get them wrong. After that presentation, we was "Wow." That is a complex role and impressive.
101010 :towel:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

northland10 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:00 am
Flatpoint High wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:18 pm Mine's in Hebrew
To slide into my liturgical mention from before, during one of my seminary classes we had a cantor (hazzan?) from a synagogue give a presentation on what he does. I am not going to try to use any terms he mentioned because I would totally get them wrong. After that presentation, we was "Wow." That is a complex role and impressive.
being a hazzan certainly is.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Over 200,000 Minors Abused by Clergy in France Since 1950, Report Estimates
An independent commission set up at the request of the Roman Catholic Church in France found that abuse was far more pervasive than previously thought.

By Aurelien Breeden
Oct. 5, 2021

PARIS — Clergy members in the Roman Catholic Church in France sexually abused more than 200,000 minors over the past seven decades, according to an estimate published on Tuesday by an independent commission that concluded the problem was far more pervasive than previously known.

The long-awaited 2,500-page report by the Independent Commission on Sexual Abuse in the Church laid out in detail how the church hierarchy had repeatedly silenced the victims and failed to report or discipline the clergy members involved.

“The church failed to see or hear, failed to pick up on the weak signals, failed to take the rigorous measures that were necessary,” Jean-Marc Sauvé, the commission president, said at a news conference in Paris on Tuesday. For years, the church showed a “deep, total and even cruel indifference toward victims,” he added.

There has been a growing reckoning with sexual abuse in the church in France after a series of high-profile scandals. The investigative commission was set up in 2018 at the request of the Catholic Church in France in response to criticism of its handling of abuse cases.

Meticulously compiled over the past three years by independent experts, the findings were the most extensive account to date of the scope of sexual abuse by clergy in the country, especially of children and other vulnerable people.

This followed efforts in recent years to disclose or document similar allegations against Roman Catholic clergy members in Australia, Germany, Ireland, Poland, the United States and other countries as the church continues to grapple with the devastation wrought by decades of sexual abuse scandals. The French church has seen congregations shrink and its influence wane in recent decades.

Pope Francis met with French bishops in recent days and took note of the report, said Matteo Bruni, a Vatican spokesman, in a statement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/05/worl ... abuse.html
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

:o :cantlook: a cúig, a ceathair, a trí, a dó, a haon,…
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

*stares at the Gaelic trying to figure it out... Wonders why 4 is second in the line then slowly figures it out, and grins.*

Ecclesiastes 3:7

A time to tear apart and a time to sew together;
A time to be silent and a time to speak.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Wow, that really needs to be updated.

A time to twerk, a time to kite checks, a time to vape, a time TO GO TO DISNEYLAND!

🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

U.S. missionaries have long tried to convert the ‘unreached’ in the Amazon. Now Indigenous groups are fighting back.
Eliseio Marubo, the first lawyer to have come out of the Javari Valley, is leading the quest to expel U.S. missionaries from his people's lands.

By Terrence McCoy
Yesterday at 5:00 a.m. EDT

ATALAIA DO NORTE, Brazil — Eliseio Marubo watched as the tribal leaders assembled before him. First came the Matsis of the White River. Then the distant Kanamari. Then both factions of the Marubo people. All had come, at his request, to put aside their differences and discuss what he called a common adversary.

Their forest was beset by outsiders — illegal gold miners, land grabbers, deforesters. But the time had come to confront the one who predated them all.

“Missionaries,” Marubo said.

The meeting hall was at the gateway of one of the largest Indigenous territories in Brazil, called the Javari Valley, a swath of forest larger than the state of South Carolina. With its estimated population of 6,300 Indigenous people, it’s considered the world’s largest repository of uncontacted peoples. On a planet with vanishingly few places beyond the reach of modern civilization, the valley’s enduring isolation has made it one of the most alluring places for evangelists trying to reach the last people to have never heard the name Jesus Christ.

Missionaries call such people the “unreached.” Few groups, if any, have been as committed to contacting them as American evangelists. They have produced elaborate maps to identify where they live. They have flown planes, purchased helicopters and piloted boats to reach them. Some have died, or been killed. Millions of dollars have been pumped into the work.

But the biblical commission that followers of Jesus “make disciples of all nations” is increasingly colliding with the laws of man in Brazil, where the right to voluntary isolation is enshrined in the constitution and where it’s illegal to contact isolated Indigenous groups without government permission. Now, for the first time, Indigenous communities in the Javari Valley are mounting a unified defense, using the tools of the state against the unwanted and, they say, at times illegal religious advances into their territories.

“They are invading our lands without our permission,” Marubo, 40, told the leaders. “And without the permission of the authorities.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... issionary/
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:clap: Go, Indigenous People!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.bing.com/search q=Kindred+Spirits+Sculpture+Ireland&form=hpcapt&filters=HpDate%3a%2220211101_0700%22&shtp=Email&shid=d78c771c-0d2c-404e-b84e-fe2d53c700df&shtk=TmF0aXZlIEFtZXJpY2FuIEhlcml0YWdlIE1vbnRo&shdk=VG9kYXksIG9uIHRoZSBmaXJzdCBkYXkgb2YgTmF0aXZlIEFtZXJpY2FuIEhlcml0YWdlIE1vbnRoLCB3ZSdyZSB2aXNpdGluZyBCYWlsaWNrIFBhcmsgaW4gQ291bnR5IENvcmssIElyZWxhbmQuIFdoeSBjb21lIHRvIHRoZSBFbWVyYWxkLi4u&shhk=gMFFEKZ3r%2Fn8%2B%2FEz1s4KXMZOUvqw75b17xI8n6sMiRY%3D&shik=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmluZy5jb20vdGg%2FaWQ9QUJUNjM3NkVBOUM2OTU0MjJEMTJDQzgwQjlEMDMzNjM1QUM5NzgzQkQwMzhEMzU1MkFGMkQ4MTcxQzExMjg0REI5Ng%3D%3D&shtc=0

Happy Native Americans Month!
th (22).jpeg
th (22).jpeg (25.02 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Catholic Bishops Avoid Confrontation With Biden Over Communion
In a vote, they endorsed new guidance on offering holy communion to public figures but did not overtly mention the president or other officials who support abortion rights.

By Ruth Graham
Nov. 17, 2021

BALTIMORE — The Roman Catholic bishops of the United States backed away from a direct conflict with President Biden on Wednesday, approving a new document on the sacrament of the eucharist that does not mention the president or any politicians by name.

At issue was the question of which Catholics, under which circumstances, are properly able to receive communion, one of the most sacred rites within Christianity. For some conservative Catholics, the real question was more pointed: Should Catholic politicians who publicly support and advance abortion rights be denied the sacrament?

For some of the most outspoken critics of Mr. Biden and other liberal Catholic leaders, the document represented a strategic retreat. Still, its very existence highlighted a divide between conservative American bishops and the Vatican, and pitted some of the nation’s most powerful prelates against the country’s second Catholic president.

It also illuminated sprawling rifts among ordinary American Catholics, falling along lines that have become familiar since the presidency of Donald J. Trump scrambled both political and religious loyalties. An emboldened Catholic right wing, including media outlets and activist groups, now feels increasingly free to antagonize Pope Francis and his agenda.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/17/us/c ... union.html
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

An emboldened Catholic right wing, including media outlets and activist groups, now feels increasingly free to antagonize Pope Francis and his agenda.
I don’t claim to be the religion guru or anything, but plainly someone is doing it wrong here.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

I'm guessing they use this same float for the Easter parade.

qbawl

Post by qbawl »

poplove wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:07 pm I'm guessing they use this same float for the Easter parade.
► Show Spoiler
I bet he's cold!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

poplove wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:07 pm I'm guessing they use this same float for the Easter parade.
► Show Spoiler
WTF? Actually, Easter would be a really wrong time for that (the empty cross is sort of a thing there). Maybe a Good Friday parade.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:o Merry Christmas? Where was that picture taken? I don't remember the presumed original subject was overweight :doh: This guy was carrying his cross up a mountain slope?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

They's crucimafying SANTA? :shock:
Image Image Image Image
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Obviously, Gestas. They picked up the wrong cross. 8-)
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

You know John, from up here I can see the top of your garage.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Wuss. They aren't even using real spikes through his hands and feeties. :fingerwag:

Sad! :nope:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Consider the soaring steel prices these days :twisted:

Or stuck in the supply chain crisis in L.A. Harbor :twisted:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I think it better to not subscribe to any man-made organized grift-based religions. --

And I certainly am not going to walk neighborhoods trying to "convert people", nor condemn them.

But that is just me. Walk your own path.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

"Bah! Humbug! Bishop condemned for telling Children there's no Santa!!"

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/b ... 39271.html

"No ho ho. Italian Church apologizes over Bishops claim about Santa Claus"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... anta-claus

The bishop has zip to apologize for, imo. But, as ever, truth loses when vast amounts of money are on the line.
Hic sunt dracones
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Suranis wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:04 am "Bah! Humbug! Bishop condemned for telling Children there's no Santa!!"

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/b ... 39271.html

"No ho ho. Italian Church apologizes over Bishops claim about Santa Claus"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... anta-claus

The bishop has zip to apologize for, imo. But, as ever, truth loses when vast amounts of money are on the line.
https://forward.com/opinion/479514/our- ... -daughter/
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

OMG, am I going to prison? I told my kids (eventually)! :shock:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,