TESLA and Elon Musk - anything not elsewhere

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Mehdi Hasan @mehdirhasan wrote: The owner of this website, richest man in the world, again pushes the neo-Nazi ‘great replacement’ conspiracy theory, which isn’t just dumb (because many new immigrants are conservatives), but also inspired terrorist mass shootings in El Paso, Christchurch, Pittsburgh, & beyond.
Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: Biden’s strategy is very simple:

1. Get as many illegals in the country as possible.

2. Legalize them to create a permanent majority – a one-party state.

That is why they are encouraging so much illegal immigration. Simple, yet effective.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

When did the Biden administration change the natualization laws and procedures ? :think: :confuzzled: :confuzzled: :confuzzled:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Tesla tires last for hundreds of thousands of miles? Who knew?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Off Topic
recent Tesla fun facts from accross the Great Pond:

In the city of Bale (Basel) Switzerland the police have added a handful of Teslas to their fleet. Recently they followed a suspect riding on a bycicle. They try to stop and aprehend the guy, but they cannot open the car doors how much they try. In the end they have to climb out of the windows to put handcuffs on the guy. :lol:

In Oslo (Norway) a guy stopped at a parking over a fjord. He says he forgot to put the car in park and accidentially hit the gas(?) pedal. The car and passengers took a deep dive into the sea. At the time in the fjord a party was out in a sauna pontoon boat, they came to rescue. The sauna goers jump skimpily clad into the water to help. Car passengers got immediate relief from the cold water in the sauna hut. :lol:
duck dodgers
Verified: ✅ Until 23,500

Post by duck dodgers »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:50 pm Tesla tires last for hundreds of thousands of miles? Who knew?
I had to replace mine on the model X after 18,000 miles.
"You can syndicate any boat you row"
raison de arizona

He's on a roll.
https://x.com/RonFilipkowski/status/175 ... 42969?s=20
Ron Filipkowski @RonFilipkowski wrote: Elon made exactly 100 posts on here since yesterday including replies that began at 12:18 AM ET on Saturday and continued until 5:08 AM ET on Sunday. They seemed to be pretty much uninterrupted for 29 hours straight and pretty much every major far-right account was engaged with.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:50 pm Tesla tires last for hundreds of thousands of miles? Who knew?
Great catch on that! Also, too it appears the tires need to be specifically molded to have recesses for the hubcap.
tek

Post by tek »

There is an important axiom in engineering:
"just because you can doesn't mean you should"
raison de arizona

They tried to make me go to Rehab
But I said no, no, no
Popular Liberal 🇺🇸 @PopularLiberal wrote: BREAKING NEW: According to a report, the board members of Tesla have urged Elon Musk, the CEO, to seek rehabilitation.

It has been widely known in Silicon Valley that Musk frequently indulges in drugs, and some individuals felt pressured by him to also consume them. Investor and senior management concerns regarding Musk's drug use affecting his performance as a CEO were previously expressed in a Wall Street Journal article.

The recent article from WSJ further establishes the link between Musk and the board members, indicating that drug-filled parties and flights are often the basis of these connections.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

That would explain so much.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

I wonder who gets all Elmo's "money" if he ODs.

Not to wish harm upon anyone.

Well, maybe a teensy little bit.
raison de arizona

If anyone has a hookup for WSJ I'd love to read the source article.
Former Tesla director Larry Ellison invited Elon Musk to Hawaii to 'dry out' from drugs, report says
Katherine Tangalakis-Lippert,Lloyd Lee
Updated Mon, February 5, 2024 at 8:16 AM MST·3 min read

• Elon Musk's drug use worries his business associates and board members, The Wall Street Journal reported.
  • Larry Ellison, an ex-Tesla director, urged Musk to "dry out" in Hawaii, sources told the Journal.
  • It came as friends of Musk's were encouraging him to go to rehab, some sources told the Journal.
► Show Spoiler
https://news.yahoo.com/former-tesla-dir ... 53670.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Viral videos of Tesla drivers using VR headsets prompt US government alarm
Transportation head says drivers must pay attention at all times after clips emerge of some using what looks like Apple’s Vision Pro

Guardian staff and agencies
Tue 6 Feb 2024 02.53 CET

US transportation secretary Pete Buttigieg on Monday said human drivers must pay attention at all times after videos emerged of people wearing what appeared to be Apple’s recently released Vision Pro headset while driving Teslas.

Buttigieg responded on Twitter/X to a video that had more than 24m views of a Tesla driver who appeared to be gesturing with his hands to manipulate a virtual reality field.

“Reminder – ALL advanced driver assistance systems available today require the human driver to be in control and fully engaged in the driving task at all times,” Buttigieg said.

Apple’s Vision Pro was released last week and blends three-dimensional digital content with a view of the outside world. Apple, which says people should never use it while operating a moving vehicle, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Vision Pro was revealed in June as a headset that allows users to interact with “apps and experiences” in an augmented reality (AR) version of their own surroundings or in a fully immersive virtual reality (VR) space, said Alan Dye, Apple vice-president of human interface design.

“Apple Vision Pro relies solely on your eyes, hands and voice,” Dye said in June. “You browse the system simply by looking. App icons come to life when you look at them; simply tap your fingers together to select, and gently flick to scroll.”

“Apple Vision Pro will change the way we communicate, collaborate, work and enjoy entertainment,” Apple executive Tim Cook said. However, the company never intended the Vision Pro to change the way people commute.

Tesla did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... gieg-tweet
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Shocked, shocked I say. At least we now have a reason (not excuse) for Elon's erratic behavior. Hardcore drugs.

On the VR headsets while driving issue, can witnesses video or snap a photo of the license tag/plate and let LE deal with those reckless drivers?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Elon Musk wants 25% voting control in Tesla before advancing AI

Jan. 16, 2024 4:56 AM ET
Tesla, Inc.

Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) CEO Elon Musk said he would be uncomfortable growing the electric vehicle maker into a robotics and artificial intelligence leader unless he owned at least 25% of its voting shares, nearly double his current stake.

The voting control would be "enough to be influential, but not so much that I can't be overturned," Musk wrote on social media platform X. "Unless that is the case, I would prefer to build products outside of Tesla (TSLA)."

"If I have 25%, it means I am influential, but can be overridden if twice as many shareholders vote against me vs. for me," he added. "At 15% or lower, the for/against ratio to override me makes a takeover by dubious interests too easy."

The CEO said he would be okay with a dual-class share structure to get the voting power he wants, but he was told it'd be impossible post-IPO.

Musk already owns around 13% stake in Tesla (TSLA), or ~411M shares out of the 3.19B shares outstanding as of the end of Q3. Recall that the billionaire had sold tens of billions of dollars worth of his Tesla stock in 2022 to fund his $44B buyout of Twitter.

On multiple occasions, Musk asserted that Tesla (TSLA) is already a significant robotics and AI company. At its AI Day in 2022, where an early prototype of humanoid robot Optimus was showcased, Musk said the event aimed "to show the immense depth and breadth of Tesla in AI, compute hardware and robotics."

Before that, Musk predicted that Optimus "ultimately will be worth more than the car business and worth more than full self-driving."

Musk's intent to have more voting power will add to the pressure Tesla's (TSLA) board is already facing, which includes concerns over his compensation, his split focus while running multiple businesses, as well as his controversial political statements.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/4054959-e ... i-robotics
raison de arizona

SpaceX has moved from Delaware to Texas.
raison de arizona

Who could have foreseen this? Completely unexpected!
Some Cybertruck Owners Are Already Reporting Rust Spots
Two members of a Cybertruck owner's forum report orange spots on their brand-new trucks. Rain may be to blame.

Four years after its reveal, the Tesla Cybertruck actually reached production with a stainless steel body. That means it stands out on just about any road on Earth, but it also comes with some obvious drawbacks. The biggest is that it is a massive surface of bare metal fully exposed to the elements, creating a unique rusting risk. At least two Cybertruck owners have already reported rusting issues on an enthusiast forum.

In posts unearthed by Business Insider, two separate Cybertruck owners have reported orange spots on their vehicles. In classic car forum fashion, one of the original posters was called a "liar" by another user before they shared photos of the car after a wash with dish soap, which show small spots throughout the surface. The other original poster reported that they shared their findings with a Tesla repair center, which responded by saying that repairs would be possible when the location got the necessary tools next month.

While the Cybertruck owner's manual is not yet public, a video of the manual posted online notes that the vehicle does not have a clear coat and includes specific instructions about removing potentially hazardous materials from the stainless steel surface before corrosion can form. The section does not note rain as a specific concern, but it mentions other common roadside elements like oil, tree resin, dead bugs, and road salt as potential problems worth dealing with immediately. Given that the truck is meant for high-performance adventuring and has been tested on at least mild off-road surfaces, the durability concerns are worrying.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4679 ... ust-spots/
► Show Spoiler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I thought stainless steel was impermeable to, well, stains, and rust, like stainless steel place settings. :confuzzled:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:15 pm I thought stainless steel was impermeable to, well, stains, and rust, like stainless steel place settings. :confuzzled:
There are many formulations of stainless steel. Some are more "stainless" than others.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:15 pm I thought stainless steel was impermeable to, well, stains, and rust, like stainless steel place settings. :confuzzled:
It's more resistant, but not impermeable.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Not a metallurgist but the corrosion resistance (mainly due to chromium in the alloy) is obtained at the reduction of other desirable properties. If stainless steel had similar mechanical properties to ordinary mild steels it would be used much more widely, even at extra fabrication cost, for the reduced maintenance costs. However stainless steel is rarely used where strength is important. In fact its yield strength (the load at which it deforms permanently rather than springing back) is only ⅔ that of mild steels, although its ultimate tensile strength (the load at which it fails) can be comparable.

That's not really relevant to the corrosion stuff here, although perhaps the grade used by Tesla compromised in corrosion resistance for strength?

I dunno, I'm only acquainted with structural steels.
raison de arizona

True story.
https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1758195059684499910?s=20
Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: Wisdom has been chasing me, but I have always been faster 💨
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I missed where those people live, but as a Florida resident, I can tell you there’s no such thing as rust proof stainless steel. Am I right, fellow Floridians?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I worked with stainless steel tubing & sheetmetal for semiconductor equipment manufacturing for 20 years. An easy way to reduce corrosion is passivation of the stainless steel. Just put it in a bath of nitric or citric acid and it strips the free iron out of the surface leaving a nice chromium oxide finish. Or you could make it shiny and electropolish it by putting it in a slightly gooey bath of sulfuric & phosphoric acids and running a charge through it.

Of course, a decent clear coat would be cheaper & more durable, and would generate far less toxic waste.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”