Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Pete Buttigieg - Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg - Jan 19, 1982 - Mayor & Transportation Secretary

Let's get back to normalcy. Does normalcy fit into your schedule?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Pete Buttigieg - Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg - Jan 19, 1982 - Mayor & Transportation Secretary

Post by RTH10260 »

sad-cafe wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:34 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:18 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:55 am https:// twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1546145540684988418?s=20&t=k1LM2J-EelergNoftl8L6Q
THAT was a thing of beauty!

is this on youtube for me to grab? I can't find one
https://youtu.be/htCV-lCbI6E
sad-cafe

Re: Pete Buttigieg - Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg - Jan 19, 1982 - Mayor & Transportation Secretary

Post by sad-cafe »

thank you
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:17 pm :lol:

Wait a second how exactly did that guy pronounce the word satire?
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I can't watch. Could somebody sum up?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:39 pm I can't watch. Could somebody sum up?
I watched it but have no idea why it was noteworthy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

It wasn't.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:20 pmIt wasn't.
Sort of what I figured.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

There are several recent videos on this thread. I can't tell which one you all are referring to.😵‍💫
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:14 pm There are several recent videos on this thread. I can't tell which one you all are referring to.😵‍💫
"Which uses more electricity..."
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:16 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:14 pm There are several recent videos on this thread. I can't tell which one you all are referring to.😵‍💫
"Which uses more electricity..."
Thanks. I wondered if it was the bicycle one.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Hmmm… what’s notable?
Pete gets not only what the real answers are, but knows the dog whistle (not best term for this— how about Own the Libs?) talking points are and comes prepared to deal with both.

I have heard more than one Michigander in this very red county say they would die before they would drive an electric vehicle (even when gas prices were higher every weak) and offer rationalizations along the lines of the knee-jerk comment that no one can afford a $90k car. Pete disarmed that handily. He forced the conversation to take a rational tone and made it possible for those who repeat such banter to hear other realities.
He refused to give in to the concept that our present infrastructure is unable to handle electrical loads that don’t exist yet. He let through some nonsense ( like the concept that if the goal is that 50% of cars sold in 2030 would be electric, that means that 50% of cars owned in 2030 will be electric).

But the concerns raised about the grids needing to handle energy for transportation that is currently supplied by gas stations and that that is a tremendous amount of energy….the considered solutions and the path to their reality is interesting.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:39 pm I can't watch. Could somebody sum up?
Massey sez: "Isn't the 2030 target hard? Aren't we going to need a lot more electricity?"
Buttigieg sez: "Yes and Yes. That's why we need to get moving".

I couldn't figure out the point of the questioning. He wasn't being asked how we are going to get there, he was being told that it should be put in the too hard basket.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
tek

Post by tek »

Senator Perry was being dishonest with his $55K number :liar:

I just checked KBB. Nissan Leaf, $28895.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I’m astonished that Massey would just flat out lie like that. :bored:

This whole “alternative facts” thing we are living is bullshit.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:18 am I’m astonished that Massey would just flat out lie like that. :bored:

Scott Perry was the one lying about the cost of the EVs. Massey was just asking about the grid keeping up with the demand if everyone bought EVs.
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:01 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:18 am I’m astonished that Massey would just flat out lie like that. :bored:

Scott Perry was the one lying about the cost of the EVs. Massey was just asking about the grid keeping up with the demand if everyone bought EVs.
Oops. TY! As far as the grid, can you imagine if everyone in Texas bought EVs? That would be some Bad News methinks.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

What was unsaid:

(1) Sometimes we can charge our EVs at our employer or while shopping. More and more companies and businesses are installing charging stations. Charge while you work or catch a movie.

(2) For people who have garages, you generally charge while you sleep--overnight. That time period is usually when there is a surplus of energy on the grid.

(3) There will be excess electricity available (not a ginormous number but a material one at that) when EVs are 40-50% of the vehicles on the road because oil wells, pipelines and refueling stations (among others) will not be using the same quantity of electricity as today because they are moving less product. I think most refineries generate their own power by burning methane.

This question of what uses more juice, a refrigerator, a HVAC unit in summer, or an EV was stupid. As was his discussion about a two-car family and charging both vehicles. It is true that in some places in this vast country there are two workers who drive 80-100 miles per day to work. But there are also other places where only one person works and drives 8 miles to work.

Most EVs can AC charge at 30 amps with 240 volts, or roughly 7.2 kilowatts. Depending upon climate and other factors, let's say an EV averages using 300 watt-hours per mile. Many average less--as low as 240 Wh/mile. That means that one hour of charging 7.2kWh, or 7,200 watt-hours will add an average of 7,200/300 up to 7,200/240, or between 24 and 30 miles per hour of charging.

Of course we could all add solar panels to our roofs and help take some of the anticipated stress off the grid!
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
raison de arizona

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I love this guy, he has such potential. I only hope there's still a democracy around to take advantage of it.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

This may sound strange, but I have from time to time seriously considered giving up my US citizenship.

Of course, I can't really do that at this time because I haven't taken Australian Citizenship (yet. I'm a horrible procrastinator sometimes.)

But then every time I listen to Buttigieg I completely forget that idea because I'll to be a citizen to vote for him.

I expect Biden to run and win in 24, and then Harris and Buttigieg will have an exciting primary season in 28 . But if Biden doesn't run in 24, then Harris 'should' probably be given a her chance. Which means that Buttigieg might not get 'his turn' until 32. I hope I'm still around by then.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona

Number one first and foremost, fuck Biden. Get him out of there. I will vote for him with bells on if he is the nominee, but come on. Can’t we do better? Number two, I’m a Harris supporter from way back. I have the t-shirt and spent three figures, which is a lot for me for a single politician, supporting her as the nominee in ‘20. I am less than impressed. I hate to say that. About both of them, really. But bring on Buttigieg. Bring on some new blood. Please. Pretty please.

Return to “Biden Administration”